• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrazGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say, Black Flag at least, looks bloody spectacular in handheld at native res.

I couldn't even play this maxed at 1080p at 60fps solidly at release on PC and playing now it doesn't look or feel any different. I am sure it is, and foliage is definitely cut back in terms of movement but to be playing this handheld when a few years ago my beefy PC struggled is amazing. And as I recall when I was 40+ hours in an update from Ubisoft wiped my save and I never returned.

I stopped with AC after Unity and doubt I'll go back, but I'd replay any of the early ones again,.

All these switch ports of games I have sat installed on my PC to maybe play at least once more but not having the time and now to be able to play on the go, this fucking console is like living the dream. Keep the ports coming I say.

Now please, please bring the Ezio Collection.

Last edited:

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I really loved both Rogue and Black Flag. If you have a Switch and haven't played these, I'd highly recommend them.

Does anyone know what the size of the Rogue DL is?

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I might have to get this for Switch. I got Black Flag for free from Amazon at PS4 launch... wasn't really excited for it, but there weren't any other games I wanted (I had already bought every game I wanted for launch), but ended up LOVING it. The pirating stuff was by far my favorite part. Anyway, this would be cool to have as a physical copy for Switch and it seems like it's a solid port. Sold.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Rogue performs as well as Black Flag does.
I'll try it later and post some impressions, though I probably will not put much time into it since I'm really not keen on playing through two Assassin's Creed ramp-ups at the same time, and also because I expect it to be identical or indistinguishably close to identical.

Does anyone know what the size of the Rogue DL is?
European eShop says 7.1GB. Might be different depending on region.

Did they fix the deadzone? Because in the Wii U version it's ATROCIOUS and completely put me off of the game after 20 hours.
I haven't played the Wii U version so can't directly compare, but the deadzone seems fine to me. I vaguely remember reading people complaining that the Wii U deadzone only left a small edge of the stick's range for input, and if that's an accurate description, then the Switch is much better. I am not having issues moving the camera, targeting enemies (aside from the usual old-AC-style targeting stickiness) and shooting things, including small things like iguanas.

There is also motion aiming. I don't care for it personally, but it is there, so perhaps that might help mitigate some deadzone concerns.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
If they sold Rogue separately for $20 I probably would've bought it. I loved the world and sea battles of Black Flag but that main story was absolute garbage and nearly every main story mission sucked.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I'd guess that's the logical next step for Switch, some time in 2020.

I believe this Rebel Collection has Arno and Jacob costume DLCs. Maybe they're hints for their next port? Unity is not that much demanding game, not a limit pusher, Ubisoft could easily downport the game.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I believe this Rebel Collection has Arno and Jacob costume DLCs. Maybe they're hints for their next port? Unity is not that much demanding game, not a limit pusher, Ubisoft could easily downport the game.
They aren't necessarily hints. Rogue originally had an Arno outfit to begin with, while the Jacob costume was added to the remaster of Rogue from early last year. It probably wasn't too much work to also add them in to Black Flag for this release.

Are both games on the cart? I never played Rogue but loved Black Flag.
Black Flag is on the cart, Rogue is a download. Doesn't require a code though.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Got my copy today. You need to download Rogue via the cart rather than a code in the box, which presumably is a good thing in terms of the cart actually being able to access both games for a potential future owner?
Black Flag is on the cart, Rogue is a download. Doesn't require a code though.
could you specify what region you're talking about? because I'm still not 100% clear if NA and EU are identical since EU has the detailed info on the cover "IV on card, Rogue as download" but NA has nothing on there, at least on the official Ubisoft assets) I see on the store pages.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I believe this Rebel Collection has Arno and Jacob costume DLCs. Maybe they're hints for their next port?
I wouldn't think so, Arno's outfit was already in Rogue, the Rogue remaster added Jacob, Bayek and Aguilar (all of which are in this collection). ACIII's remaster also had a bunch of new outfits that weren't in the original ACIII, including Edward Kenway and Shay Cormac, but also Arno, Jacob, Aguilar, Bayek and Alexios (Alexios has been added to this collection also).

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017

Unity is probably the most demanding (and gorgeous) AC game lol. The base PS4 and Xbone can't even run it properly.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
could you specify what region you're talking about? because I'm still not 100% clear if NA and EU are identical since EU has the detailed info on the cover "IV on card, Rogue as download" but NA has nothing on there, at least on the official Ubisoft assets) I see on the store pages.
I admittedly don't know, I was just repeating what I heard elsewhere ^^; My guess is that it's the same in the US since that's also how AC3R worked on Switch in the US, but I really can't say for sure. Sorry.

dabbling

Dec 3, 2018
I've never played an AC game before but been tempted many times. Is Black Flag an ok place to jump in?

Is there a lot of animus (I think that's what it's called) stuff that links in with older games or is it pretty standalone?

The historical settings and gameplay have always interested me but the time travel plot elements do nothing for me.

I would like to play Origins at some point if I get a more powerful machine, but it's not on Switch, obviously.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've never played an AC game before but been tempted many times. Is Black Flag an ok place to jump in?

Is there a lot of animus (I think that's what it's called) stuff that links in with older games or is it pretty standalone?

The historical settings and gameplay have always interested me but the time travel plot elements do nothing for me.

I would like to play Origins at some point if I get a more powerful machine, but it's not on Switch, obviously.
Black Flag is very standalone. It has a new main character introduced in it, a separate story in the present day that doesn't require knowledge outside of it, and ends satisfyingly.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

I've played 1, 2, Bro, Rev, III, and some of IV and you can completely ignore and forget about the meta-plot in all of them and mentally fast-forward through it and just focus on whatever the respective time-period the game is actually about.

dabbling

Dec 3, 2018
Black Flag is very standalone. It has a new main character introduced in it, a separate story in the present day that doesn't require knowledge outside of it, and ends satisfyingly.

Thanks! I'll put it on my watchlist and wait for a sale. I think I saw the AC3 port on sale a couple of times.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
There's definitely better games to start with (ACII for sure, but I'd also say that Unity, Origins and Odyssey are better starting points). It's the best starting point available on Switch though - ACIII gets pretty heavy on the lore and Black Flag doesn't go quite as far as ACIII with that.

I think the game itself is more than good enough to make up for its shortcomings as a starting point though, and AC's story, while convoluted and drawn-out, isn't that difficult to understand at its core, and Black Flag (like most games in the series) has a database of stuff to read that will mostly tell you about historical locations and characters and game mechanics, but will also fill in many of the story details for you.

If you're tempted, you may as well go for it and if the game ever manages to really confuse you, ask here and someone will fill you in pretty quickly.

If I remember correctly about 10% outside-the-Animus stuff, mostly doing inconsequential things that, if you're not familiar with the story, will probably get boring pretty fast. The historical portions of the game have much fewer links to the other games though, so the historical story should be easy enough to follow as its own narrative.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017

Black Flag was the first game in the series after the story arc from the earlier games was wrapped up. It does spoil the games that came before it, but otherwise, it's a good place to jump in since it kind of starts a new overarching story of its own. It also helps that it's just a pretty solid game all-around. And Rogue is the direct follow-up to Black Flag in terms of both gameplay and placement in the series' timeline, so it's okay to play that afterwards too.

I loved the Animus-related / modern day-related stuff in the games, but if you end up not liking it, it doesn't require you to play it much. A lot of it is optional in both games in this collection.

bitunoriginal

Oct 27, 2017

I'm in the UK if that helps.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Only in that way that I know I still need someone from NA to actually confirm it lol. but thanks. :)
I'll be going out to GameStop tonight (if my partner is awake when I get home from work, at least), so I'll see if they have any copies there that might have that information on the box.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
I'm picking up the game in a couple hours. I can confirm if Rogue is on card or not, if not already confirmed.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
I can confirm the US version of Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection includes both games and DLC for IV on the card. No download required!

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Black Flag is the last Assassin's Creed game I loved. Never played Rogue, which always sounded interesting! May need to collect those sea shanties all over again on the Switch BABY.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
With Dragon Quest Heroes I&II also rumored to be coming West, man, if 32GB cards are becoming a thing now, holy crap 2020 and 2021 are going to be interesting for Switch.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So the US version is or isn't with a download? Because if it's the entire thing on the cartridge, I'm importing this sucker.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
So the US version is or isn't with a download? Because if it's the entire thing on the cartridge, I'm importing this sucker.
Everything is on the card.

what the heck, even though there's no indication a download is required, when booting the game up, it does state you need to download Rogue from the eShop. That's kind of messed up. Sorry guys.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
Also confirming that Rogue requires a download on the US version. When you first open the game this is what you see (taken with my phone, apologies for potato quality).

4nlJWmb.jpg

Update: Additional items not included on the cart that require a download include the bonus manga, novel, and the videos in the "videos and images" section. Downloading Rogue, the manga, and novel (but not the videos) was 8.2 GB.

Q8GCrRc.jpg

WghW9pO.jpg

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Great to hear these are performing OK.

I'm playing through AC3 on Switch now and I actually dont find it too bad other than some very obvious pop-in d the weirdly bright eyes (even in dark scenes), but I'm still early, haven't even started playing as the main character yet.

I forgot how goddamn long AC3's opening is.

I would LOVE it if they make the Ezio collection in Switch. They're my favorite games in the series. Love the setting, the characters, the meta-progression (upgrading the town, upgrading Roman landmarks, building the Assassin's guild, etc).

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Anyone with the rebel collection knows if the game features 5.1 surround sound when docked? its doesnt state it on the eshop page, but that wrong in most cases(games that do have it dont state it on the page and game that dont have it like la noire states that it has it). Can anyone with a 5.1/7.1 set test for me if the game features surround sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.