• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character are you playing as??

• Kassandra

Votes: 1,964 77.7%
  • Alexios

Votes: 565 22.3%

• Total voters

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
So abput Nikolaos
i didnt kill him.
It s obvious that my family was manipulated.

Im at phokos now i went to see Elpenor and i said i don t trust him. I didn t killed him but two guards attacked me :o i didn t told him about kassandra mother.

I feel like Kassandra is a toy being used by him.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, got attacked by a elite ship near Pephka (fuck me it took ages to sail here), turns out, there was a Cultist inside, which means I'm 9/9 pieces and can get Rank 5 Spear! Time for my 3/3 skills :D

HbBYTSE.jpg
oh awesome, Rank 3 of Hero Strike actually has a different animation :)

Last edited:

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't enjoyed an open world game like this in a long time. The world feels so alive (just now I just let mah Eagle roam around - seeing NPC's actually moving around, fighting wolves, villagers going to the temple etc).

I get similar "woah"-feelings as I did when playing BotW or Witcher (which others also have expressed). Especially on the ship. The vibrant colors, graphics and dialogue choices add to that. Very surprised that an AC game is this good.

Thought I would have been burnt out after playing a good chunk of them. They removed most of what made AC releases feel like the same game - except maybe the melee fights, which are a bit stale (the new abilities are really something though). Minor complaint is that I'd better enjoy the parkour if it was more fluid, like in older games.
TL;DR: This game's surprisingly awesome! :D

Quick question:
Can you remove and re-slot engravings, or are they one time use?

Thanks in advance.
(Please excuse my rambling and crappy English above ;p)

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
So.
We can t jump from the ship at anytime ? There is an island near phoros. I want to go on it but i can t... Why ? :(

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
You need to go on market menu and select her to acquire her

Did , but she doesnt appear in thr ship menu after that.

I just looked it up, and unless what I'm reading is wrong, it does depend on the choices you make throughout the game.

And I see that, twenty hours in, I've made the wrong choices.

Fuck.

uhhm, I don't want to look because spoiler sbut if true that's a big flaw if you ask me. Such long games shoudnt have true endings hidden behind choices scattered through all the playthrough, should be a more "last hours" thing.

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I just hit 20 hours playtime last night, and I'm at level 16. I have to say that I do feel this game is much more of a 'grind' than Origins (which I put about 120 hours into) ever was.

I don't rush these games. Just to be clear. I love taking my long slow time and exploring, but I honestly think I'm having to do far more in the way of the repetitive stuff like clearing forts and camps, in order to keep within the required level of the main story, and surprisingly I feel like there are actually less side quests in each of the areas of the map that I've visited, relative to Origins.

Also, the sheer amount of materials and coin needed to upgrade gear in Odyssey is simply overwhelming. I've given it up as a bad joke. I'm not upgrading anything until I hit the level cap, I'll just save all money and materials and scrap all useless gear until then. By contrast, in Origins I fully upgraded all of Bayek's gear and played around with levelling up different weapons throughout the game. It just doesn't feel possible here, and of course, it doesn't help that those same materials are needed to upgrade a ship this time, which I assume will pretty much be essential at a certain point, or I'll just get blown out of the water by enemy ships?

I don't know about this at all. The game is beautiful, huge and I like the characters and story. I want to lose myself in it, but it really does feel like I'd be having a much better time if I put my hand in my pocket again and paid for the XP and Drachmae boosters or material packs. In fact I'm tempted to do it for no other reason than curiosity, just to see if makes a noticeable difference.

I never felt this way with Origins, at all. Not once did I have a single thought along these lines. It was an incredible, fun experience from start to finish. To repeat, again, I don't rush these games. I explore. I do side quests first.

Odyssey just feels like it's holding me back, to be honest. It's quite disappointing.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I just hit 20 hours playtime last night, and I'm at level 16. I have to say that I do feel this game is much more of a 'grind' than Origins (which I put about 120 hours into) ever was.

I don't rush these games. Just to be clear. I love taking my long slow time and exploring, but I honestly think I'm having to do far more in the way of the repetitive stuff like clearing forts and camps, in order to keep within the required level of the main story, and surprisingly I feel like there are actually less side quests in each of the areas of the map that I've visited, relative to Origins.

Also, the sheer amount of materials and coin needed to upgrade gear in Odyssey is simply overwhelming. I've given it up as a bad joke. I'm not upgrading anything until I hit the level cap, I'll just save all money and materials and scrap all useless gear until then. By contrast, in Origins I fully upgraded all of Bayek's gear and played around with levelling up different weapons throughout the game. It just doesn't feel possible here, and of course, it doesn't help that those same materials are needed to upgrade a ship this time, which I assume will pretty much be essential at a certain point, or I'll just get blown out of the water by enemy ships?

I don't know about this at all. The game is beautiful, huge and I like the characters and story. I want to lose myself in it, but it really does feel like I'd be having a much better time if I put my hand in my pocket again and paid for the XP and Drachmae boosters or material packs. In fact I'm tempted to do it for no other reason than curiosity, just to see if makes a noticeable difference.

I never felt this way with Origins, at all. Not once did I have a single thought along these lines. It was an incredible, fun experience from start to finish. To repeat, again, I don't rush these games. I explore. I do side quests first.

Odyssey just feels like it's holding me back, to be honest. It's quite disappointing.

Don¡t upgrade your gear, you will keep getting new gear of your level from quests, camps etc... you really can avoid upgrading gear till cap, it's different than Origins where you ened to upgrade Bayek because there wasn't gear pieces. With that you'll save a lot of money, that you can use to buy materials (they can be bought in higuer quantities than in Origins"

EDIT:

Evie bug is still in. Ubi please...

Oct 25, 2017
Ran into a wolf that was so strong that I couldn't do damage to it. Thats so damn dumb; why can't it just be a high HP enemy that can really hurt me?

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for posting again, anyone know if engravings are one time use only, or can you remove them and "re-socket" them into new items?

Thanks in advance! :>

Blyr

Oct 27, 2017
I've stopped actively upgrading my gear now, with one caveat: a rare bow I got as a quest reward very early on, I keep it up to par with me, bc it has +hunter damage and +headshot damage and I've been unable to find a bow with both since

(heck I've rarely found bows, period)

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Kassandra's face looks great in normal conversations with her standard set of animations, but oh man when they start doing special one-off animations for really pivotal story scenes? Incredible.

The way she reacts to Phoibi's death, and then the scene where she finally meeting her mother are amazing.

Also every now and then I get a glitch where characters' eyebrows and hair don't seem to load in properly and look really low-res, and when it happens to Kassandra she gets these glorious, thick caterpillars :P

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
uhhm, I don't want to look because spoiler sbut if true that's a big flaw if you ask me. Such long games shoudnt have true endings hidden behind choices scattered through all the playthrough, should be a more "last hours" thing.
There are multiple endings, five or six major decisions that play into the "good ending" so to speak.
The generic advice to achieve that without spoiling story beats is to (goes without saying really): Don't be a dick to or kill major character NPCs during quests if the game offers you an out.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for posting again, anyone know if engravings are one time use only, or can you remove them and "re-socket" them into new items?

Thanks in advance! :>

you can replace them and they are not one time use. Its not gems, when you unlock them, it just gives you the ability to chose them from a list. You can even use the same one in all your pieces of gear.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I just looked it up, and unless what I'm reading is wrong, it does depend on the choices you make throughout the game.

And I see that, twenty hours in, I've made the wrong choices.

Fuck.
I hate that shit. I'm still salty about the Witcher's ending I got. It's not the same watching it on youtube.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I still don't understand the grind complaints at all. I'm around 12 hours in, level 20-ish (can't remember exactly) and I've never gone out of my way to take care of forts, I have done literally one bounty and one extra conquest fight. I just do most of the actual side quests I come across, which a) are absolutely not grinding or grindy and b) are also very much worth it for the most part. If a side quest takes me to a fort I usually clear it, but that usually feels organic in the context of the side quest.

Maybe later on I'll run into problems with level gating, but as it is, the game feels like the least grindy AAA Ubisoft game I've played in a long time.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

26 hours here, and I'm level 27. Did not buy or use any boosts. I haven't once felt "behind" or under-leveled for a story mission yet. It's strange that people seem to be having very different experiences with XP/leveling.

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
you can replace them and they are not one time use. Its not gems, when you unlock them, it just gives you the ability to chose them from a list. You can even use the same one in all your pieces of gear.

Gotcha, thank you very much for explaining! :)
Since I have the resources I'll keep engraving then.

Unrelated, just wanted to share a fun moment, where I realized that you can use Rush Assassination mid-fight as long as you stay out of sight for a second. I fought a guard who saw me - so I circled round a small tent and then used said ability on him, and then found another target and ported to him. So quick and satisfying :D

Probably combo's well with "Vanish" as well. (I'm behind on this game so everyone probably knows about this, but dat teleport assassination is so dope- thought i'd post ;p)

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice, the latest Update added a chest to the ship to store weapons/armour. Finally no more uplay/preorder stuff wasting inventory space. :D

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
There are multiple endings, five or six major decisions that play into the "good ending" so to speak.
The generic advice to achieve that without spoiling story beats is to (goes without saying really): Don't be a dick to or kill major character NPCs during quests if the game offers you an out.

I'm trying to be always the good guy, but sometimes being good goes against you (like that early quest in the first island), but well, I'll try to keep your post in mind.

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand the grind complaints at all. I'm around 12 hours in, level 20-ish (can't remember exactly) and I've never gone out of my way to take care of forts, I have done literally one bounty and one extra conquest fight. I just do most of the actual side quests I come across, which a) are absolutely not grinding or grindy and b) are also very much worth it for the most part. If a side quest takes me to a fort I usually clear it, but that usually feels organic in the context of the side quest.

Maybe later on I'll run into problems with level gating, but as it is, the game feels like the least grindy AAA Ubisoft game I've played in a long time.

Same. 16hrs in and I've not gone out of my way to level up at all.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The combat is similar in a superficial way (e.g the lock-on targetting mechanic) but player movement feels more fluid and the parry system is much more forgiving.

I'd recommend giving it a rent though since a lot of Odyssey involves fighting and if you don't like the combat then the experience might not be the best for you.
Thanks I'll give it a shot. The parry system in origins basically doesn't work for me. I'll try and rent

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ok I've somewhat just finished the opening of the game (so strange to think it was meant to be a small thing) and I thought I was following the story, but now I'm somewhat confused.

So spoiler just in case there are others who haven't finished the opening...
I felt like I was pretty much only accepting the quest from Elpenor to go after The Wolf so that I could have enough money to help Markos, and how he was being pushed around by the Cyclops. Yet now I've defeated the Cyclops in battle so why am I now going after The Wolf and why is there no dialog to discuss with Markos about how the Cyclops is now dead, and therefore seemingly the threat is over?

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, upgrading here is really expensive and not worth it. But the game will constantly throw better stuff at you, and if you like a Legendary's unique ability, the engraving for that ability should become available once you get that weapon or armor and you can attach it to something else for pocket change. This game allows for more gear customization over what was in Origins.

I'm not sure what islands are your in level range, but there should be a few you might want to check out away from the main story that should have a decent amount of sidequests. Many sidequests in the game have multiple parts to them that each offer a substantial amount of XP. Once you hit around level 20-22 go to Crete (the big island on the bottom of the map), that island is crawling with sidequests. And as far as I know the main story's critical path never takes you there.

If you are going to be doing more forts and places like that, check out the message boards. Look for quests that just want you to kill a certain number of a certain type of enemy, or wants you to burn a certain number of war supplies. Random crap like that. Those offer an insane amount of XP for what they ask of you, and you complete them just by exploring. Also message board quests with bounties on mercenaries are good to take as well, the mercenary in question will probably come to you on their own eventually.

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
26 hours here, and I'm level 27. Did not buy or use any boosts. I haven't once felt "behind" or under-leveled for a story mission yet. It's strange that people seem to be having very different experiences with XP/leveling.

Yeah this is weird. Seeing other people's level and hours played, I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong now.

It honestly feels like I'm fully exploring each area. I mean, this is what I do.

I don't know what to say.

Tezu

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I have 20 hours and I'm level 26.

I honestly don't get why some people are taking so long to level up.

I saw people here that explored half of what I did, were at level 14 and had 30 hours.

I guess exploring a lot, getting out of my way to kill mercs and cultists and optimizing my path to do as many side quests as possible in the same area makes a huge difference. I guess so many years of mmos does make a difference, lol.

I never finished Origins (can't stand Byake and the desert). But I entered my save and I had 24 hours and level 31. So it's pretty similar to my speed there.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Game hands you new gear like candy, you don't ever need to upgrade gear, it's just a nice option if you really liked a set which origins was worse for not having. You can't waste all your resources making a set of equip your level every level and then complain about having no resources. Saying you would feel better paying for the XP or drachmae boost makes no sense either, theyre not going to give you all the wood, metal and tablets to upgrade everything every time, thats not what you are supposed to be doing

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I have 20 hours and I'm level 26.

I honestly don't get why some people are taking so long to level up.

I saw people here that explored half of what I did, were at level 14 and had 30 hours.

I guess exploring a lot, getting out of my way to kill mercs and cultists and optimizing my path to do as many side quests as possible in the same area makes a huge difference. I guess so many years of mmos does make a difference, lol.

I never finished Origins (can't stand Byake and the desert). But I entered my save and I had 24 hours and level 31. So it's pretty similar to my speed there.

I compared my Origins save to my Odyssey save just to see about how long it took to hit the level cap. Odyssey took me about 9 more hours, but it also has a cap of 50 where Origin's cap was 40.

Tezu

Oct 25, 2017
I compared my Origins save to my Odyssey save just to see about how long it took to hit the level cap. Odyssey took me about 9 more hours, but it also has a cap of 50 where Origin's cap was 40.

Yeah, I think both are pretty similar.

Odyssey do have a bigger map and so you take more more time going from place to place. I'd say it's OK to take a little bit longer.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
ugh my assassination damage with all my skills 3/3 now is filthy.

FILTHY. I think I can kill polemarchs with the teleport assassination now tbh, I just killed a entire posse of a house leader and his elite guards with 1 teleport (it chains 3 times at 3/3) it was glorious.