• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I got this for Christmas but haven't started yet. Does the scaling option eliminate one of the issue the game had regarding the grind?

Oct 25, 2017
Glad they finally added the option for people who wanted it. I didn't feel it was necessary to have the option when I played through, but there were a few players in the older threads upset that they couldn't spend the kind of time with the game that it demanded; now they can, and they should, because AC:O is one of the best games of last year.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got this for Christmas but haven't started yet. Does the scaling option eliminate one of the issue the game had regarding the grind?

There is no problem with grinding. At best it just means that you'll blow thru the game quicker and fights will cease to matter because you'll quickly be overleveled even if you sparingly explore the map outside of story mission.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I personally think that making characters "hard" to kill in hand to hand combat is a great design for this kind of game, since it actually makes one shooting them through assasination more rewarding

I know that you are joking, but I always found odd how so much people criticized this game for that, when almost anyone who actually played the game never complained about the level cap gating content for you

Specially since you can beat the main quest at level 35 and I'm already level 55 with 10 more hours of main story left, and without spending money

I really hate when people try to gatekeep criticisms by saying anyone who played the game didn't have an issue with the level gaps/ level gating. It's fine if you didn't have a problem with them but there are people who did have issues with the level gating. It completely ruined the game for me. Thankfully I bought it on PC so I have options but if I had bought it on a console the only option would be to buy the XP boost.
Level scaling wasn't even a planned part of Origin's post release patch/dlc schedule but was heavily requested enough that they decided to add an option, same thing here.

They didn't remove level scaling altogether they just created an option for it. And they're planning on supporting this game quite far into 2019 and that includes purchases so obviously the game is still financially viable.
I feel like this excuse works for Origins but not Odyessy. A heavily requested option that didn't make it into the sequel because....why? They didn't know people would want it in Odyessy?

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Makes me wish I had waited to start the game later, the level scaling is my least favorite thing. Hopefully the patch releases soon, I don't plan on stopping to wait for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've been playing since release and never had any grind. The real issue at launch was that there was too much content to do before you'd hit the level cap, which they fixed. It's at 70 now, and I half expect them to raise it to 85 and then to 100 before the end of its life.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
...exactly. But you were criticizing him for saying that he disagreed with the level scaling.

I didn't criticize him for saying that he disagreed with the level scaling. He said the inclusion was a bad thing because of his preferences and I said the inclusion was a good thing, with the caveat that it was optional and based on the user's preferences.

Then he went off on a weird strawman thing about wobbly cameras and his platonic idea of how the game should be.

Imagine a fish and chips restaurant announces that now, in addition to normal potato fries, they'll also be carrying sweet potato fries. What he did was essentially say "that's a bad idea. I don't think sweet potato fries work well with fish."

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate when people try to gatekeep criticisms by saying anyone who played the game didn't have an issue with the level gaps/ level gating. It's fine if you didn't have a problem with them but there are people who did have issues with the level gating. It completely ruined the game for me. Thankfully I bought it on PC so I have options but if I had bought it on a console the only option would be to buy the XP boost.

I feel like this excuse works for Origins but not Odyessy. A heavily requested option that didn't make it into the sequel because....why? They didn't know people would want it in Odyessy?

Level scaling was the heavily requested option, not flat levels.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
They should care at least to improve a bit the loading times on Pro because sometimes are really annoying from my personal experience.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I love how AC games do the GaaS model. It's honestly great. So much STUFF.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
I played the game but that's not important to what I wrote. Why add it in after if the level scaling has zero impact on microtransactions? It was an option added into Origins that a lot of people enjoyed so why wasn't it there at release?

I never said they were needed to complete the game.
Maybe you can't read or maybe you're one of the Sterling faithfuls with your fingers in your ears repeating "I can't hear you" but here:

Level scaling wasn't even a planned part of Origin's post release patch/dlc schedule but was heavily requested enough that they decided to add an option, same thing here.
Also, before you ask the obvious, "Why didn't they add it to Odyssey if it was such a highly requested feature for Origins?", then the answer is that two games were made by entirely separate teams. Odyssey team was probably busy making their own game rather than making sure all of Origins' QoL stuff made it into Odyssey Day 1.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The post-launch support for this franchise is industry best. I honestly think this game is a gold standard for providing a generous amount of content out of the game, as well as offering an excellent amount of paid and free content post launch that adds to the experience of hardcore players.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Also, before you ask the obvious, "Why didn't they add it to Odyssey if it was such a highly requested feature for Origins?", then the answer is that two games were made by entirely separate teams. Odyssey team was probably busy making their own game rather than making sure all of Origins' QoL stuff made it into Odyssey Day 1.
Exactly.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of level scaling, at least on Nightmare, can be a huge pain to begin with, but I found it more or less stopped being a problem once you begin unlocking Tier 2 abilities. E.g. Today, my character is a level 70 assassin, and more often than not I can one-hit mercs with a critical assassination attack.
One of my biggest problems with the new "Assassin's" Creed is that stealth assassinations aren't always guaranteed to be a one hit kill. That shouldn't be a skill you need to put points into, that shouldn't be based on level. If you can manage to sneak up behind someone, anyone, even a mercenary, you should be able to OHK kill them.

It is frankly antithetical to the series not be able to do that.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft and their games have set a new standard in post launch support for games. Both recent AC's, Division and For Honor has had great updates since they launched. Really showing how to do GaaS properly.

One of my biggest problems with the new "Assassin's" Creed is that stealth assassinations aren't always guaranteed to be a one hit kill. That shouldn't be a skill you need to put points into, that shouldn't be based on level. If you can manage to sneak up behind someone, anyone, even a mercenary, you should be able to OHK kill them.

That would cheese a huge chunk of the game, considering how iffy the AI is. You could literally run from bush>bush and clear out an entire garrison quicker than it takes to kill them all normally. I like how it changed up the gameplay based on how certain enemies have a resistance to stuff like Assassinations, Ranged or Melee.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
You were able to turn off level scaling since release?
No. Level scaling was added to Origins after release and is in Odyssey since release. So the 'heavily requested feature' has been there since day one.

But perhaps we are misunderstanding each other...

Edit: If you are talking about adjustable level scaling (what they are adding), it wasn't a thing in Origins, just difficulty levels.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Oh, yeah, there's definitely a disconnect between the concept of assassinations and the RPGesque direction the series has taken. I mean, it makes sense from a gameplay perspective that assassination attacks aren't insta-kills, but an enemy brushing off a stab to the neck like they fell into a prickly bush really is ridiculous.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I think you misunderstand. Just to clarify:

In Origins, there was no level scaling so you quickly outlevelled everything and combat became easy and trivialized in underlevelled areas. People spoke up and pointed out how this affected their experiences in those areas. They then added in the option to scale levels so this wouldn't be a problem.

In Odyssey, as opposed to adding it in later like in Origins, they started with level scaling as the default, probably to avoid having the same issue Origins had where certain areas quickly become trivialized if you didn't visit them early on. They are now patching in an option to tweak the level scaling to make things easier, if you choose. I think the default now is that enemies lower than two levels below your own level will simply scale up to two levels below your own level. Enemies two levels below you and up stay that way.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you can't read or maybe you're one of the Sterling faithfuls with your fingers in your ears repeating "I can't hear you" but here:

I love how people defend these games by trying anything to dismiss other people criticisms. Let me help you. I found the game to be grindy. I found the level cap and level gating to be a negative experience, for me . If you didn't good for you. But it doesn't make my experience with the game wrong.

"Sterlings faithfuls"? Grow up.

I think you misunderstand. Just to clarify:

In Origins, there was no level scaling so you quickly outlevelled everything and combat became easy and trivialized in underlevelled areas. People spoke up and pointed out how this affected their experiences in those areas. They then added in the option to scale levels so this wouldn't be a problem.

In Odyssey, as opposed to adding it in later like in Origins, they started with level scaling as the default, probably to avoid having the same issue Origins had where certain areas quickly become trivialized if you didn't visit them early on. They are now patching in an option to tweak the level scaling to make things easier, if you choose. I think the default now is that enemies lower than two levels below your own level will simply scale up to two levels below your own level. Enemies two levels below you and up stay that way.

I didn't know Origins was different. That certainly explains why I had no issues until the very end with the level gating in Origins and why I find Odyessy's grind so much worse.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I started playing this last week and the grind is pretty annoying if you don't really care about doing x sidequest (collect X items, kill x!) so you don't have to spend 10 minutes fighting an enemy that's a damage sponge because they're 3 levels above you. Them patching in the option just now shouldn't be a surprise now that they got some day one mtx money and don't see the need to push it as hard, not the first game to do this and won't be the last.

OP
OP
sibarraz

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the time assassinations end up killing an enemy, even "the powerful ones" as long as you build you character an gear to upgrade the assassin attack, and normally those who don't die are people who already have a resistance to assassin attack, but you could still kill them quickly with your bow if they don't have the resistance (and you can check this with ikarus)

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
I love how people defend these games by trying anything to dismiss other people criticisms. Let me help you. I found the game to be grindy. I found the level cap and level gating to be a negative experience, for me . If you didn't good for you. But it doesn't make my experience with the game wrong.

You - Hey dawg, you defeated my previous point so now I'll go off on a tangent.
Me - It wasn't grindy, because the sidequests are bespoke and mostly decently written
You - No they were trash / I shouldn't have to do sidequests and should be able to mainline this open world action RPG coz "reasons"

Is this how we're going to go?
If yes, then stop throwing your recycled arguments around because you really are someone incapable of forming your own opinions by trying to play the game the way it was designed.

Most of the time assassinations end up killing an enemy, even "the powerful ones" as long as you build you character an gear to upgrade the assassin attack, and normally those who don't die are people who already have a resistance to assassin attack, but you could still kill them quickly with your bow if they don't have the resistance (and you can check this with ikarus)
You're trying to teach those people how to play the game who don't want to play these new AC games. They want the old one button, counter everything to death approach which made the series fucking stale. The problem isn't that the gameplay is bad (though I'd never call it very good either), but that people don't want to accept this gameplay and loot system in an AC game.

Last edited:

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

It has always been pretty trivial in the games to sneak around and assassinate someone from behind if you are methodical enough about it. Honestly the way they've implemented it here makes it a bit more risk-reward, and feels pretty satisfying to me when you can pull of a OHKO. I thought I would dislike this change a lot but in the end I actually think it works better with all the other systems they've built the game on top of. I can see how it might not fit someone's particular play style though.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know Origins was different. That certainly explains why I had no issues until the very end with the level gating in Origins and why I find Odyessy's grind so much worse.
Hm, that sucks that you had that experience, but I personally was always 2 levels above every mission throughout the main questline and I (1) only completed forts/outposts if a quest took me there and (2) only did the yellow question mark quests, and even then only if the main questline brought me across them. I couldn't even tell you which of those were main quests and which were sidequests. Some I assume were unnecessary but I couldn't pick them apart as they tied into the main quest a lot. Like it felt like I just played through storyline content and was a consistent two levels above everything. Never touched notice boards or naval quests or whatever those things are.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Learning that there's going to be a Discovery mode and seeing what this patch adds has perhaps pushed me over the edge and gotten me to firmly add this to my "buy" list. Very cool work by the development team!

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
Shout out to a previous update that added the ability to change the visuals of any piece of armor to anything you have previously looted. Such a great idea. So many rpg games where higher level loot doesn't look as cool as lower level stuff, so you begrudgingly equip the higher level, uglier gear. So nice to have the option to make it look however you want now.

Every patch they add more awesome stuff.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Happy with the level scaling options. I didn't know there was level scaling until I was level 16 when I started getting annoyed when trying to grind a few levels to make the game easier. The level scaling is a big hindrance of my enjoyment of the game.

I will be going for the medium option.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil

For the same reason that a headshot don't always kill an enemy on The Division. It's an RPG. One hit kill would break the game.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
You - Hey dawg, you defeated my previous point so now I'll go off on a tangent.
Me - It wasn't grindy, because the sidequests are bespoke and mostly decently written
You - No they were trash / I shouldn't have to do sidequests and should be able to mainline this open world action RPG coz "reasons"

Is this how we're going to go?
If yes, then stop throwing your recycled arguments around because you really are someone incapable of forming your own opinions by trying to play the game the way it was designed.
Here you go again trying to say I am incapable of forming my own opinions on a game I played for 30 hours. My opinion is I don't like the way the game was designed. You don't get to say I'm wrong about that. You can disagree with me, tell me why you like it but at no point does that make me wrong.

