• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it is silly that you're forced to make the change if you played it differently and the "Grow Up" is a poor title choice, but putting malicious intent and an anti-LGBTQ+ label on it seems a bit hot-headed given that the game is generally open to different types of relationships and sexual roles.

Ubisoft: You can play as a lesbian
Ubisoft: Except also fuck you

This is like. the definition of homophobia and spitting on LGBT+ fans

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Saw it coming mile away since Darius' child was revealed as the opposite sex as your character.

Not a great look.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
People can be incorrect you know, I don't really care much about the animus side of the stories so I wasn't aware, I thought it was still the way the series was handling things. I do see how it could be a problem now though, since the reason they probably changed the tech in game was to justify player choice in the first place.
You not caring very much about the animus narrative, and not actually knowing how it works, isn't a problem. But it becomes an incredibly irritating problem when, despite that, you and others come into threads like these to tell people that, actually, it's "impossible" for these characters to have not had a het romance.

You are wrong, but you didn't actually care to do even the slightest bit of research or check your story before you started using your incorrect information to explain to the people this has upset how they're actually the ones who are misinformed.

It's hard enough for the LGBT+ community to talk out about this stuff already. They don't need people who don't care enough to fact check basic stuff also dropping by to disagree.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Ubisoft: You can play as a lesbian
Ubisoft: Except also fuck you

This is like. the definition of homophobia and spitting on LGBT+ fans
I'm not trying to minimize anyone's frustration or disappointment with the choice and I understand the problem with yanking away agency in this situation. I just see it as an unfortunate stumble and not a pointed homophobic or anti LGBT+ decision.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
You don't even need the LGBT factor here for this to be shitty, it just makes the whole thing exponentially more offensive and hypocritical- overriding player choice this directly and forcefully, especially when that choice is who to romance, is an unforgivable sin no matter what your romance options are and what you're forced into.

Knowing what I know about AC (haven't played since Black Flag) I can understand if their existing plan for the overall story requires the player character to have kids and I don't think anyone would complain if later games in which you played as other characters set a "canon" set of choices in stone as necessary for future plot developments, but adding DLC in which you have no choice but to play those choices out after a main game where you can choose to be/fuck whoever is both insulting and completely unnecessary. It's like if they added DLC to Knights of the Old Republic where your female dark jedi who's romancing Carth turns back to the light side, dumps Carth for Bastila, and transitions to being a man because in later games/books/comics they established that KOTOR's PC was a dude who did the light side ending and had kids with Bastila.

Tiamat

Nov 16, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing concerns surrounding LGBT inclusivity and representation; account still in junior phase
There is literally a trophy called "Growing Up".

It is insulting and offensive to the LGBT community that you should "Grow Up" and become straight.

They need to eliminate that trophy and patch this forced romance out of the game.

Also, this thread should be rebooted. It's an important issue that is just going to drown in posts complaining about the spoiler.
Seriously ?
Why ?
Damn, if they want to tell a story they can do what they want.
You have some choices, yeah, but they can impose what they want for the series.
Everyone is outraged by everything this days.
I don't have anything against LGBT but in this game you can have sex with the same sex so what is the problem?
If it's the story they want to tell, so be it.
It's only a game...

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
You not caring very much about the animus narrative, and not actually knowing how it works, isn't a problem. But it becomes an incredibly irritating problem when, despite that, you and others come into threads like these to tell people that, actually, it's "impossible" for these characters to have not had a het romance.

You are wrong, but you didn't actually care to do even the slightest bit of research or check your story before you started using your incorrect information to explain to the people this has upset how they're actually the ones who are misinformed.

You're right, and I can see how that could be annoying/irritating after so many pages of others doing the same thing (must admit, I only read the OP and a bit of page 1 before chiming in myself), but I can admit when I'm wrong and it appears that I was wrong on this one. I was never trying to explain to people that they were wrong to be upset, I was just explaining why it didn't seem like an issue to me, and now I can see why it is one.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously ?
Why ?
I don't have anything against LGBT but in this game you can have sex with the same sex so what is the problem?
It's only a game...

shhhhhut. shut the fuck up. ubisoft said with their own damn words "you can play as bi or a lesbian or straight, whatever you want" and then they went and did THIS so yeah?? we're fucking upset??? pull your straight privilege out of ur ass "it's only a game" yeah it's one of the few AAA gaming experiences that lets LGBT players see themselves represented in the main character and then they just took a dump all over that but nah us whiny gays should g e t o v e r i t

Nov 2, 2017
Never played origins, but either way, those monotonous infodump parts of the games are usually complete nonsense so you can forgive people for largely ignoring them.

