• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I strongly disagree with most of it. The modern day isnt any worse than ACRev, ACBF, ACU, ACRog, ACS. Disappointing? Sure, worse than those? Absolutely not IMO.

While I agree the build up to the assassinations was lacking for the most part, from a gameplay perspective I thought it was one of the best in the series. It really gives the player complete control on how to do it.

Also, one of the things I like that they have done with the series is show how an Assassin can come from any background. I liked to see how Edward used the Assassins to be a pirate, I enjoy watching a man from Italy use the Assassin's for revenge and during his story, grows into a leader of the Brotherhood and not just someone using it as a tool. Similar to Connor, except we never got to see him grow after the revenge.
I'd argue the least interesting stories are the ones about lifelong Assassin members. AC1, ACU, and Syndicate all had pretty forgettable inside the animus plots.

The combat is a ridiculous improvement on the old style. While I enjoyed it and have fun playing the Ezio Collection, the freedom and control given to you makes for a much more enjoyable experience. The Anubis fight would be a joke using the old combat system.

It does give you complete control but there aren't a lot of options for you. Look at a series like Hitman, the way you take out a target while having the open freedom to choose it is great, but it gives you many clever ways in order to do it that makes each target feel unique and fun to figure out all the different ways you can tackle it.

Something feels lacking about them in AC:O from a gameplay perspective. It would have been nice if they were more unique and you had various ways to take out the target that fit within the context of their character, location, story, etc.

Giving the player the freedom doesn't mean a lot when you really only have very simple means in order to do it, sneak up to them or just run in sword swinging. No clever disguises, no traps, no setting up "accidents" or anything else to figure out.

It's probably the weakest area of the game imo.

Even then it's still one of my favorite AC games, the world design/gameplay is near the top of any of them.

Borshay

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
It does give you complete control but there aren't a lot of options for you. Look at a series like Hitman, the way you take out a target while having the open freedom to choose it is great, but it gives you many clever ways in order to do it that makes each target feel unique and fun to figure out all the different ways you can tackle it.

Something feels lacking about them in AC:O from a gameplay perspective. It would have been nice if they were more unique and you had various ways to take out the target that fit within the context of their character, location, story, etc.

Giving the player the freedom doesn't mean a lot when you really only have very simple means in order to do it, sneak up to them or just run in sword swinging. No clever disguises, no traps, no setting up "accidents" or anything else to figure out.

Even then it's still one of my favorite AC games, the world design/gameplay is near the top of any of them.
Thats a good point I hadn't thought of. I haven't played the newest Hitman, but does it tackle it in an open world?

Wearing disguies and having a low profile in general I think would be a boost to the series. The main character is too often a known hero/well doer in the games.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The towers at the very least do put more ? on the map. While a lot or therre by default, towers discover a few each, at least most do.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
so I think missed a tool tip or something, what's the deal with these over-leveled dudes marked with the red icons looking for me everywhere?

Whats the point of the towers anyway? It says gives Ansu more perception but I dont understand that
as far as I can tell increased perception is the only thing it does, which makes Senu able to mark targets from greater distances

Deleted member 30458

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017

It's probably the next step but I wonder if they could make it work with the current scope of the open world, which is at the core of the games. Isn't Hitman in smaller worlds-levels with less variables to take into account ? It would be more contextual.

Otherwise that would make a perfect spin-off series, focused only on perfect assassinations in black box levels.

25 hours in and 39% completion. This game is a monster. So many question marks, must visit all of them.

But then you visit "lvl n" question marks/sidequests and you're "lvl n+3" and there isn't any more any kind of challenge or sense of risk. (I'm lvl 11 but it's already broken in that regard, I gain too much exp for doing nothing/doing basic exploration and lvl up too quickly)

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I just got the game and before leaving Siwa, the opening area, I explored some of the desert to the north and noticed
suddenly there was a swarm of scarabs, some incoherent speaking, a burning bush and a guy on a camel. Is this a bible easter egg or something? I've heard of the burning bush before.
Anybody else notice this?

Loving the game so far!

