• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I was already disappointed by how minimal and missable the gay romances are by comparison to the straight/lesbian ones, this turn of events just twists the knife. Assassin's Creed has always been one of my favourite franchises and this news honestly just makes me sad.

Imagine the reaction if they decided to give Alexios/Kassandra a canonically gay relationship in the DLC, people would be storming Ubi HQ as we speak.

Who would storm ubi for doing this? 4chan angry users? Those gamergates stupid boys?

hassler

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Absolutely disgusting. As disgusting as no gay romance in the main squad in Mass Effect Andromeda, while every other sexuality had one.
They later made one squadmate romanceable for gay players (because fans BEGGED bioware for this), so maybe there's a chance to patch this disaster?

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit
Who would storm ubi for doing this? 4chan angry users? Those gamergates stupid boys?
Anyone who connected with and played Alexios/Kass as a straight protagonist for 150 hours, not just story-wise but through their own choices and agency, before having them "settle down" in a gay relationship that completely ignored all of that.

I remember when Deus Ex Human Revolution came out, it was a big selling point that you could complete the game without killing anyone. When it launched, that was true until you got to one of the boss fights early on, where the game forced you to kill him. And not even with a narrative justification like "Whoa, twist! Turns out murder is necessary sometimes!" It was like they forgot to account for the half of the people playing as pacifists. Your Adam Jensen was strictly anti-killing, until he wasn't. (Side note, I believe I remember people getting so up in arms about this that they did patch in a non-lethal method for boss fights)

Now imagine the same feeling but connected to a character where you've had significantly more agency, spent significantly more time with, and the choices being cast aside are fundamentally important to your real life identity, not to mention frequently being casually disregarded by people in your day-to-day. So having this happen likely because they didn't even consider your identity and therefore way of playing as being a valid option fucking sucks.

Marluxia

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive drive-by post surrounding LGBT inclusivity, previous severe infractions, account still in junior phase.
As long as the dlc is fun to play I don't care.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Absolutely disgusting. As disgusting as no gay romance in the main squad in Mass Effect Andromeda, while every other sexuality had one.
They later made one squadmate romanceable for gay players (because fans BEGGED bioware for this), so maybe there's a chance to patch this disaster?

Wait, wasn't Gil Brodie a romance option from the get go? Or am i misremembering that?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I still don't understand
1) Encounter Darius son.
2)Love him
3) Have a baby
4) Will leave him in episode 3 obviously
?) Stay in Atlantis

between 4) and ?) it's IMPOSSIBLE for you to think Kassandra find the greatest love with another woman?
I don't think you understand what being homosexual actually entails.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
I didn't play the game but can you be homosexual in the game? Having sex or not having sex with men/women only doesn't make you necessarily homosexual. Alexios and Kassandra could be both bisexual and choose to have sex with certain men/women but settle down with a story-forced relationship. This also fits ancient Greece.

To call this disgusting and anti-LGBT is quite a stretch.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Wait, wasn't Gil Brodie a romance option from the get go? Or am i misremembering that?
He was - but Gil Brodie is not a squad member but an NPC romance, they also had Reyes too. Unlike Dragon Age Inquisition were the NPC romances had as much content as a companion romance (Cullen and Josephine were handled really well) the content was lacking in the NPC romance options in Andromeda. Though the real reason that BioWare patched in Jaal for a gay male romance, wasn't cus they were mising a squadmate romance but because there was a trophy that required to romance three different people, and gay male Ryder's were unable to do it so BioWare patched in Jaal.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I didn't play the game but can you be homosexual in the game? Having sex or not having sex with men/women only doesn't make you necessarily homosexual. Alexios and Kassandra could be both bisexual and choose to have sex with certain men/women but settle down with a story-forced relationship. This also fits ancient Greece.

People who play a gay character, and that's gay not bi, do not want to have a heterosexual relationship forced on them.

You can talk about shit like historical accuracy or how technically they could still be gay, that won't make the people who feel like their character's identity, something which I remind you being able to control was used as a selling point to promote the game, ripped from them.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
so why are you commenting?

just trust people who are gay and have played the game, many of whom are in this thread

Because I'm interested in this topic? My girlfriend is bisexual, Greek and both her parents are historians/philologists. I have a lot of gay friends. And I'm very interested in (socio)political topics related to video games.

But I guess, in this case it totally fine to exclude people because of reasons.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Because I'm interested in this topic? My girlfriend is bisexual, Greek and both her parents are historians/philologists. I have a lot of gay friends. And I'm very interested in (socio)political topics related to video games.

But I guess, in this case it totally fine to exclude people because of reasons.
So you've got all that background and you still can't even read a few posts seeing that no relationships in the main game were forced on you and then went on to call out people who think it's anti-LGBT?

