• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character are you playing as??

• Kassandra

Votes: 1,964 77.7%
  • Alexios

Votes: 565 22.3%

• Total voters

Soviet

Oct 28, 2017
Here are my thoughts. I like the game, but...

Disclaimer: this is coming from a fan who likes the modern-day lore, "Animus stuff" and even liked the movie. A bit.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate was the last Assassin's Creed. What Ubisoft is serving now is an action game and the only connection to Assassin's Creed is... I don't really know what. You don't feels like an assassin anymore when, after carefully planned sneaking efforts, all you get is lowering HP bar by half. What happened with the mind blowing pushing through the crowd, showcased in that amazing Assassin's Creed 1 trailer in 2011?

In search for the broadest possible market share Assassin's Creed Odyssey has completely lost its identity. Origin was a good indicator that this is happening, but Odyssey pushes even further. (If you look closely, you can notice that the same thing happened to Far Cry after Far Cry 3). This is not an Assassin's Creed game, but a set of question marks to put a checkmark below. I'd say this game has sometimes more in common with Viscera Cleanup Detail than Assassin's Creed Syndicate.

Don't you guys miss the older days, when climbing one of the amazing landmark historical building was almost like a mini-puzzle and you had to find the right path? All you have to do now is press Shift. Shit, you can even press Z, lean back and watch as the character auto-climbs everything. Synchronizing used to be an event. Now you have 80 points to synchronize, but 40 of them are trees over some ledge, 30 are the same temple roof, and only a handful are actually somewhat interesting. Where are the cool parkour-only challenge tombs? The only challenge when visiting a tomb in Odyssey are snakes placed here and there.

AC1 was heavily criticized for the repetition in boss fights, but now the Cult menu is somehow the most amazing addition? The only difference is that AC1 was a 12 hours game, so it was more painful than in 100+ hours Odyssey, where you literally just kill random NPCs on the streets. The only fight with any twist in the entire game is
a god damn boar that farts
. No planning, sneaking, assassination. This series has lost all of it.

Calling this game an RPG must be a cruel joke. Yes, the main storyline is quite interesting with the family stuff and all, but 90% of the quest (and the whole level-gating) serves only one purpose: to send you somewhere you haven't been, to checkmark more question marks. And I swear that every cave entrance looks exactly the same in Odyssey. Notice the small things where the game shines the most: it has amazing facial animations and proper cutscenes for missions. These are things that had to be touched by human hand, not another copy-pasted enemy camp.

I could go on. The new combat system is great and is easily the best thing in the game, but where are the crazy finishing animations that Evie could pull? We used to criticize Ubisoft for having to climb towers in every game. Since then they replaced any kind of soul from both Assassin's Creed and Far Cry and no one bats an eye. People criticized Dragon Age Inquision for being an MMO in single-player skin, while this is exactly what Assassin's Creed Odyssey is.

Anyway, rant over. I hope Assassin's Creed will make a comeback.

PS. Did you guys noticed how lazy the AI work is in this game? Barely any guards move and when you kill a guard from one position, almost immediately some other dude moves to take the same position. If you're patient and hide the body, you can eliminate half of a fort from one set of three bushes. It's almost like they're programmed to always occupy set spots, not move along routes, like in proper stealth games. Weird.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I'll see your 20 hours and raise you 60 hours lol. It's funny because I used the horse/camel a lot in Origins, but haven't used it in Odyssey.
I don't blame you, Phobos is blah to use and they still didn't get rid of the reduced speed when close to settlements which is just annoying.

Anyway, good progress again today! Up to Messenia to meet the aptly named
Testikles
Took over Boeotia and killed Stentor.
I'll head to Arkadia soon. Also I'm 5 levels away from LV50.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone has the 2 location unlock on Nisyros? Can you give me a screenshot? There's only 1 location for me

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
If Ubisoft manage to fix all the performance issues this game could end up being one of my top 3 for the year despite how much bloat and stupid shit it has.
What platform are you on? I'm actually surprised at how decently it runs overall on my X. Not saying it's perfect, but it's probably one of the best running AC games to date (X version at least).

As for the whole XP booster scandal, the game definitely gives a "grindy" vibe. I mean, I'm the kind of player who likes to "100%" these "uncover all question marks" open-worlds, so I actually like that I'm not at max level after completing only a few regions, but I can see why someone who's more of a """casual""" player can be frustrated at how the game expects you to engage quite a bit in the "side" activities, even if you obviously don't need to clean sweep every area you encounter.

