• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character are you playing as??

• Kassandra

Votes: 1,964 77.7%
  • Alexios

Votes: 565 22.3%

• Total voters

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
That is weird the game should have auto saved when you turned in the quest so I'm not sure how you lost the level unless you choose to load a manual save instead?
Yeah it was definitely weird. The reason why I am sure is, that I had leveled up to level 18 and when I died a minute later and the game loaded the last save, I was back at level 17.

Situation in detail:
- I killed a spartan leader
- hell breaks lose and soldiers and 2 mercenaries attack me.
- I kill mercenary 1, but number 2 kills me off

In any case: overall I realized I am more into gaining levels (therefore doing side missions) than following the story. I wonder how it will feel once I am 50 and I still have more then half of the story to go

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Yeah it was definitely weird. The reason why I am sure is, that I had leveled up to level 18 and when I died a minute later and the game loaded the last save, I was back at level 17.

Situation in detail:

In any case: overall I realized I am more into gaining levels (therefore doing side missions) than following the story. I wonder how it will feel once I am 50 and I still have more then half of the story to go
Max is 99, then you keep getting ability points for master levels. The enemies will always scale to your level (also with the 0, -2 or -4 handicap you apply).

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Situation in detail:

Yeah I wouldn't worry much about the level cap I did every mission in the game, and all DLC and got the Platinum trophy and hit level 99 during the final DLC.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Max is 99, then you keep getting ability points for master levels. The enemies will always scale to your level (also with the 0, -2 or -4 handicap you apply).
Yeah I wouldn't worry much about the level cap I did every mission in the game, and all DLC and got the Platinum trophy and hit level 99 during the final DLC.
I actually meant level 37 to 38. And also: fuuuuck. I thought the base game capped at 50 and the dlc added another 10 levels. Oh god 😅

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I actually meant level 37 to 38. And also: fuuuuck. I thought the base game capped at 50 and the dlc added another 10 levels. Oh god 😅
I was way past 99 by the time I finished game + expansions, because I was going for 100%. After 99 each time you level up you can add a point to any of tons of your stats, so you really fine tune your build.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Is there a good video that helps explain the setting and historical basis the game is set on? Call me an idiot but I know literally nothing about the history of Greece so it's hard to care about Athens vs Sparta when I have no idea what the war is even about.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Working on the odyssey platinum and I am so fucking relieved with the boat upgrade trophy now that I read more about. Apparently they had added new levels with the dlc that has insane numbers like 300.000 gold and shitloads of resources and I was like "fuck me" but apparently I don't need those extra levels. Thank fucking god 😅

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Working on the odyssey platinum and I am so fucking relieved with the boat upgrade trophy now that I read more about. Apparently they had added new levels with the dlc that has insane numbers like 300.000 gold and shitloads of resources and I was like "fuck me" but apparently I don't need those extra levels. Thank fucking god 😅
If you're going for 100% you'll max everything loooooong before. Later in the game the rate of resources also picks up. Like early on collecting a small tree gives you +2 wood say, later on the same act gives +50 wood, stuff like that. I have millions of gold without even trying. Also there's that golden egg easter egg gives you 500K iirc, look that up.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
If you're going for 100% you'll max everything loooooong before. Later in the game the rate of resources also picks up. Like early on collecting a small tree gives you +2 wood say, later on the same act gives +50 wood, stuff like that. I have millions of gold without even trying. Also there's that golden egg easter egg gives you 500K iirc, look that up.
oh wow good to know thanks. But the platinum is the goal. Not 100% 😅

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Is there a good video that helps explain the setting and historical basis the game is set on? Call me an idiot but I know literally nothing about the history of Greece so it's hard to care about Athens vs Sparta when I have no idea what the war is even about.
Overly Sarcastic Productions has a fair bit on Classical history as well as mythology. Funny too. Overly Sarcastic Productions Try this at first -History Summarized: Ancient Greece They even cover games like AC Origins and Odyssey Assassin's Creed Origins: Historical Realism Review Historical Realism Review: Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Try Historia Civilis too Historia Civilis. And another is Invicta who also feature the AC games Let's Visit An Athenian Home - History Tour in AC: Odyssey Discovery Mode.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, maybe a silly question but I am level 55 now at the end of the main story with 95% of cultist kills and only the last section of the Legacy of the first Blade DLC to go, what is the highest level requirement for the Fate of Atlantis DLC? Do I have access to all the content now or will I need to get higher to access anything?

