• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Man, i've really been holding off from buying the season pass but the main game surprised me so much that i've been having a real itch to go back and 100% the game. I honestly enjoyed this game much more than RDR2 and that's saying something.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't like the way the game was designed it doesn't make the game bad, unless it is recycling garbage fetch quests or some shit. It just means that the game is not for you. At that point you're basically asking the devs to make a game you want to play rather than one they want you to play. I've given up on R* games because their gameplay is trash and their overly indulgent animations piss me off. They're just not for me and I've accepted that. Maybe you should do the same with these new AC games?

And "Ubi and Odyssey fans" won't agree with you because Ubi has probably the best MTX implementation in the entire industry aside from maybe Digital Extremes. Also, Odyssey's MTX were hidden in a menu inside a menu. If the game was actually designed around MTX, they would be front and centre. The first time I even found out about the EXP boosters was when I saw threads on Era about it. I didn't do any shitty fetch quests throughout my gameplay. I just ran around clearing forts just to check my respecced builds every now and then and completed sidequests. I'd pick up the legendary quests from the city boards but I never even once worked on them. They'd just get completed while I was doing Assassin things in this assassin game.

For some reason you felt the need to dismiss my thoughts on the game more than once, insult my ability to read, and to call me a sterling faithful all because I posted my thoughts on a game you enjoyed and I didn't.
When at any point did I call the game bad? I've posted a lot about the game and if I remember correctly the only thing I was very negative about was how much I disliked the side quests I did and what effect that had on my ability to play through the main quest, which I was enjoying. What I said about them is no different to what you just said about Rockstar's gameplay.

Should people that enjoy Rockstars gameplay now dismiss your thoughts on it? Call you out for not even playing the games? Rockstar designed their games around that gameplay you just didn't like it because "reasons". It's just so dismissive and adds nothing.

My issues with the microtransactions have nothing to do with how well Ubisoft does them compared to other developers and more to do with locking a gameplay option that would have improved my experience behind a paywall. What normally would have been a cheat code is now $10.

As for the new Assassins Creed not being for me anymore I would agree. If they make the next one just like Odyessy I won't be buying it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, yeah, there's definitely a disconnect between the concept of assassinations and the RPGesque direction the series has taken. I mean, it makes sense from a gameplay perspective that assassination attacks aren't insta-kills, but an enemy brushing off a stab to the neck like they fell into a prickly bush really is ridiculous.
I mean they change the animations depending on if the attack was successful or not. I feel like that's one of the most important animation details of the last 2 games is that the player's ability to stealth is properly reflected, wounding vs. a calculated kill.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
It's not clear. Is the Athena outfit obtainable in game or for real money?
It'll be like the others - you'll be able to buy it from the in-game store for real money, or you'll be able to randomly obtain it from the Oikos of the Olympians by spending 20 orichalcum on a random reward.

New Game Plus and Exploration mode and it'll be an all-timer for me.
New game plus is already confirmed, so that's halfway there. I guess by Exploration mode you mean some kind of near-zero-difficulty way of progressing through the storyline (rather than what the game calls "Exploration Mode", which is the option for quests not to be accurately waypointed by default). If so, it hasn't been mentioned by Ubisoft (that I can recall, at least) and to be honest it does seem a bit unlikely.

I'm glad I can turn of that bullshit forced level scaling nonsense.
To be clear: you cannot. This option will allow you to change how level scaling works. The scaling will still be there. If you just want to smash lower level enemies to bits with an overpowered character, this will get you that feeling, most of the time. If you have a problem with the concept of level scaling this is not something that fixes that for you.

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished the game in 83 hours... don't see myself coming back till summer with the two expansions done and also the free updates.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
This game just keeps on giving!

One of my biggest problems with the new "Assassin's" Creed is that stealth assassinations aren't always guaranteed to be a one hit kill. That shouldn't be a skill you need to put points into, that shouldn't be based on level. If you can manage to sneak up behind someone, anyone, even a mercenary, you should be able to OHK kill them.

