• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you notice the voice acting in this game?

• I did, and I thought it was fine

Votes: 597 75.6%
  • It was pretty bad

Votes: 193 24.4%

• Total voters

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
The writing and voice acting are horrid. The worst I seen since dead island. I couldn't continue this game.

Oct 27, 2017
While the voice acting isn't the greatest, what bothered me more was the lack of NPC variety. I swear it feels like there are less than 10 unique NPC models for side quests or even minor characters in main quests. Feels strange in a game with a world so large and varied that the NPC's feel so limited.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
uxfnbz7nisyfv1kbmufd.gif

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Yep, both Kassandra and Alexios voices were awful, like really bad.

I had to play the game with french VA to appreciate it
If only the game was in greek. I would love to have that full experience and use it to practise some greek, but there's very few games in greek at all, and I'm not sure if there's even any dubbed.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
Thought Kass was well voiced.

I really enjoyed her performance as the protagonist.

I can't speak to Alexios as I never played with.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
If only the game was in greek. I would love to have that full experience and use it to practise some greek, but there's very few games in greek at all, and I'm not sure if there's even any dubbed.
Sony dubs all their big first-party titles in Greek for the local market (the only company to do so, it's part of their investment in EMEA and why Sony dominates in Europe) though I'm not sure about the quality of the localisation. If you're looking for a quality dubbing outside of videogames then Disney is king, youtube any famous Disney song + Greek on the title and you can practice. :)

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ridiculous. Of all the shitty voiced games released this gen this was the one that made you quit that fast?...lol.

Sorry, Kassandra is one of the best voices of the gen and Alexios is only bad compared to her, compared to other games he's adequate. Overall the game is closer to the top than to the bottom tier of video game voice acting.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Alexios is fine...did you want him to sound like English is his native language?

People like to dump on Alexios but he was an endearing goof if you played him as a mostly "good" character.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Alexios is just....fine, would not complain

On the other hand, Kassandra became one of my favorite protagonists this gen, she easily carried the game for me.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Sony dubs all their big first-party titles in Greek for the local market (the only company to do so, it's part of their investment in EMEA and why Sony dominates in Europe) though I'm not sure about the quality of the localisation. If you're looking for a quality dubbing outside of videogames then Disney is king, youtube any famous Disney song + Greek on the title and you can practice. :)
Well, just looked it up and I think I'm finally going to try the Uncharted Collection. Is it really dubbed or just subs? Because I also have Horizon and Last of Us 1, but can't remember seeing any greek options. (i wasn't looking for them, mind you). Maybe it needs to be set on the console or something.

Checking out movies that you know by heart like Disney ones sounds like a good way to practise too, yeah :)

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Should have chosen Kass

Anyway it's a gigantic game, some of it is bad some of it is good. I really liked Plato's VA actually.

Oct 8, 2019
Currently still playing this, and the game has two core strengths, one is fighting against multiple human enemies are generally fun, and the other is that Kassandra's a great character. It just makes me have no need to check out any other Assassin's Creed game when I know that Kassandra just isnt going to be in any of them.

While the voice acting isn't the greatest, what bothered me more was the lack of NPC variety. I swear it feels like there are less than 10 unique NPC models for side quests or even minor characters in main quests. Feels strange in a game with a world so large and varied that the NPC's feel so limited.

This is the one big problem with the voice acting, they put out so much quest that it becomes obvious that they just have the same voice actress voicing the same evil stock characters that its really noticeable when you see the same voice actress voice 10 different characters in the exact same way.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought Alexios was great - clearly I know nothing. I liked how wry he sounded all the time.

My main gripe with the voice-acting was everyone saying malaka all the bloody time. Super anachronistic - not a swear word in 5th century Greek, and not even really grammatical in that form.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
It makes me sad how many people seem to want to find any excuse they can to not play AC Odyssey. It's one of my favorite games of the whole gen.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
The whole conversation system is broken. You will be going one way then bam out of nowhere something incredibly dumb gets said that goes against the previous minutes of convo.

Easy to give it a pass though, Kassandra is great and the game a ton of fun.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yes of course its rather awful. Kassandra is a bit less awful but still awful. Im assuming all the people in here saying its good have just never played a quality single player game before. I mean just go back to Unity and notice the dramatic difference in quality.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Play as Kassandra. She's the best and she's probably the only reason I was able to play that game for as long as I did.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Kassandra's performance isn't terrible. Didn't even register with me as bad.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I thought that besides Alexios, the voice acting in Odyssey was really good. Also notable that Ubisoft actually hired authentic greek V/O to play the major roles.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Alexios sounds like he's just reading off the script. Should've gone with Kassandra, the canon protagonist who wasn't hamfisted in to cater to 'gamers'.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Well considering we now know for sure that the male lead was forcibly tacked on thanks to the former bigot overlord of all Ubisoft games.... I'm gonna say its definitely not surprising Alexios is half-baked

OP
OP
Meus Renaissance
Oct 28, 2017
I played as Kassandra and the first time Alexios turned up I literally laughed out loud at how comically melodramatic his voice acting was. I mean just listen to this, it's like he's doing a parody:
youtu.be

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey [First Encounter - Deimos/Alexios]

Release Date:October 5, 2018 Platforms:Xbox One, PC, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch Genre:Action Rating:Rated "M" for Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Sexua...

"I DON'T HAVE TO TELL YOU ANYTHING!!" lmao

Christ wtf is this

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Before I even clicked the thread I knew OP picked Alexios and not Kassandra. Her voice was amazing.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I played as Kassandra and the first time Alexios turned up I literally laughed out loud at how comically melodramatic his voice acting was. I mean just listen to this, it's like he's doing a parody:
youtu.be

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey [First Encounter - Deimos/Alexios]

Release Date:October 5, 2018 Platforms:Xbox One, PC, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch Genre:Action Rating:Rated "M" for Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Sexua...

"I DON'T HAVE TO TELL YOU ANYTHING!!" lmao

Hahaha holy fuck yeah I totally get OP now.

May 15, 2019
Only game I've played in recent memory where the VO was so bad it took me out of the game was Breath of the Wild. Still can't believe with how huge that series is and how much money Nintendo makes that they couldn't afford to get some union actors in that dub.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody that chose to play as Alexios chose incorrectly. Even the small bit of the game where I heard him speak while playing as Kassandra was more than enough to make me realize this.

This is a fact.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Kassandra is definitely the better option overall, but there are a LOT of extremely hammy NPCs

All the weird, inexplicable dialogue animation doesn't help either

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Kassandra was one of the best VOs this gen, IMO. Alexios... not in the running.

I started with Alexios and after the first hour restarted as Kass. Zero regrets.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I do remember (or, more aptly, dont remember) enough of the dialogue being meh to say it's noticeable, but Kassandra and enough of the main cast were enjoyable and memorable to satisfy me. Socrates, Brasidas, and Barnabas stood out especially.