• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Quick question: Just killed
The Snake
and went into the modern-day segment to find
Aya's mummy.
Ran around the big cave outside the Animus chamber and stumbled upon a slab with Egyptian writing which Layla asks Dee(?) to translate. The translation opened up in a window but closed before I could read it. Is it important at all or just flavor text?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
So I just finished horizon zero dawn and I noticed this game has a decent sale on green man gaming. How similar are these two games? Am I likely to feel fatigued?

Tough question. If you're fatigued after HZD... probably. They share a similar open world design - and Origins is much bigger. Origins is fantastic though so I'd still grab it.

Quick question: Just killed
The Snake
and went into the modern-day segment to find
Aya's mummy.
Ran around the big cave outside the Animus chamber and stumbled upon a slab with Egyptian writing which Layla asks Dee(?) to translate. The translation opened up in a window but closed before I could read it. Is it important at all or just flavor text?

I missed it too and couldn't find it on the computer so I have no idea what it said. =/

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
No idea whats wrong with the end also imo.

Everything wrong with Origins final act:
- end game villains that come out of nowhere and aren't developed to an appropriate level
- poor pacing; it eventually moves on to focus on Events happening instead of the characters and how they are effecting them
- bad set up of the assassins Origins
- plot lines wrapped up to hastily or not at all
- characters making decisions based on information we the player haven't been getting/acting out of character
- story assumes you know information from outside of the game's story or from other media outside the game
- Bayek and Aya. I like the concept of what happens there but they really botched the execution
- Boring boss fights against people you don't care about that don't have you do any actual assassinating
- just the most anti climactic shit I've seen a while too.

I truly do love this game and the world they've built. Everything up til after the crocodile was fantastic. But I don't know if they were rushed or what, but some of this stuff afterwards is just plain bad. It feels like a bunch of the connective tissue was cut out of the story and it's really disappointing.

Oct 27, 2017
Reda cheat delivers again:
E17Bx.jpg

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I shot a bandit, who was hiding in a peasant's hut, full of arrows. The whole place caught fire and went up like a torch. I bet that peasant is super happy Bayek came to town.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
The side quests are really good. Just had one that started with the mundane task of protecting some farmers from bandits that
ended in an incredible tomb of the ancients.
Exploration like this really makes the game shine.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
I shot a bandit, who was hiding in a peasant's hut, full of arrows. The whole place caught fire and went up like a torch. I bet that peasant is super happy Bayek came to town.
Lol. I assisted a farmer in lighting some haystacks for him only for a worker to walk into a burning stack and burn to death. The farmer didn't even notice and appreciated my help.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The side quests are really good. Just had one that started with the mundane task of protecting some farmers from bandits that
ended in an incredible tomb of the ancients.
Exploration like this really makes the game shine.
Thats one of the better ones yeah. Its unlocks a achievement also. So its a special one. Wish the game had more like those tho. There are a couple of them but not enough imo.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game at 87 hours.

Excellent game one of the best worlds ever created with a good protagonist also.

That ending was pretty bad though,just like the beginning

I honestly had no idea who the hell
Flavious was.Like WTF when did he even appear in the game?!I did spend dozens of hours completing every side quest and location in the game before i began the final missions so maybe i just forgot about him.Just a terrible villain.Anyway Aya in Rome would be a great choice for the next game.

Also got the platinum,really simple to get.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said what the hell and bought the gold edition off steam yesterday. Figure this is getting more positive reviews than most AC games and i like AC games already. Hopefully the DLC is good.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. I assisted a farmer in lighting some haystacks for him only for a worker to walk into a burning stack and burn to death. The farmer didn't even notice and appreciated my help.

Just pretend that was his shitty neighbor who always played his music too loud. "Thank you, Bayek. Carl was an asshole!"

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
After 8 hours I feel like I can readily say that I just don't like it. I appreciate they effort they made in opening up the world and trying to revamp the combat but the combat is my main issue with the game: I hate it.

Fighting lots of enemies feels awful so stealth is more of a focus, which is fine. However, I feel like the stealth toolkit has been butchered too - I just feel weak as hell. Basically it all seems to come down to "how many predator bow arrows do you have?" As this is the main way of thinning out enemy camps. In previous AC games you felt like a hunter - like a proper, lethal assassin. Here though? I feel pretty pathetic.