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
People who play a gay character, and that's gay not bi, do not want to have a heterosexual relationship forced on them.

You can talk about shit like historical accuracy or how technically they could still be gay, that won't make the people who feel like their character's identity, something which I remind you being able to control was used as a selling point to promote the game, ripped from them.

I'm asking if maybe bisexuality is canon and you can have whatever sex life you want in this game without being homosexual. I don't understand why this forum has to be so aggressive when it comes to topics like this.

TheRatedD

Apr 15, 2018
I'm currently replaying AC1 on 360 from Games With Gold. I played it multiple times on PS3 back in the day, but am doing it on 360 for achievements now, and I have a huge takeaway from this. As a longtime AC fanboy, who has played nearly every game they've released (I have Odyssey, but haven't started it yet cuz I wanna get an external hard drive for more space first) I feel like they need to seriously strip down the games. There's a unique feel to AC1 that no other game has recaptured, and these later games, while great and give you a lot of bang for your buck, just feel TOO big to me, and have lost the initial vision the franchise had. Playing AC1 by setting up the assassinations, executing them, and then escaping is just plain great. It can get repetitive, but this core gameplay feature is fantastic. I just feel like I'm enjoying replaying AC1, more than I enjoyed 95% of Origins, and that makes me wonder how much I'll like Odyssey. That's aside from all the story problems these later games have created. I'd love to see another game like Unity, but properly executed. I feel Unity, with a bit more time, could have been the AC1 of this gen, and because of its failures according to mainstream audiences, we won't get a game like that again for a while, if ever.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I'm asking if maybe bisexuality is canon and you can have whatever sex life you want in this game without being homosexual. I don't understand why this forum has to be so aggressive when it comes to topics like this.
"I didn't read the thread or know anything about the topic at all but don't understand that people are angry that I was dismissive of a persecuted groups issues"
Yeah, it's shocking people did not react well to your comment.

KalEl814

Nov 3, 2017
out about Boston

If you'd read the thread, you'd know that the character has no canon sexual orientation at all, and you can play Kassandra / Alexios as gay, straight, bi, or celibate.

hassler

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Yes, but he wasn't a squadmate. Having a squadmate love interest is a nice thing, because that character spends with you most of the time, you hear his/her banter during exploration and comments during missions. That stuff is often about relationship with main protagonist and people likes those little details.

Also, I heard Gil's romance was pretty insulting, because they were basically telling you that you're bad for being gay, because you can't make babies? I'm not sure, never romanced that character, that's just what I heard from my friends who romanced him. That wasn't direct, but they definitely felt that.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Another case of Ubisoft's PR lying to consumers. Really shitty for all the people who decided not to play as a homosexual. There's no reason they needed to shoehorn in a dumb forced romance into DLC of all things.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

You can absolutely have a homosexual character in the game.

And just because it may not have been done with malice towards LGBT people doesn't make it any less LGBT. I think about the H&M "coolest monkey in the jungle" thing a lot. Do I think they handled that shirt the way they did on purpose? Probably not. But that didn't make it any less racist to have a black child modeling a shirt calling the wearer a monkey.

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit

It's not the topic that makes people aggressive, it's coming through the door saying "I haven't bothered to play this game or read about it or read this thread, but here's why your feelings are wrong"

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was already disappointed by how minimal and missable the gay romances are by comparison to the straight/lesbian ones, this turn of events just twists the knife. Assassin's Creed has always been one of my favourite franchises and this news honestly just makes me sad.

Imagine the reaction if they decided to give Alexios/Kassandra a canonically gay relationship in the DLC, people would be storming Ubi HQ as we speak.

The relationships in Odyssey are very horrible overall. Someone mentioned it when the game first released but it's all "do X task and fetch Y loot for sex". Personally I felt the dialogue choices made for a worse narrative and the relationships only suffered as a result.

Does anybody know if the main writing team is doing the DLC? I know that the canon version of Odyssey's events are going to be told in the novelization. But it makes me wonder if this whole baby thing was concepted by a B team who were tasked to work on the post game content.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Yes, but he wasn't a squadmate. Having a squadmate love interest is a nice thing, because that character spends with you most of the time, you hear his/her banter during exploration and comments during missions. That stuff is often about relationship with main protagonist and people likes those little details.

Also, I heard Gil's romance was pretty insulting, because they were basically telling you that you're bad for being gay, because you can't make babies? I'm not sure, never romanced that character, that's ust what I heard from my friends who romanced him. That wasn't direct, but they definitely felt that.
Gil ended up a dad from invitro fertilisation with his best friend at the end of the game so it's not cus he's a gay man that he can't make babies. We are talking about a scifi game set in the future, you don't require straight sex in that game to make babies.
I will say the storyline wasn't written well either though.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So maybe, just maybe have a kid for the sake of continuing the bloodline and return to the sexual preferences?

