• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
This is absolutely awesome of Ubisoft to do. Great on them to donate.

And I've been wanting to play Unity for a long time despite the problems/memes. Love the French Revolution.

How would this run on my PC?

GTX 1080
16gb RAM
1440P monitor

Probably seems like a silly question, but I've only heard horror stories about PC performance...

Very nice of Ubisoft, would have been better if they let people donate in place of a purchase though.

Your CPU will probably bottleneck it a bit, but hopefully not too much. Your GPU will be fine and you have enough RAM of course.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
It certainly is a looker. I'm currently enjoying Origins from the Humble monthly but tried this earlier. First thing I noticed was the combat and controls were much better in Origins. Still likes what I saw in the early hour I played.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Good on Ubi. A little embarrassing to admit, but when I saw the news about Notre Dame the other day, one of the first things I thought was, "Well, at least it's sort of preserved in AC Unity." I'm among the 10 to 15 people in the world who actually liked that game.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Do all the Assassin's Creed games play like this? I think it just unsold me on the upcoming Humble Monthly (AC: Origins).

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Do all the Assassin's Creed games play like this? I think it just unsold me on the upcoming Humble Monthly (AC: Origins).

Not really. AC1 through Revelations all play a certain way, Black Flag through Syndicate play a bit differently, and Origins/Odyssey again changed up the formula a bit.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Origins was a gameplay reboot. They're not comparable at all. It plays like an hybrid of The Witcher - Dark Souls - Old AC.

And Unity is trash. Breathtakingly beautiful trash, but still trash.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Good on Ubi. A little embarrassing to admit, but when I saw the news about Notre Dame the other day, one of the first things I thought was, "Well, at least it's sort of preserved in AC Unity." I'm among the 10 to 15 people in the world who actually liked that game.

Not the first thing but I thought the same too. lol I was like "At least AC Unity has a 1:1 scale recreation of it"

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
As much as I liked its technical aspects (it was the first game I played on my brand new Xbox One), I had abandoned Unity amidst an Assassin´s Creed burnout: playing several games of the series in a row set a heavy fatigue on me.

Eventually, I was sent to Paris for a work project and I remembered the game. Once I returned to my country, I reinstalled Unity and I couldn´t believe the quality of its recreation.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Nice gesture from Ubisoft. I'll download it and give it a try, though I don't know if my GTX1050 will be up to the task.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
I loved this game from every aspect, the only thing that left me wanting was the modern day stuff. Really wish they'd improve that and focus on a central character

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
Very nice gesture by Ubisoft.

Highly recommend people check the game out at least, especially if you happen to be the kind of person that wasn't really on board with the new direction AC took with Origins.

Unity still has plenty of issues but can't really argue with free. Also as plenty of people pointed out it's still a tremendously good looking game with some very ambitious tech behind it (for which they paid the price in performance as we all know, of course.)

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More donations aren't needed. Billionaires have already pledged hundreds of millions. The state of France and the Catholic church wouldn't let it stand in ruins anyway. I guess this isn't harming anyone but it feels weird considering the humanitarian causes that actually do need more support
It's not an either or situation. You can and should contribute to causes that you won't. Guilting into supporting only causes you feel worthy is not the way to go dude.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unity left a lot to be desired, but I think it's still the best looking game in the series, and quite honestly one of the best looking games in recent years. Unfortunately those brilliant visuals are marred by overly aggressive LOD settings.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I actually just started playing this game last weekend (as I continue to binge the entire series). They actually did do Notre Dame justice in terms of the level of detail and their obvious dedication to the source. For those of you that haven't played it, it's well worth it so far. It's great to see that they're willing to share their labor of love with gamers everywhere.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I started playing it last year just before rdr2, I was very happy with what I played of it. There is some strangeness to it, mostly the crowds as an example. But I really enjoyed walking the streets of Paris and the stealth action. There has been some interesting characters in it too. Hearing that the newer game veer from unity makes me a little nervous about where the series goes after this one, but as of right now, I'm so glad that I didn't skip over Unity like so many suggested. I echo many others who suggest to check it out for the non-existent price.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
OMG what the fuck is this.

This is one of the most garbage-tier combat systems I have ever experienced in my life. I feel like I'm underwater.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
OMG what the fuck is this.

This is one of the most garbage-tier combat systems I have ever experienced in my life. I feel like I'm underwater.

Yeah it's... not great. Use smoke bombs to escape from combat, just use counters when you can't. Thankfully the stealth mechanics are much better developed than in AC2, so you really shouldn't need to do too much combat.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's... not great. Use smoke bombs to escape from combat, just use counters when you can't. Thankfully the stealth mechanics are much better developed than in AC2, so you really shouldn't need to do too much combat.

Honestly it's not just the combat, it took me about 30 minutes to realize I basically hate how this entire game plays like. It feels horrendously unresponsive. Oh well it was free. I enjoyed this franchise back in the PS3 days but I guess I've truly left it behind.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly it's not just the combat, it took me about 30 minutes to realize I basically hate how this entire game plays like. It feels horrendously unresponsive. Oh well it was free. I enjoyed this franchise back in the PS3 days but I guess I've truly left it behind.
The last two games feel nothing like how Unity plays. Unity's troubled development is very apparent when it comes to game feel.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
jlVNkYX.jpg

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it was a "sorry we really screwed this up" present from Ubisoft to people who bought Unity.

Anyone who bought the Unity season pass (and therefore had the DLC already) got another Ubisoft game instead from a selection of 6. As bad as the game's issues were, at least Ubisoft's response to them was pretty decent.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great gesture from Ubisoft but I'm also someone really hates how it "feels".
Played until I was able to reach and climb Note Dame and gonna uninstall now.

It reminded me of all the terrible aches that the series had before they freshened it up with Origins.
Just really unresponsive and sluggish (gameplay not story). Bummer because I actually enjoy the "learning" aspect these games bring and
I read the codecs etc.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Really nice of them to do this. Running around in this game with some new hardware that can brute force and I'm really amazed at how good it looks. There are definitely LOD issues for far buildings, but just at street level or inside buildings it is a level of graphical quality that I would put up there with RDR 2 and other modern open world games. Considering how long ago it came out it's pretty impressive.

Oct 29, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked before, but for some reason uPlay always fails at downloading AC Unity after I download 15.77 GB. I get the message "Download failed. Please check that you have an active connection to the internet and sufficient space on your hard drive, then click retry to start the download again or try again later", except I have plenty of space in my SSD, internet connection, and have been trying this since yesterday. I just downloaded AC III to the same SSD just fine. Anyone know what the deal is?

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
The first thing I did when I heard the Cathedral was burning was Google this game to see how well it was re-created here. It was easily THE landmark in the game, and one of the most memorable locations.

I'll happily revisit this on PC, thanks Ubisoft.