If you do get spotted though, hoooo boy the melee feels awkward. Not as flashy as Shadow of War and not as deep or skill based as Dark Souls, it occupies the same, awkward middle ground as The Witcher 3's combat. Trouble is, I think TW3 did combat better. Once you mixed signs and bombs into the core swordplay you felt like taking on lots of enemies was very easily doable but, on harder difficulties, you needed to use all your tools.

Here though, I feel like I'm wrestling with a dreadful lock-on system and very imprecise controls. I never thought I'd say this but... I'd way prefer Syndicate's combat system back, even if it was a bit on the easy side. Shadow of War did combat well too. The captains were nasty enough that, combined with hordes of weaker enemies it felt dangerous, but the BRILLIANT skill system made you feel seriously powerful.

That's another issue I have with Origins: the skill system feels awful. Nothing really entices me in the skill tree. I think a good skill tree should make a player think "holy fuck-knuckles I need that, and that, and that, and... I NEED IT ALL!". Trouble is, Origins doesn't make me feel that way. I look at the skills and think "meh, that could be sort of useful, I guess." Compare this to Shadow of War, where I would spend ages trying to decide between lethal perfect counters, the ability to teleport to a distant target and gut them, the ability to freeze enemies in place and then shatter their brains or the ability to ride a bloody dragon.

In Horizon Zero Dawn I wanted to level up as there were loads of useful skills I wanted. Here though, I feel like I'm choosing between fairly dull, unimpressive upgrades. Tie that into a loot system which feels incredibly tacked on and it just ends up feeling like an action RPG which really didn't need to be. Again, Shadow of War did it much better - loot felt worthwhile and the array of gearsets meant you could really customise your gear based around your play style.

It's not a bad game, I just feel so little motivation to play it which is a shame because I love the setting and the world they've created. Bayek is a decent enough character too. It's just a pity that, to me anyway, the gameplay just isn't enough fun to make me want to play it for god knows how many hours. It looks facking stunning on Xbox One X though.

Last edited:

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
ultimately bought into the hype here and grabbed it on sale, and I'm regretting it. The game is an obvious attempt to try to learn lessons from the Witcher 3, except the only one that matters: designing non-filler side quests. The setting ultimately just isn't as interesting for me as prior AC games either - London, Paris etc. Despite being remarkably well realized, it ends up feeling pretty generic. The combat is just not good enough for how much they throw at you. I also don't particularly like Bayek or his wife, totally get that they lost their son but they kind of just come across as assholes.

I'm at Alexandria and the game already feels like a slog, so I think I'll stop.

Great water though for sure.

Bagel isn't a good character too.

Agree with everything in your post - but man I enjoyed this more than I should have.

Last edited:

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I see the game gives me unlimited arrows during the battle of the nile quest, but not at any other time.

Of course.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Agree with everything in your post - but man I enjoyed this more than I should have.

ooooops! Foiled by autocorrect.
Let's pretend that never happened! It was also meant to say he WAS a good character. Didn't really mind him, though he is a bit straight up. Not the worst AC character but not the best either.

dicetrain

Oct 25, 2017
Where did you get the black camel?
I got the Gold edition, so it's in one of the packs it includes.

Stylin for $30 more lol I'm a sucker if the extra missions/battles aren't a good payoff

I had some gold left and bought 3 chests just to see and got 3 lousy bronze swords in a row. Absolutely sickening. I don't think outfits can be got this way but Christ that is poor.
I wasted 6 grand on the kid's shop because one mystery box gave me garbage and I thought he was selling a pack of 3 crystals, not 3 available. They're really stingy with money in this game, too, to get you to MTX for more. Lame.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
After 8 hours I feel like I can readily say that I just don't like it. I appreciate they effort they made in opening up the world and trying to revamp the combat but the combat is my main issue with the game: I hate it.

Fighting lots of enemies feels awful so stealth is more of a focus, which is fine. However, I feel like the stealth toolkit has been butchered too - I just feel weak as hell. Basically it all seems to come down to "how many predator bow arrows do you have?" As this is the main way of thinning out enemy camps. In previous AC games you felt like a hunter - like a proper, lethal assassin. Here though? I feel pretty pathetic.

If you do get spotted though, hoooo boy the melee feels awkward. Not as flashy as Shadow of War and not as deep or skill based as Dark Souls, it occupies the same, awkward middle ground as The Witcher 3's combat. Trouble is, I think TW3 did combat better. Once you mixed signs and bombs into the core swordplay you felt like taking on lots of enemies was very easily doable but, on harder difficulties, you needed to use all your tools.

