• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Gotta give this one a revisit. Grabbed the ACO Ultimate Edition last year when that game launched, been curious about this remaster since.

AC Revelations is where I kind of fell off of AC -- it went from being one of my favorite gaming franchises through Brotherhood, but when Revelations came out, I remember kinda being "off the bandwagon," so to speak. The game failed to capture me as strongly as AC2 and Brotherhood in particularly did.

When AC3 came out, I still picked it up and gave it a try, and in fact I had quite a lot of hope riding on it since AC Brotherhood and Revelations felt more iterative and AC3 kinda promised to be a full step forward for the franchise. Ultimately, I remember feeling pretty dang lukewarm toward 3 to an ultimately disappointed reception, and I gave it about 10 hours of my time before coming to that conclusion and putting it -- and all subsequent AC releases up until Syndicate -- to rest. As I type this out, though, I do remember getting Black Flag as one of my PS4 launch games, but I'm of the common opinion that that game was actually held back by having to be an AC game and not just a straight pirate game -- there were many things about Black Flag I liked, but having to tie into the AC mythos felt like it held it back from being exceptional.

Came back with Syndicate and quite enjoyed that game, and then the overhaul to Origins and Odyssey has proven to be pretty great for me.

I'm not banking my interest in the franchise on my ability to get into AC3 Remastered -- I still think Origins and Odyssey have proven to me personally that the series warrants my attention again. But I did always wonder if I could come around to appreciating AC3 if I ever revisited it. I still perceive myself as having something of a soft spot for classic AC (and I felt that that appreciation was evoked when I played Syndicate), so I wonder with some quality of life changes and better performance if AC3 might actually win me over. As a player at this point, knowing that AC never really takes off with its modern storyline and willing to kind of exclude it from my ongoing evaluation of the series, I also feel as if I can set aside that aspect of AC3 now as well, whereas upon release it was fresh and frustrating and someone who had been a fan from the beginning.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I remember the game feeling like an unfinished, glitchy mess on release. I assume this version is much better?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
amWU9eD.gif
Odyssey is definitely a better experience, but this gif is proof that the combat animations somehow got worse upon each entry

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Game crashed the shit out of my Xbox today. Also was disappointing that as soon as I entered the Wilderness for the 1st time the frame rate starts chugging, just like last gen. Very disappointing to see. The environments look beautiful but the frame rate and faces need work.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It's weird that the ACO Gold Edition has already been cheaper than what this is retailing for

I guess I'll see which one hits $30 or less first after III is patched

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Odyssey is definitely a better experience, but this gif is proof that the combat animations somehow got worse upon each entry

With Origins they completely changed their combat animation system, it went from having these cool canned death animations to have generic looking striking (with no real reactions by the npc's) and then having like 2-3 TOPS death animations that are no where near as complicated and just barebones loking, and a lot of times the enemies aren't even in the correct "spot" for the animation, or worse you do them (using a special move) and the npc just gets back up like that giant ass spear you just rammed through his stomach meant nothing, it's quite jarring.

AC3 was, imo, the epitome of the series in terms of combat animations, mainly because of how varied the animations were, the sheer amount of weapon specific animations they had, and then the ample use of multi-kills where you had animations that were chained and blended into multiple enemies, I really really wish they'd do a new game with that kind of animation detail, all of that was lost when they went to origins, now you have just 2-3 different kill animations and that's that.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
With Origins they completely changed their combat animation system, it went from having these cool canned death animations to have generic looking striking (with no real reactions by the npc's) and then having like 2-3 TOPS death animations that are no where near as complicated and just barebones loking, and a lot of times the enemies aren't even in the correct "spot" for the animation, or worse you do them (using a special move) and the npc just gets back up like that giant ass spear you just rammed through his stomach meant nothing, it's quite jarring.

AC3 was, imo, the epitome of the series in terms of combat animations, mainly because of how varied the animations were, the sheer amount of weapon specific animations they had, and then the ample use of multi-kills where you had animations that were chained and blended into multiple enemies, I really really wish they'd do a new game with that kind of animation detail, all of that was lost when they went to origins, now you have just 2-3 different kill animations and that's that.

Apparently this new direction is what people want! Smh..
The series used to be something amazing. Never got the hate for its combat

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
anyone have any issues with the game straight up getting stuck and frozen in a cutscene? i'm chasing after the woman in the forest and as soon as the wolf gets shot it straight up goes movie record scratch moment and full on freezes, i can still hear the birds and stuff but closing the application makes my ps4 go blackscreen for a couple seconds before the report function pops up

wBENDERw

Oct 27, 2017
oooh ima double dip got the ps4 version from season pass for odessey

getting the switch too

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the game feeling like an unfinished, glitchy mess on release. I assume this version is much better?
It still feels a bit glitchy. I think most people who play it for more than a few hours are going to encounter some kind of glitch, whether that be a crash or some kind of visual weirdness. It's better than the original release though, at least up until sequence 6.

So now that this game is out can you switch weapons on the fly in combat or no?
Aside from the quick-assign weapons on the d-pad, weapon switching now works like this: you hold R1, a weapon swap menu appears as an overlay on the screen and the game pauses (and remains visible). You swap weapons with the left stick and tools with the right stick. The game doesn't need to load in or out of that menu so swapping is nearly instant. It is a big improvement on the original.

Apparently this new direction is what people want! Smh..
The series used to be something amazing. Never got the hate for its combat
I'm mostly okay with old-school AC combat, and I think most of the hate was a misunderstanding of what AC was meant to be. However, it did make Ubisoft's game design job much more difficult - from the original game right though to Syndicate, combat wasn't any sort of challenge so the game's designers had to find all sorts of ways to stop you just walking to the end of a mission and killing everyone effortlessly. That was part of the reason why so many missions in older AC games had instant-fail conditions on detection. There were missions where that worked okay, or even quite well, but it also resulted in some of the most frustrating moments in the series.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Forgot about the 5+ hour "tutorial" but remembering how much I liked the game - so much simpler than ACOs. And those potato faces and creepy eyes..

Forgot the parry/kill where I can take down 15 redcoats without taking much damage..

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Nah
1hkw4CQ.gif

it went from having these cool canned death animations to have generic looking striking (with no real reactions by the npc's) and then having like 2-3 TOPS death animations that are no where near as complicated and just barebones loking, and a lot of times the enemies aren't even in the correct "spot" for the animation
Hell nah
WtLeRDv.gif

m6gBSML.gif

Unrelated to combat but still proof that AC is an animation showcase:
CHNh9DX.gif

Uyoy6Qp.gif

DT3lKdr.gif

They traded animation quality to give the player much more control than you had before.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Ezio Collection and this just remind me how much I miss the old formula. While others were talking about series burnout from the yearly releases, I was there day one for all of them. After Black Flag it all went downhill.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Oh yeah – after coming off couple of weeks playing ACO – I realized the hard way falling damage is back and climbing down buildings isn't as fluid as it is now and you can fuck up the haystack dive and desync….

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about a pretty ridiculous sequence break early on in the original version of AC3.

I never heard anyone else talk about this, but pretty early on in AC3, I think at chapter 7, when kid Connor is leaving his village for the first time, you can actually turn around and explore the entire wilderness region, and liberate redcoat camps long before you're supposed to. It even involves kid Connor doing lockpicking animations that were clearly designed for adult Connor.

Did they patch that up in the remaster?

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
I have a question about a pretty ridiculous sequence break early on in the original version of AC3.

I never heard anyone else talk about this, but pretty early on in AC3, I think at chapter 7, when kid Connor is leaving his village for the first time, you can actually turn around and explore the entire wilderness region, and liberate redcoat camps long before you're supposed to. It even involves kid Connor doing lockpicking animations that were clearly designed for adult Connor.

Sequence 5 maybe? When he's off to the Homestead? Nah I've been running around the Frontier doing all the collectibles haha

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not aware of the specifics of this sequence break, but I did try to leave the valley early on and ran into the standard Animus memory-wall. So in general there is a mechanism there to block you from leaving. I didn't try try very much to get past that, so if the sequence break involves some special route then possibly it's still there, but if it just involved walking away then they appear to have fixed that so it doesn't happen.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Ezio Collection and this just remind me how much I miss the old formula. While others were talking about series burnout from the yearly releases, I was there day one for all of them. After Black Flag it all went downhill.

2014 was overkill imo.
They went crazy and put out Rogue, Unity, Freedom Cry and Liberation HD in 2014.
Didn't help that Syndicate leaked while Unity was a mess.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played through the first two sequences and just no thanks. Gameplay, combat, camera, controls, etc. were bad to me and not enjoyable at all. Add in a bug where early on, you have to shoot enemies on the roof and it never registered. Had to restart the game from the halfway checkpoint. I can see where Black Flag refined and evolved all the gameplay stuff that was in AC III. Shame that I didn't enjoy the combat and gameplay because I liked the story and characters, at least through two sequences. Anyway, game is done and uninstalled. Thankfully, it was free since I bought the Gold Edition of Odyssey. Speaking of ACO, I picked it back up for $16 GCU at Best Buy and will play through the first expansion this coming weekend as I traded in the original copy since I wasn't planning on playing the expansions until the summer when both were completed and the game itself would have been a rental but since im just wasting time until Days Gone, I figured for $16, why not? For those who will stick with AC III to the end, I hope you all enjoy it. :)

I miss very little of the old formula. The mini-map would probably be what I miss the most. I loved Black Flag and Rogue, was disappointed with Unity even though it was still a good 7.0/10 game. Syndicate was a great 8.0/10 game that I enjoyed a lot more than Unity but for me, Origins/Odyssey are right behind Black Flag/Rogue for me. Anything before Black Flag, like stated above with AC III, just not into or never played. AC 2 was the most but I quit it halfway through the story sequences. For me, once I play a newer game in a franchise/series like I did with AC when I started with Black Flag, it's extremely difficult if not impossible for me not to look at those old games as simply being old, outdated and obsolete. But of course, that's just me.

My far bigger issues and concerns is with Far Cry 5 and New Dawn but that's a discussion for another day.

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not aware of the specifics of this sequence break, but I did try to leave the valley early on and ran into the standard Animus memory-wall. So in general there is a mechanism there to block you from leaving. I didn't try try very much to get past that, so if the sequence break involves some special route then possibly it's still there, but if it just involved walking away then they appear to have fixed that so it doesn't happen.

In the original PC version I just remember there being a massive gap in that Animus wall.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Nah
1hkw4CQ.gif

Hell nah
WtLeRDv.gif

m6gBSML.gif

Unrelated to combat but still proof that AC is an animation showcase:
CHNh9DX.gif

Uyoy6Qp.gif

DT3lKdr.gif

They traded animation quality to give the player much more control than you had before.

You literally see the same kill animations for your specific weapon type over..and over....and over, there's literally no variety compared to AC3 or the older games pre-origins, it's a drastic reduction and I don't see how you can't see that.

It has NOTHING to do with giving you "more control" they simply have less variety in the kill animations (which are still in Origins and Odyssey), let alone the utter lack of any kill animations for multi-enemies together. The game could still halve it's "new" combat system, but still have a huge variety of kill animations that cycle randomly between each other when you land the killing blow on an enemy, or have varying animations for your special abilities you unlock instead of just re-using one animation over and over, like change it up depending on the distance you are using it from, the area you're hitting someone, enemy type, etc, there's a TON of room for them to still have a huge variety in animation, but they just don't anymore.

The "control" they give you in Origins (and Odyssey) is literally bare bones, the most casual and easiest melee combat I've played this gen, no where near the depth of a game like Dark Souls/Bloodborne, or even God of War in terms of offering you choices in how you are fighting enemies or your attacks.

AC3 and the other older AC games felt like they had literally 50+ combat animations and they were constantly changing, then you threw in weapon specific moves, multi-kill moves, and the variety increased even more. I'd be surprised if Origins/Odyssey had even 1/5th the amount of combat moves, including both kill animations and your combat abilities you unlock.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You literally see the same kill animations for your specific weapon type over..and over....and over, there's literally no variety compared to AC3 or the older games pre-origins, it's a drastic reduction and I don't see how you can't see that.

It has NOTHING to do with giving you "more control" they simply have less variety in the kill animations (which are still in Origins and Odyssey), let alone the utter lack of any kill animations for multi-enemies together. The game could still halve it's "new" combat system, but still have a huge variety of kill animations that cycle randomly between each other when you land the killing blow on an enemy, or have varying animations for your special abilities you unlock instead of just re-using one animation over and over, like change it up depending on the distance you are using it from, the area you're hitting someone, enemy type, etc, there's a TON of room for them to still have a huge variety in animation, but they just don't anymore.
Budget and time how do they work? If you have 7 weapon types and each one has unique movesets and a game design which dictates that the player only sees kill animation as an indication that a conflict is over, you aren't gonna have your team making 1 million kill anims.

The "control" they give you in Origins (and Odyssey) is literally bare bones
What does that say about the past AC games which feel a LOT worse by comparison? Playing AC3 in this day and age definitely shows how dated their design was and I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise unless how cinematic a game is is the metric for quality.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Budget and time how do they work? If you have 7 weapon types and each one has unique movesets and a game design which dictates that the player only sees kill animation as an indication that a conflict is over, you aren't gonna have your team making 1 million kill anims.

What does that say about the past AC games which feel a LOT worse by comparison? Playing AC3 in this day and age definitely shows how dated their design was and I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise unless how cinematic a game is is the metric for quality.

In the other AC games the weapons all had unique animation sets as well, I mean in AC3 for instance you have axes, tomahawks, swords, pistols, rifles, clubs, bow and arrow, not to mention your tools, like the rope dart that you could use from trees to setup ambushes and pull enemies up with.

in AC Origins/Odyssey they also drastically reduced the stealth aspect and pushed the games more towards just combat. Stealth is pretty much reduced to "hide in tall grass" now, no more blending in with people and other things to use stealth.

As far as combat? I agree with you, I'm not saying the old AC games were amazing in terms of the controls or the way combat worked, it LOOKED amazing but it too, like Origins and Odyssey, is fairly "simple" in terms of combat and how you interact with enemies.

I'm just saying ithe trade off, of losing sooo much of the awesome animation variety all we got was a really poor simple combat system that doesn't offer much depth compared to what we lost, and even then the things we lost could "still" be done.

A lot of those cool animations? They were built upon from previous AC games and shared between all the studios, much like how AC: Origins shares a lot of it's tech with AC: Odyssey. With each new game they'd add some animations for combat here and there, tweak things, add new animations for things that needed it (like the rifles, multi-kills, etc) and still keep the animations from the previous games. It'd be nice if the new games they worked on building more kill animations and then building upon those more and more instead of keeping just a handful per game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The old Assassin's Creed games made you feel like a master assassin when you could pull off these awesome multikill combo chains. The new ones are kind of generic hack and slash that doesn't really feel in any way special or notable.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I never understood the criticism of Connor , I feel like people were just coming down from the high of Ezio (don't get me wrong, he is one of my favorite characters but still..) and many were expecting him to be "Ezio-like" charming, cracking jokes etc., but their from two completely different backgrounds

Ezio was a privileged Italian playboy and Connor was a minority of an oppressed people, you can't fault him for being stoic and not flirting around like Ezio

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
In the other AC games the weapons all had unique animation sets as well, I mean in AC3 for instance you have axes, tomahawks, swords, pistols, rifles, clubs, bow and arrow, not to mention your tools, like the rope dart that you could use from trees to setup ambushes and pull enemies up with.
And they were all based on contextual mechanics instead of player agency.

in AC Origins/Odyssey they also drastically reduced the stealth aspect and pushed the games more towards just combat. Stealth is pretty much reduced to "hide in tall grass" now, no more blending in with people and other things to use stealth.
This is quite literally not true. The stealth has quite literally never been as complex as it is in the last 2 AC games. Form the systemic AI to the systemic elements the player can take advantage of and the amount of agency they have, you're being blatantly disingenuous.

As far as combat? I agree with you, I'm not saying the old AC games were amazing in terms of the controls or the way combat worked, it LOOKED amazing but it too, like Origins and Odyssey, is fairly "simple" in terms of combat and how you interact with enemies.
The fact that the games now supports multiple playstyles and don't rely on contextual mechanics makes the games a lot more complex and fun to play.

'm just saying ithe trade off, of losing sooo much of the awesome animation variety all we got was a really poor simple combat system that doesn't offer much depth compared to what we lost, and even then the things we lost could "still" be done.
A lot of those cool animations? They were built upon from previous AC games and shared between all the studios, much like how AC: Origins shares a lot of it's tech with AC: Odyssey. With each new game they'd add some animations for combat here and there, tweak things, add new animations for things that needed it (like the rifles, multi-kills, etc) and still keep the animations from the previous games. It'd be nice if the new games they worked on building more kill animations and then building upon those more and more instead of keeping just a handful per game.
I agree with their decision to focus on how it plays instead of how pretty and cinematic it can look. Especially considering that they still release games with some of the best animation quality in the industry which says something considering the scale.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood the criticism of Connor , I feel like people were just coming down from the high of Ezio (don't get me wrong, he is one of my favorite characters but still..) and many were expecting him to be "Ezio-like" charming, cracking jokes etc., but their from two completely different backgrounds

Ezio was a privileged Italian playboy and Connor was a minority of an oppressed people, you can't fault him for being stoic and not flirting around like Ezio
I feel Connor lacked the character development arc one would come to expect from the previous AC games.

Altair actually came full-circle with his in the first installment, learning from his past mistakes and was able to reflect on his arrogance, which in turn also reflected on him unveiling the secrets of his (former) master. Connor, meanwhile, felt like killing his dad and Charles Lee was the end-all-be-all solution to his peoples plight, but he was blindsided by his anger and arrogance and never got to reflect on it. (Or maybe he only realized too late. I know there was a narrated epilogue of Connor that shows that he eventually learned from his missteps, but it was cut from the final game.)

It would've been nice to see a second installment featuring Connor in a light that shows he has matured as an Assassin.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I feel Connor lacked the character development arc one would come to expect from the previous AC games.

Altair actually came full-circle with his in the first installment, learning from his past mistakes and was able to reflect on his arrogance, which in turn also reflected on him unveiling the secrets of his (former) master. Connor, meanwhile, felt like killing his dad and Charles Lee was the end-all-be-all solution to his peoples plight, but he was blindsided by his anger and arrogance and never got to reflect on it. (Or maybe he only realized too late. I know there was a narrated epilogue of Connor that shows that he eventually learned from his missteps, but it was cut from the final game.)

It would've been nice to see a second installment featuring Connor in a light that shows he has matured as an Assassin.
Oh i agree, i don't think he is that great of a character and I think his character development was quite poor indeed, but i was more referring to the criticisms of Connor not being "Ezio-like"

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Homestead missions......

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I also think the pacing of the game damaged AC3

Oh, and about that cut epilogue:

It makes me wonder, why did they even cut this out?
Oh i agree, i don't think he is that great of a character and I think his character development was quite poor indeed, but i was more referring to the criticisms of Connor not being "Ezio-like"
Actually gameplaywise, I liked Connor's movement. Treehopping was tricky but felt good, and felt like the pinnacle of the systems set in place by ACII at its time. I also like that Connor also has a stealth ranged weapon (bow) as opposed to Ezio's louder solution.

Last edited:

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
And they were all based on contextual mechanics instead of player agency.

So you're saying they can't do more kill animations per weapon type or abilitly type because those animations in the older games were contextual and not always directly the players choice?

This is quite literally not true. The stealth has quite literally never been as complex as it is in the last 2 AC games. Form the systemic AI to the systemic elements the player can take advantage of and the amount of agency they have, you're being blatantly disingenuous.

Blending in with crowds? Gone
Sitting on Benches/boxes/hanging out at the bar, etc? Gone
Rope darts? Gone
Berserk Darts? Gone
Ability to assassinate npc's that you get close enough to? Gone (even if you spec full assassin in Odyssey there are enemies you simply can NOT assassinate, I encountered this almost every time going up against forts there were people (usually the higher tier named enemies) that you just couldn't assassinate, even if you were specced full assassin and within your lv range)

The fact that the games now supports multiple playstyles and don't rely on contextual mechanics makes the games a lot more complex and fun to play.

I'd like to play stealthy, use crowds like before, be able to find my target for the mission and not have to engage in full on combat. The combat in Origins/Odyssey is really bare bones, and odyssey even took away shields so you can't even block anymore, that's going in the wrong direction imo, they need to flesh out more playstyles, have MORE Skills, and most of all have more enemies that have unique movesets and things to challenge you for parrying, blocking, dodging, and other ways like Dark Souls types of games do.

I agree with their decision to focus on how it plays instead of how pretty and cinematic it can look. Especially considering that they still release games with some of the best animation quality in the industry which says something considering the scale.

They can literally do both, there's nothing stopping them from having more variety in animations and skill animations instead of just reusing the same ones over and over.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So you're saying they can't do more kill animations per weapon type or abilitly type because those animations in the older games were contextual and not always directly the players choice?
I'm saying the scale of the game and deliberate design decisions dictate that there not be as many kill animations. As an example,
Before:every single kill=trigger unique kill animation
Now:Unique kill animation is triggered to signal that the battle is over

Blending in with crowds? Gone
Sitting on Benches/boxes/hanging out at the bar, etc? Gone
Rope darts? Gone
These weren't very well utilized elements. Especially not in AC3 in spite of it's attempt to expand on the mechanic away from very clearly marked groups of 4 npcs

Rope darts literally appeared in two games. And there are way more distraction mechanics available now which are much more flexible. As an example, the AI can be exploited via sound.

See above.

Ability to assassinate npc's that you get close enough to? Gone (even if you spec full assassin in Odyssey there are enemies you simply can NOT assassinate, I encountered this almost every time going up against forts there were people (usually the higher tier named enemies) that you just couldn't assassinate, even if you were specced full assassin and within your lv range)
If you spec full assassin you're fine. In fact they literally added more ways to maximize assassin damage. In fact,
I'd like to play stealthy, use crowds like before, be able to find my target for the mission and not have to engage in full on combat.
You can play stealthy, you just can't use crowds.

The combat in Origins/Odyssey is really bare bones, and odyssey even took away shields so you can't even block anymore
Parrying how does it work?

They can literally do both, there's nothing stopping them from having more variety in animations and skill animations instead of just reusing the same ones over and over.
Finite budget, time and gme design decisions.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I remember wishing this had ambient music playing when free-roaming.

Did they add that this time around??

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I will be very surprised if anything is done with the faces. It just seems a side effect of the new lighting engine instead of a bug. I think it would be a tremendous amount of work to redo all of the cutscenes.

Also, it isn't nearly as bad in motion as in stills. I'm deep into Sequence 6 at this point and I barely even notice it. Meanwhile the new lighting engine really makes the gameplay sections really shine.

Oct 27, 2017
I also think the pacing of the game damaged AC3

Oh, and about that cut epilogue:

It makes me wonder, why did they even cut this out?

Actually gameplaywise, I liked Connor's movement. Treehopping was tricky but felt good, and felt like the pinnacle of the systems set in place by ACII at its time. I also like that Connor also has a stealth ranged weapon (bow) as opposed to Ezio's louder solution.

This wasn't cut, it was an extra read scene from the audiobook that one guy added into his youtube "movie" of cutscenes.