I mean they could handle the situation better if you could choose who to have a kid and then stay or return to his/her partner

hassler

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Gil ended up a dad from invitro fertilisation with his best friend at the end of the game so it's not cus he's a gay man that he can't make babies. We are talking about a scifi game set in the future, you don't require straight sex in that game to make babies.
I will say the storyline wasn't written well either though.
oh, thanks for clarification!

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
oh, thanks for clarification!
Yeah, he's basically a guy that's not good at making permanent decisions, and his best friend was in charge of the repopulation program so keeps encouraging him to ahve children cus they are in Andromeda. It's not cusa he's gay that he can't have kids but it's not a particularly well written storyline and it's not clear if he wants kids or it's just he's bad at responsibility that he's hesistant and the whole things just seems off like it could have done with another draft. I can see why people are not fond of it tbh.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
If you had bothered to read the thread, or even just the post you were responding to, you would have found out that not having a set sexuality was used as a selling point in this games promotion.

People aren't aggressive because of the topic. They're aggressive because you're being ignorant, and that ignorance can have some pretty fucking bad effects on the LGBT+ community when it's shared by hundreds and thousands of people.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017

You can have sex with women and men in this game. You can choose too but no choice matters except that one in the DLC (and..it's not a choice)

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
If you'd read the thread, you'd know that the character has no canon sexual orientation at all, and you can play Kassandra / Alexios as gay, straight, bi, or celibate.

I read the thread (at least 4 pages or so) and I know the game quite a bit thanks to videos. I know you have the option to have sex with different men and women in this game and of course you can chose to only have sex with men or only with women. But this doesn't make the character necessarily homosexual. That's why I was asking the question because for me it was not answered in this thread. I'm sincerely sorry though that I wanted to know, if you can (for example) say something like "I'm homosexual" in this game but still end up in a heterosexual relationship in the DLC.

But yea, I'm out.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany

Also, I heard Gil's romance was pretty insulting, because they were basically telling you that you're bad for being gay, because you can't make babies? I'm not sure, never romanced that character, that's just what I heard from my friends who romanced him. That wasn't direct, but they definitely felt that.

Ahh right, i missed the "main" squad part in your first post. You're absolutely right then.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I read the thread (at least 4 pages or so) and I know the game quite a bit thanks to videos. I know you have the option to have sex with different men and women in this game and of course you can chose to only have sex with men or only with women. But this doesn't make the character necessarily homosexual. That's why I was asking the question because for me it was not answered in this thread. I'm sincerely sorry though that I wanted to know, if you can (for example) say something like "I'm homosexual" in this game but still end up in a heterosexual relationship in the DLC.

But yea, I'm out.
If you actually read the thread you'd know that Ubisoft advertised this game as being able to make Gay, Lesbian, Bi or even Ace characters. So yeah, it really doesn't sound like you read the thread and you could even have googled it before you had to dismiss all the LGBT people in this thread saying they had a problem with it.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

But yea, I'm out.
You could have asked that question without that comment at the end of your initial post, you know. You came into the thread claiming that you haven't played the game, yet somehow able to tell the people who have actually played the game that their grief is "quite a stretch". Then you complained that people are unwelcoming to this sort of dismissive attitude. Come on.

Last edited:

SvenL1975

Jan 6, 2018
Germany
I'm really disappointed that no websites are picking this up. I was expecting at least Kotaku to comment on this.

They are forcing a heterosexual relationship on a character, against her explicit will (if you, as the player chose her to be homosexual) and then call the trophy for this "Growing up"? Why not just call the trophy "Corrective rape"? This is the most disgusting thing I've ever encountered in a game.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Socrates makes it pretty clear that he had no romantic interest in the mater or even being a father. The entire thing seemed to me a loveless act of "duty".

So a gay Kass/Alex have a child out of obligation to continue the bloodline, not out of love.

It sounds like the story is poorly told. I'm only up to chapter 7 so it's hard for me to fully comment on this, but it doesn't sound like this is some kind of attack on the LGBT community.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
It sounds like the story is poorly told. I'm only up to chapter 7 so it's hard for me to fully comment on this, but it doesn't sound like this is some kind of attack on the LGBT community.

For some here apparently it is...
I mean i can't picture in my head the writers as this scene:
"Bwahahaa i will force the gay/lesbian community to have an heterosexual relationship bwahahaa" (sinister music + Mr Burns laugh).
I can't.

