• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xplatformer

Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Lmao. If I see a patch download pop up on steam I'm cancelling that shit so fast. Only after people confirm the PC version doesn't get downgraded will I download it. After Dying Light I don't trust these developers anymore.

People really need to stop bitching do aggressively about performance in games where it really doesn't matter though. It really is a case of be careful what you wish for.

Agreed. It was a console game that I'd argue when released was very playable as was on the OG PS4. (cutscene performance wasn't acceptable imo) Performance complaints and console experience parity led to Ubi going back in and toning down graphics just to steady FPS.

The "gameplay" was fine before their changes.

Oh well, doesn't impact my gaming experience. I feel bad for those that have to sacrafice.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I gotta say, I might be turning into a big softie, but I really like that Bayek and Aya are already an item at the start of the game and (so far) there hasn't been any drama between them.

We need more stable couples in games.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the old AC Unity bug. Wouldn't say it's a downgrade.

Would love for someone to just install the game and go to this point, wouldn't be surprised to see it's always happened. We've seen how the low poly statue on the bridge was always there, people just noticed it and start to rant without any before and after.

Not saying the patch hasn't introduced more bugs, the Predator bow thing might be new, not seen a before and after in the same spot but I've seen all this before with Unity, people claiming a patch broke the LOD when it was bad from day one, you walk a bit closer and voila the object fully loads.

On AC Unity, sometimes it would be worse for someone else like a whole building would not load and just be a blank texture, for the other person it would just the roof or steeple next to it. Flag would just appear from nowhere if you just walk a bit further.

Ringu

Nov 1, 2017
Germany
Crocodiles actually leave dead bodies to rot for a while so that they soften up before eating them.
And then corpse jumps back up after the first bite :(
qdVWkvI.jpg

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
I couldn't take it anymore. I deleted the game data and will play it unpatched until they patch in the pre patch graphics on the Pro. I didn't pay $60 for an early Gen game, specially after it looked so damn good before..

Trials of the Gods be damned.
I gotta say, I might be turning into a big softie, but I really like that Bayek and Aya are already an item at the start of the game and (so far) there hasn't been any drama between them.

We need more stable couples in games.
Oh boy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
When it comes to the HUD they mentioned they were working on it for the next patch.

Hopefully that means we can select individual things, but I also hope we can make things contextual so they auto-hide when they aren't needed and appear when they are needed.

I'd like to use Minimal hud but it hides too much, I mean it's called minimal but really it should be "hide everything." You can't even see the things you pick up with that UI, it hides too many things that should simply show when you need them and disappear when you don't like the combat hud elements, etc.

Horizon: ZD was great at using a contextual hud to only show you elements of the hud when they were needed and then getting rid of them when they weren't.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm noticing a lot of side-quests now are being about "investigations". Starting to get annoying...

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
A single bug can remove anisotropic filtering, light sources, specular lights, ambient occlusion and LOD values? That's one hell of a bug.
This exact LOD issue introduced in this patch was in Unity, where it seems that things simply aren't loading as fast as they should be, as I noticed lots of pop-in that wasn't there before:
acu_2014_11_28_15_58_00_500_by_majorparsnip-d87y7e1.jpg

I'll go to this spot on the map and take another screenshot later today and see how the LOD holds up post patch:
assassinscreedorigins0suis.png

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
A single bug can remove anisotropic filtering, light sources, specular lights, ambient occlusion and LOD values? That's one hell of a bug.

Have we got evidence, a before and after of AF, light sources, specular lights and AO?

The lod of the statue on the bridge has been proven to be false, that's just how the LOD is. On console it's more aggressive, on PC you walk a bit further away and the same thing happens. DF has already noted the LOD. Textures on buildings not loading is a thing since Unity as far as I know, it may have got worse on 1.04 but we see people noticing these things more as they play that have always been there and the LOD can be randomly buggy, like a whole building is missing a texture.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Forging Siwa

"Not fake! Not fake!"
"Would you liiiiike?"

Bayek in combination with children: One of the best things the game has to offer. I always get a smile out of those :)

Props to the Voice Actor of Bayek. He does a great job in this game.

There is a YouTube video with him:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=5lUy2eUZyLI

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
This would be smudge city if AF was absent, it is not.

PC with full AF PS4
http:///0P8c.png

Sometimes devs can adjust AF on the fly, this AF being low at times might've always been there but you're just noticing. I also checked the AO and can't seen any difference in this scene at least.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a little busy lately and am late getting to this game so I was wondering if someone could answer a quick question for me: I read somewhere that Ubi put an ambient music frequency slider in the options menu. Does this actually work? Meaning, if you put it to "high" or whatever, does ambient music actually play more frequently?
Quoting myself for the new page to see if anyone has an answer.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
This would be smudge city if AF was absent, it is not.

PC with full AF PS4
http:///0P8c.png

Sometimes devs can adjust AF on the fly, this AF being low at times might've always been there but you're just noticing. I also checked the AO and can't seen any difference in this scene at least.

Thanks for this, yeah if AF was disabled, everything 2 steps beyond the character would be devoid of any filtering. This is what no AF does:

i5mkuladkrma.png

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Quoting myself for the new page to see if anyone has an answer.
Yes it does,I played it with high frequency but after a while it got old. So set back to default. I might talking out of my ass, but the way music was created here and actually since ac3, is less ambient friendly, it just doesn't loop and lend itself like ac1/2/bro /revelations did. And that's a shame

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Can confirm unpatched save files work with the patched version.

You can also download stuff like your outfits or future dlc from the psn store without having to update the game.

That's currently the definitive version to play on the PS consoles right now.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it does,I played it with high frequency but after a while it got old. So set back to default. I might talking out of my ass, but the way music was created here and actually since ac3, is less ambient friendly, it just doesn't loop and lend itself like ac1/2/bro /revelations did. And that's a shame

I've found the implementation of the music in this game to be absolutely horrible, it's like the game has no idea what the player is doing at the moment and thus has no idea what music to play. So, you'll get weird, loud combat music when you're just exploring a city or talking to someone.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
A buddy of mine hasn't touched an AC game since a few minutes of AC 2 and his mind is thoroughly and completely blown. Can totally understand why. These games are massive, and Origins seems to have the most solid variety of the bunch in a wonderfully realized setting.

Personally I love everything about this game save for the disjointed story and the RPG levels to items/enemies/quests. I'm skipping side quests because I don't want to continue to overinflate my overleveled status, and that sucks. Id' rather just run quests and side missions because they're there - rather than avoiding them because I'm overleveled, or running them because I need the XP to advance. Seriously just wish the whole idea of leveled loot and enemies would be buried in some deep tomb as an unnecessary relic of the past.

Similar point re: Horizon Zero Dawn's DLC. It'd be nice to download the expansion and just play it, but nope, its leveled. So it complicates matters (start a new game from scratch? run the expansion content overleveled at 50?).

Seriously, RPG leveling is my biggest bugbear with gaming these days. Would love to be able to play Origins, Horizon and Witcher 3 without that stuff somehow.

Last edited:

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Loving the game so far. The world is absolutely amazing and I love how the quests are done and tracked. Means I have a lot more freedom to do what I want. The "A quest is nearby" thing is awesome too.

Discovered my first bug today though. Was crouched next to a tree whilst assassinating a dude riding by on a horse. The animation showed me lunging through the tree to assassinate the NPC. After that I ended up stuck in the tree and couldn't run out of it lol.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Don't worry, it's not a late game spoiler, the drama starts with Cleopatra which is still act 1. Cleopatra is a really slimy person in this game.

Wait, what?

I thought I was near the end of the main story of the game..

47 hours in, cleared out all of Alexandria/Memphis, everyone dead except
the Crocodile.

Am I not near the end?

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
A buddy of mine hasn't touched an AC game since a few minutes of AC 2 and his mind is thoroughly and completely blown. Can totally understand why. These games are massive, and Origins seems to have the most solid variety of the bunch in a wonderfully realized setting.

Personally I love everything about this game save for the disjointed story and the RPG levels to items/enemies/quests. I'm skipping side quests because I don't want to continue to overinflate my overleveled status, and that sucks. Id' rather just run quests and side missions because they're there - rather than avoiding them because I'm overleveled, or running them because I need the XP to advance. Seriously just wish the whole idea of leveled loot and enemies would be buried in some deep tomb as an unnecessary relic of the past.

