• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game hurt its series more?

• Assassin's Creed Unity

Votes: 351 38.3%
  • Resident Evil 6

Votes: 410 44.8%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Votes: 62 6.8%
  • God of War Ascension

Votes: 93 10.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of these games ended up representing a bit of a nadir for their respective franchises, in terms of critical and/or commercial relevance. Even though they did well enough, in the longer term, the series' developers recognized that these franchises were getting tired, and needed a full fledged structural and mechanical reboot in order to survive. Each of these franchises then proceeded to get that reboot, which went on to be wildly praised.

But which one do you think was the most harmful?

• Assassin's Creed Unity remains one of the most high profile failures of this generation. Wildly ambitious, it ended up coming out entirely unfinished, with so many glitches it became a meme. It represents the final hurrah of the old style of Assassin's Creed; we got Syndicate after this, sure, but the series' fate was sealed, and Ubisoft would go on to reinvent Assassin's Creed in the style of the open world action RPGs that they are today
  • Resident Evil 6 did well enough commercially (though it still ended up missing initial expectations), but critically, represents the worst period for the franchise. Reviews mauled it (including a memorable sub-5 score from GameSpot's Kevin VanOrd), and the game itself represents the worst of the action game tendencies the franchise had picked up on over the preceding years. For a series that had put out a game widely considered as one of the greatest of all time, Resident Evil 6 was a horrific misstep. Capcom would go on to reinvent Resident Evil with Resident Evil 7, and then find the perfect balance between all its styles with Resident Evil 2
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword on paper did well enough, at least critically-it's a 93 on Metacritic, and won over 40 Game of the Year awards. Nonetheless, the game represents the only true "flop" Zelda as a series has had. It was Nintendo's most expensive game at the time of its release, and ended up selling a series' low on the largest install base the franchise has sold to. Fan and retrospective critical response ended up being largely negative as well (especially since the game was compared unfavorably to the contemporaneous Dark Souls and Skyrim on multiple fronts), causing Nintendo to go back to the drawing board and rethink the series top to bottom with A Link Between Worlds and Breath of the Wild
  • God of War Ascension is... not a bad game at all. The issue is it was the sixth game in the same template, trying to milk a story that was already told from start to finish, with none of the spectacle or graphical pizzaz that people usually bought into the games for, and a tacked on (albeit surprisingly fun) multiplayer mode. It ended up bombing critically and commercially, and not even the included The Last of Us demo could really help sell it. The failure of Ascension would cause Sony Santa Monica, led by Cory Barlog, to take a good look at where they saw the series going in the future, delivering God of War 2018 as a fresh new take on the franchise.
In all of these cases, the developers followed up with some soul-searching, and putting out arguably the best games in the series in response to the criticism and feedback, so in the end, one could almost say these nadirs were necessary to get these franchises back to their flagship status. But at the time, which one was the most harmful to its franchise of all of these, and why?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
it's skyward sword it's not a question
none of these games ruined their franchise and a lot of them have been forgiven but the masses will never let down skyward sword

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unity was the last straw for a lot of people when it came to Assassin's Creed. The series has never fully recovered and has now evolved into something else with Origins and Odyssey.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
Mass Effect Andromeda.

I mean, all the series in the op bounced back, and some are stronger right now than they ever have been. No pick would be fair. Although RE6 is by far the worst game of the bunch.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE6 I guess? I don't know, each of those series have come back with some of their best games so I'd say none of them hurt their respective franchise.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Is it wrong that I actually thought each one of those was a great game? Especially Unity. Probably my favorite AC, if I'm being honest.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this, they all bounced back right away with little to no consequence.
That's what I say in the OP as well, which is why I clarify "most harmful at the time"

The real answer is Fallout 76.
I was going to put that, but we're not actually sure it's the nadir (the next one might be worse...)

Unity was the last straw for a lot of people when it came to Assassin's Creed. The series has never fully recovered and has now evolved into something else with Origins and Odyssey.
Assassin's Creed is more successful now than it has ever been, though...

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
None of them as the sequels to these games still sold a ton of copies and in some cases even smashed franchise records.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I get Unity having crazy technical issues, but I still consider it a solid AC. Still one of the prettiest games this gen, with some of the best movement from an animation perspective. Also, was the first to really try for proper stealth to get through areas, effectively being able to ghost missions.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I would say Unity. For all I know, Syndicate was a good game that also saw a decline in sales due people still remembering how bad Unity was.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, all of these series recovered immediately after lukewarm/broken entries. Unity is the only game with a disastrously buggy launch, and the AC games were being pumped out way too frequently at the time. I'd go with Unity, but none of these series were exactly "damaged" in any real way.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
GoW:A killed the franchise if it wasn't for Cory pitch. Sony didn't want anymore GoW games after that one.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean Unity forced Ubisoft to slow down and make AC into something new. Something that sells and reviews better than the games that came before it. So I would argue Unity didn't hurt its franchise at all.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
it's skyward sword it's not a question
none of these games ruined their franchise and a lot of them have been forgiven but the masses will never let down skyward sword

It didn't hurt the franchise when the next two games were two of the best in the series with the latter being one of the greatest games of all time.

Skyward Sword was more of a wake up call for the greatness to follow.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GoW:A killed the franchise if it wasn't for Cory pitch. Sony didn't want anymore GoW games after that one.
That was my vote too. I actually think Ascension is one of the better games of that bunch, but yeah, it did so badly the series was basically dead until Cory managed to convince Sony to give it another shot.

None of the other franchises faced cancellation.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
RE6 is the only example of a legit bad game, but it was also flanked by other bad RE spinoffs like Operation Raccoon City, Revelations 2, and Umbrella Corps. Just a lot of bad RE games that made people question the quality of the franchise to the point where RE7 being good was a shock.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed is more successful now than it has ever been, though...

No, it's not. It is successful, but it is not outselling games like AC3 or AC4. Additionally, what I said was that the series was forced to radically reinvent itself and many people are no longer interested in what it has become. So it's not like God of War or BOTW where the reinventions were critically well-received and massive sellers.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
None of them really hurt the franchise. For as poorly as RE6 reviewed, it ended up selling a lot. The same is true for the rest as well.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Hurt them is a strong word because none of them are hurting at all.

I guess you could say unworthy entry.

For me, that would be GOW: Ascension. It was an awful game.

I did not like Skyward Sword due to motion controls, but the dungeons were amazing.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Unity was my favorite AC since the Ezio trilogy (not the remasters, just the three games).

I voted RE6 because I don't want a John Woo action flick when I play an RE game.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Unity. Its issues were the most objectively bad coupled with the fact that most people were burnt out on the AC formula by that point, and it had to be patched to be playable. I didn't even buy a copy, it came with my Xbox One.

LoZ has had much worse games than Skyward Sword, and it'll take a lot more to actually impact the sales of that franchise

God of War Ascension was just kinda...there.

RE6 has problems but I think more people are willing to let it slide because of the amount of content available and the fact that it's still pretty playable.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to say none. All of them got quality releases this gen. Maybe I'd say unity

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Unity's biggest contribution was being a single puzzle piece for the conversation/controversy over games coming in way too hot that we had in 2014. It was no worse than Destiny 1 or Master Chief Collection in that regard.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 6 is the only one that had a less successful sequel follow right? That would be the mark of actual damage to the franchise.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All those series are still great and sell very well so yeah, I agree - none
The question is for the time

No, it's not. It is successful, but it is not outselling games like AC3 or AC4. Additionally, what I said was that the series was forced to radically reinvent itself and many people are no longer interested in what it has become. So it's not like God of War or BOTW where the reinventions were critically well-received and massive sellers.
According to Ubisoft, Odyssey is the most successful game in the franchise.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I actually love it, Unity was the peak of the Ubisoft circlejerk.

RE6 is a very good choice, to the point of Capcom reaching to the point of cancelling RE7 and rebooting it into something completely different.

Mass Effect Andromeda (and later Anthem) might be a huge blow to Bioware.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Halo 4 and 5 hurt more than any of those titles.

Out of the list provided, I don't think any of them hurt their respective franchises at all.

The setback of Unity negatively impacted sales of Syndicate which in turn gave us better AC games. It's basically a harmless meme that led to better games.

RE6 wasn't great but the very next game was brilliant and now the franchise is a very good spot. Whatever damage RE6 did, it didn't take.

Skyward Sword is a good game. I don't see how it could damage the IP. Also, Zelda is a Nintendo IP. The IP can't be damaged beyond repair and the Zelda IP has never been stronger.

GoW: Ascension was forgettable, it didn't hurt none whatsoever. Again, GoW has never been in a better spot.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
All of them end up rebooting the series for the better in the long term, so I'd say none.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
As a fan of Resident Evil 6, it definitely almost killed the series and was not the direction most fans wanted it to go in, myself included.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Gotta say I think it is pretty ridiculous to lump Skyward Sword in with these other games. Aside from the motion controls, the game underneath was actually quite good.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
RE6. I am so happy that RE7 sales eventually supassed it but it's intial sales suffered because of how bad RE6 was.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
No, it's not. It is successful, but it is not outselling games like AC3 or AC4.
That's not the only metric to judge a game's success. Buzzwords such as "player engagement" that annoy us so much now are actually very important, and Odyssey's got mad player engagement even a year out from launch. It's the fastest selling game in the series, and the highest selling current gen AC, not to mention Ubisoft projects it to become one of their highest selling AC games to date (maybe it already has hit that milestone).

To suggest that AC hasn't had a spectacular recovery with Origins and Odyssey is highly inaccurate.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Why is RE6 there?

It's the second best selling game in the series and it's not even the worse critically.

Fallout 76 should be there.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Out of those, I'd say it has to be RE6 (but Ascension is a close second).

How come you didn't mention ME Andromeda though?

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
None of them. I didn't like RE 6 at all, but commercially it did very well.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I know a lot of people who liked RE6. Personally I had a lot fun playing it with my brother

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
RE6 all but killed Resident Evil, necessitating a soft reboot with 7. Unless we throw Mass Effect: Andromeda in I don't think anything else can top it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know people are going to say RE6, but the game sold well even in it's rereleases. saying it damaged the audience's perception of the franchise is bunk by every measure

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
God, are we still pretending Skyward Sword was somehow bad? It had its issues but it's still quality.
Sold well, reviewed well. Some of the best dungeons and areas in the series. The best Zelda and Link dynamic.
The combat was engaging if you aren't one of the people that would rather die than try motion controls.
The game needs a Director's Cut. To cut some of the tutorial and repeated text boxes down and it is one of the best in the series.