I understand it's a bad stuff. But for me it's a bad mistake. It wasn't intended to hurt LG people. Even if the writers did hurt you and you are right to feel being hurt.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that the narrative director isn't working on the dlc is a quite evident.

a gay Kass/Alex have a child out of obligation to continue the bloodline, not out of love.
There's an option that seems to directly take this idea into account. I don't know what she says when you choose the second option.
M2MFvdW.png

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

But yea, I'm out.
I haven't played through the game yet, but from my experience you don't get to express your sexual preference out loud verbally. The game simply allows you to have relationships with women and men as both playable characters. It's an RPG as you of course know and like with many RPG:s, what kind of character you are playing as isn't necessarily spelled out by the character in game. The character doesn't shout out "I'm a mage!", or if you play as an elf you don't declare that to people around you, or if you are playing an evil character the character doesn't explain their actions by "I do this because I'm evil." etc. Just like someone roleplaying the game as a gay man doesn't mean the character should explicitly state it to other characters. The actions speak for themselves. Now with this DLC, it erases that freedom of choice from the player. When they before could play as a gay character, not just bi or straight.
The fact that the narrative director isn't working on the dlc is a quite evident.

There's an option that seems to directly take this idea into account. I don't know what she says when you choose the second option.
M2MFvdW.png
Hmm well this is definitely interesting. Would like to know how that dialogue plays out exactly.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
I haven't played through the game yet, but from my experience you don't get to express your sexual preference out loud verbally. The game simply allows you to have relationships with women and men as both playable characters. It's an RPG as you of course know and like with many RPG:s, what kind of character you are playing as isn't spelled out by the character in game. The character doesn't shout out "I'm a mage!", or if you play as an elf you don't declare that to people around you, or if you are playing an evil character the character doesn't explain their actions by "I do this because I'm evil." Just like someone roleplaying the game as a gay man doesn't mean the character should explicitly state it to other characters. The actions speak for themselves. Now with this DLC, it erases that freedom of choice from the player. When they before could play as a gay character, not just bi or straight.

Hmm well this is definitely interesting. Would like to know how that dialogue plays out exactly.

Thanks for the answer. I also see the misleading marketing but I was interested in how the game presents the sexuality of the character. I have to bisexual male friends that never had a homosexual relationship despite having regularly sex with other men. I thought maybe the writers decided to have bisexual characters instead of having the choice between different sexual orientations. I think this would be also quite progressive because for many men it seems unconformtable to play even a bisexual male character.
Of course the marketing is still deceptive because in the end you are forced to have a specific relationship in the game/DLC but I think it's possible to differentiate between those topics.

Sorry for calling "anti-LGBT" a "stretch". That wasn't quite fair but the atmosphere in related topics is extreme toxic nevertheless and I don't think this helps anyone.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Thanks for the answer. I also see the misleading marketing but I was interested in how the game presents the sexuality of the character. I have to bisexual male friends that never had a homosexual relationship despite having regularly sex with other men. I thought maybe the writers decided to have bisexual characters instead of having the choice between different sexual orientations. I think this would be also quite progressive because for many men it seems unconformtable to play even a bisexual male character.
Of course the marketing is still deceptive because in the end you are forced to have a specific relationship in the game/DLC but I think it's possible to differentiate between those topics.

Sorry for calling "anti-LGBT" a "stretch". That wasn't quite fair but the atmosphere in related topics is extreme toxic nevertheless and I don't think this helps anyone.

well that specific relationship is only on DLC.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Socrates makes it pretty clear that he had no romantic interest in the mater or even being a father. The entire thing seemed to me a loveless act of "duty".

So a gay Kass/Alex have a child out of obligation to continue the bloodline, not out of love.
That's the thing pal. They didn't give the player that choice with Kassandra (as in, "fine, we'll have the baby to save the world but I'm out", no, they forcefully wrote the character into an heterosexual view of "growing up" by having an heteronormative family.

That's messed up.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing pal. They didn't give the player that choice with Kassandra (as in, "fine, we'll have the baby to save the world but I'm out", no, they forcefully wrote the character into an heterosexual view of "growing up" by having an heteronormative family.

That's messed up.

Is the romance forced or is it just the pregnancy?

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I still fear for the next game
Because if they keep allowing player to choose the gender, then we will never have the Shao Jun game that i want :(

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit
I wanted to know, if you can (for example) say something like "I'm homosexual" in this game but still end up in a heterosexual relationship in the DLC.

What a coincidence, the very first line in the game's intro after you beat up some thugs is "Good morning, Phoibe! Did I ever tell you how very homosexual I am? Because I'm, like, super-duper homosexual!"

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like this second option too...
Considering how important bloodlines are for Kassandra/Alexios specifically I can imagine them doing this. If i were to guess, I assume the intent and push towards the idea of them choosing a normal life before it's too late is a callback to Ezio settling down way too late in his life to even enjoy it. As well as a callback to one of the first sentiments expressed by the MC after the intro, "I can't keep doing this."

Last edited: