• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
amWU9eD.gif

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot just how much I despised playing as him. The game is basically a miserable slog for the first three hours until you finally get to play as adult Connor and it becomes one of the best Assassin's Creed games.

I'm the opposite. The Haytham stuff is interesting and fun and once you switch to Connor it becomes a slog and one of the worst AC games. But even if they'd gone with one or the other, it's one of the worst by default because it's the one that ruined the controls, of course.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Small animation mistake here. Haytham doesn't have a pivot blade. Otherwise AC3 really did have some of the best animation blending from last gen.

wuw6zJt.gif

I definitely agree with that; the animations still hold up very well with today's standards in my opinion. I know this one is better suited to Connor's tomahawk, but just appreciating it. :P

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
For a time period I have zero interest in it's never been on sale for a low enough price. I only got Unity because I got it for I think $4.

Both of those games really fucked with the modern day and that is a crucial element of these games for me.
Spoiler tagging this just in case someone's going through the series for the first time and hasn't played the later games:

I won't defend how the two games handled the modern storyline's implementation, but I do think the story that Syndicate told was pretty decent. We finally got to see Galina a bit in a game, and there were some pretty good moments with the characters (namely Rebecca and Shaun, of course). Plus, those two finally got to put their skills to the test at the end. I also thought the moment where Shaun opened up about Desmond was touching. It's just a shame that Ubisoft kind of dropped everything that the game was building up to in favor of that fucking comic series and the crap we've gotten in Origins and Odyssey...

... Also, ugh, why the fuck haven't Shaun and Rebecca been in the last few games? :( I'm just making myself sad about the recent state of the series now. I'm gonna shut up now.

Last edited:

Haribokart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the buggiest games I have ever played.

My only AC experience to date is Origins and Odyssey (both of which I got 100% on) so this is incredibly difficult to play and get into. The story also makes NO sense to me.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the buggiest games I have ever played.

My only AC experience to date is Origins and Odyssey (both of which I got 100% on) so this is incredibly difficult to play and get into. The story also makes NO sense to me.
AC3 is the final part of a five-game arc, from back when the games had a heavy overarching narrative that carried from one game to the next in a meaningful way. Why Ubi tried to tie this to Odyssey confuses me, because it really is from a different era of the series in a lot of ways, and also because it really doesn't try to fill you in on a lot of the specifics from previous games, instead assuming (aside from the short opening scene) that you know things like who Desmond is and who this Lucy person they keep talking about was. At the time this game came out originally, those were things that people who had played at least some of the series were familiar with, but for anyone who jumped in afterwards, I can see why it would be confusing.

I'd recommend reading the in-game database entries to learn more about the story and the context of a lot of it.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Syndicate is easily one of the best AC games and I will forever miss the rope launcher.

It fixed all the bullshit from Unity. The story isn't super exciting but compared to Unity's absolutely horrendously stupid characters it's great.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The massive file size on PS4 (and X1 as well probably but I haven't checked) has me worried for the Switch version and the possibility of it having either a required download or crappy audio.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still disappointed the DLC wasn't titled The Madness of King George

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Syndicate is easily one of the best AC games and I will forever miss the rope launcher.

It fixed all the bullshit from Unity. The story isn't super exciting but compared to Unity's absolutely horrendously stupid characters it's great.

Good to hear because I am playing through Unity for my first time right now and its the worst AC game I have played.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone who allegedly worked on AC: Liberation Remastered posted this on the Digital Foundry video. Seems like the projects were handled separately due to running on different engines. Hopefully in a month or two once the remasters get some patches and the Switch version is available, we can get a comprehensive teardown of both games. They really did put a lot of work into these, and it's kinda thankless. I do notice that Liberation Remastered doesn't seem to have the facial lighting problems that AC3 Remastered does.
acliberationremastere3ak7b.jpg

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
For a time period I have zero interest in it's never been on sale for a low enough price. I only got Unity because I got it for I think $4.

Both of those games really fucked with the modern day and that is a crucial element of these games for me.
Syndicate is the only Assassin's Creed I just stopped playing

Geode

Oct 27, 2017

I have to agree. I almost skipped out on Syndicate because I thought Unity was so bad. I'm glad I bought it when it was on sale on Uplay because I enjoyed it a lot. It fixed the issues I had with Unity.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting sucked into it, again. Lighting is working for me more than it isn't. This was a really nice freebie with Odyssey Gold.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I'm really liking the story this time around tbh. Just disable as much of the HUD as you can (it's playable without minimap) and take it at literal face value, it's a very competently told through gameplay tale.

If it had been better visually directed, as in, say, RDR2 Style, it'd probably be a classic.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I got far enough to get to Haytham free roam, I miss Haytham :(

I might play some more later, as mentioned above getting this with the ACO season pass is a great bonus.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
I sunk a few more hours into it today. Got to Chapter 4 in the frontier and have been having a blast running around collecting everything. Say what you want about the faces but running around in the frontier with the new lighting is incredible. And the animations of Connor are still amazing to this day.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
On a superficial level, I'd be much more enthused getting into an Assassin's Creed game if they had free wheeling hit box based combat like Odyssey instead of Arkham Rhythm Fighting.

Oct 30, 2017
Where are you seeing bright white loading screens? For me any minor loading screens are mostly black (with a small loading icon), and reloads after desynchronisations are dark. Animus loading screens have white/grey sections, but aren't excessively bright.

All the ones in the prologue and sequence 1 were blinding white for me. Changed to non-offensive black ones once haytham got to Boston. My biggest complaint seems to have been fixed.

(Noticed this game wigs out when you resume it from system sleep. No in game sound until you restart the game.)