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
re1Gb62.gif

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
so I think missed a tool tip or something, what's the deal with these over-leveled dudes marked with the red icons looking for me everywhere?

as far as I can tell increased perception is the only thing it does, which makes Senu able to mark targets from greater distances

Those are Phylakes (bounty hunters/police) who are hunting you because
you killed Gennadios in Alexandria.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's probably the next step but I wonder if they could make it work with the current scope of the open world, which is at the core of the games. Isn't Hitman in smaller worlds-levels with less variables to take into account ? It would be more contextual.

Otherwise that would make a perfect spin-off series, focused only on perfect assassinations in black box levels.

But then you visit "lvl n" question marks/sidequests and you're "lvl n+3" and there isn't any more any kind of challenge or sense of risk. (I'm lvl 11 but it's already broken in that regard, I gain too much exp for doing nothing/doing basic exploration and lvl up too quickly)

Not sure why they couldn't. All it really is is level design, having the npc with a path and routine it follows (which they already do with most of their npc's in the world) that they go through in that area and then designing it so that there's multiple ways you can take them out over the course of their routines. No reason it would need to be done in a small scale. The Hitman games have gotten fairly good at having large levels with their targets and how to do this. It's not one large open world but there's no real reason it couldn't work the same way within a large open world.

Borshay

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
Not sure why they couldn't. All it really is is level design, having the npc with a path and routine it follows (which they already do with most of their npc's in the world) that they go through in that area and then designing it so that there's multiple ways you can take them out over the course of their routines. No reason it would need to be done in a small scale. The Hitman games have gotten fairly good at having large levels with their targets and how to do this. It's not one large open world but there's no real reason it couldn't work the same way within a large open world.
I'd love to see a fortress go on lockdown if they discover shady work a foot. Gives more of a reason to hide bodies, disguise your way in, or force to find another route in, like through caves or an open window.
As it stands, if you're discovered they just throw more enemies at you.

EDIT: Which could create a scenario of, sneaking in, putting a trap on the door, go out and cause a ruckus. The Target retreats back further into the stronghold (where arrows are rendered useless), but they trigger the trap you had set previously.

Or if you sneak deep in the stronghold, you call the Brotherhood to make a scene outside, which again will cause the Target to retreat, where they could trap themselves inside with you.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
I just beat the game. The ending is
bad

because

I feel like the ending they tried is undeserved. The actions of Bayek and Aya didn't make sense to me, in the end. Especially Bayek. The beginning of the game felt disjointed, but the ending is a whole other thing of bad. The last missions just throw you around different areas, really fast, and the story is confusingly built. The middle was so good, in this game. The side quests were always great, as well. They should have saved assassinating Julius Caesar for another game. Thrown in the end, like this, is just not what it deserved.

The ending just feels not right. Motivations feel forced, and I think a sequel will be hurt by where they left off.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's at the very least doing much better on PC than the last handful. It had something 40k peak players, something that's nearly 3 times as much as even the hits like Black Flag, and of course that's not counting Uplay numbers.

Borshay

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin

I feel like the ending they tried is undeserved. The actions of Bayek and Aya didn't make sense to me, in the end. Especially Bayek. The beginning of the game felt disjointed, but the ending is a whole other thing of bad. The last missions just throw you around different areas, really fast, and the story is confusingly built. The middle was so good, in this game. The side quests were always great, as well. They should have saved assassinating Julius Caesar for another game. Thrown in the end, like this, is just not what it deserved.

The ending just feels not right. Motivations feel forced, and I think a sequel will be hurt by where they left off.

Completely agree.
Aya being the main character is a game in ancient Rome just seems perfect. While they could still do that, this seems like such a waste. Could've been a decent first mission at least to start the sequel.
I like what they were aiming for, they just completely failed to execute it properly.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
bad

because

Completely agree.
Aya being the main character is a game in ancient Rome just seems perfect. While they could still do that, this seems like such a waste. Could've been a decent first mission at least to start the sequel.
I like what they were aiming for, they just completely failed to execute it properly.
Indeed.
The end is badly paced and somewhat feel forced. They should've made Aya's mission in Rome as an expansion for next year, where she could fully utilize all of the systems in the open world structure like Bayek in Egypt. However, I'm not sure what's the alternative for the ending if not for the current one. They could make Flavius as the real last target for their main objective, vengeance. But the whole plot about the problem between Egypt and Rome would be unresolved, and people would riot because the true ending in Rome is locked behind DLC.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
It will, at some point. Unity was not that successful due to bad word of mouth. Origins is the total opposite, it has received good impressions from both critics and fans. I believe it'll push the sales even further beyond Unity as time goes by.

