• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character are you playing as??

• Kassandra

Votes: 1,964 77.7%
  • Alexios

Votes: 565 22.3%

• Total voters

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
So I just finished all the Odyssey main quests after 57 hours, and globally, I've loved this game more than I expected!

While I truly enjoyed Kassandra's family story and the Kult hunting, I'm left quite disappointed by the Atlantis story from the Odyssey and the relationship with the present days.

I don't know if we're still in spoiler territories since the game came out 2 years ago I think? Below might be.

-------

Like, everything was just a purpose for fighting mythologic creatures, but apart from saying we're crossing several simulations from the 1st Civilisation, it leads to nothing else, really? A 2 minutes dialogues and we're done?

Do I need to do the Atlantis DLCs to get more stuff regarding this Atlantic story and the present days, or is it everything Ubisoft has for the players interested in the link between past & present days in Assassin's Creed? Like, did we seal Atlantis? It doesn't sound like we did, but it was our purpose, isn't it?

Again, loved the Kassandra's story as there's a conclusion about it, but I'm left starving on the present days one and the stuff happening between Assassins and Templars. Is it because Ubisoft doesn't really know where they are going with the present days apart from being an excuse for historical gameplay with the Animus? Are they even trying to go somewhere regarding this?

At least, the Desmond Saga had a story to tell, not the best one, but you "got" something by the end of AC III, you had been somewhere story wise.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
So I just finished all the Odyssey main quests after 57 hours, and globally, I've loved this game more than I expected!

While I truly enjoyed Kassandra's family story and the Kult hunting, I'm left quite disappointed by the Atlantis story from the Odyssey and the relationship with the present days.

I don't know if we're still in spoiler territories since the game came out 2 years ago I think? Below might be.

-------

Like, everything was just a purpose for fighting mythologic creatures, but apart from saying we're crossing several simulations from the 1st Civilisation, it leads to nothing else, really? A 2 minutes dialogues and we're done?

Do I need to do the Atlantis DLCs to get more stuff regarding this Atlantic story and the present days, or is it everything Ubisoft has for the players interested in the link between past & present days in Assassin's Creed? Like, did we seal Atlantis? It doesn't sound like we did, but it was our purpose, isn't it?

Again, loved the Kassandra's story as there's a conclusion about it, but I'm left starving on the present days one and the stuff happening between Assassins and Templars. Is it because Ubisoft doesn't really know where they are going with the present days apart from being an excuse for historical gameplay with the Animus? Are they even trying to go somewhere regarding this?

At least, the Desmond Saga had a story to tell, not the best one, but you "got" something by the end of AC III, you had been somewhere story wise.
The modern day continues in The Heir of Memories and the Atlantis DLC but... they're not good. At all.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
So after 76 hours I should be only a couple of hours away from the platinum and only now did I encounter this hilarious moment when traveling by ship:

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So after the..

destruction of Atlantis, you beat Otso Berg and get transported back to Kephallonia

the DLC is done? Am I done with the game? It felt so abrupt that I'm confused.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Someone who's had this game since the start: when did they add the ability to make a piece of armor look like another piece of armor. Someone said it was there at launch, and I do NOT remember that.

Oct 28, 2017
Someone who's had this game since the start: when did they add the ability to make a piece of armor look like another piece of armor. Someone said it was there at launch, and I do NOT remember that.
It wasn't there at launch, it was a little bit afterwards:
assassinscreed.ubisoft.com

Introducing the Visual Customization System

Live the epic odyssey of a legendary greek hero. Assassin’s Creed® Odyssey will let you decide on your path through the Golden Age of Ancient Greece. Become a legendary Hero and uncover the secrets of your past.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
I finally got to Atlantis, which was one of the main reasons I wanted to play the game. The DLC leading up to it was pretty bad, but I am enjoying checking out this new region. I figure it's all going to go to shit as soon as I do any missions.

It's weird to be named second in command as soon as you arrive but there are still random guards who will try to kill you. Whatever. It's pretty to look at it.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017

Yep, only for legendaries armors that said, but once you have one equipped, you can press "X" (on Xbox) and select the appearance you want it to have. You can only select appearance from armors you have already looted.

I finally got to Atlantis, which was one of the main reasons I wanted to play the game. The DLC leading up to it was pretty bad, but I am enjoying checking out this new region. I figure it's all going to go to shit as soon as I do any missions.

I got the Atlantis Episode 1 DLC for free. Do you happen to go to Atlantis with this DLC, or do you need to have the other 2 parts?