It is frankly antithetical to the series not be able to do that.
What you're asking for is there if you spec for it: you can play this AC game with almost equivalent stealth options as previous games (it's missing social stealth, calling in allies to assassinate targets, and a completely silent double assassination but gains the chained teleport assassination, literal invisibility, flash powder for getting away, and a ton of ranged options which are basically ranged assassinations), but you also have the option of playing this AC differently with the overt combat not sucking. By level 10, you have all of the skills needed to 1-shot most things and 2-shot the most elite enemies within 2 levels of you. By about level 15, you should be able to 1-shot almost anything within maybe 3-5 levels of you. This ability to 1-shot higher level enemies progresses as you level where maybe around level 40 you might be able to 1-shot 10 levels higher (you've probably seen my post where I almost 1-shot a mercenary 9 levels higher at level 37). There is nothing antithetical about requiring your novice mercenary-turned-assassin to need some experience and training to become a master assassin... unless you also believe that it's a fundamental part of the AC experience to always begin the game as a master assassin. Even before level 10, I was playing Odyssey almost exactly how I'd play other AC games except that I actually had to think a little more about the order that I'd kill things since I knew that I wouldn't be able to one-shot the handful of elite enemies in a fort: prioritize assassinating all regular enemies first then take on the elites where, although I wouldn't one-shot them, they wouldn't have a lot of health left after I stabbed them. AC is a better stealth game BECAUSE you can't necessarily one-shot everyone which requires you to think a bit more than just considering line of sight which was pretty much the only consideration of previous AC games. Now you might have to wait for that elite or mercenary to patrol away or lure regular enemies away from the elites first before stabbing them. You might also have to consider dead body placement because you can't just one-shot that elite who's about to turn the corner and see it.

Change isn't necessarily a bad thing.

As far as I know even if you max out assassination damage there are always some human enemies that you can't OHK. That is a problem.
This is mostly false if we're talking about optimal assassination builds which includes engraving considerations. For everything below mercenaries and maybe polemarches, you don't need anything special to one-shot except for stacking assassin damage and stabbing them at night. To guarantee polemarches, you might need to take one or two of the legendary engravings (eg. +40% damage attacking from behind, +30% damage, +100% damage but capped at 20% hp, or having extra damage vs. Athenians/Spartans). If you also stack crit chance at full health and crit damage at full health, everything including mercenaries at all times is guaranteed to die in one hit if you crit your critical assassination. For me at level 67, I have 66% chance to crit at full health and about +400% crit damage at full health. With sligtly better gear and pumping more ability points into crit skills, I could potentially raise my crit chance to about 80% I think. You might be able to completely guarantee one-hit assassinations if you went for pure damage increases as opposed to crit chance, particularly with that +100% damage but capped at 20% hp engraving, but I like the crit build because it's also incredible for melting enemies in overt combat.

Last edited:

Tiamat

Nov 16, 2017
I hope there is a Discovery mode like in Origins. That might have been my favorite part of that game.
I had a customer (Ancient Greece historian ) who bought me a gaming pc who can play well the game (his daughter will play for him) because he said he is a consultant for the discovery tour.
We discuss a lot about Greek civilisation, it was fun. I finished the game the day before.
So I guess it's true, I don't know he would lie to me.
Strange thing happens in a medium size town store in France...

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Ah, right. Ubi has made a big deal about player choice with Odyssey, and, as you've implied, railroading such a key story element would fly in the face of that, so, yeah, here's hoping the aforementioned concept will prevail.
Seems kind of a given though considering the animus is based on biological ancestors. At some point Kassandra/Alexios had to have had a child biologically their own.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I mean they change the animations depending on if the attack was successful or not. I feel like that's one of the most important animation details of the last 2 games is that the player's ability to stealth is properly reflected, wounding vs. a calculated kill.

By that same token, though, what would help quite a bit is the damage indicator taking into account base buffs. This is especially true of the critical assassination skill, where you currently have to eyeball the extra damage, as the red bar indicates just the standard assassination attack, despite there being a separate prompt for a CA.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems kind of a given though considering the animus is based on biological ancestors. At some point Kassandra/Alexios had to have had a child biologically their own.

From what i understand You stopped needing biological descendants in the modern day storyline presented in Origins. Layla's animus allows you to browse memories from people as long as they you have genetic material from them which could come from a number of things

Last edited:
OP
OP
sibarraz

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
By that same token, though, what would help quite a bit is the damage indicator taking into account base buffs. This is especially true of the critical assassination skill, where you currently have to eyeball the extra damage, as the red bar indicates just the standard assassination attack, despite there being a separate prompt for a CA.

Isn't that attack a multiplier of your regular attack? At least I almost always know when to use it to get a 1 hit KO

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but think it's intentionally obscured as a creative decision to create tense risk-reward scenarios when infiltrating camps and having to decide in the moment whether your buffs will be enough to silently kill your foe and stay hidden or not and risk causing a ruckus and raising the alarm (unless you made it to the alarm first and laid a trap, etc., etc.).

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Nice! Hopefully the NG+ update comes soon too. Would like to do another playthrough with Alexios with all these QoL updates once I'm done with Kassandra.
Yeah, I'd definitely try NG+ just to see various story outcomes, but I'm not restarting from scratch to do that haha.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Isn't that attack a multiplier of your regular attack? At least I almost always know when to use it to get a 1 hit KO

Yeah, but 250% is harder to guesstimate than 200% or 300%, and even at 200%/300%, it's not uncommon to find yourself in a situation where what should have been a one-hit kill was off be mere pixels.

I agree, but think it's intentionally obscured as a creative decision to create tense risk-reward scenarios when infiltrating camps and having to decide in the moment whether your buffs will be enough to silently kill your foe and stay hidden or not and risk causing a ruckus and raising the alarm (unless you made it to the alarm first and laid a trap, etc., etc.).

Ah, that's a fair consideration.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
YES!! I will play this game again just because of this option in the update:

Enemy scaling option, you can choose to have all enemies being at your same level, or at lower levels

I have always hated the level scaling in this game.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
My main problem with the crit assassination is how hard it is to pull off mechanically. Holding triangle just doesn't work as well as it should and it's too easy for enemies walking away while you're creeping behind (the majority situation for crit kills) to walk slightly out of range.

OP
OP
sibarraz

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
About Kassandra/Alexios sexuality
Maybe I haven't explored all the romance options in this game, but the times that I did (With both mens and womens) I always thought that the dialogue lines never truly defined the sexuality, and that the mc only wanted to have sex and didn't cared about the feelings of the other

In that regard no matter with who you wanted to have sex, by the end of the day I always considered that canon wise Alexios/Kassandra was bisexual, so in that regard it doesn't offend me that they give them a couple to have childrens

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The continued updates are truly something, I can't wait to do all of the new content.
My main problem with the crit assassination is how hard it is to pull off mechanically. Holding triangle just doesn't work as well as it should and it's too easy for enemies walking away while you're creeping behind (the majority situation for crit kills) to walk slightly out of range.
Yeah, I've noticed this while playing.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with this.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
You can start holding the button and move at the same time to stay in range.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I hit 100% earlier in the week so new DLC dropping soon along with those other options is welcome news. Time to jump back in!

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing this last week and the grind is pretty annoying if you don't really care about doing x sidequest (collect X items, kill x!) so you don't have to spend 10 minutes fighting an enemy that's a damage sponge because they're 3 levels above you. Them patching in the option just now shouldn't be a surprise now that they got some day one mtx money and don't see the need to push it as hard, not the first game to do this and won't be the last.

Sorry, but no, i NEVER tried to do a fetchquest during my whole playthrough (only once at the beginning becuase I didnt know what the markers where), and I was always "overleveld" as in 2 levels above, that is the max, on every island i visited by midgame.
I only did story missions and side missions (that are really well written and are not simple fetchquests in odyssey) and also clear some camps here and there (and usually side and story missions send you there already).

You started playing as you said so i dont even undertand why you thought you needed to grind for antything. And if you are not playing the sidemissions, im sorry but its like you are basically not playing the game.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I had a customer (Ancient Greece historian ) who bought me a gaming pc who can play well the game (his daughter will play for him) because he said he is a consultant for the discovery tour.
We discuss a lot about Greek civilisation, it was fun. I finished the game the day before.
So I guess it's true, I don't know he would lie to me.
Strange thing happens in a medium size town store in France...

Discovery Tour has already been confirmed by Ubi so it's definitely coming.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I wish they could add Aetolia, Thessaly or Epirus regions so we can visit new places on the map. After ~120 or more hours i 'm at 65 level with 100% of the story and wait for the DLCs. I ll return to the game by the end of the month to experience all the new content.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
That's not how the Animus works in Odyssey. It's using a direct DNA sample from the spear.
From what i understand You stopped needing biological descendants in the modern day storyline presented in Origins. Layla's animus allows you to browse memories from people as long as they you have genetic material from them which could come from a number of things
Ah my bad. I zoned out and and jumped back into the animus as soon as I could. Love Kassandra's story too much to get distracted.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Really happy to see them still supporting the title after release with more content then what they were gonna deliver.

Currently they are currently on track with DLC roadmap

zanrvdbo22m11.jpg

I only want to know when Assassin Creed 3/Liberations Remastered are gonna be released.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
So hyped about lowering enemy levels and smashing through everything! Super excited to jump back in and clear the map!

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
That's pretty hype. This game is a joy to keep coming back to for awhile. It's not a Skyrim level obsession for me but as a more casual open world game it's phenomenal.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
How meaty is the DLC? The game has started to win me over after i wasn't really feeling it, so might get it if it's good content.

Cocaine Jesus

Nov 4, 2018
Has there been any word on the hard mode mythical creatures and the abomination set? The bosses were one the most memorable parts of the game to me and I'd love to revisit them. Finding out they weren't implemented yet was incredibly disappointing, I mean it was a loading screen tip when the game launched months ago and I still haven't heard any news on it

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm really not a fan of making these expansions episodic. The first expansion in particular isn't appealing at all as piece meal content because it hardly differentiates itself from the shit ton of content in the base game already. They should have just kept the model they had with the Origins expansions.

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
What's the combat like in this game? Akin to Dark Souls or more like the Witcher?
It's more Souls than the Witcher, but I wouldn't say it's like Dark Souls, it's probably closest to Nioh (not as good, as deep and certainly not as hard), but a good variety of weapon types, very good movement and very smooth bow transitions to play with too (a lot of really useful moves with the bow actually). It's has far better stealth combat than Nioh obviously.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Man i am afraid 2 boot this up after 2 months of red dead. The main game was already packed with content, i am getting nervous just seeing all the new icons littered on the map.

Glad to have lots of QOL updates .

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really not a fan of making these expansions episodic. The first expansion in particular isn't appealing at all as piece meal content because it hardly differentiates itself frommthr shit ton of content in the base game already. They should have just kept the model they had with the Origins expansions.

Agree with this which is why im waiting until both expansions are fully released. On the flip side, with me having 12 games in the first 5 months of 2019, im not as disappointed as I was months ago.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
How meaty is the DLC? The game has started to win me over after i wasn't really feeling it, so might get it if it's good content.
DLC is very much a work in progress so take any time-based numbers below as guidelines.

The first episode of the Legacy of the Hidden Blade DLC is about four hours long, with a main quest line, its own set of side quests, and a few memorable story moments along the way. A lot of it is setting up future episodes but it does conclude its own portion of the story arc fairly well. The DLC introduces The Order and this part works like hunting the cultists from the main game. The other episodes will likely be of similar length and follow a similar structure so this bit of DLC is...let's guess at 12 hours long.

The Lost Tales of Greece quests are, I think, actually a bit better so far, and those are free for everyone. There's four of them - The Show Must Go On (themed around Greek theatre), A Divine Intervention (themed around Greek gods), The Image of Faith (themed around hero worship) and today's new one, The Daughters of Lalaia (a relatively basic defend-the-village storyline). These probably average out to an hour of playtime each.

We know very little about the other 3 paid DLC episodes apart from the name, The Fate of Atlantis, and the one-sentence description from Ubisoft saying it "will set players against mythic creatures while they uncover the mysteries of the fabled sunken city of Atlantis". I'd assume that each of the three episodes will be similarly-sized to the Hidden Blade episodes.

The rest of the DLC included in the season pass is other games - remasters of both Assassin's Creed III and Liberation. ACIII remastered should be quite interesting for fans of the series since lots of ACIII's well-known flaws shouldn't be too difficult to fix. ACIII is a relatively long game by the standards of Assassin's Creed games pre-Origins (probably 30+ hours depending on how interested you are in the game). Liberation is one of the shorter games in the series (probably about 10 hours long).

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
Nice!!! I am in the middle of it!

I was hating the level scaling at first but it settling 2 levels below you was ok. Having an option is even better.