• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character are you playing as??

• Kassandra

Votes: 1,964 77.7%
  • Alexios

Votes: 565 22.3%

• Total voters

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Holy SHIT that (sidequest spoiler)

Minotaur quest line. I was not expecting an actual Minotaur, just thought it'd end up having some real world explanation or a man. Seems the First Civ are involved, that was absolutely wild.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Saveable gear sets to switch between out of combat would be a real boon for switching between things like fort clearing and region battles.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Project Stream is nearly unplayable today for me. And my speeds are checking out fine, so I'm guessing it's something on Google's end.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Going forward I really hope they just drop the repetitive sidequests from the message board/hourglass style (not the sidequests that have an actual story to them). it is one of the few disappointments at just how bloated it makes the quests feel, they are pretty much just all "go kill x sharks/deliver this" quest that just have random npc's attached and no real storyline or anything of worth, just busy-work for you.

I'd rather have 50 well designed and interesting sidequests then having 200 of these mundane storyless "quests" that exist mainly for padding and getting exp.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
You can assassinate attack anyone on alert who has a ? over their heads. I've done this so many times where I run around a corner or climb up a structure and they lose track of me only for me to leap down and stab them. They may have to reach your previously seen location before entering the ? state.

Actually I think it might just be "golden" enemies like Captains that I can't do it to unless they're completely unaware.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Going forward I really hope they just drop the repetitive sidequests from the message board/hourglass style (not the sidequests that have an actual story to them). it is one of the few disappointments at just how bloated it makes the quests feel, they are pretty much just all "go kill x sharks/deliver this" quest that just have random npc's attached and no real storyline or anything of worth, just busy-work for you.

I'd rather have 50 well designed and interesting sidequests then having 200 of these mundane storyless "quests" that exist mainly for padding and getting exp.

They didnt cut 50 interesting quests to make 200 bounty quests
They didnt cut a single one actually, they're randomly generated, like radiant quests in bethesda games, and are there exactly just for padding and exp. Thankfully you can completely ignore them.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I completely ignored the message board quests except for the daily/weekly ones. Then I had to go do 20 of them for an achievement. They're fine if you just pick them up and ignore them while you go about your business. I finished a bunch of them just by doing other stuff.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I completely ignored the message board quests except for the daily/weekly ones. Then I had to go do 20 of them for an achievement. They're fine if you just pick them up and ignore them while you go about your business. I finished a bunch of them just by doing other stuff.

These are contracts, you should totally pick all the contracts you see. The only effort you have is clicking "accept", you complete them naturally by just doing stuff in other quests.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I still have yet to see any consequences, and according to the trophy list I'm halfway through the main story. Kass keeps talking about going back to Kepphalonia to check on it for Phoibe, but I've gone back two or three times and I can't actually DO anything there. There's no quests left, the mission board there is empty, and the whole place just seems completely content-dead.
You're definitely not halfway through the story if you haven't encountered Phoibe again.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You know... i am not sure it's a main quest, because i am pretty sure you can continue your merry way with you know whom without going where this leads. In fact i got 3 of the 4 things much before i was told what it was all about, i only lacked one by the time i was tasked to, every other being given by sidequests (i loved the "God one").
Only you know whom advances the chapters in the chapters counter... So i take the game as having 2 side-endings and one main ending.
I may be wrong, if you cannot continue to the main ending without that optional one... but i have no way of knowing since i did it all in a messy order xD

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I mentioned Ciri, if that's what you consider a good example i don't know what to tell you. It was extremely dumb how they decided the fate of a major character in such a shitty way (picking throwaway and inconsequential dialogue lines in a couple of minor situations) specially for a game like Witcher.

as for an example in odyssey
i'm locked of entire questlines in messara because while doing the fake minotaur quests in pephka i was kind of a murderous dick to most people involved. the only one i didnt murder crossed over and badmouthed me to everyone else. people barely want to talk to me in there.

are you people even reading the post you're disagreeing with

i mentioned the split in witcher II as well as a good example (and no there's nothing like it in odyssey. or most games)

So you were a murderous dick to people in a town and those people had quests that they locked you out of because of those decisions? I mean, that's one way to accomplish it I suppose.

The Bloody Baron example I gave, which you didn't address, was great precisely because first of all they did a masterful job setting him up as a character people should care about. Then, they ask you to make a decision in which there is no clearly right or wrong answer, you have to weigh your decisions and you cannot foresee how it would affect him and his wife. Then, you have to deal with the fallout of seeing him hang from a tree.

I glossed over your line about Ciri because I thought you were talking about Witcher 2 in that paragraph and being that I've played that game half a dozen times I know about the major choice and consequence in that game, sorry. The Ciri dialogue choice was meant to make it more instinctual. A lot of them were timed, and the way that you truly failed it was if you failed on several different occasions. It was naturally done and having those choices on a time restriction made sure of that. Playing as Geralt, your choices needed to align with the idea that Ciri was a strong independent woman and your choices needed to support her in that, not to be controlling. I will admit the snowball fight was not as clear as it should have been but you need to mess up multiple times to get the bad ending and honestly even the bad ending had strong emotional resonance. It was a pretty major theme for her character throughout the game as everyone was trying to decide what was best for her without including her in it.

nowhoney

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm level 42 and I'm in the middle of Act 4. I tried to eliminate as much grinding as possible early on, so do you guys think I'll be OK to just main-line the story now, essentially?

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
I finished a story quest and it was lvl 26 I think, the next one is lvl 31.. :|

I did an important side quest and the next one doesn't show the locations, just name of the area, I need to collect 4 artifacts.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I mean Kass TOLD Phoibe (in the areas she shows up in the game later on) she'd go back and check on Kephallonia. She's said it to her twice now and both times I went back and nothing was different.
Oh I thought you were saying check in on Phoibe in Kephallonia. Yeah, I went back there to use the fast travel point to go somewhere nearby and nothing seemed different.

I've not finished the main quest so I can't speak of choice and consequences there, but side quests, and some elaborate side quest chains, absolutely have some very dramatic divergences based on your choices. I really can't say more because they would be spoiled for you.

I recommend the Mykonos quest line for a start.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I thought you were saying check in on Phoibe in Kephallonia. Yeah, I went back there to use the fast travel point to go somewhere nearby and nothing seemed different.

I've not finished the main quest so I can't speak of choice and consequences there, but side quests, and some elaborate side quest chains, absolutely have some very dramatic divergences based on your choices. I really can't say more because they would be spoiled for you.

I recommend the Mykonos quest line for a start.

I think I'm still too low-level to go to Mykonos, but I'll keep that in mind when I get closer to 30.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Dagger questline was good. Any other interesting islands I should check out? Mainly interested in the questlines that are dealing with character stories or the weirder side stuff. Not into politics or war-related quests.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I've been wondering: the default Adrestia skin icon shows it with red sails with a golden eagle. But ingame it has white sails with a red eagle on it. Is this linked to ship upgrades? Last I checked I was at 66,67%.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If i just completed the three missions after meeting
Perikles
how far into the main story am i?

bitunoriginal

Oct 27, 2017
Well, having played for 12 hours (I know...barely dipped a toe), the game is really starting to click with me. I had little to no interest in this since the reveal despite being a fan of origins, but I bought it to tide me over until RDR2 expecting not to like it.

How wrong I was - the world building is fantastic, the story is really engaging and I absolutely love the way they've executed the mercenary for hire vibe. You can get involved in the warring factions or you can ignore it and do whatever gets you were you want to go. The mix of gameplay between story missions, hunting, sailing and influencing regional conflicts flows really nicely. And the map is huge and sublime - super beautiful and exciting to explore. 12 hours in and I'm still very much deciding which side, if any, of the war that to want to support. I like that it's giving me the agency to decide how I want my story to play out in the early stages of the game.

There are a big negatives for me though, the gameplay has clearly been designed around extracting money for microtransactions. It definitely feels like a slog to level up sometimes, and the good gear always seems slightly out of reach or underleveled. Upgrading stuff feels expensive like I never have quite enough resources. I feel they're edging closer to that DLC sweet spot but sadly it's clear that it influenced the design of the game somewhat negatively.

Also, the levelling system seems slightly off to me. If an enemy is a level above you then you can forget about taking them down silently in one hit. Clearing a base with just stealth is a massive challenge because I never feel powerful enough to take down the elite enemies in a stealthy way. In fact, some of the fights last for quite a while and seem fairly challenging which was very much a surprise to me going into an AC game.

I am enjoying the increased difficulty in other ways though - it's forcing me to try something, bungle it and deal with the consequences rather than just reload and try again. I like that you can mess up, have a little scuffle and win without alerting the whole base. It feels really refreshing to have things play out like that - I'm so used to alerting one guard and the entire base starts atracking you in games. Also, for the first time ever - I'm deciding not to just clear an entire base out. I'll go in, steal what I need and get out of there without doing all optional missions, because I know it will actually be really hard.

Anyway, as you can tell - I'm very much enjoying the game and story, and think that overall it's a worth entry in the series, if not let down by a few nagging corporate design decisions.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Well, having played for 12 hours (I know...barely dipped a toe), the game is really starting to click with me. I had little to no interest in this since the reveal despite being a fan of origins, but I bought it to tide me over until RDR2 expecting not to like it.

How wrong I was - the world building is fantastic, the story is really engaging and I absolutely love the way they've executed the mercenary for hire vibe. You can get involved in the warring factions or you can ignore it and do whatever gets you were you want to go. The mix of gameplay between story missions, hunting, sailing and influencing regional conflicts flows really nicely. And the map is huge and sublime - super beautiful and exciting to explore. 12 hours in and I'm still very much deciding which side, if any, of the war that to want to support. I like that it's giving me the agency to decide how I want my story to play out in the early stages of the game.

There are a big negatives for me though, the gameplay has clearly been designed around extracting money for microtransactions. It definitely feels like a slog to level up sometimes, and the good gear always seems slightly out of reach or underleveled. Upgrading stuff feels expensive like I never have quite enough resources. I feel they're edging closer to that DLC sweet spot but sadly it's clear that it influenced the design of the game somewhat negatively.

Also, the levelling system seems slightly off to me. If an enemy is a level above you then you can forget about taking them down silently in one hit. Clearing a base with just stealth is a massive challenge because I never feel powerful enough to take down the elite enemies in a stealthy way. In fact, some of the fights last for quite a while and seem fairly challenging which was very much a surprise to me going into an AC game.

I am enjoying the increased difficulty in other ways though - it's forcing me to try something, bungle it and deal with the consequences rather than just reload and try again. I like that you can mess up, have a little scuffle and win without alerting the whole base. It feels really refreshing to have things play out like that - I'm so used to alerting one guard and the entire base starts atracking you in games. Also, for the first time ever - I'm deciding not to just clear an entire base out. I'll go in, steal what I need and get out of there without doing all optional missions, because I know it will actually be really hard.

Anyway, as you can tell - I'm very much enjoying the game and story, and think that overall it's a worth entry in the series, if not let down by a few nagging corporate design decisions.

What difficulty are you playing at? This can be more important to your complaints as you might think it is

Also, you're still early in the game. Your power (and what power) will come later.

If it serves as a consolation most people in this thread never bought nor felt like buying any of the mtxs so the game is more than fine without them.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Level 30 now and making my way through the smaller islands now, still haven't done the first story mission after leaving the first island, going to be interesting going through the main quest at level 50 but I'm not doing the main quest until every other thing on the map is done!

bitunoriginal

Oct 27, 2017
What difficulty are you playing at? This is more important to your complaints as you might think it is

Also, you're still early in the game. Your power (and what power) will come later.

I have been playing on hard actually - although I did nudge it down to medium and even after reloading didn't feel like I noticed much of a difference so put it back on hard. Taking down the Boar was like a mathematical challenge - respecced so many times!

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
  • 98 hours
  • 100% completion (map/story/quests/achievements)
unknown.png

The next Assassins Creed is going to be wild y'all. I can't wait.

Also if you have any questions or whatever, feel free to ask.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell, I hate fighting mercenaries during story missions. Allied NPCs never help you, and they almost always show up in groups. It's such poorly designed bullshit.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh i've looked at my steam, and only missing one... because i didn't play the quests boards of generic quests. xD
acoacytdts.jpg

I bet the next one will be in Italy, Rome and all... so they can close this tetralogy.
I wish we had ancient Mesopotamia circa 2000 to 1860 BC , but it's too close to Egypt in setting... and except the SMT crowd who know a little about some of their divinities... the kings names ring a bell to nobody.
Seing Ur or Mari recreated... it would have been great.

Aquaman

Oct 27, 2017
Yo the boar is unbeatable wtf. My arrows are going right through him lol even when its red. And his health regen is insane, i hit him with devastator arrow and he immediately heals in 10 seconds.

Is some of this gliching? I can't see how it was possible for anyone to win this...

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Like every year in France, the mag "Historia" sell a Special issue to learn more about the time period the new AC game choose.
HistoriaSpecial_08183_44_1811_1812_181005_SparteContreAthenes_Ubisoft_Couverture.jpg

It's out since last Wednesay and you will learn a lot if you can buy it in France. It can help you to choose between Athena and Sparta!

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
odyssey isn't over
season pass is gonna be goooooood

We'll have to see how they wrap up the Atlantis stuff. It seems like we'll be going into the city. I don't see how they will resolve the Layla being immortal in a single DLC chain, unless they have her destroy the staff which is going to be very, very lame if so.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
  • 98 hours
  • 100% completion (map/story/quests/achievements)
unknown.png

The next Assassins Creed is going to be wild y'all. I can't wait.

Also if you have any questions or whatever, feel free to ask.

Good grief, nicely done!

Question:

Any sort of New Game+ or ability to start over with the other character with some kind of boost? EDIT: I'm not sensitive to spoilers in this case so detailed answer won't bother me, if necessary.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Can't do this mission at all. Every Athenian I kill, even though it's a story quest, counts as a "murder", which ticks my bounty gauge up kill by kill and without question before the end of the fight two bounty hunters show up and swarm me to death.

The Mercenary system is absolute fucking bullshit and should not have been greenlit the way it is.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
There's a weird glitch that keeps happening to me. After the Shroud quest, when I go back to meet Elpenor, his assistant immediately dies after the cutscene. I've reloaded several times and it happens every time. Is this supposed to happen?