It's odd that reviewers have been less kind to it than consumers. I went into it thinking it would probably be another Syndicate (which I did not like) with a much better coat of paint, but ended up loving the hell out of it. Yeah, I screamed and complained a lot about the optimization bug, and the story has some... issues, but I like the direction they've taken the gameplay. Hopefully, word of mouth will continue to help sell copies.
It actually pulled me away from Horizon ZD.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
It's odd that reviewers have been less kind to it than consumers. I went into it thinking it would probably be another Syndicate (which I did not like) with a much better coat of paint, but ended up loving the hell out of it.

I think reviewers are a bit more critical because it doesn't really do anything new in terms of open world games. I mean, it's a very well-made game and I had a blast, but it doesn't exactly reinvent the wheel.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
bad

because

What about Bayek's actions didn't make sense? He establishes the Assassin brotherhood, continues to fight against the Order of Ancients, and stands for freedom. Aya had been drifting away from Bayek over the course of the game, and her anger made her cold and dead inside rather than hot-headed like Bayek. I didn't find myself questioning anything either character did (beyond being so trusting of Cleopatra and Caesar, but that was the "twist" and/or their flaw). I agree that the final few sequences were rushed and confusing (pretty much everything after Caesar is introduced, to be honest), and I was actually surprised that the game didn't end with Bayek's last segment (and the modern day introduction of William Miles), but I don't feel that any of the actions taken were out of character for either Bayek or Aya.

Borshay

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
Indeed.
The end is badly paced and somewhat feel forced. They should've made Aya's mission in Rome as an expansion for next year, where she could fully utilize all of the systems in the open world structure like Bayek in Egypt. However, I'm not sure what's the alternative for the ending if not for the current one. They could make Flavius as the real last target for their main objective, vengeance. But the whole plot about the problem between Egypt and Rome would be unresolved, and people would riot because the true ending in Rome is locked behind DLC.

The story gets wonky, it went from about revenge, to about Rome and Cleopatra. The moment Cleopatra becomes Queen and her brother dies, the story derails.

If the focus remained on Bayek and his revenge, having deciding to move on and focus on helping everyones children and founding the Brotherhood. With Aya deciding she cant just drop it and going to Rome to end it, they part ways.

Which I thought is what the game was going for, but everything seems so rushed.
Pretty much make it AC2s ending but with a wife lol.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I think reviewers are a bit more critical because it doesn't really do anything new in terms of open world games. I mean, it's a very well-made game and I had a blast, but it doesn't exactly reinvent the wheel.
Horizon did not too. It's a combination of things that have been implemented in past open world games, but it's reviewed way better than Origins.

There are some things that Horizon did better and vice versa. But overall I think they're pretty much comparable and equal.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

It did for me because I haven't liked an AC game since Black Flag. LOL

Horizon did not too. It's a combination of things that have been implemented in past open world games, but it's reviewed way better than Origins.

There are some things that Horizon did better and vice versa. But overall I think they're pretty much comparable and equal.

Horizon was a supremely polished game at launch with graphics that can't be beat, a strong art design, well written story, and superb animations - at least for Aloy and the machines. The combat is also very fun apart from melee.
It's not too surprising that it reviewed so well.
That said, I think Origins is right there with it - although for different reasons. The world building and all the different AI systems are super impressive. Horizon's map is tiny by comparison and has very little going on in it - I bet the map is only around 5 miles across - and you won't see a lot of emergent gameplay with its AI systems.
All I know is, it's going to be tough for me to pick my GotY winner this year.