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
Atlantis itself is in the third episode of Fate of Atlantis.
In the first episode you are in the Elysian Fields, and in the second episode you are in the Underworld.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I got the Atlantis Episode 1 DLC for free. Do you happen to go to Atlantis with this DLC, or do you need to have the other 2 parts?
The second expansion comes with three new areas: Elysium, Hades and Atlantis. It's a quite substantial expansion. They gave away the first area for free. You can't buy the areas separately either.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
I started Fate of the Atlantis and I'm almost done with Elysium:
-The amount of XP, skill points and drachmas compared to the main gain is ridiculous
-Thank god for no falling damage
-I don't know if it's because I don't know much about greek mythology, but the choices seem to be way harder than in the main game and more impactful. Most of the time I have no idea what the intended good choice is supposed to be. It's like I'm being played by all these people but don't know why and how. They definitely seemed to have improved the branching paths aspect.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
I started Fate of the Atlantis and I'm almost done with Elysium:
-The amount of XP, skill points and drachmas compared to the main gain is ridiculous
-Thank god for no falling damage
-I don't know if it's because I don't know much about greek mythology, but the choices seem to be way harder than in the main game and more impactful. Most of the time I have no idea what the intended good choice is supposed to be. It's like I'm being played by all these people but don't know why and how. They definitely seemed to have improved the branching paths aspect.
You are being played. Persephone, Hekate even Adonis all want you to do their bidding. They all have an agenda. You're not expected to get the best outcome. It can be done but it's tricky.

This game made me become reacquainted with ancient greek history and mythology. Only a handful of games have ever made me want to read books!

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
So after the..

destruction of Atlantis, you beat Otso Berg and get transported back to Kephallonia

the DLC is done? Am I done with the game? It felt so abrupt that I'm confused.

Indeed, that is the end. The ending is bad.

It's weird to be named second in command as soon as you arrive but there are still random guards who will try to kill you. Whatever. It's pretty to look at it.
The DLC areas are frankly gorgeous, but they tend to be a pain to navigate (more so the first two areas than the last) and are paired with some of the most insipid storytelling the series has had.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
The DLC areas are frankly gorgeous, but they tend to be a pain to navigate (more so the first two areas than the last) and are paired with some of the most insipid storytelling the series has had.

I finished the game today. Atlantis was cool and I would have liked a longer and more fleshed our experience there, or even the option to have just played that portion of the DLC. Unfortunately I was burned out on the game and the tedious DLC leading up to it, so even seeing some of the cool Isu lore moments didn't do much for me.

Sometimes you beat a game and it sticks with you. I finished this game and deleted it immediately.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately I was burned out on the game...

I can only imagine playing this game straight through would lead to this. I personally beat the main story, took a month break to beat another game, came back and finished the Cult off and got the platinum. I then had to wait months for each part of the DLC to come out, so when they did I was fresh and ready to go.

I think that was a definite advantage to having played the game when it came out, as opposed to playing all 120 hours of it back to back haha.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
120 hours? Well, I'm surprise I was done with the main story, the Odyssey, The Cult and the Atlantis artifacts within 70 hours. I felt it was juste enough before I would be burnt out by the game length haha.

Yeah I cleared every location on all four of the maps in the game and achieved the platinum trophy so it was a lot of extra content.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I'm level 44 and searching for 4 artifacts. It says what island to go to but there aren't really any clues in seeing other than that. They each have so many random missions popping up it could be any one. It's helpful I accept everything, otherwise they could be missed. Thoughts on this part?

Also, the fork in the story is weird.

Go collect these artifacts and save...
Or go home, face your past and progress..

I don't think I'd not want to do either, but priority of one over the other is at odds with each other.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm level 44 and searching for 4 artifacts. It says what island to go to but there aren't really any clues in seeing other than that. They each have so many random missions popping up it could be any one. It's helpful I accept everything, otherwise they could be missed. Thoughts on this part?

Also, the fork in the story is weird.

Go collect these artifacts and save...
Or go home, face your past and progress..

I don't think I'd not want to do either, but priority of one over the other is at odds with each other.
You're supposed to do a couple of the random missions on the islands to give you clues to where the artifacts are and how to get them, I don't think any of them just let you go straight to them.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
It took me dying 10 times against the Cerberus to finally realize I could change my equipment by pressing the options button instead of touchpad button (which just said "map unavailable").
The underworld is a pretty cool location thus far.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any way to level boost to level 45 similar to AC Origins?

I can't deal with this gating anymore, man.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure this is the right thread to ask, but the Ezio Collection and Triple Pack are on sale right now on the PSN store. The only AC games I've played are Origins and Odyssey, and I enjoyed them both.