Here though, I feel like I'm wrestling with a dreadful lock-on system and very imprecise controls. I never thought I'd say this but... I'd way prefer Syndicate's combat system back, even if it was a bit on the easy side. Shadow of War did combat well too. The captains were nasty enough that, combined with hordes of weaker enemies it felt dangerous, but the BRILLIANT skill system made you feel seriously powerful.

That's another issue I have with Origins: the skill system feels awful. Nothing really entices me in the skill tree. I think a good skill tree should make a player think "holy fuck-knuckles I need that, and that, and that, and... I NEED IT ALL!". Trouble is, Origins doesn't make me feel that way. I look at the skills and think "meh, that could be sort of useful, I guess." Compare this to Shadow of War, where I would spend ages trying to decide between lethal perfect counters, the ability to teleport to a distant target and gut them, the ability to freeze enemies in place and then shatter their brains or the ability to ride a bloody dragon.

In Horizon Zero Dawn I wanted to level up as there were loads of useful skills I wanted. Here though, I feel like I'm choosing between fairly dull, unimpressive upgrades. Tie that into a loot system which feels incredibly tacked on and it just ends up feeling like an action RPG which really didn't need to be. Again, Shadow of War did it much better - loot felt worthwhile and the array of gearsets meant you could really customise your gear based around your play style.

It's not a bad game, I just feel so little motivation to play it which is a shame because I love the setting and the world they've created. Bayek is a decent enough character too. It's just a pity that, to me anyway, the gameplay just isn't enough fun to make me want to play it for god knows how many hours. It looks facking stunning on Xbox One X though.

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote here. I would much rather they had kept the old combat system because the new one is, in my opinion, just plain awful. Slow, clunky, clumsy, it's just not fun at all. In short fights it can be tolerable but when going up against the big commander type guys it becomes irredeemably bad. I appreciate they tried something new but I hope for the next game they bin the whole system and either revert or come up with something better, because this just doesn't work for an Assassin's Creed game.

Bagel is a good name for him, because he's about as interesting as one! :p

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I've decided to power through the main quests cos I'm getting a bit bored now.

How much gameplay time roughly do I have left after killing
Flavius?

Vegeto

Oct 26, 2017
Frankfurt
The world is just so beautiful and ultimately fun to explore, that after a long day of work it is so relaxing to explore Egypt. The world is full with ubisoft open world items and still I love it. On the other hand the story is so bad and not really motivating at all, but Bayek is a cool dude. This game feels like a contradiction itself. Imagine the main story would be on the same level as the ezio trilogy.

Level 30 and 25 hours into it, I am beginning to play a little bit more focused and finish it without exploring every corner. So yeah not sure yet what to do.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017

Nah. Combat is what makes this game great. I'm 60 hours in and i've been never bored once by the combat system and steadily find out new things about it.
Here some rules:
1. Never use lock on. NEVER.
2. Move. There are no invincibility frames on dodge so it's not only to hit dodge button and you are save. This is more "realistic" then most swordbased combatsystems out there so you have to be patient, especially against multiple mobs. Take out your shield by pressing L1(ps4) and play footsies and dodge from time to time even if there is no reason to.
3. Find your favourite weapontype.
4. You can hold charged heavy attack and dodge without loosing the charge. Imo the most powerful move outside of the full bar attack is to charge a heavyattack, dodge towards an enemy and release the button right after. Every phylake will hate you for this.
5. Enjoy the finishers and the gore.
6. Study point 1 again:)

Bayek is more of a warrior type assassin. The whole game has some Gladiatior vibes. At one point in the game they make a hommage to Ridley Scotts masterpiece.
Assassins Creed Origin is such a joy.