Last edited:

Aster1

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't know if someone already asked this, but do you guys believe that we will get a new Trial of the Gods this Tuesday?
Or do you think we will have to wait for next month?

I'm really curious.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Indeed.

What would have been better, IMO, would have been to just do another round of assassinations after the crocodile. 3 more targets would have been a good balance, IMO. It would have given more to explore, and kept the best part of the game, intact. Then, just end it with the sequence after the crocodile, leading up to Cleo betraying you. Have Aya and Bayak chase after her, in revenge, and roll credits. Or whatever they want to do. It seems like they wanted to separate the two, so Aya can have her sequel in Rome. If that is the case, just kill off Bayek. Would have made a lot of sense to do that, and added emotion and motivation to the sequel. Not perfect, but I feel like they could have pulled this off, instead. It's not much more work, and fixes the big problems.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Wonderful game, surprisingly adept story but man did it feel like this game was going to end about half a dozen times before it actually does.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I don't know if someone already asked this, but do you guys believe that we will get a new Trial of the Gods this Tuesday?
Or do you think we will have to wait for next month?

I'm really curious.

I sure hope so because it was a pain in the ass killing Anubis at level 36. I don't think I will be able to play tomorrow so I killed him tonight so I won't miss out on him. I used my trusty cursed Sarissa spear so I could kill the zombies in a few hits and I very slowly chipped him down with my bow. I really hope I didnt just wastes 30 minutes on that fight for nothing...

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
What about Bayek's actions didn't make sense? He establishes the Assassin brotherhood, continues to fight against the Order of Ancients, and stands for freedom. Aya had been drifting away from Bayek over the course of the game, and her anger made her cold and dead inside rather than hot-headed like Bayek. I didn't find myself questioning anything either character did (beyond being so trusting of Cleopatra and Caesar, but that was the "twist" and/or their flaw). I agree that the final few sequences were rushed and confusing (pretty much everything after Caesar is introduced, to be honest), and I was actually surprised that the game didn't end with Bayek's last segment (and the modern day introduction of William Miles), but I don't feel that any of the actions taken were out of character for either Bayek or Aya.
I felt like it was out of character because, while Aya was getting more distant, it did not seem it would go full on "We should never see each other again." That didn't feel right. IIRC Aya said something like "We knew from the beginning that our love was impossible." There was literally no feeling like that. Ever. They seemed in love, the whole time. Some misgiving because they lost their kid, but still stronger together. I would have believed it, maybe, if it was a heartfelt goodbye, but it was cold. Cold on both sides. Bayek seemed to, more or less, just agree with her, and leave. WHAT? Aya, maybe. Not Bayek though. He fought forever to redeem his kid, and clearly loved Aya tremendously.
Like I said, it didn't feel right, or deserved. I feel like Ubi wrote on some paper where the story would pan out for the, already being made, sequel. They ran out of time, though, but had to match up with what some other Ubi studio was already developing, and pushed everything, as fast as possible.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
Finished the main story yesterday. It's far from a perfect game, but it's the best Assassin's Creed in years and the entire experience as a whole was so good that I want to keep playing and I'm already looking forward to the expansions.

That being said, after wrapping up the story I've been working toward the platinum (playing on PS4 Pro) and today I realized that a bug will prevent me from getting it if it doesn't get patched. Ubi has identified this bug and is currently working on it, but no guarantee a fix would be retroactive and that's a bit frustrating. Here's what's happening:

Any items picked up by Aya during her segments won't carry over to Bayek. One of the papyri in Alexandria, at Alexander the Great's Tomb, is accessible to Aya. I grabbed it with her, and now the game will not transfer it to Bayek or respawn it, so I am unable to complete that location and the trophy for completing all locations will never unlock.

I encountered a few other bugs during the game but they were fairly minor, other than the LOD/texture streaming issue, and for a big open world game it wasn't bad. I also played Skyrim and the Witcher 3 at launch, so these big games being a bit buggy is just part of their charm. I'm just annoyed because 70+ hours of work toward that platinum is about to grind toward a halt.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
Are the Trials one time only? Like, since I don't have the game yet, will I miss out on getting this piece of gear, or will they cycle through again?