Nighte

May 19, 2018
Stupid question I know but I cant serm to figure it out... how do you call your boat from a boat Dock? Im at the icon for where you can dock but no key press does anything. On ps4 btw:)

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
After hearing the guys on splitsscreen gush about Odyssey, I'm wondering if I should give it a chance.

I liked origins ok enough, but the generic weapons, outfits, and disjointed story really turned me off. I don't expect some epic quest, but a bit more coherent story would be enough..

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Malakas (Greek: μαλάκας [ma.ˈla.kas]) is a Greek slang word, with a variety of different meanings. The meaning varies depending on the tone and context used. It can be an exclamation of pleasure, an expression of dark horror, a cry of anger, a paean of affection, and other different things besides its literal equivalent, which in British English is "wanker".[1] Common alternative meanings include "asshole" or "jerk", and the contrasting "dude", or "mate", depending on the context.[2]

I chuckle everytime I hear this because it reminds me of a GTAIV taxi driver NPC who yells "STUPID MALAKA" when you hit his car.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
What platform are you on? I'm actually surprised at how decently it runs overall on my X. Not saying it's perfect, but it's probably one of the best running AC games to date (X version at least).

As for the whole XP booster scandal, the game definitely gives a "grindy" vibe. I mean, I'm the kind of player who likes to "100%" these "uncover all question marks" open-worlds, so I actually like that I'm not at max level after completing only a few regions, but I can see why someone who's more of a """casual""" player can be frustrated at how the game expects you to engage quite a bit in the "side" activities, even if you obviously don't need to clean sweep every area you encounter.

1X. Game is pretty much constantly hitching to 28-29fps around cities and occsasionally pauses for half a second randomly. Game definitely isn't what I would consider smooth, Origins definitely ran a lot better even if the controls felt more sluggish.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stupid question I know but I cant serm to figure it out... how do you call your boat from a boat Dock? Im at the icon for where you can dock but no key press does anything. On ps4 btw:)

You might be "under investigation" by some random enemy, which doesn't let you summon the boat (or meditate to to turn day into night). Happened to me before, had to save and quit and reload to get it working.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got the Herme's Homie trophy/achievement? They say there's 2 area on Nisyros but i'm only seeing 1 outline/border. Anyone can help?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
So here's something I'm still not sure about. Are the followers of ares cult (those lovely chaps you find in various ? Iocations that are super dismembering, impaling and cannibalism) the same as the cult of kosmos or are they just another random cult?

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
So beat 68 hours to beat all major story quests probably could of done it faster if I wasnt goofing around. Now to attempt to beat all the other side quests.
Also made the mistake of showing my wife the unicorn rainbow horse so whenever she watches mr play, thats the horse I have to use and woe be upon me if it gets hurt.

maped

Mar 7, 2018

I would be that casual player, I rarely finish games these days and am not a big fan of or very good at difficult combat, and yet I really enjoy this game. I'm ~35 hours in, level 26, varying between normal and hard and specced in to assassin tree with a bit of hunter and I'm pretty much playing this as a stealth game. The level scaling keeps the game interesting and stops me from just grinding and overleveling and trivializing the difficulty that way. That makes it actually enjoyable to explore and discover new things, instead of just looking to get to the next level. The scaling can feel a bit harsh at times, but at least for now, I'd rather have it than not. And just the fact that there is so much to do in the game, if none of it interests you or is enjoyable enough to get through the game, well, just maybe stop playing. That's what I do with most games, when I loose interest, I just drop them.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So here's something I'm still not sure about. Are the followers of ares cult (those lovely chaps you find in various ? Iocations that are super dismembering, impaling and cannibalism) the same as the cult of kosmos or are they just another random cult?

Every branch in the Cultist menu screen is a different cult. You can see the name of the cult by the cultist's name. But they all have the same leader.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm around 15 hours in and loving it so far, that being said, what's the big thing around this point that's meant to make the game better?, I might have already encountered it, but I'm curious.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

AC2 knocked it out of the park, and Bro and Rev were solid follow-ups. But 3/4/Unity/Syndicate were awful games (Rogue was surprisingly great given its constraints), so I can't lament the approach taken by Origins and Odyssey, which are at least good games if not good AC games.

I'd love to see social stealth, fulfilling climbing, and platforming puzzles again, of course, but the series moved away from all of that post-Ezio.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Here are my thoughts. I like the game, but...