I gave up on the level scaling option being added later because it won't go anywhere. I think they were added later to maximize on microtransactions. You and the other Odyessy fans will never agree with that and Ubisoft would never admit it.

May 9, 2018
You can one-hit kill things as an Assassin and do a stealth playstyle, it's just not just given for free and have to actually gear for it. (but in the process you get a multi-OHKO and a single-target nuke skill).

Granted going Hunter and using Devastating Shot is a bit safer on the stealth side while still letting you fare well in combat.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't criticize him for saying that he disagreed with the level scaling. He said the inclusion was a bad thing because of his preferences and I said the inclusion was a good thing, with the caveat that it was optional and based on the user's preferences.

Then he went off on a weird strawman thing about wobbly cameras and his platonic idea of how the game should be.

Imagine a fish and chips restaurant announces that now, in addition to normal potato fries, they'll also be carrying sweet potato fries. What he did was essentially say "that's a bad idea. I don't think sweet potato fries work well with fish."
I mean, I get what you're saying (and this'll be the last message about it because it's not worth getting into an argument about, we're all good) but who cares if he said that he doesn't think sweet potato fries work well with fish? I don't really understand how else he's supposed to say it.

But for the important question... do sweet potato fries go well with fish? That's a combo I don't think I've ever had.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Here you go again trying to say I am incapable of forming my own opinions on a game I played for 30 hours. My opinion is I don't like the way the game was designed. You don't get to say I'm wrong about that. You can disagree with me, tell me why you like it but at no point does that make me wrong.

I gave up on the level scaling being added later because it won't go anywhere. I think they were added later to maximize on microtransactions. You and the other Odyessy fans will never agree with that and Ubisoft would never admit it.
If you don't like the way the game was designed it doesn't make the game bad, unless it is recycling garbage fetch quests or some shit. It just means that the game is not for you. At that point you're basically asking the devs to make a game you want to play rather than one they want you to play. As an example, I've given up on R* games because their gameplay is trash (imo) and their overly indulgent animations piss me off. They're just not for me and I've accepted that. Maybe you should do the same with these new AC games?

And "Ubi and Odyssey fans" won't agree with you because Ubi has probably the best MTX implementation in the entire industry aside from maybe Digital Extremes. Also, Odyssey's MTX were hidden in a menu inside a menu. If the game was actually designed around MTX, they would be front and centre. The first time I even found out about the EXP boosters was when I saw threads on Era about it. I didn't do any shitty fetch quests throughout my gameplay. I just ran around clearing forts just to check my respecced builds every now and then and completed sidequests. I'd pick up the legendary quests from the city boards but I never even once worked on them. They'd just get completed while I was doing Assassin things in this assassin game. I hit the level cap of 50 around 6-7 hours before I finished the main quest and I still had dozens of untriggered sidequests on the map.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I mean, I get what you're saying (and this'll be the last message about it because it's not worth getting into an argument about, we're all good) but who cares if he said that he doesn't think sweet potato fries work well with fish? I don't really understand how else he's supposed to say it.

But for the important question... do sweet potato fries go well with fish? That's a combo I don't think I've ever had.

Sweet potato fries go well with everything.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

...that makes no sense. At all. If anything Origins was more grindy because stuff wouldn't scale to your level, netting you less XP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, countless video games have actions that should very, very obviously kill an enemy but don't for gameplay reasons. Strange to harp on it here.
I don't know, maybe because it's a cornerstone of the series? It would be like if headshots didn't kill in Sniper Elite if you didn't upgrade your skull penetrating ability skill.

Utter nonsense.

As far as I know even if you max out assassination damage there are always some human enemies that you can't OHK. That is a problem.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Awesome stuff, impressed with their support. Finally with the level scaling option!!!!

New Game Plus and Exploration mode and it'll be an all-timer for me.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Nice support.....I picked up the gold edition at launch.....I'm still gonna wait till July and all content is out before playing though,lol.