• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
You should check out Origins.

It's similar as it's the one that gave the series this soft rpg reboot. Plus Bayek and Aya are reat.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I bought it on Pro and haven't played it yet. I just bought an X so I wonder if I should get it on there too? How does it run on X resolution wise compared to Pro? I'm like you where I haven't liked these games since 3/Black Flag.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
The most impressive thing about this game to me is all the complex system/simulations coming together to make a better whole. The more you invest in, the more you get with these games I feel. It is fantastic open world game and also one of my favorites this gen.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The most impressive thing about this game to me is all the complex system/simulations coming together to make a better whole. The more you invest in, the more you get with these games I feel. It is fantastic open world game and also one of my favorites this gen.

Not sure about complex. It felt more like they just added every mechanic they could think of but none of them were fleshed out and integrated into the game in a meaningful way. I'd rather they just concentrated one or two of the systems instead of putting them all in half baked.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
AC origins was great, but still havent touched AC odyssey. One of the reasons is that people say its much much much bigger and longer that ac origins. And tbh that kinda scares me, wish ac games would return to the 25 to 35h romp to complete everything.

Sure you can say focus only on the story missions, butim pretty OCD when it comes to completing games.

Jul 26, 2018
Sorry but I can't get into a game with braindead/bad gameplay. If the core gameplay is no good I can't stomach it. Reason why I couldn't get into TW3, GTA5, AC Origins... I could barely stomach RDR2

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Kassandra is ❤️

I liked the game a lot, though the bloat criticism is fair, I think. I also have a gripe with the ending - or, actually, with how the game tackled the ending possibilities...

the fact that the game has three major plotlines (your family and your revenge, the Cult, the Isu stuff) and they essentially say "you can finish those three in any order you want!" makes it feel a bit... anti-climactic. I even did those three things kind of in a row (first I managed to reunite Kass's family, THEN I dealt with the Isu/sealing Atlantis stuff and finally killed the Ghost of Kosmos) and even so, doing that in sequence, didn't feel like a proper climax/endgame. It just... happened. Dunno, at least the family scene I got with Deimos was emotionally satisfying, but the rest? Nope. So IMO, the fact that the game doesn't have a point of no return where the three plotlines converge for a Grand Finale -which is something I would've preferred- ended up hurting the experience a bit.

And then, after doing those three things, goddamn Layla has the gall to say shit like "hey looks like I haven't seen everything from Kassandra's story, I'll go back to the Animus now".

Fuck that transparent shit. I wanted an actual ENDING.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
It's the only AC game I've managed to platinum, which certainly says something given its scope even against other massive AC games.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Game finally clicked with me recently (I'd barely played it before) and I'm nearly 20 hours in now. I adore it. I don't know why I hadn't given it the proper time before, I usually play the AC games about a year late when they're cheap and I can grab the season pass on sale. The mercenary's and the cult stuff is fantastic. I love the loop.

I did pick up the XP boost DLC though after reading that Polygon article about how it makes the pacing loads better and, to be completely honest, I agree. As soon as I started levelling up faster and being able to buy cool assassin abilities quicker I started enjoying the game loads more. I don't at all feel like I'm rushing through the game and just skipping content. It feels totally fine. As I say, I'm 20 hours in now and nowhere near the end. I kinda feel like an idiot buying it but, heh, I think it makes the game loads better. If it made the game only like 5 hours long then I wouldn't be praising it. It's still a monster game. Figured my time was worth more than the £6 or whatever it cost me. I got everything on sale too so I basically got the game, the Season Pass and the XP boost for about £40. Not bad.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
i mean in terms of structure. obivously an overlay only of a handful of gameplay scenarios (clear bandit outpost, find doodad, ect) permutated 1000 times but with filled in with different environs, characters, VA for 'immersion'. which is a lot easier/faster to develop than something like RDR or witcher which everything is mostly bespoke for moment to moment gameplay
Ah right yes. This is why I couldn't get past lvl 25, despite being a huge AC fan. It's just to fucking repetitive.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
It's great but I made the mistake last year of playing it too much in a short period of time over Christmas etc, burned me the fuck out.

Whole lotta game that you've gotta pace yourself with otherwise its gonna turn into a slog.

Aug 13, 2019
Odyssey is certainly a good game, but after 77 hours I find it difficult to pick it back up. I haven't even beaten the game yet, and I'll definitely try to eventually, but I'm just incredibly bored with it. I feel like I've already experienced everything the world has to offer, despite still having a few unexplored regions, and all that's left to do is power through the main story. I'm fine with repetition, I'm a Koei Warriors fan after all, but 100 hours of it is a bit much.

Edit: My favorite AC games are still Black Flag and Syndicate.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey was the first AC game I've played since the very first one and I'm glad I got it. I really quite enjoyed it, and yes if you like it you will easily spend more than 30 hours with the game.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty incredible. I also didn't really like the last entries and was lukewarm on Origins (even though it made a great first impression). The scope of it alone is crazy, but it's also just very satisfying to play.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played Origins and loved it. fantastic sense of exploration and discovery. wonderful egyptian setting great reboot.

this looks more of the same. i couldnt even get myself to watch the reviews. they needed to go to a completely different setting just a year after origins. this shouldve been a year 3 game at best.

p.s im an ac fan of sorts. loved ac2 and brotherhood. disliked the last ezio game and didnt bother even getting through the haytem parts in ac3. LOVED black flags, but i was pretty much done after that. ac unity brought me back. paris was absolutely beautiful and i loved exploring that city. i was very lukewarm on syndicate and these people made odyssey. ubisoft did poorly. the unity team is actually the most talented team out of all ac teams and no one seems to realize this.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the season pass on sale a while back and picked it up after hearing good things about the Atlantis DLC. I had put in around 60 hours in the game without ever finishing the main campaign, and finally picked it back up today. Wrapped up the main campaign and did some other quests to prepare for the DLC and man, this game is still really damn good, isn't it? Just a hell of an action RPG.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Odyssey yet, but I'm about 30 hours into Origins right now and it's easily the best Ass Creed game I've played. I'm actually looking forward to going straight into Odyssey after this.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
the fact that the game has three major plotlines (your family and your revenge, the Cult, the Isu stuff) and they essentially say "you can finish those three in any order you want!" makes it feel a bit... anti-climactic. I even did those three things kind of in a row (first I managed to reunite Kass's family, THEN I dealt with the Isu/sealing Atlantis stuff and finally killed the Ghost of Kosmos) and even so, doing that in sequence, didn't feel like a proper climax/endgame. It just... happened. Dunno, at least the family scene I got with Deimos was emotionally satisfying, but the rest? Nope. So IMO, the fact that the game doesn't have a point of no return where the three plotlines converge for a Grand Finale -which is something I would've preferred- ended up hurting the experience a bit.

And then, after doing those three things, goddamn Layla has the gall to say shit like "hey looks like I haven't seen everything from Kassandra's story, I'll go back to the Animus now".

Fuck that transparent shit. I wanted an actual ENDING.

upon finishing the "family" plotline i thought that was the main ending. honestly i thought it was super refreshing... like, woah no epic final battle with a giant cyclops or athenian soliders or anything. just a down to earth mostly relatable ending

learning i wasn't particularly "done" kind of took the wind out of those sails but personally i thought it strayed from the norm and thought it was fitting for a game you're supposed to keep playing another ~50 hrs if you really want

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I just picked it up a week or so ago just after picking up my first 4K HDR set. Holy shit is this a looker. WTF are next gen open world games going look like?
I've always enjoyed the AC game loop and I'm really loving Odyssey.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I just picked it up a week or so ago just after picking up my first 4K HDR set. Holy shit is this a looker. WTF are next gen open world games going look like?
I've always enjoyed the AC game loop and I'm really loving Odyssey.

Open worlds are typically the best looking games these days because they have the most money put behind them.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
The fact that you "don't even like these games" is why you think its awesome.

Because its very far removed from the original vision of the series.

I was initially quite fond of the game, but as time went on, and the hours and the horrendous expansions came out, I soured on the experience. The game is shallow. All of your verbs are "kill" so no real emergent gameplay is possible, progression is strictly vertical and long and arduous (especially with the level cap increases), the story is disjointed and contradictory with an honestly terrible presentation, the writing ranges from sophomoric to ridiculous, and not in a good way; the game is a worse RPG for being an Assassin's Creed game and a worse Assassin's Creed game for being an RPG.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The fact that you "don't even like these games" is why you think its awesome.

Because its very far removed from the original vision of the series.

I was initially quite fond of the game, but as time went on, and the hours and the horrendous expansions came out, I soured on the experience. The game is shallow. All of your verbs are "kill" so no real emergent gameplay is possible, progression is strictly vertical and long and arduous (especially with the level cap increases), the story is disjointed and contradictory with an honestly terrible presentation, the writing ranges from sophomoric to ridiculous, and not in a good way; the game is a worse RPG for being an Assassin's Creed game and a worse Assassin's Creed game for being an RPG.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Odyssey to me was like fast food. It was enjoyable and somewhat addictive but in the back of your head you knew it wasn't particular good or sophisticated. You can clearly see that it's a product of the developers perfecting a gameplay loop that has just the perfect rate of positive stimulus to keep you playing.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
?
he's right. A lot of people like Odyssey/Origins despite not liking AC before.... it's pretty obviously because the game lost most of its AC baggage and became an action rpg.

That post is exaggerated.
The DLC was great. I thought the story was fine, side quests added a lot to it , not sure where the terrible presentation is, I don't see it. I played most ACs and thought the change up to Origins/Odyssey was fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
My #2 of the year, just behind God of War. It's a wonderful game, and I'm onboard Day 0 for the alleged Viking title from the Origins team (even though I only got 10 hours into Origins before dropping it)

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really wish i liked AC O as much as most people . I enjoyed Origins immensely . But odyssey , idk , it just feels a bit too streamlined , too gameplay loop focused and weightless which im sure are intentional design decisions . I wanted to be lost in the world , but still have some sort of grounded experience and limitations to my character . A more methodical hand crafted approach to its biomes and quests. Like each new biome should feel exciting, but it never felt like that. idk

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
So far the gameplay loop is so so satisfying to me. Hopefully that holds for the next 30 hours
The gameplay loop is the only thing that makes me going after 30 hours, because man, most of the side quests are nothing but fetch quest with paper thin plot attached to it. I don't really care about bringing bear balls to a horny old woman, and I don't find it funny either.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Beautifully said and exactly how I feel. Really nothing to add...those are the exact reasons I feel the new direction has been bad for the series.

Umm he was 100% correct, so that reaction is pretty lame.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't finish AC1. Really loved AC2 and it's one of the best games of my life. But after that, only played 2,3 games of this series for 1,2 hours and didn't play Unity and Syndicate.
But Origins and Odyssey were amazing for me. Loved both games, played each one for about 100 hours and got platinum from both.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I didn't finish AC1. Really loved AC2 and it's one of the best games of my life. But after that, only played 2,3 games of this series for 1,2 hours and didn't play Unity and Syndicate.
But Origins and Odyssey were amazing for me. Loved both games, played each one for about 100 hours and got platinum from both.

180 hours I put into Odyssey. It's incredible.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey ist the game I spent the most time on. 130 hours and still going. It is still amazing. In Origins I spent around 100 hours.
Can't wait for the release of the discovery tour next week.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Hours played is often the argument used for how good Odyssey is but really the main thing that indicates for certain is that it's addictive. It's designed basically like a singleplayer MMO.

AM_LIGHT

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I finally have some free time to start the game , absolutely loved origins .
Only problem is I can't decide between Kassandra or Alexis .

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
180 hours I put into Odyssey. It's incredible.

That truly blows my mind. I'm 60 hours in and have wanted it to end for about the past 20. It's so damn repetitive and bloated, the story is not good, the side missions are mostly terrible, the writing is weak, voice acting is mostly awful, etc. I can't even imagine how you could enjoy it for 180 hours.

Yeah it's amazing! I know people have different opinions, but still can't believe they say they didn't play more than 10,20 hours because they found it repetitive.

I found that the repetition and grinding really set in at around the 20-hour mark. Up until that point, I actually quite liked the game for its beautiful world, pretty good combat, presence of some early good side missions, and allure of RPG elements. Then things really started to fall apart.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to try it but I'm skeptical because everyone who sings its praises also sings Horizon's praises, which while very competent, just failed to grab me.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oct 27, 2017
Loved Origins, got Odyssey recently in a sale. It's good, but hasn't grabbed me yet. I'm still on the starting Island though, so I suspect I just need to give it more time. Graphically it's immense of course.

I will say I started playing as the bloke first and found him to be such a bad character that after an hour I restarted as Kassandra as she is much better.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
As soon as the bars came up that I had to fill / deplete to gain control of an area my eyes rolled back into my head and my brain switched off. Moved on right away as for some reason I can't stand that mechanic!