• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ironcreed

Oct 27, 2017
I love that Ubisoft managed to not only give us someone outside the "norm" but also pulled it off and made him an excellent character.

Indeed. He comes off as being super serious and dedicated to the point of obsession at first, but then you get glimpses of another side underneath that layer that makes him really likable and relatable as well.

Iorv3th

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see it in the OT but are there PS4 Pro enhancements and is any of it toggleable, like a performance mode? The menus seem a little sluggish so far, but everything else feels fairly good.

Dave1988

Oct 25, 2017
The daily merchant mission gave me the Mummy costume for completing it. It's pretty cool.

DNLgPfEXUAE1I1B.jpg

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The game looks really nice but runs like crap on Pro. It's especially jarring when playing Ghost Recon, which looks damn good and feels like a locked 30fps.

browinie

Oct 26, 2017
I picked this up on a whim and I say on a whim since I haven't played an AC game since the first one came out in '07. I'm going to dig into it properly tomorrow, but I managed to play it for about an hour or so earlier today and so far I'm liking it a lot. Gameplay seems like it will have a lot to offer, there seems to be quite a bit of depth to it and I enjoyed the little combat moments that I got into. The introductory narrative didn't seem all that interesting, but I suppose it's catered around teaching you the game mechanics at this stage.

EQLibriM

Oct 27, 2017
Without reading too much in this thread: I just purchased AC Origins, my first AC game since Black Flag. Can't wait for it to turn up tomorrow.

I loved AC1, 2 and Broho and although Im trying to keep my expectations to a minimum, I cant wait to play it.

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has zero location, character, history or anything else. It was replaced by an email server when you go to modern times that is absolutely chock full of absolute bullshit retaining to the person who is in the VR machine. You know, the single person that no one gives a shit about. There is so much copy written about the modern world and it's awful.

It's the most disappointing aspect of the game, which by all other accounts is the best AC I've played to date.

I know the "learning mode" is coming next year, but a huge chunk of the enjoyment of exploring and playing an AC game is missing for the first time.

There is actually more world lore in Mario Oddyssey than in this game.

This is pretty disappointing. Sure, the education mode is coming early next year, but it should have been in day one. I was looking forward to clicking on Giza, the Nile, all the temples, the animals, etc. and getting information about it. The database was probably the second most important thing in an AssCreed game to me next to the setting.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see it in the OT but are there PS4 Pro enhancements and is any of it toggleable, like a performance mode? The menus seem a little sluggish so far, but everything else feels fairly good.

No toggleable options, Pro runs at dynamic resolution betwee 13xxp to 1550p. Frame rate is a frame or two better than OG PS4 on average. Texture filtering and Ambient Occlusion is better. The rest of the texture quality and visual effects are the same.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Ubi have done something special with this, and i'm glad they took a year off. It looks spectacular, the combat is different and enjoyable. There is certainly a lot going on here, and i can't wait to get stuck in more over the weekend.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to bite into this for 50 bucks...So far the general consensus is well received, correct?

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still at the beginning but I have a massive spoiler question. I just want to know, please tell me
I get to kill the bastards that caused Bayek's sons death. That shit was fucked up.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Lol on the way to the first town, the guy I was following said "We need to keep a low profile'" and then proceeded to ram right into 5-6 people, knocking them to the ground. Oh Ubisoft, please never change!

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Why is the framerate so low during cutscenes? It's their own engine after all. And there doesn't happen very much during most cutscenes. I'm playing on a PS4 Pro on a Full HD TV.

Horizon: Zero Dawn spoiled me. :-(

Fate

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played an AC title since Black Flag, and I think the time off + the changes and refinements to Origins has me enjoying this

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 6 hours in now and I've got some really sweet weapons and armour and I've had a good time with side quests and loot and animal hunting. Graphically, even on base Xbox One, it is right up there with the very best. They definitely need to stage Assassin's Creed releases, they have some good ideas going on here.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
The game is absolutely massive. I'm 6 hours in and it is ridiculous. I'm going to guess the publisher needs this to be a massive hit to break even.
I'm barely an hour in and the scale just in Siwa is just something else. Yeah imagine how much it cost to build something that big. I also like how you can see the sandstorms coming for miles, you can wait at the top of a mountain and watch it rolling in.

Deadpool

Oct 27, 2017
Put a few hours into this yesterday. Absolutely loving it. Bayek is an especially great protagonist, and already I'm hoping we see more from the Egypt line.

Glad I took the gamble and got the Gods edition.

