• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which character are you playing as??

• Kassandra

Votes: 1,964 77.7%
  • Alexios

Votes: 565 22.3%

• Total voters

Blyr

Oct 27, 2017
The sight is to find jars or other small containers and identify which chest has valuable loot (white/blue/purple/gold markers/dust). Iirc the eagle doesn't reveal the content of a chest, just its location, cannot mark enemies behind more than 1 wall and if of course unaware of objects not on the completion list. I don't think the eagle ever tagged enemies inside a cave for me...

It never revealed any hidden paths for me (it did not highlight around cracks in a wall)
yeah, but you already kinda know what's going to be in a chest by it's design, and the jars aren't really that hard to spot / don't offer much besides like 2-3 drachme

I've been able to get the eagle to spot enemies through caves by going to the entrance and then just looking around, eventually he will tag the leader/gold border, and usually a few enemies too (although I didn't know about the wall limitations, which would explain why he doesn't spot some enemies on lower levels)

even so, the range of the sight is so limited that by the time I could actively tag enemies, they'd have already spotted me, or I'd have spotted them and manually tagged them with my bow

I'm just a bit frustrated with it, bc the one situation in which it would have justified the ability point investment, it simply didn't work at all, so I think I'm just going to respec out of it later

hopefully they patch it and buff it, or do something bc right now it's like you said, a ability that points out the little jars and what color loot to expect from chests

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Don't want to be spoiled but what kinda' difficulty will I see in the Daughters of Artemis hunts? Killing that bloody boar took forever. Really want that epic gear!

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Am I missing something or are torches not actually infinite items? I keep trying to equip one but it's grayed out and nothing happens. Even says I have a torch in my trade goods items. Really hoping I haven't hit a bug of some kind.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
Just reached Athens...

hUitpZX.jpg

its honestly insane. you could make a whole game in that area and it wouldn't feel small.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Blyr, i agree, the range can suck big time :/
You had a good idea playing Ace Combat with you eagle to mark inside a cave xD

Am I missing something or are torches not actually infinite items? I keep trying to equip one but it's grayed out and nothing happens. Even says I have a torch in my trade goods items. Really hoping I haven't hit a bug of some kind.
You most probably have dropped your torch, it happened quite a few times, i had to pick it up from the floor.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Weird thing happened tonight that I forgot to mention. I fought some snake handler just outside Athens, but I didn't account for the snakes he had with him. One attacked me and I took it out, but just as I went back into stealth and triggered the assassination (the handler hadn't noticed me yet at that point) I see something flashing by, followed by a big damage number (10k I think) appearing seemingly out of thin air, above what later turned out to be another snake.

Could that have been Ikaros? I vaguely remember something like that happening in the very beginning of the game, when Ikaros suddenly killed a goat out of nowhere. Back then I thought it was something he did when he was bored or something, but I haven't seen it since. Until now... maybe.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah so I'm a bit confused. So I want to support the Spartans, but now I'm in a Spartan controlled zone where the content is to kill Spartans... What am I supposed to do? Just not do them?

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah so I'm a bit confused. So I want to support the Spartans, but now I'm in a Spartan controlled zone where the content is to kill Spartans... What am I supposed to do? Just not do them?
You can burn supplies, steal tresory, and knock down spartans + recruit (counts as a kill). I only killed spartans on the field (final step) for a few key scenes where the local spartans higher up were up to no good.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized I really really wish mercenaries hunting you had to contend with the same sort of hostility you do from default hostile NPCs. They shouldn't be able to freely trapse into bandit camps, or athenian/spartan military camps, unmolested. They have no more status than you do. Let them fight. When I was fighting the boar near the beginning of the game, I actually lucked into having three bounty hunters show up midfight to try to kill me. They actually made my life easier by eating shit to the hunt, while also doing it for me. I mopped up easily after spending the fight poking in with headshots and the occasional melee.

Blyr

Oct 27, 2017
Kill them all, clear the bases, then if a conquest pops up choose to defend (go to the Spartan camp) instead of the Athenian camp

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Pretty cool character detail in the Serpent's Lair quest:
If you kill any of the guards around the Pythia or get detected, she shows up in the cultist lair about to be tortured for spilling secrets. If you get to the Pythia in her house without killing anyone or being spotted, she's not there.
I hope that this has some consequences later on!