Last edited:

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
i wouldnt sleep on the skill tree. They might not sound exciting but sleep darts + chain assassination is basically two free kills a pop and the smoke bombs are pretty op

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man the detail and size of this game is nuts. I mean AC games have always kind of had this quality but this is impressive. Plus eagle flying is so awesome.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So i've been chilling in the game and taking screenshots as the day passes by, here's the first result of that, really see how the lighting can affect and fog the look of any one spot in the game.
output_z4ui0vm4sjq.gif

tmkn

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
god I hate those ship battles, don't know how anyone can like them, thankfully they learned from black flag and toned it down, still the few times it is still awful and just a chore to get them done.

finished the game and have 1 story mission left, that's the glitched aya mission, one last ship battle fml.

game is overall great but I did miss the mysterious element to it, I thought it might show up when you had to return to a certain tomb but no, will be there for the next game though

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
I'm level 33 and I think coming up to the ending but I just can't do it anymore.
The game has thrown assassination out the window and is going hard on the awful combat system. I don't play Assassin's Creed to be a warrior, I play to be an assassin. I don't want to be put in an arena with a big yellow health bar 'boss' and have a duel, that's the very antithesis of Assassin's Creed. As much as I love this series if the new focus is going to be on clumsy combat and 'boss fights' instead of assassinations then I'll pass.

woozey

Nov 3, 2017
So I just beat
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
. I am at this point mainlining side missions and the main mission as I have legendary gear for everything I can upgrade. How much longer do I have?

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I've played stealthily and only used the Predator bow once to kill an animal during the main playthrough. You can clean out an area by sneaking up on guards assassinate and dumping bodies in long grass or other places and attracting guards your way. Have never used the lock on. The chain attack is very good, assassinate one guard then steal his weapon and kill the next one close in one hit for a double kill if two guards are close by.

ejabx

Oct 25, 2017
I just got a PS4 Pro last Friday and picked up Origins. We need to talk about how AMAZING this game looks in HDR, it's one of the few games that justifies the purchase.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm level 33 and I think coming up to the ending but I just can't do it anymore.
The game has thrown assassination out the window and is going hard on the awful combat system. I don't play Assassin's Creed to be a warrior, I play to be an assassin. I don't want to be put in an arena with a big yellow health bar 'boss' and have a duel, that's the very antithesis of Assassin's Creed. As much as I love this series if the new focus is going to be on clumsy combat and 'boss fights' instead of assassinations then I'll pass.

I bypassed the arena challenges too, so I get it. But, the very first game had a final boss fight, and so did II. Both were in defined spaces, so it's very much tradition with the series, for better or worse. At least this game went about the final sequence a bit differently, as you will hopefully see.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
ultimately bought into the hype here and grabbed it on sale, and I'm regretting it. The game is an obvious attempt to try to learn lessons from the Witcher 3, except the only one that matters: designing non-filler side quests.

i thought this is where the game kind of shines, actually. not that the quests are great or anything but i expected them to be way more annoying for a game like this. i'd even argue witcher had more BS follow the breadcrumbs stuff

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
i thought this is where the game kind of shines, actually. not that the quests are great or anything but i expected them to be way more annoying for a game like this. i'd even argue witcher had more BS follow the breadcrumbs stuff

Witcher 3's side quests were great on the back of their writing, characters, world building and at times clever integration into the main quest. The actual gameplay in them was never good, especially the detective vision shit.

In this game the writing in the side quests is just throwaway most of the time, and I've yet to come across one memorable side character. Half of them seem to be about killing tax collectors as well. The saving grace is that they completely ditched the trailing missions from the previous games. There's still detective vision style crap, but at least it's not offensively ugly like Witcher senses was.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I've got a fun new game-breaking bug. I just took out The Hyena, and now any attempt to reload my save file causes my computer to restart. No crash-to-desktop, just the computer full-on rebooting by itself. I can load into the benchmark OK, so the game still works, but my save file seems corrupted.

-EDIT- Verifying the game files in uPlay fixed this issue for me (for now). And the save wasn't corrupted, thank goodness; it was also crashing on loading a new game. So if this happens to anyone else, go to the game options in uPlay and choose "Verify Files." If that doesn't fix your issues, I guess try a full reinstall.
OK, so that fix was temporary. The game makes me verify files every single time I want to launch it now or it just reboots the PC completely. And just now, I was traveling around finding new regions and it triggered a reboot right in the middle of the game (first time it's done that). So I'm done with the game until a proper fix comes out. So annoying because the game is really excellent and properly epic. Just wish I could play it.

dicetrain

Oct 25, 2017
I accomplished a feat.

QfXjd0T.jpg

Before this he was being a wuss hiding in a fort, so I stole his chariot.

And before I got into that mess I flexed some muscle against a road crew very stylishly.