Similar point re: Horizon Zero Dawn's DLC. It'd be nice to download the expansion and just play it, but nope, its leveled. So it complicates matters (start a new game from scratch? run the expansion content overleveled at 50?).

Seriously, RPG leveling is my biggest bugbear with gaming these days. Would love to be able to play Origins, Horizon and Witcher 3 without that crap somehow.
Yes agreed. My suggestion to everybody is to play the game on hard. Levelling may well be one of the most difficult tasks to develop, so maybe in the future the Rpg developers can find a proper solution to this problem, who knows...
That said i think the game is absolutely phenomenal. This is the soft reboot they needed. Played 8 hours(!) straight today. I'm truly blown away and not the only one it seems. I love such games cuz they show us what this medium is capable of. This game man..

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Forging Siwa

"Not fake! Not fake!"
"Would you liiiiike?"

Bayek in combination with children: One of the best things the game has to offer. I always get a smile out of those :)

Props to the Voice Actor of Bayek. He does a great job in this game.

There is a YouTube video with him:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=5lUy2eUZyLI

The Spanish dub is also really good. Bayed VA is the same who does, for example, Rusell Crowe or Daniel Crage dubs. So yeah, top noch VA and not some cheap ones.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Ahasverus has a Pro, they're saying the unpatched Pro version is the definitive version, as the latest patches seemingly have introduced LoD and textures not loading fully bugs, the bugs aren't just limited to the PS4 Pro, reports elsewhere (sub reddits, official forums etc), users are saying the same issues happen in OG XB1 even XBX.

I personally disagree, the performance drops on it were very notable.

xplatformer

Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
That's what I'm trying to clarify, because most PS4 owners aren't running the pro.

Does the game look better for OG PS4 owners with acceptable gameplay performance if we go back to patch 1.03?

Tebitengri

Nov 7, 2017
Can confirm unpatched save files work with the patched version.

You can also download stuff like your outfits or future dlc from the psn store without having to update the game.

That's currently the definitive version to play on the PS consoles right now.
Fuck - can you re download the digital with no patches or I am out of luck?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Just fly with Senu and see how the LOD goes to hell in a second. Look at how blurry ground textures are now thank to the removal of AF.

The game used to draw everything in great detail, it was insane. When people asked for less draw distance to not see the pyramids from Alexandria they meant using some kind of fog, not making objects disappear beyond your nose.

This is happening to me too. When I loaded the game just now, none of the buildings had shadows or textures. It looks like a PS3 game now and I wish I was kidding.

Super obvious with Senu. I can see roof textures, bushes and trees popping in all around - and it's all close stuff. I really hope they fix this. :(

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox got the bug also. Just saw it on one of the big Garrisons. The rest was fine looking far away but that fort was blurry.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Have a question about the game's story before I pick it up. How is the story/plot in Origins compared to the quantity/quality of Assassins Creed II? My favorite part of the AssCreed series has always been the awesome storylines and cool scifi stuff thrown in. I know the present day stuff is pretty limited this time around but I wasnt expecting much in that department.

I redboxed it on PS4 (OG) when it first came out and played for about 3 hours and was pretty dissapointed with the performance. But I have a PC that would run it really well and would probably just get it for it.

EDIT: Wait, what happened with the latest patch/update with OG PS4s? Did it improve performance?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, they also fucked up the HDR with this latest patch. I had it looking great at 500 luminance, 400 paper white. Since the patch everywhere the sun touches has weird orange/red discolouration, turning the camera makes everything glitch grey and washed out.

I put luminance back up to 1000 and it seems OK now (if a little overblown now) but yeah.....not great. Definitely more pop in when using Senu now too.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Have a question about the game's story before I pick it up. How is the story/plot in Origins compared to the quantity/quality of Assassins Creed II? My favorite part of the AssCreed series has always been the awesome storylines and cool scifi stuff thrown in. I know the present day stuff is pretty limited this time around but I wasnt expecting much in that department.
It doesn't compare favorably. It's a different kind of storytelling, more minimalistic, told in tiny chunks.
I redboxed it on PS4 (OG) when it first came out and played for about 3 hours and was pretty dissapointed with the performance. But I have a PC that would run it really well and would probably just get it for it.

EDIT: Wait, what happened with the latest patch/update with OG PS4s? Did it improve performance?
Well that's one way to put it. Performance is better, but graphics got downgraded.