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
My 2 biggest complaints.

I need some damn armor with fucking pants. So far I found one varient type, and it's not enough. I hate that I look like I'm wearing rags underneath some of this fancy stuff.

The cost of upgrading stuff to your level is out if this world. The way the legendary sets are gated off across cult members means you will likely be 20 levels different between your first and last. Meanwhile, the material cost of upgrading a 13 to 22 means I'm likely to only to be able to do it twice before running out. If I hadn't been upgrading my ship at all, maybe 4.

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wish game told you are gonna miss sidequests if you do another quest. Just missed cool questlines end because i did another quest.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
So yeah, this game is huge. Can I count on the game to guide me to each location? Or is it pretty much up to me to wander off during my main missions? I just hit lv15 and my next quest is like 6k away on boat and I passed several locations that looked pretty cool

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Finally picked this up (not sure why since i never finished origins). I just love the AC series and i love the time period . I hope i don't burn out like i did in origins.

What is every ones preferred mode, exploration ? Does it make finding way points e.t.c a lot more time consuming ?

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Finally a Creed game that will end up topping 2 and Black Flag for me. Easily one of the best games this generation, and will seriously give God of War a run for game of the year....and I am still only 22 hours into it....

I feel the same way. I thought GoW was a shoe-in for GOTY for me, but this and Spider-Man are definitely giving it a run for its money. Fantastic year :D

It's such a shame that some people refuse to give Odyssey a chance "because Ubisoft". Such an amazing experience and it's constantly blowing my mind how seamless everything is. My mind was blown when I first got my ship and realised I was able to dock at any point and seamlessly climb onto any piece of land. :O

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York

Anyone encounter any of those good old AC bugs yet? Only ones I've come across so far have been super minor with just a couple textures running and hit box tracking wonking out on me. Still waiting for more of the fun, missing face/stretchy limb bugs that used to turn up in previous games.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the performance is really grating on me (Xbox One OG). It seems sub-30 a lot, and there's no motion blur, which makes it look all the worse.

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
Could that have been Ikaros? I vaguely remember something like that happening in the very beginning of the game, when Ikaros suddenly killed a goat out of nowhere. Back then I thought it was something he did when he was bored or something, but I haven't seen it since. Until now... maybe.
Yes it's like in Origins, sometimes the eagle will kill a snake. Don't know if it's just random of if you can trigger it.

[Anyone encounter any of those good old AC bugs yet? Only ones I've come across so far have been super minor with just a couple textures running and hit box tracking wonking out on me. Still waiting for more of the fun, missing face/stretchy limb bugs that used to turn up in previous games.
Yesterday I had a cultist target that glitched through the ground and its texture stretched. Would have been fun if it didn't turned the fps to single-digit hell whenever the camera was on this stretched texture.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
My 2 biggest complaints.

I need some damn armor with fucking pants. So far I found one varient type, and it's not enough. I hate that I look like I'm wearing rags underneath some of this fancy stuff.

The cost of upgrading stuff to your level is out if this world. The way the legendary sets are gated off across cult members means you will likely be 20 levels different between your first and last. Meanwhile, the material cost of upgrading a 13 to 22 means I'm likely to only to be able to do it twice before running out. If I hadn't been upgrading my ship at all, maybe 4.
When you kill the final cult member in a tree it levels the entire armour set to your level.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Do you get anything from getting all the viewpoints synced?

I was having fun doing them in origins but lost the motivation when I heard that you get nothing for doing it .

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Exploration mode seems pretty neat so far. Game seems to give you enough hints of where to go (at least from the few missions I tried) so it hasn't felt too complicated. But certainly feels a bit more immersive with figuring out where to go rather than just a waypoint showing the exact location. Definitely will leave it on for now.

Blyr

Oct 27, 2017
Random question, but can you stack elemental runes on weapons?

like could I get a bow that has "standard arrows become fire arrows" then slap one that converts them to poison as well?

also, does lighting arrows on fire "overwrite" what they are by default?

I remember using deathly arrows + devastating shot on a target and still needing a little bit more of a push to finish them off, so I lit the arrow on fire and it didn't seem to make a difference

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Do you get anything from getting all the viewpoints synced?

I was having fun doing them in origins but lost the motivation when I heard that you get nothing for doing it .
Viewpoints and the leap of faith in these games basically serve as legacy mechanic that they didn't wanna get rid of while developing Origins and deciding what to keep or scrap. So they're basically fast travel points. There isn't even a point to the traditional leap of faith in this one tbh, because EVERYWHERE is a leap of faith:
36Ktvcr.gif

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
So yeah, this game is huge. Can I count on the game to guide me to each location? Or is it pretty much up to me to wander off during my main missions? I just hit lv15 and my next quest is like 6k away on boat and I passed several locations that looked pretty cool

The game doesn't "send you" to at least half the locations in the map if not more. And some "optional" zones are better than the "main" ones easily.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I played for 7 hours yesterday and probably the same or more today, because I didn't have much else to do and couldn't sleep. I'm now level 21 and am in Argos, where I just killed the snakes in the bathhouse. I'm sure there's still lots left, though. Man this is a long game.

I'm really enjoying it.

I climbed around the building and on the roof twice, but couldn't find an opening to get into the bathhouse. Turns out, there was a door right beside the quest giver that I just never noticed. Haha. I was about to stop playing, ask here and then resume tomorrow.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Are leader house objectives supposed to reset? I cleared the one at Red Lake Bay, played a while more, died elsewhere like 30 min later and reloaded, only to find that the objectives are now not cleared and the whole region is fortified again.

Edit: Come to think of it I think it was not the same llocation.But the loading and reseting of fortification is there.

Last edited:

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

My real issue is that I had to buy something to keep the game moving at a decent pace. I'm annoyed that Ubisoft, as designers, should be focusing their attention on player experience. Why should it not be possible for someone to just play the main story and avoid the side missions? Why would you willingly destroy the pacing of your narrative to force me to go diving for sunken treasure? I'll do that when I want to! I usually like to clean up side stuff when I've finished the story and I have some time.

I just think Ubisoft are losing sight of the player experience and I find it a bit sad. Especially because the game itself is so good in many ways.
My only real gripe is that the game is quite on-the-rails for an open world RPG.

The fact that the put Conquest, Mercs and Cultists really highlights their philosophy of just dumping every feature they can think of in at once. They should have just focused on one and made it incredible instead of having all 3 undercooked. Only the Cultist mechanic comes close to bring properly fleshes out.
Also true.

Viewpoints and the leap of faith in these games basically serve as legacy mechanic that they didn't wanna get rid of while developing Origins and deciding what to keep or scrap. So they're basically fast travel points. There isn't even a point to the traditional leap of faith in this one tbh, because EVERYWHERE is a leap of faith:
36Ktvcr.gif

Which actually makes any incredible amount of sense story-wise.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Are leader house objectives supposed to reset? I cleared the one at Red Lake Bay, played a while more, died elsewhere like 30 min later and reloaded, only to find that the objectives are now not cleared and the whole region is fortified again.

Wondering pretty much the same thing.

When I quit playing yesterday, I had a conquest mission available. However, when I played today the region was fully fortified again.

I did a conquest mission elsewhere -- my second one, actually -- and failed it. It wasn't because of me. I killed lots of enemies. But the Athenians I was helping got slaughtered. I still got lots of XP though.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
36Ktvcr.gif
You can level up IKAROS too by doing these sync, harass is a pretty good skill to have especially if you're doing stealth.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wondering pretty much the same thing.

When I quit playing yesterday, I had a conquest mission available. However, when I played today the region was fully fortified again.

I did a conquest mission elsewhere -- my second one, actually -- and failed it. It wasn't because of me. I killed lots of enemies. But the Athenians I was helping got slaughtered. I still got lots of XP though.

I think I was wrong about the leader house resetting. It seems I killed the leader elsewhere. But the reseting of fortifications still happened.

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that the put Conquest, Mercs and Cultists really highlights their philosophy of just dumping every feature they can think of in at once. They should have just focused on one and made it incredible instead of having all 3 undercooked. Only the Cultist mechanic comes close to bring properly fleshes out.
I mean the conquest system just serves the cultist system. And idk why no one likes the merc system its way better than the nemesis system.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
36Ktvcr.gif
OOoOOOoOOOoo That looks really cool.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I mean the conquest system just serves the cultist system. And idk why no one likes the merc system its way better than the nemesis system.

Why do you think the merc system is better than the Nemesis system? What makes the Nemesis system interesting is how unique each of these Orc and goblin characters were and was especially interesting was they might suffer a permanent injury based on a previous fight you had with them.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Which actually makes any incredible amount of sense story-wise.
Starting the game off with no fall damage was a really good touch.

I wouldn't say that it's better than the nemesis system. But it absolutely does work as an imitation of that design.

Nuszka

Oct 26, 2017
So thats my first AC game since black flag. I have to say i absolutely love it, amazing etc etc. But now I'm wondering about Origins. If i like this one so much would the previous title suit me? Question to folk who played both games.

Oct 26, 2017
Why do you think the merc system is better than the Nemesis system? What makes the Nemesis system interesting is how unique each of these Orc and goblin characters were and was especially interesting was they might suffer a permanent injury based on a previous fight you had with them.
Because of how it works in the game. The nemesis system is a great idea, but SoM is a boring ass lookin game with small maps. It never felt like I was being hunted because of this. In Odyssey these guys will use ships to chase you around, interrupt conquest battles and main quests. The way they group up with each other also means you actually will want to just hide from them at times.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Viewpoints an;od the leap of faith in these games basically serve as legacy mechanic that they didn't wanna get rid of while developing Origins and deciding what to keep or scrap. So they're basically fast travel points. There isn't even a point to the traditional leap of faith in this one tbh, because EVERYWHERE is a leap of faith:
36Ktvcr.gif
'
Meanwhile she has trouble jumping from a roof. ;o

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Because of how it works in the game. The nemesis system is a great idea, but SoM is a boring ass lookin game with small maps. It never felt like I was being hunted because of this. In Odyssey these guys will use ships to chase you around, interrupt conquest battles and main quests. The way they group up with each other also means you actually will want to just hide from them at times.

Shadow of War is an improvement over SoM with regards to the map sizes and locations, though I got bored of both games pretty quickly. It's cool that it's integrated into the naval component into the game, I'll give you that. I generally like that the merc system is there but it doesn't have the personality that the Nemesis system does.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So thats my first AC game since black flag. I have to say i absolutely love it, amazing etc etc. But now I'm wondering about Origins. If i like this one so much would the previous title suit me? Question to folk who played both games.
Origins is like the middle ground between old AC games and Odyssey. For example, the game doesn't have any dialogue options and the skill tree has less emphasis on committing to a build because you can unlock every option. On top of that, costumes in Origins are completely cosmetic, (you have a flat armor rating that you can upgrade with mats), while in Odyssey they function as armor that affects the build of your choice by providing you with bonuses to specific types of damage. Structurally, the two are quite similar with how they guide you through their huge open worlds, along with a similar gameplay loop where quest objectives are pretty simple but the game allows you to tackle them how you wish. Odyssey as a full on RPG pushes it further by having micro decisions affect other aspects of the quest, including character deaths.

Oct 26, 2017
I generally like that the merc system is there but it doesn't have the personality that the Nemesis system does.
Yea I posted early in the thread that its a shame theres no WWE intros or anything.

I'm almost 50 hours in and the game still keeps taking my breath away.
I'm on the upper end of 40 now, what surprises me the most is how many assets they've made and only use for a single subsection of a single island.

Nov 5, 2017
Playing on Xbox and still can't get used to the latest default control scheme - have had to change to the alt version for this + Origins.
Been playing AC since the first so it's now in my nature to hold the right trigger to run up walls and use Y and X for attacks (Similar thing happens to be in Halo when attempting to melee with B all the time).
Also don't seem to be able to get my head around holding A to parkour but then being unable to move the camera around unless I'm missing something...
Anyone else have to do this? Are there any significant advantages to using the updated controls?

Enjoying the game so far nonetheless (: