• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been interested in this game for a long time - I really dig the premise and vastly prefer pre-Origins AC.

I have generally liked the series, though I found that Revelations and III were missteps. I loved Black Flag and Syndicate was great (apparently an unpopular opinion!)

Both Black Flag and Rogue are on sale on the Switch. I can play either PC or Switch version, but I do like the idea of Black Flag's ship battles going portable. PC version of Rogue is much cheaper, and I already own Black Flag on PC.

Thoughts?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I loved playing through it. You get to see the other side of the story during some of those games. And it ties to multiple games directly (AC3, AC4, AC Unity).

It is very similar gameplay-wise with Black Flag though.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
It's great, loved it. It's more of Black Flag, so if you loved that one, go for it.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It's more of Black Flag's gameplay. It reuses some locations from AC3 but if you havent played that yet, cool.
Story is whatever. Cool cocnept, mediocre execution. Game is shorter than BF, considerably.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Its great.
Also related note: The port is amazing.
I took it camping and it was like black magic.
Solid 30fps 95% of the time, 720p. 1080p and still solid docked.
The definitive version of the game.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
AC Rogue spoiler:

You have to kill Adéwalé, therefore it's trash.

Serious answer, it's alright. Worth playing before starting Unity as it leads into that.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I havn't played rogue.

But for what it's worth I'll say that Black flag is genuinely one of the best ports I've played on the switch, and in my opinion it's gameplay is better suited to a portable platform than a full console. Even at full price I've felt more compelled to play this version than replay my original copy or even continue Odyssey.

The whole package also includes the Aveline DLC and Freedom Cry as well. There's a lot of content.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I really hope they update 3 to bring it in line with 4 and rogue. Its nuts how badly 3 runs considering how amazingly 4 and rogue(I assume) run

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really like it, it has a straight to DVD thing going on, where it's rather short story and the side quests are very simplistic and repetitive. Playing a templar on paper sounds cool, but being hunted by assassins gets boring. It might be the only AC I don't like, although I never tried Unity or 1 properly. The only proper town is a redesigned version of New York from 3, before it burnt.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Felt like a best hits of AC Black Flag, and III. Interesting story, but they could have gone further with the premise. Worth playing if you are a fan of the series.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
If you liked Black Flag, there's no real reason not to give it a shot. I'm a bit backwards in that I played Rogue before Black Flag.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I dropped AC4 after an hour for various reasons but I 100% Rogue. I loved it.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I didn't think much of it. It's more of Black Flag but not as good, with an awful protagonist who has possibly the worst 'oirish' accent I've ever heard.

The best thing about it is how it ends.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I didn't really like it, it has a straight to DVD thing going on, where it's rather short story and the side quests are very simplistic and repetitive. Playing a templar on paper sounds cool, but being hunted by assassins gets boring. It might be the only AC I don't like, although I never tried Unity or 1 properly. The only proper town is a redesigned version of New York from 3, before it burnt.
Trust me it could never be worse than 1 the first game was the most boring rote repetitious trash i have ever played Fantastic setting trash game

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
it's alright the best parts of the game are the story missions and the artic sea but they are really short/spread out. New York is annoying with the assassins and the other sea location is just dit Black flag
The story is interesting but not well executed

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
It's a decent direct-to-dvd follow up to Black Flag.

While it improves on some aspects of BF, especially by cutting down on the more annoying instafail stealth moments of that game, it's clear that the budget wasn't as high. The narrative, from the writing to the voice work is fine, but of a noticeably lesser quality than Black Flag.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Rogue isn't quite Black Flag, but it's a solid and reasonbly short AC game. It's much better than ACIII. If you're missing old-school AC, then its definitely worth a play until Ubi does the inevitable old school-style AC game.

Oct 25, 2017
Highly recommend it.
I never finished the PS3 version due to poor performance, but the PS4 version is wonderful.
I liked it even more than Black Flag, so if you liked Black Flag, you should get it.
I felt it had better pacing and didn't eat up as much time with sea travel, while still having the naval aspect.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a...uh...portmanteau of black flag and previous games' multiplayer and dynamic/frontier type stuff. For the two sailing maps, everything is in the world unlike the separately-loaded zones of Black Flag. While not all the terrain is traversable, there are some landmasses you can cross through from one side to another, the beginnings of what we would ultimately see in AC Odyssey. Add to this a pretty densely-packed pre-fire Lower Manhattan, a sort of precursor to AC Syndicate, and there's a bunch to play around with. There is a modern-day component like black flag, and it's really for the lore connoisseur though the puzzles are neat.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Rogue has no tailing missions which automatically makes it better than Black Flag. Overall I felt like Rogue was a more refined version of Black Flag, but shorter and with a crappier story.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Rogue has no tailing missions which automatically makes it better than Black Flag. Overall I felt like Rogue was a more refined version of Black Flag, but shorter and with a crappier story.

...what do you mean by that?
I literally finished a mission that was "tail this dude who got benjamin franklin's lighting stuff"

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I just started playing Rogue on Switch after beating AC3.

AC3 definitely had some performance issues, pop-in, and in cutscenes characters eyeballs glow weirdly bright which looked terrible.

Rogue immediately looked and felt better to play than AC3 when I started it. It helps that the color scheme of the game is much more vibrant that A 3's desaturated look.

Rogue seems to do dynamic resolution scaling, so at times it'll get lower res and alias-y, but it helps the performance so I'm OK with it.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
It is excellent. It's very much a AC4 part 2 but the story is better. Bit of a shame that it wasn't given the same AAA treatment as AC4.

Dozer

May 30, 2019
Orlando, FL
Agree with everyone mostly, I like the comparison to a straight-to-DVD sequel. If you liked Black Flag it's for you, but it's obviously a "B-team" effort.

That being said the final optional ship battle is insane, awesome, and oppressively difficult in the best way. Play it!

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
It's good. It's a sequel to Black Flag that was unfortunately looked over because they kept it to last gen. The environments are pretty unique for the series and I really like the River Valley map, it's probably the most intricate of the old-AC areas with how everything is connected in one zone.

Really they should have spruced up Rogue for current gen (PS4/Xbone) like they did Black Flag and kept Unity in the oven for another year so it wouldn't be a disaster.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
It's okay. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't among my favourite games from AC series. Rogue iterates and refines on ACIII, Black Flag and Freedom's Cry ideas and mechanics. A story indirectly ties to those games, modern storyline picks up after events of ACIV. There is an interesting twist with main protagonist and his goals that differ from regular AC games. New environments are varied, but from what I remembered, game wasn't really that long.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
It's a great conclusion to the Kenway Saga as it ties in nicely with IV, III and sets up the events in Unity. By showing the Templar side over the Assassin side instead, it makes it the more enjoyable i think.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
I may have to pick this up, if the ps4 version ever goes cheap (it was still over £10,which is a no-no for a ps3 port).

Is the Ubi pirate game still coming out? I was totally expecting them to capitalise on the success of Black Flag....I'm still waiting for more pirate goodness.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
How were the switch versions of this and 4? Worth getting over PS4?
I 100% AC4 on Switch, the port is amazing. Native resolution in handheld mode, solid 30fps with rare dips here and there, nothing ground breaking. They gave a lot of effort for the port. Rouge on the other hand, the resolution is dynamic, mostly native when you are on ships whereas open areas, it's definitely dynamic. It's not too bad but it got to me because due to coming off the great port of AC4.

On top of that, the framerate is 30fps in rouge however, it dips and lags quite a lot in fortresses and it's not exactly perfect in open areas. Furthermore, there is a visual glitch or a shimmering effect on the ocean, grass and trees. Combine that with no anti aliasing, it looks really distracting. I stopped playing and I'm hoping for a patch.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Can you explain why? I have Black Flag on PC (think I got it free) but never played it.

Game is kinda grindy and the gameplay loop is quite shirt. You gotta do essentially the exact same ship boarding like 20 times for some upgrades.

Its personal preference but when a game is grindy I prefer it being portable so I can do it every so often without getting bored, rather than having to sit down in one spot in front of a screen for several hours doing the exact same ship boarding over and over again.