• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It was long time since i did Assassin's Creed marathon (aka Creedathon) and i missed old school AC formula so i decided to play all AC games from AC1 to Odyssey throughout this year. So decided to share my progress here on Era. Don't worry i won't post something every few hours, i will usually post my mini impressions after each game. But i will make exception for this first post.

I started playing AC1 few days ago and i reached Memory 3 where i did first assassination. Because AC1 is only mainline AC game that i played and that i didn't finish it 100% i will do it this time. So far i did full sync for main memory missions but not additional stuff like flags. And i must say that i appreciate AC1 more now when i took time to do all investigation missions and read all memory entries. Investigations before assassination was great concept that was ruined with repeating tasks (even thou there is a lot more variety than i remember). Whole process of getting to know your target is awesome and with few tweaks and improvements it could be great. Unfortunately Ubisoft abandoned it up until Unity and Syndicate where they brought it back in simplified form of special assassination opportunities. And they did something that kinda looks like that in Origins but not really the same.

Second thing that i noticed is that since AC1 they nailed atmosphere of the cities. Walking around Damascus and Acre is still amazing experience. I can't say the same for Kingdom (place between cities) unfortunately.

Other interesting thing in AC1 is combat. Mechanically it has almost the same elements like AC Origins. You have Dodge, Deflect, Counter, Light Attack, Heavy Attack, Combo Attack,Grab, Counter Grab. But big difference is enemy AI. Even though you can do significant amount of movement combinations AI is too simple for them so you end up using same moves just to be don with fight.

There are annoying thing too like mandatory (if you don't want to fight) slow blend walk in Kingdom section, save citizen missions are literally the same, even some dialogue repeats, flags...

But i still like this game and big reason are dialogues with Al Mulaim and targets after you assassinate them. It is much better than in some later games. And another interesting thing regarding missions is that you can start target investigation as soon as you enter the town without visiting Assassin's Bureau first and you can do them in any order (also only 2 are mandatory for getting green light for assassination). I also like how AC1 had something between compass and mini-map.

That is it for now. Also here are few screenshots :D

x6R3pQ4.jpg

SFgL2L9.jpg

SyKFYgl.jpg

07V0Kun.jpg

9XSJeg3.jpg

tCPUqGo.jpg

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I've been thinking about doing a run through of the classic AC games as the new style isn't really enjoyable to me

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Out of the all of the Assassins creed game only the first one made me feel like you know as an actual assassin.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Something I miss in later games was the ambiguity the original AC displayed with the Templars. They weren't fully evil for the sake of it, and the assassins weren't exactly saints either.

Then we got the Ezio games and those shades of gray were replaced with a fully black and white narrative.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Something I miss in later games was the ambiguity the original AC displayed with the Templars. They weren't fully evil for the sake of it, and the assassins weren't exactly saints either.

Then we got the Ezio games and those shades of gray were replaced with a fully black and white narrative.
That wasn't removed in the series. 3, Rogue, Unity and Odyssey all gave the Templars an arc.

Elginer

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Massive AC fan. I've played everyone and it's true, I miss the mystery of the first AC title. It's something that has not been handled no where as well as it could or the grayness of both sides.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved the fuck out of AC1. Altair was a man's man, and the way they wrapped his story up in
Revelation, the same way with old ass Ezio
was top baller storytelling.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I think the settings, environmental parkour playground and the combat elevate this to be the best Assassin's Creed game of them all.

To me the original is still the best.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
It's probably one of my favorite franchises but only for the historical tourism.
Actually playing the games is never as much fun as just being in the enviroments,although things got much better with Origins.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The good thing I remember about AC1 is dialogue. Al Mualim loved to talk in faux-philosophy and it was great. You could believe people killed for that man.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It is also nice to go back to time where there wasn't any kind of looting. You only get throwing knives from enemies.

Oct 27, 2017
Even in Odyssey the people that pursued you, you found a way to deal with them. But in AC1 the alarms were really a threat, people were after you. And the assassination targets were quite unique, not just the "kill this one because they're on the list of 'The Bad Guys' ." Being injected into historical events was also pretty neat, a magic the series tried to recapture with subsequent games - some going better than others.

I still remember the ending of that (now pretty old) videogame The Last Express, and how its fiction coincided with history -
the breakout of WWI
, that's the kind of feeling the late-game of AC1 gave me.