Disclaimer: this is coming from a fan who likes the modern-day lore, "Animus stuff" and even liked the movie. A bit.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate was the last Assassin's Creed. What Ubisoft is serving now is an action game and the only connection to Assassin's Creed is... I don't really know what. You don't feels like an assassin anymore when, after carefully planned sneaking efforts, all you get is lowering HP bar by half. What happened with the mind blowing pushing through the crowd, showcased in that amazing Assassin's Creed 1 trailer in 2011?

In search for the broadest possible market share Assassin's Creed Odyssey has completely lost its identity. Origin was a good indicator that this is happening, but Odyssey pushes even further. (If you look closely, you can notice that the same thing happened to Far Cry after Far Cry 3). This is not an Assassin's Creed game, but a set of question marks to put a checkmark below. I'd say this game has sometimes more in common with Viscera Cleanup Detail than Assassin's Creed Syndicate.

Don't you guys miss the older days, when climbing one of the amazing landmark historical building was almost like a mini-puzzle and you had to find the right path? All you have to do now is press Shift. Shit, you can even press Z, lean back and watch as the character auto-climbs everything. Synchronizing used to be an event. Now you have 80 points to synchronize, but 40 of them are trees over some ledge, 30 are the same temple roof, and only a handful are actually somewhat interesting. Where are the cool parkour-only challenge tombs? The only challenge when visiting a tomb in Odyssey are snakes placed here and there.

AC1 was heavily criticized for the repetition in boss fights, but now the Cult menu is somehow the most amazing addition? The only difference is that AC1 was a 12 hours game, so it was more painful than in 100+ hours Odyssey, where you literally just kill random NPCs on the streets. The only fight with any twist in the entire game is
a god damn boar that farts
. No planning, sneaking, assassination. This series has lost all of it.

Calling this game an RPG must be a cruel joke. Yes, the main storyline is quite interesting with the family stuff and all, but 90% of the quest (and the whole level-gating) serves only one purpose: to send you somewhere you haven't been, to checkmark more question marks. And I swear that every cave entrance looks exactly the same in Odyssey. Notice the small things where the game shines the most: it has amazing facial animations and proper cutscenes for missions. These are things that had to be touched by human hand, not another copy-pasted enemy camp.

I could go on. The new combat system is great and is easily the best thing in the game, but where are the crazy finishing animations that Evie could pull? We used to criticize Ubisoft for having to climb towers in every game. Since then they replaced any kind of soul from both Assassin's Creed and Far Cry and no one bats an eye. People criticized Dragon Age Inquision for being an MMO in single-player skin, while this is exactly what Assassin's Creed Odyssey is.

PS. Did you guys noticed how lazy the AI work is in this game? Barely any guards move and when you kill a guard from one position, almost immediately some other dude moves to take the same position. If you're patient and hide the body, you can eliminate half of a fort from one set of three bushes. It's almost like they're programmed to always occupy set spots, not move along routes, like in proper stealth games. Weird.

I have to agree that removal of social stealth in Origins and Odyssey is disappointing.

BUT,

AC is evolving series, and they are finally doing something different. How many times everyone complained that they release the same AC game every year? "Hurr dur, climb towers, backstab people, that's all you do!".

Is walking through the crowd with protagonist touching everybody really the "identity of Assassin's Creed"? How long did this mechanic went on until people didn't care about it because it wasn't a good addition to gameplay? Is pushing through the crowd really such an amazing signature mechanic that should stay for more than 10 entries in the series? Maybe the original AC trailer is just nostalgia?

For me the closest thing to "identity" in AC games has always been the fight for control between large organisation that wants to secretly manipulate society and the partisan forces that seek to prevent it and keep power in people's hands. From what I've played, all entries have been this way, nothing changed in Origins or Odyssey.

Speaking about RPG, I don't think anyone calls this game an actual RPG. It's still an action game, just with added RPG mechanics. I actually wished series had something like this since playing AC 1. The implementation is maybe not the best, but it's a good base to add some depth. Also Odyssey also fixes a major issue with Origins: ability to decline side-quests or affect their outcome - in Origins I felt like a puppet, forced to do any errand anyone tells me to do.

There's one complaint I agree on - the game is wide, but shallow, but AC series have been like this since forever. I wish Ubisoft would take more risks to add more variety and depth, but this is their flagship game - it has to be safe. They have a few trusted and tested mechanics that are repeated over and over again, which, imo, is why everyone considers AC series to be 8/10, which in Ubisoft's eyes is good enough to sell millions.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Anyone got the Herme's Homie trophy/achievement? They say there's 2 area on Nisyros but i'm only seeing 1 outline/border. Anyone can help?

It was only one area there for me.

I was missing a section of the mountain between Messenia and Lakonia. And even after getting that the trophy had a delay popping up.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
never really used it until recently but I've really grown to love the shadow of nyx skill these last couple of hours, I running a super glass-canon assassin build (with the 00% dmg and health reduced to 25% trait) so it's really ncie to just vanish at will if you get caught. Or you can be bold and just use it offensively and be Predator, and instead of flanking guards and shit you just go straight at them invisible, and the adrenaline you get back from killing guards is enough to offset the one you used to walk around invisible. And that's without the set bonus, I need to go wack that on aswell.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Got my Platinum Trophy after 65 hours. I loved this game. I've been hot and cold on Assassin's Creed over the past few years, my interest waning with each game after Black Flag (particularly playing Unity at launch on a PS4), but I feel like Odyssey has rekindled the fire and now I'm all the way back in. I found myself really enjoying both sides of the story, past and future, and I'm really excited to see more. I can't wait to see what that second bit of story content in the Season Pass is, and I really, really hope they do some cool stuff with a certain revelation in this game's final-est, true-est, secret-est ending in future games.

In conclusion, Kassandra is the best, and here's a screenshot I took of her when her hair failed to load in properly one time and she looked even Yaaas-Queen-er than usual:

Ez5jzNN.png

#FIERCE #MALAKES

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
The game is so much more fun after I specced for Hussassin. The Warrior tree is weak outside Spartan Kick and the heal.

Also, Kassandra looks like the chef Rosio Sanchez.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The level scaling keeps the game interesting and stops me from just grinding and overleveling and trivializing the difficulty that way.
Yes, so far that works surprisingly well. You can visit "lower level" areas and still have a semi-decent challenge while also feeling at an advantage.

1X. Game is pretty much constantly hitching to 28-29fps around cities and occsasionally pauses for half a second randomly. Game definitely isn't what I would consider smooth, Origins definitely ran a lot better even if the controls felt more sluggish.
Arf, didn't hit any big city yet. Maybe I'll get performance issues too then. I definitely don't have half-second stutters though. Are you playing on internal HDD or external one?

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone playing on X and getting tons of hitches? My game will freeze for 5-10 seconds, then resume. Happened about 10 times in 30+ hours but I think it's getting more common. Memory issue?

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Don't sleep on the weapon's master ability. The bonus damage for completing combos with both light and heavy attacks makes melee combat much more satisfying and powerful.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Malakas (Greek: μαλάκας [ma.ˈla.kas]) is a Greek slang word, with a variety of different meanings. The meaning varies depending on the tone and context used. It can be an exclamation of pleasure, an expression of dark horror, a cry of anger, a paean of affection, and other different things besides its literal equivalent, which in British English is "wanker".[1] Common alternative meanings include "asshole" or "jerk", and the contrasting "dude", or "mate", depending on the context.[2]
Yup, we use this word in a negative way, "ti malakas!!!" = "what an asshole!" but also to make fun of a friend who did something stupid "ti malakas eisai?" ~ "dude what the hell?" and of course we just call our male friends that "re malaka!" = "dude!".

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone playing on X and getting tons of hitches? My game will freeze for 5-10 seconds, then resume. Happened about 10 times in 30+ hours but I think it's getting more common. Memory issue?

Yes, a few of us have mentioned it. Please go on the Ubisoft forums and post about it. They're responding directly to some posts.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
for those that finished it, Achaia is a main story zone right? It's the only left but
I'm back in Athens now after being captured /escaping
and I dont want the game suddenly to end without me doing all the zones (yes I know you can go back in after you finish it, I like to do everything before finishing games, its a silly pet peeve of mine)

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Yup, we use this word in a negative way, "ti malakas!!!" = "what an asshole!" but also to make fun of a friend who did something stupid "ti malakas eisai?" ~ "dude what the hell?" and of course we just call our male friends that "re malaka!" = "dude!".

A lot of females use it too.Especially the young ones.
A lot of Greek girls in general are a mouthful :P

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
A lot of females use it too.Especially the young ones.
A lot of Greek girls in general are a mouthful :P
True. Funny thing is that male to male use it, female to female use it but male to female not that much at least in my age, 30+. Oh and there's the use of malaka for plain shock, not addressing anyone, like when I entered resetera and read that the new AC would be in Ancient Greece I was like "MALAKA!!!".

