• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character are you playing as??

• Kassandra

Votes: 1,964 77.7%
  • Alexios

Votes: 565 22.3%

• Total voters

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Can I ask a question of AC vets please. I think I'm about 15 hours into this. In Origins, there were bows that were effectively rapid fire machine guns. They made bows really valid options in medium range combat. So far in this I've seen nothing like that. Are the quick fire bows a thing of the past?

Also the combat feels really unsatisfying so far - hammer light until they flash, then counter. Enemies are damage sponges despite doing my best to level up. Any tips for getting the most out of combat?
You'll be pleased to know all that bow stuff is there, and you don't need to screw around mid-battle in your inventory screen to switch bows. It's all in your skill tree now, and you can equip up to eight skills and level those up as you level up. A couple of skills make your weapons fire and poison, I don't remember if that affects your bow too, but you'll later find bows that are permanently fire/poison anyway. The skills use your adrenaline bar which goes up as you fight.

For combat, tweak your level scaling and difficulty. The default scaling on Normal is -2 and Hard is -1. I prefer playing on Hard at -2, which makes regular enemies less spongey while keeping mercs and bosses a challenge. If you're on Normal maybe go to -3 or -4. Be sure to equip a secondary weapon too, as you get all the perks from it passively.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
You'll be pleased to know all that bow stuff is there, and you don't need to screw around mid-battle in your inventory screen to switch bows. It's all in your skill tree now, and you can equip up to eight skills and level those up as you level up. A couple of skills make your weapons fire and poison, I don't remember if that affects your bow too, but you'll later find bows that are permanently fire/poison anyway. The skills use your adrenaline bar which goes up as you fight.

For combat, tweak your level scaling and difficulty. The default scaling on Normal is -2 and Hard is -1. I prefer playing on Hard at -2, which makes regular enemies less spongey while keeping mercs and bosses a challenge. If you're on Normal maybe go to -3 or -4. Be sure to equip a secondary weapon too, as you get all the perks from it passively.
Thanks bud that's super helpful.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hows the PS5 / Xbox Series X versions of Odyssey? Better load times, better frame rates or anything similar?

Papo

May 7, 2020
I want to buy this, especially with the ongoing sale...but im hoping for a future ps5 patch or version before I bite.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell does Atlantis episode 3 have a huge difficulty spike? Had no issues the rest of the game and now I'm getting wiped in two hits.
I just want this game over with.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Revisiting to start and finish Atlantis dlc. I feel like I've played so much and this is still episode 1?

The Atlantis DLC gets better and better. The first land is kind of generic (and has obnoxious level design), but the second land has an interesting story, and the third is just so beautiful. Imo the Atlantis DLC is definitely worth playing, though gameplay-wise it's certainly the same stuff that you've experienced before.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Finally, 1850/1850.

There are still missions and question marks and probably countless other things to do.

Finished just shy of level 85. Took 170h 40m, 9343 kills. Started 3/20/2020, with a little break.

It never ends. Is Valhalla longer?

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
So I finally played through Origins after having owned it for quite some time, there's still a lot there but I finished the main story I think, will get back to it but immediately jumped into Odyssey which I also bought a while ago because I like to burn myself out. Played a ton already, chose Kassandra because it made more sense to me and I'm glad I did because while I remembered the talk about the Alexios being... not so good, finally hear more of it, yeesh. Kind of wish she had a female bard/monk as a sidekick.

Anyway, I tracked this OT down to just say Making Friends is the first instance in this game that makes me really, really wish I had a save before I made the "nice" choice. :( I probably should've bit the bullet and started back from my more recent save though it was like an hour of time that I'm not sure exactly all I did.

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I've started playing this again (just finished chapter 2 before I took a break for like 16 months) and I was wondering if anyone had any tips to make it more enjoyable for me?
An open world game in Ancient Greece with sailing and climbing and stealth is like the dream game for me, but I just can't deal with the whole pinging a guy in the head with an arrow for like 5% damage, and it's souring the whole thing for me. I'm pretty sure I read you can pull off one shot kills eventually, given the right level, gear, skills etc., but I just wanna know if I can fast track that stuff and get to that point ASAP?