The storytelling in AC1 did a lot with a little, and as someone else mentioned Al Mualim had a larger-than-life presence for the amount of screen time he was given.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
AC1 is a great candidate for a remaster. The dialogue, atmosphere, and structure is all there, I think they just need to improve the combat and rework the investigation missions. Speaking of that, I love how before each assassination, you do smaller investigation missions to get hints on how to identify your target, what their schedule is like, any weaknesses in the fortifications, etc. Made me feel like a proper assassin doing his homework, and made each assassination feel more unique, personal, and satisfying. AC1 remastered could be a real gem.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AC1 was such a special game. Yeah it had its flaws, but there was just something about it that oozed personality.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In many ways, the first AC is still the most atmospheric and coolest one. Jesper Kyd and Patrice Desiletes.
In other ways you could see it was a first stab at it, the repetition was not ideal. But yeah I liked it back in the day. Those screens are nostalgia meth.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AC1 was indeed good for the time it came out, but do y'all remember how insanely repetitive and sloggy the core meat of the game was? Not that the current iteration of the series is any better in that regard.

- Kill Captain 1/2
- Find treasure 2/2
- War Supplies 1/3

Every. Goddamn. Point of interest.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original assassin's creed blew me away visually, but then after one hour I realized I had experienced all the game had to offer with its repetitive mission structure

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I actually just started a replay of the whole series about a week ago, I finished AC1 and while yes the targets and atmosphere of the game are nailed excellently from a story POV my good is the actual game a slog to play I honestly did not enjoy the feeling of playing it all. I actually think that's why they haven't done a remaster of it yet, I think it's in need more of a resident evil 2 style ground up remake. I adore the series but it really wasn't until 2 where it became fun to play in my opinion.

Nov 14, 2017

I disagree, both AC3 and AC Rogue show that ambiguity for example. Specially Rogue.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Even in Odyssey the people that pursued you, you found a way to deal with them. But in AC1 the alarms were really a threat, people were after you. And the assassination targets were quite unique, not just the "kill this one because they're on the list of 'The Bad Guys' ." Being injected into historical events was also pretty neat, a magic the series tried to recapture with subsequent games - some going better than others.

I still remember the ending of that (now pretty old) videogame The Last Express, and how its fiction coincided with history -
the breakout of WWI
, that's the kind of feeling the late-game of AC1 gave me.

The storytelling in AC1 did a lot with a little, and as someone else mentioned Al Mualim had a larger-than-life presence for the amount of screen time he was given.

But you could make things less repetitive because you don't need to finish all investigations.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I am 2/3 done with he game, reached Memory block 5 (6/9 targets killed) and i must say that i still enjoy playing the game. As i said this time i am doing all investigation missions before assassination and i still think that it was great concept that they never fully realized. You get a lot of information but in most cases you can't do anything with them. For example you get guard placement map but in most cases guards are covering every corner. So you more less just get to know where they are in advance but you can't avoid them. But you also get some useful info like emergency escape route. Imagine if these were made as proper quests with deeper story and mechanics?

Also i unlocked more combat moves and yeah core mechanics are really similar to ones in Origins/Odyssey but again not fully realized. For example you have dodge option but in most cases you can't attack enemy after dodge and things like that. So you end up countering in most cases (because combo attack is really hard to pull).

Atmosphere i s still great and i think that Acre is my favorite city out of those 3. Also after you reach Memory block 3 they realized how stupid Kingdom part is so you get option to fast travel to the cities, and that is big plus. Also after mission you get option to fast travel back to Masyaf.

QVAfONV.jpg

R0Yn1Md.jpg

tT7hB9R.jpg

TleIwiX.jpg

77JZol8.jpg

hErVQRz.jpg

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
I think I'm in memory block 5, and when the option to fast travel popped up I definitely breathed a sigh of relief. I love the assassinations themselves, but everything around them just feels so unfinished. It felt like that back when the game came out, and it feels even more so like that now. I'm enjoying the story, but I can't wait to get to AC2.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I've always felt Altair's model has aged greatly not counting his face. He could pass for a modern character.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
AC1 is the only AC mainline game I haven't completed. I started with AC2 and never looked back until the game got the XB1X Support. I couldn't continue playing AC1 since every assassination mission just got more and more repetitive. But I do think the plot is really good.

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
Will always have a soft spot for AC1 as it was one of the only games I owned back in the day and I played it like 10 times repeatedly in one year.

Acre is indeed the best city, and jumping off the big church is dope as hell. Also the mission, I think it's Robert de Sable, is one of the best in the game, and shows where the idea for Unity's mission design evolved from.

Oct 27, 2017
I also remember being completely blown away by his walking animation. Theres still something scary about how he slowly walks like a psycho path.
Especially when you use the hiding mechanic.
Connor's is probably my favorite. Even Ezio's first outfit was fine, it just got too cluttered by the time Revelations rolls around.
Yeah, it seemed like they wanted to outdo each game which sent them on a very weird path. The worst one would be Jacob's. it was as if they were afraid of removing the hood but still wanted to make him wear a top hat even though the "assassin" outfits would have looked really weird back then.

God I wish Ubisoft would remaster this game and maybe even add the PSP game like in AC3 Remastered.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm in memory block 5, and when the option to fast travel popped up I definitely breathed a sigh of relief. I love the assassinations themselves, but everything around them just feels so unfinished. It felt like that back when the game came out, and it feels even more so like that now. I'm enjoying the story, but I can't wait to get to AC2.

Yeah it feels like they had great ideas but they had to ship game so they cut the corners. Also it was next gen game at the time so working with new hardware made things more complicated.

I've always felt Altair's model has aged greatly not counting his face. He could pass for a modern character.

Up until Origins and maybe you could even say Syndicate they cares a lot how silhouette of assassin looks. You could recognize most AC characters based on that. But with Origins and Odyssey that went out of the window, now you can run around in towel.

AC1 is the only AC mainline game I haven't completed. I started with AC2 and never looked back until the game got the XB1X Support. I couldn't continue playing AC1 since every assassination mission just got more and more repetitive. But I do think the plot is really good.

Actually I dropped AC1 few times before I finished it for the first time few years ago. And first time i finished it I did it in one sitting because I would drop it again if I pressed that exit button again XD But after I finished it I was kinda sad that I didn't play it properly (i just finished mandatory investigations before assassination). That is why I am going for 100% this time.

God I wish Ubisoft would remaster this game and maybe even add the PSP game like in AC3 Remastered.

AC1 needs proper remake not remaster. They could do amazing things with remake. Imagine RE2 level of remake.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it feels like they had great ideas but they had to ship game so they cut the corners. Also it was next gen game at the time so working with new hardware made things more complicated.

Up until Origins and maybe you could even say Syndicate they cares a lot how silhouette of assassin looks. You could recognize most AC characters based on that. But with Origins and Odyssey that went out of the window, now you can run around in towel.

Actually I dropped AC1 few times before I finished it for the first time few years ago. And first time i finished it I did it in one sitting because I would drop it again if I pressed that exit button again XD But after I finished it I was kinda sad that I didn't play it properly (i just finished mandatory investigations before assassination). That is why I am going for 100% this time.

AC1 needs proper remake not remaster. They could do amazing things with remake. Imagine RE2 level of remake.
I'd take that too if possible. I need them to revisit my boy Altair

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I miss the old AC...

AC1 still holds a special place in my heart. That repetition to me felt methodical. You obtained intel, you scouted, you understood, you built a plan to go in. Such a good game.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
But with Origins and Odyssey that went out of the window, now you can run around in towel.
I actually really love Bayek's outfit, both the hobo version the Hidden One Version (which has beaked hood and all, a first since Connor).

In fact I personally believe the character design got progressively worse and more flamboyant through the series with the exception of Unity which was quite tasteful in that regard. Evie Frye's outfit in particular is egregious and would have gotten her arrested. And don't get me started on Edward's three layers of heavy clothes in the Caribbean lol

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm quite disappointed in the direction the series took - it all went downhill after Black Flag.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, the first Assassin's Creed game was interesting in that it was essentially laser focused on the assassinations- It was the literally the whole game, taking out those nine guys. It did however, result in repetition (Ride to city, do 2 or 3 same minigames to investigate target, go to target, kill the guy and then freaking run to lose tail, rinse repeat (with the odd Desmond interlude between).

After that game, they all more or less become more free-wheeling open world adventure games where you will still an assassin by trade (and sometimes, even...not (Odyssey), but its hardly the focus anymore.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I finished AC1 story today, i did all memory blocks in Full Sync so only thing left to do now is to go and collect all flags and kill all templars. Now that i reminded myself how AC1 plays and looks i still stand with my opinion that they had right ideas that they never fully realized to date. Also because i did all investigations before assassinations this time (list time i only did mandatory 2/3 ones) i appreciate what they tried to do even more. But only one of the targets actually did all of those investigations worth. That one is in Memory Block 5 where you are going after Jubair al Hakim. If you do only mandatory 3 and you are not lucky enough to do 3 right ones you will end up guessing. But if you do all investigations you will know exactly where to find target. That was really awesome.

Now to talk about combat a bit. They also had right idea with combat too but execution wasn't there. Knowing the moves really helps and when you unlock new regions with new type of enemies you need to learn to read their attacks so you know tight way to counter it, because not every enemy has same counter move. This is most obvious during first phase of final boss battle (i still think that it is BS boss battle XD) where you need to use all of those moves you learned before. But i must say that i am disappointed with dodge. Main issue is that when you dodge attack enemy is not open for counter attack and when you attack him you get deflected. But in general i thing that they should have kept that combat system and improve enemy AI and moves instead of simplifying it for sequels.

But i really liked story and way it unfolds. I especially liked how it was written and all of those talks between Altair and targets and Altair and Al Mulaim. In my opinion only game that came close to that level of dialogue writing was Black Flag (there were some hints in Revelations) that were written by Darby McDevitt and his team.

In the end AC1 still holds special place in my heart. it was beginning of amazing franchise that i played growing up. It was bold and ambitious game for it's time that deserves proper remake.

I will now take small break and finish collecting flags in AC1 before i jump to AC2 and continue my odyssey through the series :D

LJHqH6A.jpg

rFuuuDw.jpg

GY63ELj.jpg

mUkVaBT.jpg

E3Glwq6.jpg

JFXByYN.jpg

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Ac1 and 2 are the best in the series. Focused and atmospheric. Then they started to milk the series, Desilets left and the games lost their focus. Jesper Kyd was also a reason I was so into the games. 3 was cool but the setting didn't lend itself well for this type of game even if the tree parkour was fun.
Black Flag was super mediocre in my opinion and got very bored of it after reaching the halfway point.
Unity was ok, enjoyed it a lot on release. Origins was ok but they lost me with the emphasis on RPG mechanics.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
With 3 Remastered on the horizon, I'd do a 1 -> Revelations run myself if Ubi had fixed the busted LOD system in the PC version of 2.

I finished AC1 story today, i did all memory blocks in Full Sync so only thing left to do now is to go and collect all flags and kill all templars.

In case you're not aware, there's no point in collecting the flags. The game doesn't track them at all, and they're just an alternative way of increasing your sync level.

Edit: Here's something to make you feel old: Donkey Kong Country 2 was 12 years old when Assassin's Creed released, and now we're only months away from Assassin's Creed being 12 years old itself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
With 3 Remastered on the horizon, I'd do a 1 -> Revelations run myself if Ubi had fixed the busted LOD system in the PC version of 2.

In case you're not aware, there's no point in collecting the flags. The game doesn't track them at all, and they're just an alternative way of increasing your sync level.

Edit: Here's something to make you feel old: Donkey Kong Country 2 was 12 years old when Assassin's Creed released, and now we're only months away from Assassin's Creed being 12 years old itself.

I know that they are worthless but there is Additional Memories section that tracks them :D

45vuCjz.jpg

LkuiRCR.jpg

Feb 8, 2018
Good luck with AC 3. Can't complain about the campaign or gameplay as a whole but some of the heavily scripted missions were really annoying to me. Will never forget how I had to restart them over and over again because I didn't understand a detail in the mechanics.(PS3) One of the few games that needed more hand holding in some situations.

Last edited:

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I quite like the AC games that I've played, I have skipped a lot of them though. AC1 is one of those, I jumped straight to AC2 which along with Brotherhood are my favorite. Brotherhood's setting and combat are the best, but AC2 comes together better as a game... indeed, finding out "The Truth" was one of the most memorable moments I had with this franchise, it really felt that is just massive world out there and you were just scratching the surface. Unfortunately I think that was lost, and AC games are more like isolated island now.

Also, I can't overstate how much I hope the next game is set in Imperial Rome, is my dream setting since I first herat of the franchise.