I ask because I am actually worried about overlevelling my character too fast and having to spend gold to upgrade weapons etc. If I will need to be higher to finish the DLC I will carry on doing side missions etc in the base game but if not ill stop doing them ASAP in order to blitz through the DLC in order to prevent myself from losing my build.

Might sound weird but I would rather do the base game with my good build and then revisit the side stuff with my meh builds. I know level 99 is the level cap itself but I imagine the DLC initially raised the cap at 70? (the first level cap raise?)

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, maybe a silly question but I am level 55 now at the end of the main story with 95% of cultist kills and only the last section of the Legacy of the first Blade DLC to go, what is the highest level requirement for the Fate of Atlantis DLC? Do I have access to all the content now or will I need to get higher to access anything?

I ask because I am actually worried about overlevelling my character too fast and having to spend gold to upgrade weapons etc. If I will need to be higher to finish the DLC I will carry on doing side missions etc in the base game but if not ill stop doing them ASAP in order to blitz through the DLC in order to prevent myself from losing my build.

Might sound weird but I would rather do the base game with my good build and then revisit the side stuff with my meh builds. I know level 99 is the level cap itself but I imagine the DLC initially raised the cap at 70? (the first level cap raise?)

I can't remember exactly but if the max level is higher than 55 it isn't by much. They didn't even increase the level caps until most of the DLC was out (to 99 that is).

I would bet that you are 99% fine as far as levelling goes to get the DLC going, I know for a fact the first part is fine for sure.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm gonna start this soon. Is there a general consensus on which is the best mode to start on, guided or exploration?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm gonna start this soon. Is there a general consensus on which is the best mode to start on, guided or exploration?
I finished it 100% in Exploration mode, which is the recommended option by the devs iirc. I never had any trouble knowing where to go or what to do. Whenever you enter a new area, quest options in the area show up, and some times you'll do something then meet someone and they'll say basically, "Thanks for already doing that thing, here's your reward." I really liked going to a new place and finding the things to do. As I said, you never get lost or run out of options.

Also consensus seems to be Kassandra is the better option.

EDIT: Also, start doing the daily and weekly quests for the blue stuff oricalchum as soon as you can, as that's the premium currency to spend on the random gear the special vendor gives out every Tuesday morning US time for a week, which is gear and cosmetics that's hard to acquire otherwise or may cost real money.

Also check Uplay for free rewards, or spend some of your Rewards points on stuff.

Last edited:

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
Ugh, got a glitch in the Atlantis DLC that causes the AI of an NPC to break and a quest (Key and Kyros) to be impossible to complete. Looking online, this glitch has been known to Ubi for a year but they haven't fixed it.

The first DLC pack (First Blade) was kind of lame but typical for the series, but so far the Atlantis DLC is a massive slog that doesn't respect the player's time. It's pretty, but so tedious. I also hate that the enemies are always the same level or even one higher than me, and even though my assassin damage is over 100k I can't take down anything unless I am in a bush behind them. What's the point of being a high level if everything is the same level, even random animals and villagers? That part of the game is broken.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Anywhere that explains how the stats in this game work? Like whether buffs on your second weapon apply to your current, or really really in depth explanations of the mechanics / synergies?

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
so, I bought Odyssey early 2019 and didn't like it too much, now during the lockdown I decided to go back and liked it a lot.

however I have a problem and that is the level scaling, especially with gear.

up until level 40 it wasn't a huge deal, I simply switched to new gear I found all the time.

but after level 40 I found the weapons I like, with all the best engravings and the set of armor with set bonus and also engravings

so I longer want to switch to new gear.
so I need to upgrade.
which is super expensive in this game.

since I got all perks I like a long time ago, level ups simply started to feel like punishments.
I am now level 55 and halfway through the first area of the fate of atlantis dlc and it's getting worse and worsr. I don't want to level up anymore, stop it! :O

am I doing something wrong? is there a way around this? how have others dealt with this?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
so, I bought Odyssey early 2019 and didn't like it too much, now during the lockdown I decided to go back and liked it a lot.

however I have a problem and that is the level scaling, especially with gear.

up until level 40 it wasn't a huge deal, I simply switched to new gear I found all the time.

but after level 40 I found the weapons I like, with all the best engravings and the set of armor with set bonus and also engravings

so I longer want to switch to new gear.
so I need to upgrade.
which is super expensive in this game.

since I got all perks I like a long time ago, level ups simply started to feel like punishments.
I am now level 55 and halfway through the first area of the fate of atlantis dlc and it's getting worse and worsr. I don't want to level up anymore, stop it! :O

am I doing something wrong? is there a way around this? how have others dealt with this?
I just equipped new gear constantly, and only upgraded one or two things every 15 or 20 levels. Your problem is solved at level 99. It gives you an excuse to try different weapon types.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I just equipped new gear constantly, and only upgraded one or two things every 15 or 20 levels. Your problem is solved at level 99. It gives you an excuse to try different weapon types.
I have tried diffent weapons until 40.
I have 3 weapons equipped with 2 important golden engravings each.

Similar situation with armor.

And I wont ever be 99 in this ;p

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Started this last night

I finished it 100% in Exploration mode, which is the recommended option by the devs iirc. I never had any trouble knowing where to go or what to do. Whenever you enter a new area, quest options in the area show up, and some times you'll do something then meet someone and they'll say basically, "Thanks for already doing that thing, here's your reward." I really liked going to a new place and finding the things to do. As I said, you never get lost or run out of options.

Also consensus seems to be Kassandra is the better option.

EDIT: Also, start doing the daily and weekly quests for the blue stuff oricalchum as soon as you can, as that's the premium currency to spend on the random gear the special vendor gives out every Tuesday morning US time for a week, which is gear and cosmetics that's hard to acquire otherwise or may cost real money.

Also check Uplay for free rewards, or spend some of your Rewards points on stuff.

It was only ever going to be Kassandra. I'm not really interested in Uplay stuff (I skip it in every Ubisoft game) and also not interested in spending real money.

I put 65 hours into Origins late last year and I beat that and the DLC just fine, if this is so much of a slog I need to faff around I'll probably drop it or just B line to the credits when I get annoyed. I'm hoping the game isn't that badly designed/structured though. I do like doing side content so I'm planning to do all the side stuff I enjoy and then move onto main quests when I'm at the right level

Yeah, give it a try. It's cool.
I also recommend turning off a bunch of unnecessary hud options, so it gives more screen space to enjoy the graphics.

Yeah I've started with exploration. Seems ok so far as the game does pretty much tell you where things are. What I hate though is Ubisoft have the worst options menus

I went into the HDR menu and had to fire up Origins to see what settings I used there. The way they explain it is awful and makes no sense. I had to Google what to do when I played Origins so copied over those settings

Then the HUD menu lists a million things without explaining what they are. You basically have to start with them all on and then turn them off as you start to realise what they all do as you sink a few hours into the game

Like, coming into the game blind, how the fuck is anyone meant to know what Region Widget means, and if they should have that on or off? What about Celebrations?

I had an hour to play last night and I had to twice go to Google on my phone to even understand the options menu. So I've only played about 40mins so far. I like what I have played so far, but starting Ubisoft games can be a chore when the options are so obtuse

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I just got to Naxos as part of the main story and haha what the fuck

so after not seeing her for over a decade and still not knowing who her father is Kassandra doesn't seem to badger her mother about her actual father at all and then Kassandra is going on and on about how amazing a leader her mom is and how amazing Naxos is. How the fuck would she know she's been here for like 10 minutes

I've heard the family stuff gets even worse by the end so I'm morbidly interested now

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm not really interested in Uplay stuff (I skip it in every Ubisoft game) and also not interested in spending real money.
You're missing out on free stuff. In Odyssey that includes:

- Ship lieutenants including Aya and Bayek.
- Gang members for the boat, including the excellent bowler hat wearing gang from Syndicate, and the Assassins.
- Various ship skins.
- Armors including Ezio's Roman set.

The Uplay rewards are also how I got 20% off the already discounted price of Odyssey Gold Edition last year, by cashing in 100 points.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You're missing out on free stuff. In Odyssey that includes:

- Ship lieutenants including Aya and Bayek.
- Gang members for the boat, including the excellent bowler hat wearing gang from Syndicate, and the Assassins.
- Various ship skins.
- Armors including Ezio's Roman set.

The Uplay rewards are also how I got 20% off the already discounted price of Odyssey Gold Edition last year, by cashing in 100 points.

Lol I actually hate cross over stuff

I got a flaming horse in Origins and immediately sold it because it's a game set in ancient Egypt, why would I have a flaming mount?

So I'd probably be more annoyed at seeing other assassin's from other time periods showing up

It's cool that it's there for people who like it, but I'd never use that stuff anyway

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad people are still discovering this game a year and a half after release, and how different it's become over that time with all the new stat modifications, loadouts, and such. I just finally got to Atlantis Episode 3 myself, level 67 Kassandra. Since I'm usually terrible at making focused RPG builds, I've accidentally geared and leveled up in such a way that is an all-damage build which has made boss fights go relatively quick if not always easy. I haven't even touched most of the super-powered ranged abilities or the time-shifting abilities, so I probably could do a run-through of the game a completely different way, if I had the time.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm finally getting around to Odyssey with the last Assassin's game I played was probably... 3? Besides watching a friend play alittle of Black Flag. Yeah I'm really liking it so far the series has obviously come a looong way since I last saw it hahaha playing on Normal which I never usually do but I'm enjoying feeling like a badass and just taking it easy enjoying the story

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
I started this yesterday after picking it up cheap a few months ago. Really fun so far and quests have mostly been interesting. About half way through chapter 1 now.

Anything major I should know to do/avoid?

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I started this yesterday after picking it up cheap a few months ago. Really fun so far and quests have mostly been interesting. About half way through chapter 1 now.

Nope, just do what you want, don't feel the need to do everything you see because it can sometimes lead to burnout.

Just have fun!

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Nope. You should do at least some of the side quests to keep your level up, but you don't need to do anywhere near all of them. You can ignore the quests with egg timers, they're generated infinitely. My suggestion is change level scaling to +2, so that if you enter a region far above the listed max level you at least feel like you've made some progress in the game (otherwise most enemies will be at your level), and also bump up the difficulty to hard so that fights against mercenaries and bosses stay interesting.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
So to join the rest, I've had this lying about since Christmas just after it came out and decided I should probably get on with it seeing as the new one is out later this year, I also bought the season pass when it was on sale recently knowing I'd get to it one day. I said it in the Valhalla topic, but there's always been something magical about having an Assassin's Creed game on a new platform, AC on PS3 game, Liberation on Vita, Black Flag On PS4.

I'm just at the start of Chapter 3 at the moment. It's good, the combat feels slightly more iffy that Origins, but it could be that I'm just missing having a shield. I'm not a fan of parry being two button presses at the same time but it looks like the controls are pretty customisable from looking at the menu's so I'll have to play around, maybe there's a way of stick both parry buttons on one button.

Visually it isn't as striking as Origins was, probably because there's a little more going on than miles and miles of desert, it's also a bit muddy at times, and the slow loading of the occasional texture is making me long for next-gen.

I love the visual customisation the game has though, it's the sort of thing the series should have had several games ago, I know its a system games like MMO's have had for a long time. But it's so great not having to worry about how armour looks because you can dress up however you like.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Nice looking horse at the special vendor this week, Pyrios. For those new to the game, you'll need that special blue currency oricalchum, which you get mostly from doing the daily (1 x 10 currency) and weekly (2 x 42 currency I think) quests.

92-1565745673-931003656.jpeg

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
I just started the game back up after months of not playing. Of course I had left off in the middle of the ocean, that's the reason I haven't touched the game for so long. I don't enjoy the naval combat or just traveling on water and having to worry about getting into conflict with other ships out there. Is there an upgrade strategy for the ship that leads to essentially cheesing all naval combat? I'm pretty early on in the game, only level 15. I upgraded my arrows, weapons damage, and the hull as far as I could, but I'm just wondering if there's some broken upgrades that will help me steamroll all ship encounters. Thanks!

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I just started the game back up after months of not playing. Of course I had left off in the middle of the ocean, that's the reason I haven't touched the game for so long. I don't enjoy the naval combat or just traveling on water and having to worry about getting into conflict with other ships out there. Is there an upgrade strategy for the ship that leads to essentially cheesing all naval combat? I'm pretty early on in the game, only level 15. I upgraded my arrows, weapons damage, and the hull as far as I could, but I'm just wondering if there's some broken upgrades that will help me steamroll all ship encounters. Thanks!
Not really. Shame you're not enjoying it, I love it. You'd best avoid Black Flag and Rogue too then.

Make sure to install a few captains. You can acquire good ones by defeating mercenaries non-lethally, a spartan kick to finish them will do that. Or buy them from the special vendor up north with your blue currency, remember his small inventory changes weekly. Best to get the legendary rated ones (view them with your eagle before fighting, to check). You'll want to do the obvious ship upgrades too. As you level up, you'll acquire wood and other materials much faster, which helps a lot. Also when fighting, focus on one ship, hold block as needed, and if your ship health is below half and there are more ships to destroy then board it, which should return some ship health.