• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
Yeah, I guess it's really CPU bottlenecked. Look on the bright side, only a few days until the new Nvidia driver drops with Adaptive Sync support. That will smooth things out considerably for you! I'm using a Ryzen 5 2600X w/Vega 64 @ 3400x1440. I've settled for a 35fps lock, otherwise the dips are just too brutal, even with freesync. Sometimes I get a lovely 50-70fps experience, then I enter a city and it dive bombes into the 30s. Clearly Ubisoft create these open world engines around a 30fps target. The only way past that is sheer brute force. And I don't have the cash to drop on SLI 2080Tis :)

Thanks for the info about the new driver. I'll give it a try and see if performance improves.
Adaptive Sync sounds interesting but from my understanding TVs aren't supported (yet)?

Edit: At least my Sony TV doesn't support FreeSync, several Samsung already do...

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Soooooo I'm getting aproximately 7 more FPS with AA on "Low" than with AA disabled.

...what?

I'm sure of it, it was not a one-time bug, I consistently get more FPS with AA on Low than with it disabled. I don't understand. Dark1x Dictator do you have any idea what might cause this? This is super weird

No AA:
E8VcPdh.jpg

Low AA:
uvGSrPV.jpg

My resolution is 2560x1440 and my specs are:
i7 6700k oc'd to 4.4 GHz
GTX 1070
16 GB DDR4 RAM

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Soooooo I'm getting aproximately 7 more FPS with AA on "Low" than with AA disabled.

...what?

I'm sure of it, it was not a one-time bug, I consistently get more FPS with AA on Low than with it disabled. I don't understand. Dark1x Dictator do you have any idea what might cause this? This is super weird

No AA:
E8VcPdh.jpg

Low AA:
uvGSrPV.jpg

My resolution is 2560x1440 and my specs are:
i7 6700k oc'd to 4.4 GHz
GTX 1070
16 GB DDR4 RAM
I mentioned that in my pc game review - AA on low and medium reconstruct the game from a lower resolution. It is running at a lower res internally with the game on low. ^^ AA off is full res.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I mentioned that in my pc game review - AA on low and medium reconstruct the game from a lower resolution. It is running at a lower res internally with the game on low. ^^ AA off is full res.
And here I thought my PC was capable of running the game at 1440p 60 FPS :(

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
So for those who finished the game did Ubisoft atleast update the engine to stop stuttering in prerendered cutscenes like in origins? Going to grab it soon and it's the only thing holding me back as it was very annoying in origins.

Solid Dude

Dec 1, 2017
Thinking of picking this up, what sort of performance should I expect from 8gb of DDR4, i5 6600K @4.2 and a somewhat overclocked 980ti at 1440p?

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
For some reason the game refuses to run Full Screen for me. When I select it the screen goes blank for a few seconds, then it comes back with some odd 'flickering' of the text on screen and some weird image retention (i.e. I exit back to the main menu but can still see the graphics setting menu in the background of the screen). On a GTX 1070 with the latest NVidia drivers. Only way to make it go away is just exiting the game completely and then letting the game restart back in 'Borderless' mode. Feels like maybe an issue with refresh rate, though the game, Windows, and Nvidia CP all report I'm running at the native 60 Hz for my monitor.

I also was noticing some intermittent stuttering of the game. I checked out this ERA thread on Windows 10 causing stuttering in games and downloaded RAMMap to empty the standby list and the game ran very smoothly after playing for about an hour. I also enabled GSync for windowed mode at the same time though (since I can't get the game to run in Fullscreen) so not sure which has been more helpful. As long as it stays smooth I'm happy.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
No noticeable difference for me when using the SpecialK mod, so I'll leave it uninstalled for now. I also used that Digital Foundry video as a guide for my settings and I'm pretty pleased with how it's running.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I know is this and Origins stopped having weird stuttering when i put the steam directory in the exclude section of Windows Defender for Win 10.

silellak

Feb 21, 2019
After fiddling around with some settings, doing a bunch of tests and getting help from you all, I think I've found my perfect settings for Ryzen 5 1600 and GTX 970 with 16gb RAM.

Man, I feel like I'm losing my mind. I have a Ryzen 5 1600 with a 1080 and 16gb of RAM, and I can barely crack 50fps when I set everything to low. What on earth is wrong with this game?

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I feel like I'm losing my mind. I have a Ryzen 5 1600 with a 1080 and 16gb of RAM, and I can barely crack 50fps when I set everything to low. What on earth is wrong with this game?
I'm actually helping a friend troubleshoot this game right now. He's running a GTX1080 on an Intel i7 6700k... he's telling me the same thing... he's getting just about 45-50 FPS no matter what resolution he's running. We dropped it to 720p, no change.

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
I'm actually helping a friend troubleshoot this game right now. He's running a GTX1080 on an Intel i7 6700k... he's telling me the same thing... he's getting just about 45-50 FPS no matter what resolution he's running. We dropped it to 720p, no change.

Is this the framerate running the benchmark, the "300" fighting tutorial or the actual gameplay as Alexios/Kassandra? In my case the tutorial suffered from bad frame drops while benchmark and actual gameplay were running a lot better (pretty solid 60fps@4k with 8700k/2080ti)
I still get frame drops to low 50s near fortresses. Weirdly GPU load reaches 100% near those locations. I would expect it to be CPU bound because of the NPCs...

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Is anyone else getting this weird glitch during conversations in where the clothes start freaking out?

I get this constantly, all the time, I thought it may be related to having overclocked the GPU a bit to scratch a few extra FPS but nope, that video was recorded with no OC in place and the glitch is still there. The latest patch doesn't fix it, either. It's pretty distracting. Is it normal?

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Is anyone else getting this weird glitch during conversations in where the clothes start freaking out?

I get this constantly, all the time, I thought it may be related to having overclocked the GPU a bit to scratch a few extra FPS but nope, that video was recorded with no OC in place and the glitch is still there. The latest patch doesn't fix it, either. It's pretty distracting. Is it normal?

The "shuddering" is weird, but I would assume it's because the outfit wasn't properly tested in cutscenes. It's certainly not something I would consider indicative of hardware-level instability.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The "shuddering" is weird, but I would assume it's because the outfit wasn't properly tested in cutscenes. It's certainly not something I would consider indicative of hardware-level instability.
Pretty sure that's what happens when cloth physics go haywire. Not sure why it's happening here (maybe too high frame rate, or some CPU bug).

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get the game to 60fps at 4k on a 2080 ti & i7 7700. I followed the settings suggested in Hardware Unboxed's video, but I'm averaging 55 fps. At this point I have to make a noticeable visual sacrifice to gain those extra 5 fps.

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
I can't get the game to 60fps at 4k on a 2080 ti & i7 7700. I followed the settings suggested in Hardware Unboxed's video, but I'm averaging 55 fps. At this point I have to make a noticeable visual sacrifice to gain those extra 5 fps.

To me at least, it's pretty clear that Ubisoft build these open world engines around 30fps. I quite literally spent months trying to get 60fps on this game. I don't have insane hardware like you but I though it might be possible to get 60fps @ 3400x1400 with my Vega 64 and 2600X. In the end I've settled for locking at 30 because that's where I get the most stable frame times. If I leave it unlocked my fps can bounce around from 50-70 out in the countryside, but always comes crashing down in populated areas. At 30 fps I can set it all to Ultra, play with a controller, and just enjoy the narrative. I'm sick of tweaking.

Has anybody else found that Ubisoft games tend to have better frame times, less judder, if you reset youy system before playing them? It might be a Windows 10 quirk or just placebo on my part. I'm not sure.

bargeparty

Oct 30, 2017
To me at least, it's pretty clear that Ubisoft build these open world engines around 30fps. I quite literally spent months trying to get 60fps on this game. I don't have insane hardware like you but I though it might be possible to get 60fps @ 3400x1400 with my Vega 64 and 2600X. In the end I've settled for locking at 30 because that's where I get the most stable frame times. If I leave it unlocked my fps can bounce around from 50-70 out in the countryside, but always comes crashing down in populated areas. At 30 fps I can set it all to Ultra, play with a controller, and just enjoy the narrative. I'm sick of tweaking.

Has anybody else found that Ubisoft games tend to have better frame times, less judder, if you reset youy system before playing them? It might be a Windows 10 quirk or just placebo on my part. I'm not sure.

Stuttering could be from this https://old.reddit.com/r/Windows10/...by_memory_issue_causing_stutters_on_creators/

Acu

Jan 2, 2018
Thank you! I've been using RAM Map to do the same thing, but hopefully this is the silent fix that works in the background.

Is this still valid? After a whole year, W10 is now on the 1809 update, which may have fixed this memory allocation problem.

I just dont want to screw things up.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this still valid? After a whole year, W10 is now on the 1809 update, which may have fixed this memory allocation problem.