I really want to love the game, but the most important part, the stealth, just isn't fun right now. It feels like playing RF Guerilla on anything other than easy at the moment. Just a really fun game spoiled by spongy and annoying to fight AI.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
but I just wanna know if I can fast track that stuff and get to that point ASAP?

Unfortunately not, you will have to grind at some point to level your character and get stronger, and even there, you won't be able to take down every opponent with a single shot.

I played Odyssey for the exact reason you mentioned: Open World in Ancient Greece was like a dream becoming true, I've spent 80 hours, and I had no regret. Sure, the grind could be sometimes frustrating, but I would say I've spent maybe 7 to 10% of my time grinding.

To have a better time, when I was in the moments I had to grind (yes, the game will force you to grind, because you'll be under-leveled if you only do the story missions and you'll blocked at some point because of that), I would deactivate the HUD and explore the World like I did in Breast of The Wild, discovering new places, beasts and enemy camps along the way, and having fun just exploring. I was able to make my grind funnier this way, and there's definitely ton of content to discover, and if you're playing Kassandra, she's just a very cool character and it's cool to do optional quest with her.

The grind will be frustrating from time to time buddy, but the overall journey and pleasure you'll get from it is worth in my opinion buddy. :)

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
You won't need to "grind" if you do side-quests.
I put in about 120 hours into Odyssey, and I don't think I spent one second grinding - though I did to every side quest and explored every nook and cranny of the entire map.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know of a streamer/YouTuber who has a good walkthrough of this game?

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
The base game is great! Put 125 hrs in!

the DLC tho… the legacy of the blade episode 1 side quests. Kill wolves? Collect bear pelts? Kill mercenaries? Are you fucking kidding me? Who designed this shit?

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing this right now (I've played all the games in order of release so the only one I haven't played yet is Valhalla) but I'm only just a few hours in.

Origins was a nice change of pace for a series that was growing kind of stale, but I don't think that its formula works for the world they built for Odyssey. Part of the fun of open world games is that you can - purportedly - do what you want, when you want. In previous AC games, as soon as the world opened up, I would ditch the main story (saving it for when I had no other options) and just run around and explore. Uncovering the entire map by finding all the synchronization points, taking over all the forts, assassinating all the gang leaders, upgrading my ship or buildings so I have tons of money to buy whatever equipment I want - and all before really even getting the main storyline started.

But none of that is possible in Odyssey (or Origins to be fair though it didn't bother me there because it was novel at the time) because they have this shitty, unfun RPG mechanic now that level gates everything. Want to explore the map? Well, you can but there's no point in it because none of the quests are doable at your level; you can't assassinate/fight any targets or kill animals for resources because they're at a much higher level than you and even unloading 50+ fully charged arrows into their head does nothing; you can't take over forts/enemy bases either for the same reason. If you earn skill points, well, most of the skills are locked behind story missions or are level gated, so tough! Find loot? That's cool but you can't equip any of it because it's all level gated too!

The synchronization points don't really even do anything either, aside from acting as fast travel points and increasing the bird's perception, whatever that means. The map uncovers automatically whenever you enter a new region, almost every area of the game has a fast travel point that you don't even need to unlock (the ship dock things), and the ?'s on the map don't even reveal themselves unless you approach each one individually! In previous games those sync points were one of the most useful objectives to complete, especially early on, and now they're basically pointless.

I think the main reason it sticks out to me vs Origins is because structurally the world of Odyssey reminds me a lot of my two favorite AC games, Black Flag and Rogue. (I guess because in Odyssey there are lots of islands and you have a ship)

The level gating is just such a regression in game design. I don't even mind that the world is so huge and bloated. Just let me do what I want!

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I actually think the level gating is an amazing design choice as it sort of leads you along a path through the world, and each little section you open up has just a few quests in it so it feels really achievable (and it also helps that most of the side quests are really good lol)

Only about 10 hours into odyssey, but I'm enjoying it a whole lot. I do think Origins had a better "road trip open world" as I would call it, odyssey feels a little more zig zaggy all over the place.
However, the combat is way better, and the dialog choices are an amazing addition to the formula. They always feel impactful and only a couple of times I've said something I didn't mean to say, which normally happens a lot in this type of game.
And I'm enjoying Cassandra more than Bayek, although I'm not 100% sure why.

I also think the early story of her family stuff works as a great carrot on a stick for wanting to see what happens next. Even in the short time I've played there has been a lot of interesting twists and turns

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
In previous AC games, as soon as the world opened up, I would ditch the main story (saving it for when I had no other options) and just run around and explore. Uncovering the entire map by finding all the synchronization points, taking over all the forts, assassinating all the gang leaders, upgrading my ship or buildings so I have tons of money to buy whatever equipment I want - and all before really even getting the main storyline started.
Which previous AC games were like that? Most of the early games gated regions behind literal walls you couldn't move through until you advanced the story. In later games like Syndicate regions were numbered something like 1-9 corresponding to your level, and while you could visit a high level region you could expect to get your ass kicked, just like here.

The synchronization points don't really even do anything either, aside from acting as fast travel points and increasing the bird's perception, whatever that means.
The perception increase is a quality of life improvement. Your eagle can tag things easier, and at greater ranges, than before.

The level gating is just such a regression in game design. I don't even mind that the world is so huge and bloated. Just let me do what I want!
I played the game on Hard. I did what I wanted in each available region, then by the time I moved on to higher level regions I was typically many levels above the recommended range. It wasn't a problem for me. Like you, I didn't prioritize the story missions, I just explored and did whatever was around me and the XP flowed.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Yeah, Odyssey's world is a little too big to not be level-gated. I do like going island to island in a rough linear fashion, as it's all just too big to go exploring without purpose. It fully opens up for exploration soon enough anyway, where levels won't mean squat.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The level gates give a bad first impression, but they become much more lenient as you progress. When you leave the first island there's only Megaris you can go to and once you're done there, Phokis is your only option. I think it makes sense because (gameplay/story spoilers) the Phokis quest line unlocks the Cult and the upgrade mechanic for your spear which is a huge part of the game. In a sense Megaris and Phokis can be seen as an extended, mandatory introduction to the game. Once you've completed their quest lines, the world opens up immensely. At first only one or two regions will be available. But as you gain levels you will quickly unlock new ones. Before you know it you can already visit five more regions while you haven't even fully explored your current—and suddenly you realize the world struggles to catch up to you instead of the other way around.

Just make sure to visit every quest board you come across and accept any quests that reward gold-level experience. Purple is worthwhile, too. The rest is crap and should be ignored unless you're a fan. Completing the big forts (mostly one, sometimes two per region) also awards a lot of experience... plus they're a ton of fun if you take the stealth approach.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Which previous AC games were like that? Most of the early games gated regions behind literal walls you couldn't move through until you advanced the story. In later games like Syndicate regions were numbered something like 1-9 corresponding to your level, and while you could visit a high level region you could expect to get your ass kicked, just like here.

Well, I remember doing that in Rogue and to a lesser extent in the earlier games. Certain regions were locked until you progressed in the story, to be fair, but the areas that were available were pretty big and you had more freedom to do what you wanted, when you wanted within those spaces. The entire map being open to you from (almost) the very beginning in Origins and Odyssey is just an illusion since there's almost nothing you can actually do in most of those regions due to the level gating.

The perception increase is a quality of life improvement. Your eagle can tag things easier, and at greater ranges, than before.

I guess I just don't see the use in that. I never struggled with his more limited range before.

I played the game on Hard. I did what I wanted in each available region, then by the time I moved on to higher level regions I was typically many levels above the recommended range. It wasn't a problem for me. Like you, I didn't prioritize the story missions, I just explored and did whatever was around me and the XP flowed.

teach me your ways! :O

It fully opens up for exploration soon enough anyway, where levels won't mean squat.

