• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nuggetgamer52

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, getting less excited the more screenshots I see. Although I had a feeling this remaster wouldn't be exactly a top tier effort so to speak.

senpai

Oct 28, 2017
Ubisoft , who cares this game ? one of the worst in AC series and you did remaster version...Congrats...

What if you did Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Remastered ?

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Ubisoft , who cares this game ? one of the worst in AC series and you did remaster version...Congrats...

What if you did Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Remastered ?

For me and others it's one of the best.

Was getting tired of AC and AC3 was like a breath of fresh air to the series, new setting, seasonal changes, the best combat (even including AC4, unity, Revelations, etc) naval combat, hunting, it just added a lot to the series many of which have stuck with it since then and are found in Origins/Odyssey.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I can take some less detailed faces for everything else that's better. Good Lord, the original is so washed out. I wish rogue got this level of polish, it still suffers a bit from the grey/fog overcast.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
doesn't look incredible or anything but man did it ever need an overhaul. getting Twilight Princess vibes from that original footage with all the grays and browns

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Where is the light supposed to be coming from in the original? They're in a cave. WIth a single light source. Yet everything is magically lit by some unseen light source. I'd single out the cave in the opening as a great example of the lighting problems in the original version. You've got people standing in caves that should be pitch black, or standing inside building interiors with sunshine outside, and there's lighting and shadowing coming from... nowhere at all. On the flipside, there is some strange lighting in places in the remaster, such as when they open the back of the van.
That's a good point actually. It just sucks when you're trying to make out what's happening and the scene isn't neatly illuminated to show everything. I'll probably turn off HDR so I'm not running into walls in the cave or underground tunnels or wherever.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Can`t wait to dive in but still need to play Brotherhood and Revelations.

The faces and eyes look weird. It's like the shaders are broken. Reminding me of Andromeda before they patched it.

I hope they fix it. It's really jarring.

P6bPH7M.jpg

Reminds me of the other AC Remasters:

71963.jpg

LnhjQ7P.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 50761

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I was originally pretty hyped as it's the only one I haven't played but I wanted it on Switch and it's not out until May, doubt it'll still be on my radar by then.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Ezio collection have this problem with lighting and character models too?
The Ezio collection is a bit of a strange one. There were big lighting changes, which resulted in ACII especially having a very different tone (and shadows in Venice were all kinds of fucked up). Some people did prefer the much lower bloom levels though, and some of the other things that got criticised were in the original games (and again, especially ACII). So overall what you got with the Ezio trilogy (compared to original console releases) was a higher resolution, a more much stable framerate, no tearing, and modified lighting that really messed with the look of the games. Plus all the DLC rammed in - the second DLC sequence for ACII is abysmal and in the Ezio trilogy is unskippable so that's a big downside that isn't commonly mentioned..

What are the chances this runs well on the Switch?
Not looking good from the short trailer we've seen so far. People looking forward to this game on Switch may still hope that the game gets polished up a bit before release but right now I wouldn't be very optimistic. Although it'd be funny if the Switch kept the original graphics and people ended up thinking it looked better than the remaster.

Oct 30, 2017
Yeesh. It looks like one of those Fan Re-Textures from Nexus Mods that bump up the sharpness and contrast of the textures to de-blur them then put a ridiculous amount of bloom and even more contrast yung ReShade. Which then kills the consistent art direction of the game. Shame.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Despite the negativity in the thread to some of the faces, I do think the lighting and such look better. I'll try to GIF some of the game if I can. :)

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of videos are out on IGN. Everything except the faces look so much better in the remaster. The IQ is super clean.

darthkarki

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
It seems like moving to PBR might have been a bad idea. I think it needs a lot more effort put into the assets to make them work well with the new lighting system. I'm excited for the new outfits and gameplay changes, but I think the original actually still looks quite good so I'm disappointed the remaster looks worse in a lot of situations.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Odyssey season pass is currently on sale for £28. Wondering whether that would be cheaper than getting this standalone.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The Odyssey season pass is currently on sale for £28. Wondering whether that would be cheaper than getting this standalone.
The price on the Switch eShop seems to be UK£30 (and somehow is €40 for Eurozone countries). Retail prices appear similar. If you can get the season pass for UK£28 then yeah, it seems cheaper than the standalone version.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

darthkarki

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
Man, the more I see of the remaster the more I'm disappointed in the visuals. Here are a couple high-quality YouTube videos if anyone wants to compare:

Here are a couple screengrabs from those. Original is first, followed by the remaster:

Thankfully in gameplay it's not as bad, but this is a story-heavy game, and there are a lot of cutscenes. I feel like the atmosphere and ambiance has been ruined. Weirdly, the remaster looks far more "video-gamey".

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Man, the more I see of the remaster the more I'm disappointed in the visuals. Here are a couple high-quality YouTube videos if anyone wants to compare:

Here are a couple screengrabs from those. Original is first, followed by the remaster:

Thankfully in gameplay it's not as bad, but this is a story-heavy game, and there are a lot of cutscenes. I feel like the atmosphere and ambiance has been ruined. Weirdly, the remaster looks far more "video-gamey".

That looks so bad. Why would they remove depth of field? And the lighting is just so strange. Look at the table in the original the cups and bottle on the table cast shadows and look like they're actually there. In the remaster there's no shadows and a lack of depth it looks like they could be photoshopped in there.

Last edited:

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
for anyone that was interested in getting the game physically, the EU version has both games on disc, no voucher code for AC3: Liberation in the box, no idea if there's any patches yet as i haven't put the disc in to install it

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Skipped this back in the day but willing to give this version a go, it's the only mainline game I've not played, and I love 4 and Rogue, so it can't be that bad, right?

Oct 25, 2017
Judging from some gameplay the colours and environments look gorgeous, however the new faces look blurry and the hair looks worse. Almost like some high resolution filter was added to show textures you werent supposed to see on the hair originally. It was very noticeable in the official Ubi video and in early side by sides.

Bndadm

Oct 29, 2017
for anyone that was interested in getting the game physically, the EU version has both games on disc, no voucher code for AC3: Liberation in the box, no idea if there's any patches yet as i haven't put the disc in to install it

Wait the US version has a download code only for Liberation? If that is true I am returning my preorder and getting the EU version.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Bummer about the faces, but most everything else looks waaaay better.

Unfortunately, like most Assassin's Creed threads, a few screengrabs of the wonky lighting on the faces is going to derail this thread into endless LOL UBI ad nauseum.

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
I'm in Australia and am home from work sick. But the game doesn't unlock until 9am UTC? So, that means I can't play until some time tonight? That also, is balls.