It's not a lore info dump. The intro of the game is his kid getting killed and the entire game is about a quest for vengeance against the people who killed his kid.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
I heard the rumors in the last days but hoped it wouldn't be true.
Ubi has done so well as of late. And i really loved Odyssee, but this is such a mayor fuckup. I'm glad i didn't start the dlc (sadly i paid for it with the seaon pass) and i won't now.
Hope there is enough reporting on this to at least get some statements from Ubi. Such a shame.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
If it had a real purpose like the Dark Ritual in Dragon Age Origins, where you still can choose to refuse it, (only look it up if you don't care being spoiled), then I think this would be fine, but from what I've been told, it's meaningless, Ubisoft wants you to have a child so the story they have written can continue, despite crucial player agency.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
You don't even need the LGBT factor here for this to be shitty, it just makes the whole thing exponentially more offensive and hypocritical- overriding player choice this directly and forcefully, especially when that choice is who to romance, is an unforgivable sin no matter what your romance options are and what you're forced into.

Knowing what I know about AC (haven't played since Black Flag) I can understand if their existing plan for the overall story requires the player character to have kids and I don't think anyone would complain if later games in which you played as other characters set a "canon" set of choices in stone as necessary for future plot developments, but adding DLC in which you have no choice but to play those choices out after a main game where you can choose to be/fuck whoever is both insulting and completely unnecessary. It's like if they added DLC to Knights of the Old Republic where your female dark jedi who's romancing Carth turns back to the light side, dumps Carth for Bastila, and transitions to being a man because in later games/books/comics they established that KOTOR's PC was a dude who did the light side ending and had kids with Bastila.
Yeah, it's not so much a problem if they have to set a canon path for later games like for going from KOTOR to SWTOR were they needed a common background for everyone to share but changing the character, the character they advertised as being able to be gay and you be able to make choices for, within the same game forcing them to change their sexuality really sucks. There's no justifible reason for it, and if they knew it was going to have to happen in that game eventually with the DLC why didn't they just advertise the character as being set as bi?

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is the kind of shit why I don't trust AAA companies for the most part. They want their cake and eat it too fucking Christ

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
If it had a real purpose like the Dark Ritual in Dragon Age Origins, where you still can choose to refuse it, (only look it up if you don't care being spoiled), then I think this would be fine, but from what I've been told, it's meaningless, Ubisoft wants you to have a child so the story they have written can continue, despite crucial player agency.
DAO for the dark ritual you can force potentially two other people to do it as well so there's multiple options there,

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Seriously ?
Why ?
It's only a game...
Yes, they can tell the story they want.

But people can also, you know, freely criticise that story.

Maybe you shouldn't be so outraged about other people's criticism. I mean, it's only a forum post...

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
Also i disagree with the Title change. I haven't seen the original one, but this is something that has to be addressed in the Title so that people see what's happening. It's also not just about the Assassins Creed DLC, that would only interest players. That outweights the spoiler in my opinion. Title should at least be a bit more descriptive about the kind of thing that is forced onto the player, not just something...

Last edited:

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Also i disagree with the Title change. I haven't seen the original one, but this is something that has to be addressed in the Title so that people see what's happening. That outweights the spoiler in my opinion. Tilte should at least be a bit more descrptive about the kind of thing that is forced onto the player, not just something...

Agree. I'm glad I found out before I played the DLC and found out the harsh way because I would have been fucking devastated. LGBT folk need to be warned about this shit bc it's so fucking upsetting.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
DAO for the dark ritual you can force potentially two other people to do it as well so there's multiple options there,

I am not sure if you're pointing out that the Dark Ritual is just as bad or not, but in any case, one can choose to refuse and suffer the consequences, have someone else do it, or do it by yourself if you want to. I'm sure there are other routes as well, it has a purpose despite everything, your MC can do it for many reasons, with or without attachment. Shit, it was really good.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
If Kassandra don't have a son...then the lineage is dead.
And why not waiting episode 3?

We already know she will stay at Atlantis. She won't raise him. It's obvious that even with a child, her love with Darius son won't stay longer.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I am not sure if you're pointing out that the Dark Ritual is just as bad or not, but in any case, one can choose to refuse and suffer the consequences, have someone else do it, or do it by yourself if you want to. I'm sure there are other routes as well, it has a purpose despite everything, your MC can do it for many reasons, with or without attachment. Shit, it was really good.
No pointing out it was good, you can choose to do it yourself, choose for two other characters to do it (which one depends on a choice you made earliar) or can choose not to do it all for whatever reason you choose. Sorry wasn't clear, was pointing out it had multiple choices on how it could turn out that didn't force your characters sexuality, you could still have the dark ritual without being forced to have straight sex unlike this situation.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
"But the lore!"

Is a hilarious excuse for fucking assassins creed. Does anyone actually follow/care about the modern day stuff still?
Only reason i buy gold editions day one. If they kill the modern day stuff, ill quit the series. Its a love/hate relationship with how ubisoft is treating the lore.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I remember right, weren't those implied to be a sort of hallucination effect? They reverted back to their original forms when the piece of Eden was removed. This fits in with the pre-established lore of the Pieces of Eden distorting reality/controlling human minds.

A PoE baby Could be made to fit into the lore, but I just don't think it's a good fit. I'd rather they just not force a child onto the character if that was the only other option.
No, they actually transmutated humans who touched the artifacts into living breathing monsters. Aletheia was disgusted by the Olympos Project, it was certainly a real thing and not just a hallucination.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
i still don't understand what's the complain about this.
In a lore point of view it's even better because it's the grand-son of Darius the first assassin ever.
People enjoy playing as a gay character, so being forced into a heterosexual relationship is bad.