Oct 25, 2017
never really used it until recently but I've really grown to love the shadow of nyx skill these last couple of hours, I running a super glass-canon assassin build (with the 00% dmg and health reduced to 25% trait) so it's really ncie to just vanish at will if you get caught. Or you can be bold and just use it offensively and be Predator, and instead of flanking guards and shit you just go straight at them invisible, and the adrenaline you get back from killing guards is enough to offset the one you used to walk around invisible. And that's without the set bonus, I need to go wack that on aswell.
It works great in tandem with the hunter passive that refills partial adrenaline segments. You can go invisible for short bursts for essentially free.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
True. Funny thing is that male to male use it, female to female use it but male to female not that much at least in my age, 30+. Oh and there's the use of malaka for plain shock, not addressing anyone, like when I entered resetera and read that the new AC would be in Ancient Greece I was like "MALAKA!!!".

Was there this much swearing in Origins as well? Odessey is like watching Narco's but Puta replaced with Malaka. Or are ancient greek born with that much potty mouth?

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I can't find the Eyes of Kosmos cult member with the description "A Cultist owns a quarry and a slave operation in Attika. Help people nearby".

I've done all quests in Attika [which led me to a completely different Cultist], visited every marker.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I'm playing through Origin's DLC, I am now really excited to see what crazy shit they end up doing for Odyssey. Origin's DLC is legitimately fucking crazy for an AC game.

thedas

Jul 25, 2018
I can't find the Eyes of Kosmos cult member with the description "A Cultist owns a quarry and a slave operation in Attika. Help people nearby".

I've done all quests in Attika [which led me to a completely different Cultist], visited every marker.

Anyone have a suggestion?
Do the main quest, then do the Sokrates side quests.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Anyone find the Battle Cry of Ares ability to be pretty mediocre? Have it at max rank and it doesn't really feel like I'm doing +50% damage and the "enemy attacks are all non-lethal" seems misplaced since enemy attacks are still damn lethal. Unless it means you can't die with it active?
Welp, cleared every region, hit lvl 50 and became the rank one mercenary... Time to start with the story. Haven't touched a mission since I got my ship xD
Heh, no wrong way to play a game in my opinion but honestly this feels like it'd mess with the flow of everything to me. Exploring regions, doing sidequests and weaving a story mission here and there organically through it all feels like the best pacing and experience to me.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got Odyssey for free and wasn't expecting to like it - the last Assassin's Creed I played was a few hours of 1 & 2, both of which I found to be boring. 10 hours into Odyssey and I love it, one of the rare open world games where I'm excited to do every little thing.
Feels like a better Breath of the Wild.

That said, are any of the other Assassins' Creed games like this? The franchise clearly has changed over the years but do any come close to Odyssey? (i.e. an open world RPG with climbing and fun combat)

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Was there this much swearing in Origins as well? Odessey is like watching Narco's but Puta replaced with Malaka. Or are ancient greek born with that much potty mouth?

Origins had their own "Malaka" yep. Can't remember it now...

That said, are any of the other Assassins' Creed games like this? The franchise clearly has changed over the years but do any come close to Odyssey? (i.e. an open world RPG with climbing and fun combat)

Origins is pretty much like Odyssey. Rest are really different. Origins was the "reboot" in terms of game structure and design and Odyssey followed that.

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone find the Battle Cry of Ares ability to be pretty mediocre? Have it at max rank and it doesn't really feel like I'm doing +50% damage and the "enemy attacks are all non-lethal" seems misplaced since enemy attacks are still damn lethal. Unless it means you can't die with it active?

Heh, no wrong way to play a game in my opinion but honestly this feels like it'd mess with the flow of everything to me. Exploring regions, doing sidequests and weaving a story mission here and there organically through it all feels like the best pacing and experience to me.
Warrior damage is so pathetic it's not worth upgrading ever. Better to have more damage on hero strike, assuming you use it whenever it's off cooldown.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I got Odyssey for free and wasn't expecting to like it - the last Assassin's Creed I played was a few hours of 1 & 2, both of which I found to be boring. 10 hours into Odyssey and I love it, one of the rare open world games where I'm excited to do every little thing.
Feels like a better Breath of the Wild.

Origins, the game released last year, is the same formula as Odyssey. You explore Egypt at your own leisure, helping people out or battling crocodiles and hippos.