Would I be crazy to go back to the earlier games?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm not sure this is the right thread to ask, but the Ezio Collection and Triple Pack are on sale right now on the PSN store. The only AC games I've played are Origins and Odyssey, and I enjoyed them both.

It's a fair place to ask.

There are a lot of good games there. They are quite different from Origins and Odyssey though. Fewer if any RPG aspects and loot. Of the six games, only Black Flag has sailing and sea combat like Odyssey. IMO the best option for you would be the Triple Pack. You get three very different settings, including open world pirate game, Paris and Victorian London. I'm not sure how well the Ezio Trilogy will have aged since they were on the previous gen of course, and the Revelations game in that trilogy is widely considered one of the worst in the entire series. Unity got a lot of hate too, but that was mostly at launch and they fixed most of the bugs and performance issues within a month or two. OTOH, the Ezio character and story is great.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México

You would not be crazy to go back, but expect radically different games compared to Odyssey and Origins. The rest of the games in the series are not RPGs. And the Ezio games are pretty good, probably my personal favourites, but it feels II -> Brotherhood -> Revelations feels like a game and its two expansion pack sequels, if that will affect your purchase at all. The games will feel stiff when you start them, but they offer the most control in parkour the series ever had. If one falls, slides of a roof, or miss one's jump, it because of unclean inputs. Buuut, even if you master the movement and flow, the games are older, and will show their age in visuals and even some mechanics. The lock-on and combat system can be finicky at times, especially when trying to transition from combat to escaping. The narrative of the games tell a very interesting story of a single character, basically throughout their life. Very satisfying. If you care at all about the Modern Day, pseudo-cyberpunk metastory, these games try their best to scratch that itch

IV: Black Flag is a great game.... if you like naval combat. The game is all about the naval combat. It's also an evolution of III, which... still has some issues carried from the last game. But it has one of the best narratives in the series. Unity is still incredibly broken and has bad performance, and the world design is.... well the world is gorgeous and even entertaining to navigate (until you get fudged by the superfluous, uncancellable animations) but the game has so many collectibles and stuff. But since you enjoyed Odyssey that probably won't bother you. :P Note though, they tried something with the combat that... doesn't always land. Meanwhile Syndicate is more Unity, (in a manner not dissimilar to Odyssey being more Origins) but less broken, technically, but a much more boring world design, coupled with an "easy climb" button and... one of the weaker plots in the main series, in my opinion? If you care at all about the Modern Day, pseudo-cyberpunk metastory, these games... will probably disappoint.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fair place to ask.

There are a lot of good games there. They are quite different from Origins and Odyssey though. Fewer if any RPG aspects and loot. Of the six games, only Black Flag has sailing and sea combat like Odyssey. IMO the best option for you would be the Triple Pack. You get three very different settings, including open world pirate game, Paris and Victorian London. I'm not sure how well the Ezio Trilogy will have aged since they were on the previous gen of course, and the Revelations game in that trilogy is widely considered one of the worst in the entire series. Unity got a lot of hate too, but that was mostly at launch and they fixed most of the bugs and performance issues within a month or two. OTOH, the Ezio character and story is great.

I agree with all of this. The Ezio games are beloved for good reason but IMO AC2 plays super clunky these days and doesn't hold up particularly well. Brotherhood is much better, though. Revelations is MOTS from Brotherhood.

Also, I think AC2 is *worse* in the remastered collection. The restored Sequences that were originally DLC are absolute pacing killers and really should be removed from the game.

With the other pack you are getting far more variety, as you said, and they just feel better to play.

I think Unity is underrated. It got a deserved bad rap for it's launch state and micro transactions but it's patched up nicely now and IIRC the micro transactions were removed. And it's actually a pretty decent stand-in for AC2 in the sense that it actually got rid of a lot of the excessive gameplay systems that started to accumulate in Brotherhood and beyond (and would pop right back in with Syndicate). It's very much a "back to basics" AC game with the series' best parkour system and the best Assassination missions up to that point. I think it's a good "first" AC game for someone who wants to play the pre-Origins games.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the replies so far. Just to go into more detail about what I liked / disliked about AC Origins and Odyssey:

Things I liked:
- Ancient world tourism
- Really liked Bayek, Aya and Kassandra
- Good "checklist" games, can play without putting too much thought into it, and feel like you've always accomplished something in a play session

Things I was ambivalent about:
- Mastering the combat system
- RPG elements
- The modern day story
- Naval combat

Things I didn't like:
- The map system in Origins (there were a lot of sidequests I missed in the first part of the game because I was zoomed out too much on the map for the ? to show up)
- The Fate of Atlantis DLC - it basically felt like I switched genres to a bad scifi movie.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I still think you are probably better served with the triple pack but I think you would enjoy the Ezio games as well based on your likes and dislikes.

Thanks for the replies so far. Just to go into more detail about what I liked / disliked about AC Origins and Odyssey:

Things I liked:
- Ancient world tourism
It's not ancient world but you will get the tourism part in spades. It's crazy to see the French Revolution and Victorian England represented with such amazing fidelity. This has always been a huge selling point for the series.

- Really liked Bayek, Aya and Kassandra
Well the Ezio Trilogy features Ezio, obviously, and he's easily the most popular AC character ever. However in the Triple pack you get two of the other character favorites- Evie (Syndicate) and Edward Kenway (Black Flag). You are in great shape no matter which option you choose.
- Good "checklist" games, can play without putting too much thought into it, and feel like you've always accomplished something in a play session

This is AC in a nutshell and you will get this from every entry from AC2 on.

Things I was ambivalent about:
- Mastering the combat system
Combat has never been a series' strong point. I think the systems in Origins and Odyssey are vast improvements over the other entries. However the combat in all of the titles are brain dead easy. You aren't going to come away from any of these games thinking "damn, I really enjoyed the combat.
RPG elements are not as heavy in the other games however it's something that got stronger and stronger as the series went on. The Ezio games have an upgrade system in place while you will get actual character levels in Unity and Syndicate. But it's still a lighter RPG influence than Origins/Odyssey.
- The modern day story
Unity and Syndicate are for you if that's the case. They both have barely any modern day at all. It's super, super minimal. You aren't even controlling a character.

The caveat here is that in the AC2 days the modern story mattered and it was quite good. So you might actually like it if you played those games. But you don't get the conclusion to that arc in the Ezio trilogy. That conclusion happens in AC3 and most would agree that it ends with a whimper. Personally I really like 90% of the modern day stuff in AC3 but the ending was very anti-climactic and unsatisfying.
Well you get a ton of it in Black Flag but that's the only one in any of the games in this collection. But the naval combat in Black Flag is a bit different since you are dealing with more modern ships so you might like it a bit more?

Things I didn't like:

- The map system in Origins (there were a lot of sidequests I missed in the first part of the game because I was zoomed out too much on the map for the ? to show up)

That won't be a problem. The old games have detailed progression trackers in the menus and the maps are detailed to the point of being overbearing. You won't miss any content if you don't want to.

- The Fate of Atlantis DLC - it basically felt like I switched genres to a bad scifi movie.

The more modern games tone down the sci-fi stuff a lot. One of the conceits of the Origins/Odyssey group is using ancient history as a way to show actual mythical figures/monsters as being a product of Isu Tech and they used the DLCs as a way to run even more wild with the idea. The use of sci-fi elements in the modern-era games is more subdued (though still very much present).

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, went ahead and got both collections. Is there a definitive AC1 video summary somewhere? Or should I just pick a random one on youtube.

Oct 30, 2017
I like the conquest system in the game--those moments nail the "300" style combat sequences. But the melee combat is piss easy due to the very generous parry timing. Couple it with the heal ability and you're pretty much invincible as long as you don't get swarmed by more than 3 enemies. More often than not, I try to kite enemies to the edge of mountains and Spartan kick them off. That shit is so fun.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Thanks, went ahead and got both collections. Is there a definitive AC1 video summary somewhere? Or should I just pick a random one on youtube.
Nice. Since you're rounding out the collection don't forget Rogue Remaster, which originally came out around the time of Black Flag, and has a lot of naval stuff too and also a great story. Finally you'll get AC3 with the Season Pass of Odyssey, which for me is tied for worst in series along with Revelations (Ezio 3), but anyway the expansions for Origins and Odyssey are both worth having.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. Since you're rounding out the collection don't forget Rogue Remaster, which originally came out around the time of Black Flag, and has a lot of naval stuff too and also a great story. Finally you'll get AC3 with the Season Pass of Odyssey, which for me is tied for worst in series along with Revelations (Ezio 3), but anyway the expansions for Origins and Odyssey are both worth having.
Yeah I actually picked up Rogue remaster and had AC3 w/ the Season Pass already. So, I think I have everything except AC1 (which I guess I technically own on steam but my gaming PC broke).

Doubt I will make it through the whole collection any time soon but they should be nice games to fall back on when I have a gap.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Yeah I actually picked up Rogue remaster and had AC3 w/ the Season Pass already. So, I think I have everything except AC1 (which I guess I technically own on steam but my gaming PC broke).

Doubt I will make it through the whole collection any time soon but they should be nice games to fall back on when I have a gap.
Don't be tempted with the utterly mediocre side scrolling trilogy. They're a pale shadow of the far superior Mark of the Ninja.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

Random is probably fine. AC1 isn't very dense on story. Just make sure it has all of the modern day stuff. The most significant items in the Altair plotline is the beginning and ending.

If you do end up playing AC3 sometime, I highly recommend taking the time to do the Homestead content. It isn't very apparent at the start but it ends up being a fairly huge, almost totally optional, sidequest chain with some good good characters and you will see a side of Connor that you never see in the rest of the game.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty funny moment. I was being chased by an entire fort as I looted and also had 3 mercenaries on my ass. Jumped off a cliff and for whatever reason they started fighting each other. Was funny just seeing their shadows as the mercenaries got killed and I got the credit. I just waited and then looted their corpses.

Malo

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
I've been playing this a lot recently and I'm really enjoying my time with it. Is the season pass with it? It's currently on sale for $20 and I was thinking of getting it.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I've been playing this a lot recently and I'm really enjoying my time with it. Is the season pass with it? It's currently on sale for $20 and I was thinking of getting it.
Doesn't sound like a great sale but maybe that's as good as season passes go. Anyway, yes definitely worth it. First expansion is short and weak, takes place in the same world. Second expansion is excellent, three new areas with new art styles, new abilities, good stories imo and adds a lot of game time. Plus you get the AC3 remaster.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Im coming up to what I think is the end of the main story. Is it worth doing all the cultists first?

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Im coming up to what I think is the end of the main story. Is it worth doing all the cultists first?

They aren't not really related in the end, you can do the Cultist later.

The cultist hunt is actually really fun imo, but it can takes a few hours to be 100%, but there's a nice surprise story wise in the end.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They aren't not really related in the end, you can do the Cultist later.

The cultist hunt is actually really fun imo, but it can takes a few hours to be 100%, but there's a nice surprise story wise in the end.

Thanks, and yeah I'm having fun tracking them down. I think I have 7 or 8 to go. So the main story ending is different if you get all the cultists first?

I'm at the
Homecoming chapter if the main story, after you kill Kerlon,
and I'm guessing that's near the end of the story

I also have the DLC but haven't started it yet, however I did the 4 things
for my father to open Atlantis
, but I have yet to visit him to return the artefacts because I'm not sure if that triggers the DLC or if that's a plot in the main game

Is there a preferred order to do the DLC in?

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks, and yeah I'm having fun tracking them down. I think I have 7 or 8 to go. So the main story ending is different if you get all the cultists first?

I'm at the
Homecoming chapter if the main story, after you kill Kerlon,
and I'm guessing that's near the end of the story

I also have the DLC but haven't started it yet, however I did the 4 things
for my father to open Atlantis
, but I have yet to visit him to return the artefacts because I'm not sure if that triggers the DLC or if that's a plot in the main game

Is there a preferred order to do the DLC in?
Main Story isn't affected by the cultist members, so the order doesn't matter.

Returning the artifacts shouldn't trigger the DLC, there's a quest you have to do before they'll let you go to the DLC stuff.

DLC's I just did as they came out.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Main Story isn't affected by the cultist members, so the order doesn't matter.

Returning the artifacts shouldn't trigger the DLC, there's a quest you have to do before they'll let you go to the DLC stuff.

DLC's I just did as they came out.

I might finish the story, track the cultists down, then do the non fantasy DLC and end with the fantasy one then. I did that with Origins so makes sense to repeat that now if there is no preferred order

How long is the DLC out of interest? I think my save file is at 75 hours and I imagine that will be close to 85 once the story and cult have been taken care of

Oct 28, 2017
I might finish the story, track the cultists down, then do the non fantasy DLC and end with the fantasy one then. I did that with Origins so makes sense to repeat that now if there is no preferred order

How long is the DLC out of interest? I think my save file is at 75 hours and I imagine that will be close to 85 once the story and cult have been taken care of
Legacy of the First Blade took me about 9 and a half hours and the Atlantis one is much longer about 22/23 hours since there's a new map for each part.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Legacy of the First Blade took me about 9 and a half hours and the Atlantis one is much longer about 22/23 hours since there's a new map for each part.

The absolute size of this game

Origins took me 65 hours to beat the main story and both DLCs

Love these games but I think I'll be waiting a while before jumping into Valhalla