It's really, really simple. Maybe you're just unable to empathise there, but it shouldn't be difficult to understand.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
No pointing out it was good, you can choose to do it yourself, choose for two other characters to do it (which one depends on a choice you made earliar) or can choose not to do it all for whatever reason you choose. Sorry wasn't clear, was pointing out it had multiple choices on how it could turn out that didn't force your characters sexuality, you could still have the dark ritual without being forced to have straight sex unlike this situation.

Pretty much!

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Only reason i buy gold editions day one. If they kill the modern day stuff, ill quit the series. Its a love/hate relationship with how ubisoft is treating the lore.

who talked about modern stuff?
If Kassandra don't have a baby, then no Ezio etc... ! I mean what the hell?
having a baby with a men don't prevent you to be in love with a woman after! They already stated that even if there is player choice, Kassandra is bisexual.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So we fell for the giant corporation wants you to feel represented and respected thing again. ill just buy the special edition of the next game just one more time and thats it.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
People enjoy playing as a gay character, so being forced into a heterosexual relationship is bad.

It's really, really simple. Maybe you're just unable to empathise there, but it shouldn't be difficult to understand.

I still don't understand
1) Encounter Darius son.
2)Love him
3) Have a baby
4) Will leave him in episode 3 obviously
?) Stay in Atlantis

between 4) and ?) it's IMPOSSIBLE for you to think Kassandra find the greatest love with another woman?

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
The fucking nonsense in this thread and fucking insensitivity to LGBT people's, you know, existence, is fucking astounding. Just admit you care more about your viddey gaems than LGBT folk good god

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I still don't understand
1) Encounter Darius son.
2)Love him
3) Have a baby
?) Stay in Atlantis

between 4) and ?) it's IMPOSSIBLE for you to think Kassandra find the greatest love with another woman?

That doesnt matter. Its not about hooking with a women, is about erasing the option of the main character being gay.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I still don't understand
1) Encounter Darius son.
2)Love him
3) Have a baby
?) Stay in Atlantis

lol, you see nothing wrong with a lesbian character falling in love with a guy and having a kid?

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I still don't understand
1) Encounter Darius son.
2)Love him
3) Have a baby
?) Stay in Atlantis

But some people played as a Kassandra who would never fuck a dude and this story development contradicts that. Is that so hard to understand?

DXLelouch24

Oct 28, 2017
Why do people keep pushing this stupid child narrative? First with Fallout 4, then this game
Nobody cares about our fictional child developers

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The fucking nonsense in this thread and fucking insensitivity to LGBT people's, you know, existence, is fucking astounding. Just admit you care more about your viddey gaems than LGBT folk good god

Well my Kassandra only had relationships with womens.
But i knew she would have a baby at some point if you want the lore to "stay" in good shape.
I mean when i first saw Darius son i was like "uugh...."
But since it's just "an adventure" DURING the game and not an epilogue...

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Seriously, some of these responses are absolutely horrible. how do you not get how hurtful this is to people? jesus christ

extremely shitty on ubi's part too. pretty big betrayal of people's trust to be thrust into something they don't want.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Well my Kassandra only had relationships with womens.
But i knew she would have a baby at some point if you want the lore to "stay" in good shape.
I mean when i first saw Darius son i was like "uugh...."
But since it's just "an adventure" DURING the game and not an epilogue...

Bruh, this is a game where a fucking shit staff
give you inmortality
, they could think on millions of other deus ex machina stuff to have that without contradicting what the devs said about sexuality choices.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
So we fell for the giant corporation wants you to feel represented and respected thing again. ill just buy the special edition of the next game just one more time and thats it.
It's possible if they really do care about representation, that they take the criticism and change it or at the very least say sorry and take it forward for the next game. There are corps that actually do that, like BioWare messed up with Mass Effect Andromeda in not having enough LIs for Gay men plus haveing an achievement for having 3 LIs that gay guys couldn't meet, so they ended up making Jaal bi as a full romance for gay guys, as good as it was for straight women. In the same game they also edited an NPC multiple times due to criticism from the Trans community in order to get it right. So if Ubisoft do truly care there's multiple ways they could make it right. If other companies can do it so can they.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Bruh, this is a game where a fucking shit staff give you inmortality, they could think on millions of other deus ex machina stuff to have that without contradicting what the devs said about sexuality choices.

...so what? Baby birth like Anakin with midichlorians? Wtf.

"Desmond, we have learn the first pieces of your lineage. A staff."
Seriously...
I understand why some are angry about ubi choices here, i truly do. But since they said at E3 "you will choose the gender and the relationships" i keep saying "wait...it's not logical...right?From a lore point of view."

The only way to prevent this and let the player choose is for Kassandra to have a brother or a sister with Isu DNA too that would be heterosexual. Ubi could have done that.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Wow completely goes against how they sold the game. The fact that it's gay people being railroaded just makes it even worse that they're undermining what they claimed was a huge part of the philosophy of the game's design.