I just dont want to screw things up.
I never really used it, I tried a few weeks ago, my PC was started since a few days, saw several games played and apps/browser used overtime, and emptying that standby list did not free some memory at all.
I never had those stutter issues but I just wanted to see if this thing did something, and it did not. I just close my browser now if I want to play BFV with RTX enabled (RAM heavy).

Stutter in this game seems to be caused by too much assets being loaded when installed on an SSD with not enough CPU power to handle that as the engine does not limit the amount of data.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
So I'm having this odd issue where the OSD with Riviatuner keeps flipping from left to right on the top of the screen. Anyone know a fix for that?

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
About to start this after finally finishing everything in Origins. Will I be good If I was able to run Origins at 70+ FPS at 1440p or does this game run worse?

Necrocorpse

Nov 17, 2018
London, UK
I think you should be fine. It's bit heavier GPU wise than Origins as the engine has improved features but you can tone it down easily. Keeping volumetric clouds on medium/high at least. It's been a while since I played both but the CPU usage is still quite high if I remember correctly but it should be somewhat better in Odyssey. I remember Origins melting the plastic...

Last edited:

Necrocorpse

Nov 17, 2018
London, UK
Can you refresh me what was the issue and when? I don't remember anything to be honest. Was it something to do with torch shadows and/or it's interactive lighting?

Last edited:

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with a 2080 know what kind of settings I should be using at 1440p to get 60fps min, seems abit heavier than ACO

Necrocorpse

Nov 17, 2018
London, UK
I thought you could just brute force your way through it with 2080? This is why I chose only 2560x1080 instead of 3440x1440 - I'm only on GTX 1080 though. Just reduce the volumetric clouds to medium, shadows to medium/high and environment detail to medium/high. I think those are the heaviest settings. If that doesn't help plug down the ambient occlusion a notch. These are from the top of my head though. AA will help as well but this will reduce the actual render resolution from which the image is constructed and I think it should be kept either off (should be okay on 1440p?) or near the max.

Last edited:

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't loaded the game just seen some vids where it hovers around 55-60 with max settings, gonna download it later and check it out. The clouds setting does seem to be really demanding, which setting is equivalent to the one in origins?

Necrocorpse

Nov 17, 2018
London, UK
Origins clouds are quite low resolution compared to Odyssey. Low/Medium probably, photographic memory fails me now.. All this talk makes me want to play it again but then the grind hits back always.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
So loaded up the benchmark and I'm getting lows of 32 FPS it looks like a cpu bottleneck are there any settings that I can turn down to help my old 5820k?

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone with a 2080 know what kind of settings I should be using at 1440p to get 60fps min, seems abit heavier than ACO
With my 2080 @ 1440p the only thing I needed to turn down was Volumetric Clouds. Turn that down from Ultra to Very High and you should easily hit 60fps locked (was more like 80ish for me most of the time).

Edit: Just read that you are CPU limited. Unfortunately AC Odyssey and Origins are rough on the CPU, they both have several settings than are CPU intensive. You can try to turn down character detail, clutter and environment detail to help.

snesiscool

Feb 15, 2018
I love Ryzen integrated graphics.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G @ 3.9 GHz
GPU: AMD RX Vega 8 @ 1600 MHz
RAM: 8 GB DDR4-3000 (1 GB reserved for VRAM)

In the benchmark, average FPS was 33, with the resolution scale set to 70% of 1080p (closest thing to 720p). There were a few instances where the FPS dropped below 30 or went above 40. Even with the lowest texture settings RAM usage got pretty high. Settings are of course mostly at low or off, but the game still looks very pretty. I do have temporal AA turned on.

I only own this game because I tested Project Stream - the only reason I have it installed is so I can play the Discovery Tour mode when it comes out.

Dries

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Hi guys, I'll be playing this game pretty soon and wanted to know if I could maintain 30 fps at 4K / max settings with an GTX 1080 Ti/i7 6700K combo?

Are there also HD textures available? Watch Dogs 2 had these as free DLC so maybe AC also has something like this.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hi guys, I'll be playing this game pretty soon and wanted to know if I could maintain 30 fps at 4K / max settings with an GTX 1080 Ti/i7 6700K combo?

Are there also HD textures available? Watch Dogs 2 had these as free DLC so maybe AC also has something like this.
I had that PC combo and yes, I played at 4k 30fps ultra [except the volumetric clouds on medium]. Dont know about the HD textures though.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
Necro Bump

The AC games are the bane of my existance. The only game that truly bend my PC knees (Old build, i5 6600 with 1060 3GB) with a 100% CPU util.

Tried Special K, it's worse than normal

Everything Low

Disabled Bloom

The only way is to play capped 45 fps @ 1080