• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Edited the title. Really should have that through before posting.
Thanks for this.

OP I noticed you hate the game`and post about it each thread because it is not "pure" AC so why do you need to do this shit? You are not entitled to ruining the game for others because you dislike it so much. Please don't do this next time as people like the game and the direction the series is heading.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft wants Assassin's Creed to become an RPG where choice matters, yet they take away your choice. This is a great example of why player choice doesn't belong in the series.
A huge plot point of Assassin's Creed post-Origins is that certain events, called nodes, forcibly happen no matter how much you try to resist them. If the simulation wants Kassandra/Alexios to have a child, it will conspire to make that happen. This doesn't necessarily contract the player agency Odyssey is going for.

With all due respect, this thread feels like you wanting to vent about how much you dislike the modern direction of Assassin's Creed, and using this divisive DLC plot point to do it.
Do you still play as a direct descendent of the main character when in the scenes set in the present?
A direct descendant is not necessary anymore, but Layla's heritage is unclear. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out she's connected in some way.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I don't think it's specifically anti-LGBT, it's just a very stupid choice to include it in the story.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
What did people expected from Ubisoft and AC. They do whatever they think it is good whenever they think it is convenient to do it. It is just sad that players who complained about introduction of choice in AC games for legitimate reasons (it bends the lore) got bashed and then developers can't even stick to their design decisions and change things as they see it fit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this.

OP I noticed you hate the game`and post about it each thread because it is not "pure" AC so why do you need to do this shit? You are not entitled to ruining the game for others because you dislike it so much. Please don't do this next time as people like the game and the direction the series is heading.
I think its a really good Sword & Sandal RPG just a terrible Assassin's Creed. I am actually enjoying playing it, I just hate when companies bait and switch like this. Makes it worse when it perpetuates harmful stereotypes.

Oct 27, 2017
No, but the story in-game does heavily revolve around his or her bloodline.
No, you get their DNA from their spear. There was never any implications of them having/needing a descendant.

Cool, thanks for the clarification. I haven't played an Assassin's Creed game in a long time so the thread title confused me. I thought all the main characters had to have kids for the fiction to work.

Seems like Ubisoft has messed up with forcing this on the player if it wasn't essential for the fiction. Even if it was essential it seems like they could have done it a better way.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
The "fuck Ubisoft" sentiments are weird. Sure this is a problem but they are also one of, if not the most inclusive developers out there...and no one is perfect so there can be mistakes from time to time.

There is literally a trophy called "Growing Up".

It is insulting and offensive to the LGBT community that you should "Grow Up" and become straight.

They need to eliminate that trophy and patch this forced romance out of the game.

Also, this thread should be rebooted. It's an important issue that is just going to drown in posts complaining about the spoiler.

Albatross

Nov 11, 2017
Blah, while horrible as a concept after emphasizing freedom of choice, this feels like something they would have had to make canon in the background anyway to justify the whole 'playing through an ancestors memory' thing? I don't know, they really should have just kept this out of the game.

Due to the realities of the fiction Ubisoft has created surrounding Assassin's Creed, all playable assassins are required to have had children at some point. That's how the genetic memory explored by the Animus works.

Honestly I would not even consider this a spoiler for that reason.

Did you even play the last two games? Animus doesn't work like that anymore, you don't need a descendant.

Oct 27, 2017
I think its a really good Sword & Sandal RPG just a terrible Assassin's Creed. I am actually enjoying playing it, I just hate when companies bait and switch like this. Makes it worse when it perpetuates harmful stereotypes.
"Sword & Sandal RPG"

What makes this game worse than the other game's in the series? I have been playing the series since AC1 and 2 yet the series still feel like an AC game. What they did was evolve the franchise to what most people wanted it to become.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017

It is insulting and offensive to the LGBT community that you should "Grow Up" and become straight.

They need to eliminate that trophy and patch this forced romance out of the game.

Also, this thread should be rebooted. It's an important issue that is just going to drown in posts complaining about the spoiler.

So how come the trophy is called the same for non-LGBT player characters? 🤔

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing, does she at least object to it or is it a complete 180 out of nowhere?
How they didn't foresee this and make alternative endings is baffling.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It sucks to take away choice but lol at the childfree shit leaking into the outrage.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well screw this. Was planning on buying but not any more.

Why let you choose your character's actions and then take it all away?

People keep saying Ubi have killed it this gen but they've been so hit and miss it's not funny.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I love that on ERA people can just post spoilers of any thing they want in the thread/thread title without any warnings or bans.

Just a quick edit and we go back to the regular schedule!

Oct 28, 2017

I took the "Growing Up" part to imply that they should settle down and get out of the "sword-for-hire"/on the road type lifestyle.

In the first part of the dlc before all this romance stuff pops up Kassandra talks about creating a quiet home for herself because she's never had one.

Not saying there isn't a problem with what they've done with the forced romance, but I don't think the problem is with the trophy name.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I truly don't think it's anti-LGBT.
It's just Ubisoft trying to advance the story without really thinking about the fact that they gave people choices in the the main game.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Due to the realities of the fiction Ubisoft has created surrounding Assassin's Creed, all playable assassins are required to have had children at some point. That's how the genetic memory explored by the Animus works.

Alexios/Kassandra are from a time way before the brotherhood (although they do deal with an early variant of the templars) and the modern day plot revolves around a modified animus that doesnt require a direct bloodline if you can acquire dna samples of the person whose memories you wish to inhabit (layla is not a descendant of the greek siblings or bayek/aya)

The entire setup of Origins/Odyssey feels completely set up so something like what happens in the dlc wouldnt be needed and yet here we are

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Ubisoft have ever made retroactive narrative changes to their games. For example, some people didn't like the fact Far Cry 5
glassed the planet with nukes, killed all their favorite characters, then told players to their face they were responsible for the downfall of human civilization, while also slyly telling them that "This is the only way the story ends. Nothing you can do can change that," in drug visions.
Some people wanted Ubisoft to write a new ending. Ubisoft's response to people getting upset was to reinforce the religious implications of the ending via the first loadscreen in the game, and also announce a sequel where that ending was declared canon.

Ubisoft are very responsive to gameplay feedback. Narrative feedback, not so much.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I totally get the particulars in this one, especially the whole "growing up" thing.

I'm just disagreeing with the broader notion that if a game involves choices, it shouldn't ever make you do a thing you don't want with the character.
Where are you getting that broader notion from?

Because this conversation is pretty laser focused on how this particular forced decision takes agency away from the LGBT players, who had been told they would have the decision to define their own sexuality.

Your taking an issue and twisting it into something else, either because you want to delegitimise it, or because you don't understand it. The people who are upset by this aren't trying to force games to never have narratives which force a decision, they're simply complaining about how this particular instance of that erases their identity.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think that means what you are implying. It is faaar more likely and realistic to think that they are refering to settling down and giving up the mercenary life than turning straight.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Having a child is silly and out of character, calling the trophy "Growing Up" is super tonedeaf, but canonizing a certain sexuality on a character that had their sexuality, up to this point, entirely defined by player choice, is the shitty part, imho.

Imagine if Ubisoft canonically made people's straight Alexios have gay romantic sex for plot reasons. Imagine the uproar.
But hey, they can canonically make (your) gay Kassandra have straight sex ... because?

Personally, "my" Kassandra fucked each and every possible candidate, so it doesn't really hurt my immersion, but i'm sure there's plenty of people who played the game as a lesbian Kassandra.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This is fucking stupid. Did the DLC was developed by another studio? Or they forgot their own game was about?

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
They need to rewrite this dlc and patch the heck out of it immediatly. I get the line "maybe you haven't met the right man yet" all the time. Don't force my character who you said we could choose the orientation of to go that route.

I hate this.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns surrounding inclusivity and representation
Honestly you've got no right to be offended. Its Assassin's Creed. It's premise doesn't fit player choice. You're reliving memories and through some plot contrivances can maybe affect them? But not really. Plus every game with player choice forces a decision/multiple on you. At the end of the day your character exists to serve the plot of the game, no matter what you specifically want.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Ubisoft aren't "forcing" anything on anyone. Yes you can pick romance options in the game, but at the end of the day, it's their narrative and Kassandra/Alexios can end up wit whomever the developers choose.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly you've got no right to be offended. Its Assassin's Creed. It's premise doesn't fit player choice. You're reliving memories and through some plot contrivances can maybe affect them? But not really. Plus every game with player choice forces a decision/multiple on you. At the end of the day your character exists to serve the plot of the game, no matter what you specifically want.
I think the basis for it is that it was sold through developer interviews as affording players the opportunity to express their own sexuality through their character's choice in partners, if they so desired. Personally in game, it always felt to me like it really leaned into a bisexual protagonist, and this doesn't betray that at all, but I completely understand people who bought into the ideas that the game was sold on in its prerelease PR feeling let down or betrayed by it.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Ubisoft aren't "forcing" anything on anyone. Yes you can pick romance options in the game, but at the end of the day, it's their narrative and Kassandra/Alexios can end up wit whomever the developers choose.
That the developers can choose to do this does not make it immune from criticism.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Then don't play it. People getting wound up about literally everything nowadays is really starting to get tiresome.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, seems OP spoiled the shit out of the DLC for a lot of people!

I didn't play the latest AssCreed but it's a shame they made a big deal about a female playable character and then force this route upon them. One step forwards, two steps back.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Before the game releases "Wow we finally get good LGBT characters if we would like to! Great job Ubisoft!"
Game releases "Wow they really did what they said! Great step!"
DLC releases with forced decision that you need to make a baby "Ughh fuck the spoiler in the thread. It's also Ubisofts decision!"

What? Ubisoft fucked up.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I think the basis for it is that it was sold through developer interviews as affording players the opportunity to express their own sexuality through their character's choice in partners, if they so desired. Personally in game, it always felt to me like it really leaned into a bisexual protagonist, and this doesn't betray that at all, but I completely understand people who bought into the ideas that the game was sold on in its prerelease PR feeling let down or betrayed by it.

To be fair they kept their word for the extent of the main game Alexios/Kassandra stick to your choices. DLC seems like they realized how that....doesn't work 12 games into a serialized franchise and started pushing some plot forward. Again I'm not sure the outrage is valid. And I'm positive that it won't change.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This is bullshit and you know it. The whole excuse that it's their narrative negates all player choice to begin with.

Also the fact that you were able to shift into people you weren't descendants of made lgb characters possible

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

As long as that includes removing your borderline inappropriate posts on this subject too.

They are if you want that trophy.

"Here's a trophy in God of War that you can only get if Kratos bangs a dude."

ERA wouldn't survive the uproar.

But you get that same trophy even playing as a straight player.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aaaaand that erases all interest I had in the game! Nice one ubisoft

I get what people are going for here, but I also kind of bristle at the notion that narrative developments should always be player choices. If games are going to have stories, this shit's gonna happen.
Youre not allowed to advertise player choice in sexuality and then force a heterosexual romance on them.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No it isnt, this game literally introduces that the player characters dont

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
I'm sure you would say the same if your straight Alexios suddenly had to fuck a man to progress the story.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair they kept their word for the extent of the main game Alexios/Kassandra stick to your choices. DLC seems like they realized how that....doesn't work 12 games into a serialized franchise and started pushing some plot forward. Again I'm not sure the outrage is valid. And I'm positive that it won't change.
I think they could've chose or not chose to pursue this for the DLC. I don't think there was anything at all obligating or necessitating them to write Kassandra or Alexios explicitly settling down with a character of the opposite gender. I also agree that they won't change it. But I think they'll likely take it into consideration when designing future storylines.

Ubisoft will remember this.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was surprised someone would make a title like that but then I seen who the OP is.

On topic if this happens then it doesn't bother me as I haven't really been bothering with the romance in this game. Can see why it would annoy some people though.

It's just a bad choice by Ubisoft but they are normally very good so I would cut them some slack.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I totally get the particulars in this one, especially the whole "growing up" thing.

I'm just disagreeing with the broader notion that if a game involves choices, it shouldn't ever make you do a thing you don't want with the character.
Thats fine when you arent giving representation to a minority only to rip it from them

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care i am just gonna look away lol my Cassandra never fucked any guy in the game.