Last edited:

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Just started this on Xbox one X and I got major frame rate drops on the opening cut scene and when hiding in the weeds during the first fight with guards right after you get the bow. Seemed like mid teens FPS. Is this normal? I am playing on a 1080p tv so I figured that would be buttery smooth. The game is fully installed.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

Shield Charge, Charged Heavy Attack and Attack & Push (really it's charged Light attack in practice) makes the combat more enjoyable for me.

Shield Charge : Topples normal mook and breaks enemies's shield block.

Charged Heavy Attack : Topples all enemies, some add new move (Spear's running lunge, Axe spinning)

Attack & Push : Adds various purpose move (Sword have quick stabbing that ended with shield push, Dual Blades have evade slash, Spears have quick double spin which is ridiculous good for killing multiple enemies, Ax have crazy combo for stunlocking single target, etc).

My biggest problem with the combat is most of enemies have bows, they should have separated normal mook class into either ranged or melee. The game turns into clusterfuck of arrows when engaging multiple enemies. Some enemies also can stunlock you to death, like Phylakes, Hippos and Crocs.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
40 hours in and hit a major stretch of story missions. Gotta say i like how they take away the option to go back to the open world. The story keeps the momentum this way and you get a story that feels a lot more cohesive than the missions before it.

That said, I almost made a thread last night wondering why this game needed to be this long or this big. Rpgs like mass effect were never this long last gen let alone open world games like horizon and zelda. I don't know. I love this game at times and i truly believe that its a landmark title in graphics rendering like horizon and world exploring like Witcher 3 and Skyrim, but there is just way too much here that's a bit too mediocre.

The side quests are just bad. They don't have those great supporting characters of Witcher 3 and the objectives are very simple so they essentially become xp grinds. I have no idea why mass effect was ignored and Skyrim was aped by everyone. The side quests in every mass effect game were fantastic character focused, setpiece heavy and choice filled missions. Just do 5-10 loyalty missions that mix things up instead of making you go to the same forts over and over again.

Ac Brotherhood had these great da vinci missions that served as setpieces to break from the monotony of the open world. Ac2 had these great tombs that were super challenging platforming and puzzle levels. Origins has the gladiator arenas and chariot races but they aren't used in side missions at all. I also don't like how they make you play like three missions before fighting a boss. They couldve done so much more with this.

The story is getting interesting but i will be honest, after the first few hours, it turned into slog. I don't like Cleopatra in this game. A big missed opportunity but then again i can't remember the last time ac games had a good story. Maybe Brotherhood.

Games like Dark souls and mass effect had tight and focused single player campaigns and gave you a reason to replay them by offering new class builds. I just don't see myself replaying games like ac origins, horizon, Witcher 3, Zelda and mass effect Andromeda. I am exhausted after playing for nearly a month and almost want this to be over with. Which kinda sucks because i just got to cyrene and it blew me away with its architecture.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Is the sobek/challenge gear really amazing?

I'm halfway to level 36 which means some serious game time and grinding in order to be lvl40 in time to do the weekly challenge before it expires and I'm wondering if it's worth any of that commitment

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I thought nothing could top AC2 but I just finished this and it's the best AC game I've played. Probably the best game I've played this year. I've finished Odyssey, BoTW and Horizon and neither game gripped me like this - and I thought Horizon was fantastic. Its historical presentation and implementation pushes it to the top for. The story was great and the gameplay was rock solid until the end. Even after I finished it, I kept playing it for about an hour. I hope the season pass is worth it.

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't want to like this game becaisr I was just tired of Ubisoft (imo) phoning it in with their games but fuck me if this isn't their best game across this and last gen.

And it just keeps giving. Just when I think I'm coming close to the end of the line, it opens up a whole new world to discover and explore with equally impressive quests and story to go with it.

I've mostly been following the main storyline and see so much territory I haven't even stepped foot on and my brain can't reconcile how many secrets and cool storylines are in store for me.

Ultimately, what this game boils down to is rewarding the player for spending time in this world. That is their biggest step forward here .

Great stuff.

Sad to see the folks writing it off as I did a few hours in. The game is a whole lot more than a combat system that inevitably clicks .

dicetrain

Oct 25, 2017
I strongly believe that LB and LT should be switched.

When Bayek assassinates someone does he actually have some kind of mystical experience in the land of the dead or is he just being weird thinking to himself "yeah, that's probably how it'd go"