How do you mean? I'm in the process of exploring the entire world map (I've explored like 95% of it so far) and I can barely do anything other than synchronize the viewpoints, which don't even really do anything anymore.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
I'm sorry if it's been asked, is the Valhalla DLC out?
Is it a different quest than the one in Valhalla and I gotta download the game again?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
How do you mean? I'm in the process of exploring the entire world map (I've explored like 95% of it so far) and I can barely do anything other than synchronize the viewpoints, which don't even really do anything anymore.
I can only imagine you've missed a ton of available side quests in the early regions. Go back to the lowest regions and clear out everything on the map. Take a few of the notice board missions too.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I remember doing that in Rogue and to a lesser extent in the earlier games. Certain regions were locked until you progressed in the story, to be fair, but the areas that were available were pretty big and you had more freedom to do what you wanted, when you wanted within those spaces. The entire map being open to you from (almost) the very beginning in Origins and Odyssey is just an illusion since there's almost nothing you can actually do in most of those regions due to the level gating.

I guess I just don't see the use in that. I never struggled with his more limited range before.

teach me your ways! :O

They mean that if you're interacting with stuff that IS your level, the amount of stuff that isn't your level rapidly shrinks until the world is your ouster. That's not going to happen until you start gaining levels though.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I can only imagine you've missed a ton of available side quests in the early regions. Go back to the lowest regions and clear out everything on the map. Take a few of the notice board missions too.

They mean that if you're interacting with stuff that IS your level, the amount of stuff that isn't your level rapidly shrinks until the world is your ouster. That's not going to happen until you start gaining levels though.

Right, I haven't done any of the main/side quests yet. I just wanted to run around and explore the map, etc. before doing anything else.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I mean just play the game - take on some story and side missions and before you know it, you'll be properly leveled. Anyhow, most of the locations are better first discovered on a mission rather than free exploration.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I hate these aggressive mercenaries. They just show up out of nowhere at the most inopportune moment and are always way harder to kill than the surrounding enemies. go away

The optional monster/giant animal bosses are also terrible. Just gigantic bullet sponges whose health takes forever to whittle down - they're not even hard, just incredibly tedious.

I also didn't know there was a way to turn off level scaling (...is there?) so I've been having to deal with that too, which has made the overall experience 50% less fun.

But other than that, it's fun. AC was what I was in the mood for and AC was what I got. Valhalla was under $20 on Amazon so I went ahead and bought it. Will probably be a number of months before I play it though - I already got burned out of playing Odyssey twice now...

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
The Hippocrates questline is glitched and isn't showing up for me :/

The platinum is now out of reach ;___;

EDIT: Holy shit, just after I posted this I decided to try one more time and after like 10 minutes of wandering around Thebes the questline randomly (and finally!) showed up! 😭 yesssss

Last edited:

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
So yesterday I did the Valhalla crossover questline that they added as free DLC at the end of last year. Wanted to get this out of the way to wrap it up before starting Valhalla back up for Dawn of Ragnarok and the Ccrossover DLC in Valhalla.

Turns out there was really no crossover at all in the Odyssey quest, no appearance by Vikings, Eivor, explanation of why Randvi looks like Kassandra etc. Just vague hints that Kassandra will do stuff in her immortal future. It was nice playing as Kassandra again for the 3 or so hours that thing lasted but at the same time I apparantely played the game for 96 freaking hours in the past and was glad when it was over. The segments towards the end of the quest were fun where you lose your powers. Showed me how much I relied on the "Assassin sense" and other abilities LOL. BTW the game is still a looker on PS5 with HDR enabled.

Now onto the respective quest in Valhalla.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
BTW, will Dawn of Ragnarok be the kind of DLC that works on it's own, or will I need to have Valhalla installed for it to play off of?

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
BTW, will Dawn of Ragnarok be the kind of DLC that works on it's own, or will I need to have Valhalla installed for it to play off of?
Needs the game iirc. It's an expansion not standalone. Patch 1.5 that released I think is already ready for the DLC to be released.