The daily merchant mission gave me the Mummy costume for completing it. It's pretty cool.
I figured even back when this was announced that the costume potential was just going to be epic, but this takes the cake. Can't wait to get that one!

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
I couldn't find much information about how this runs on a standard Xbox One so I went ahead and broke the shrink wrap and installed it.

It runs...okay. It's very hard to describe. I feel like it's running at a constant 25fps, but it almost feels intentional somehow. It's like they intentionally locked it at 25fps and it at least feels consistent. I got over it fairly quickly and it does look pretty amazing. I'm not regretting buying it on Xbox I guess, even though I do have a PS4 as well. AC was originally an Xbox series to me, and I wanted to go back to it.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Wow, the game is surprisingly hard and I'm on normal. The AI are smart, they can detect you easily and sometimes they bring a company to check you. Running from their chase is also tricky because they have an impressive field of vision.

I'm also loving the loot system. It's a proper loot like in RPGs, not the half-assed one like in Wardor.

Ayrtonsenna84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, the game is surprisingly hard and I'm on normal. The AI are smart, they can detect you easily and sometimes they bring a company to check you. Running from their chase is also tricky because they have an impressive field of vision.

I'm also loving the loot system. It's a proper loot like in RPGs, not the half-assed one like in Wardor.

I Love this Game. Difficulty Level even in Normal Mode is crazy. First i thought that i can brutally kill every one in The False Oracle mission but hell took an hour. The World is massive and the atmospher top noch. Visuals looking unbelievable. The Only bad thing is very poor frame rate. The best A.C game by far.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap, hit the first modern day section and there's a million files and audio recordings to go through (optional I know .. but still).

edit: WOW.
They're putting in shit from the movie in the game ... I was not expecting that.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So, I went to GameStop to pick up my Gold Edition today.

I watched as the employee searched every inch of the store before going to the display case on the wall, returning to the counter, pulling the disc from a drawer and ringing me up.

I mean, this game was technically 'out' for a grand total of 10 hours and GameStop had already ripped a disc from the steel case of a Collector's Edition.

In short, I left the store without buying it. So, I'll be playing Wolfenstein tonight instead. But keep the impressions coming! It won't be long until you all compel me to purchase via Amazon.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
edit: WOW.
They're putting in shit from the movie in the game ... I was not expecting that.
Was glad to see all that stuff. Feels a little cheap though; I was hoping they would at least give us an idea of what happens with Sofia and Cal after the film, but it looks like they're not doing that. I guess they're leaving it open for now while they figure out what they're doing.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
I found a red pot floating in the middle of a lake and decided to smash it, turns out it was oil and it bleed into the water also covering me in it and left trails in the water I swam through. Small details but pretty cool.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
It's annoying that I can't tell what kind of pelt or skin I need, specifically. Like I want to do the second armor upgrade, and I can see I need 6 pelts of...something... but it doesn't say what. It's just a small picture.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Am I really dumb, or is there an actual way to assassinate targets instead of just knocking them out?

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see folks digging it. The world is so damned deep in its look its insane.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked up the game this morning and played for just under seven hours. To be perfectly honest, I have more negatives than positives thus far but yet, I can't stop playing the game.

POSITIVES
- Visuals. Absolutely stunning. I still think that Horizon: Zero Dawn is thus far this generation's best game visually but at the same time, Origins doesn't have HDR yet. I think that once it does, it arguably will surpass Horizon.
- Egypt. I'm still in Siwa but this time era and location definitely has a fresh feel to it. Great atmosphere and immersion.
- Combat. I actually like the combat for the most part. Absolutely love the finishing moves.
- The Eagle. Easily prefer using Senu over the older version of Eagle Vision as I always hated that.
- Bayek. Thus far, a solid character. Has a way to go before he surpasses Edward and Shay for me personally but is easily better than Jacob, Evie and Arno. Actually had to look up Arno since I forgot his name in Unity. LOL.
- Weapons, crafting, quest setup, sync/viewpoints, etc. Pretty much love all of this stuff.
- Location notification when you clear an area. I love this.
- Story. Was confusing when starting the game but after completing the main story mission in Siwa, it comes clearer. So far, so good.
- Crouch button. Definitely a welcomed addition.
- Stealth. Love knocking out the enemies and then using my swords to kill them while they're downed so I can then pick them up in order to carry and hide them.

NEGATIVES
- HUD options. Sorry but they literally suck. Hate every single one of the four presets. Why Origins doesn't have an on/off option for each individual HUD icon/category/aspect is beyond me. Want to turn off at least six things but can't and using minimal does turn them off but also turns off things that I don't want to turn off. Really hoping this gets fixed via a patch.
- Loot. I love loot but I would have preferred treasure chests/crates/boxes like in all previous AC games because collecting loot via a few coins at a time is honestly, very annoying especially since you have to keep using the pulse to see it all. And on a related note, why refilling arrows aren't at least a different color triangle instead of white is beyond me.
- No mini-map. Also connected to the HUD options but I have never ever been a fan of the compass. I know a lot of people hate the mini-map in open world games but I don't and im missing it here a lot for several reasons. First reason being that I prefer all HUD info that I do actually want on the screen to be in the four corners. I absolutely hate it when games have all the clutter in the middle of the screen. To me, the corner is out of the way but still gives you the info. Second reason being that im not a fan of the straight boring bland health bar on the bottom of the screen. Again, that middle of the screen thing bugs me and I prefer the health bar to be around in a circle setup around the mini-map. Obviously, that can't happen here. Third reason and perhaps the most important is when going into a restricted area. With a mini-map, you would know where the restricted area is before going into it. Some may like not knowing but not me because I don't want to think im searching an area that's neutral and boom, it's a restricted area. I know some will say to use Senu and while that's true, I don't want to use Senu just so I can explore an area.
- Combat. While also a positive, there's a few negatives as well. First, im not a fan of the dodge move and would have preferred a roll instead. Second, when fighting multiple enemies, you pretty much have to use the lock-on feature in order to increase your chances at hitting the enemy. So many time without it, im trying to fight and Bayek simply doesn't face the enemy that I want him to face no matter how much I turn him and/or the camera. Third, when using the lock on feature, it zooms in the camera which im not a fan of. Despite all of these negatives, the combat is still easily better than every previous AC game that I have played.
- The Controls and Navigation. Don't know why but Origins feel like a combination of BF/Rogue mixed with Unity/Syndicate to me. I don't need a climb down button or this or that. Just let me free run like in BF/Rogue by holding R2/RT and use the analog control to go left/right/up/down. Also, while crouching is great, why I have to get out of crouch mode in order to run is beyond me. If im holding down R2/RT and moving forward on the analog, Bayek should automatically get out of his crouched position and run.
- A massive open world but yet two side quests and the lone story mission in Siwa is in the exact same location??? Why??? I hate this shit. To me, every open world game's story missions should also be separate from where side quests are located. While doing two side quests, I ended up completing the story mission despite not realizing that I did until it was too late. Plus, before this, I had about 10 or so enemies left. Once I went back to that area, all the enemies were gone which while great, because I want areas to be "cleared" of enemies once I complete that area, it was weird seeing all the guards that I didn't kill were simply no longer there.
- Game froze and kicked me out to the XMB once during the prologue sequence fight against the five or so enemies.

It sounds a lot worse than what it actually is. Majority of my negatives are nitpicks. I do truly hope that Ashraf Ismail and his team patches in actual HUD options for everything and I mean everything. The white glare that's on the edges of the screen that tells you where the enemies are, the compass, the enemy detection arrow are just a few of the things that I want gone but can't because doing so also eliminates three things that I want on the screen - mission objectives, item info on the right side of the screen when looting and the reticle.

Wish it was possible for them to also patch in an on/off option for the slowdown that occurs when an enemy detects you as well as an on/off option for when the screen starts going nuts when you're down to little health. Instead of the screen starting to break up, only the health bar should be flashing or whatever.

Overall, my main complaint is just the lack of HUD options and the visual feedback in the game in almost every aspect. And not having an info box for "light" and "minimal" HUD presets is annoying. Have to basically figure out what each removes or doesn't remove as opposed to the game telling you which it should. If I can just get the HUD options patched and all be given an on/off option for each individual aspect, I would enjoy the game a lot more and the rest of my complaints would be nearly ignored or forgotten.

Also, I wish there was health packs/kits, first aid, etc. in the game as im not a fan of regenerating health. In fact, I haven't acquired that skill yet because I know that health regenerates on it's own without that skill outside of battle but not during battle unless you have that skill.

On a side note - is the merchant for Nomad's Bazaar in-game or you must be connected online to get his daily quests? Thanks and sorry for the long rant. I'm actually enjoying the game but the non-existent HUD options is killing me. And yes, I know that there's an on/off option for "damage numbers". I have that off by the way. For those who may wonder, im playing on hard difficulty with aim assist off. Have died twice. Still in Siwa.