• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I think the backslash comes from Connor not being reskinned Nathan Drake and it being a bit sour in tone, not to mention some fatigue at the time, but maybe people will actually like it now.
This has always perplexed me. They cast a Native American voice actor in the role, who specifically chose to play the character as someone who speaks English as a second language and Mohawk as a first. The voice acting was so detailed that they consciously chose to slowly increase Connor's use of contractions throughout the main story to depict his increasing familiarity with English. They brought in Mohawk tribal consultants for virtually all aspects of Connor's character and his tribe, down to accurately depicting Mohawk, to the way their camp is set up, to the clothing they wear.

It's honestly an exhaustive attempt at respectful and accurate representation.

And it came out and people just shit on him.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
When I make the OT I am going to put in giant letters "DO ALL OF THE HOMESTEAD MISSIONS".

Connor is actually a really nuanced and well written character, but a lot of his characterization is in the Homestead stuff that a lot of people skipped over.
Those quests were awful to play. There's a reason why people skipped them lol.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
People skipped them because they were impatient idiots. They were fantastic.
4gqtz.jpg

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
Uhm, isn't AC3 the one that is mostly in the snow?

Snow = cold colors usually.

This golden lighting everywhere not only looks awful, but it also makes no sense whatsoever.

Imagine if they took a Batman game and gave it the colors of Fortnite. What happened to art direction?

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
One particular big one is in the opera scene: you can see all the shimmering and old textures being removed and replaced with very good looking textures and zero shimmering with the update.

What you see there is that it looks much sharper because they very obviously increased the rendering resolution. The textures were probably touched up too, but the higher resolution would already on its own make things look sharper. The "shimmering" is obviously because they had to upscale the older version to make the comparison.

The geometry looks all identical, they changed the foliage only it looks like.

So: different lighting, some godrays, higher textures and resolution, touched up foliage. I'd say this is the bare minimum for a remaster. The big problem is that it also looks bad because it's all monochrome.

The problem is the completely different art direction due to the lighting, and it looks bad. There's no rational reason behind that big tonal change.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
What you see there is that it looks much sharper because they very obviously increased the rendering resolution. The textures were probably touched up too, but the higher resolution would already on its own make things look sharper. The "shimmering" is obviously because they had to upscale the older version to make the comparison.

So: different lighting, some godrays, higher textures and resolution, touched up foliage. I'd say this is the bare minimum for a remaster. The big problem is that it also looks bad because it's all monochrome.

The problem is the completely different art direction due to the lighting, and it looks bad. There's no rational reason behind that big tonal change.

Yeah the shimmering is a product of the lower res upscale, and just having a higher res version helps, but the textures and lightning conditions did change a lot. I see your points but it does look better overall.
If you try to play the original ACIII on a modern display (OLED, 4K), and then compare it to this "remastered" version, there is a LOT of IQ gains in the new image. Yes its the minimum but it creates a big impact.

Even Xbox X Enhanced games with only increased resolution and (maybe) HDR look amazing on new displays compared to the original. This goes beyond that, so why exactly are we complaining?

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
this game is the reason i didnt play a single assassin creed game ever again until odyssey. It was so disappointing because i liked the potential of the main character in this one.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
this game is the reason i didnt play a single assassin creed game ever again until odyssey. It was so disappointing because i liked the potential of the main character in this one.

You should try Origins. Best setting (by far) in Egypt, good protagonist, incredible detail and art design (much less "gamey" than Oddysey), etc.

Oddysey had gameplay improvements but Origins is a far superior experience for me.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
Is this coming to pc because I'm gonna need a sweetfx to "demaster" it a little.

I remember hearing that the production of this game was a bit of a nightmare and a bunch of stuff(like a line battle sequence) got cut. If they added that stuff back in that would be a hell of a remaster.

Edit: after a quick search the rumor of assassins creed 3's production woes seems to be from a Reddit post and never confirmed.

Last edited:

MercBerserk

Oct 25, 2017
Feels wierd coming into this thread. Im one of those oddballs that actually liked this game. (100% it too)

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Homestead missions were one of the best parts of the game for me.

Excited to do all of them again.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand the hate for 3. The menus were bad, yes, but the mission design was just fine, and the setpieces were actually great. The dialogue is also on the high echelon of the franchise.

I think the backslash comes from Connor not being reskinned Nathan Drake and it being a bit sour in tone, not to mention some fatigue at the time, but maybe people will actually like it now.

I'm excited.

I was very, very open to a Native American main character, like really excited for it, and I was so sick of the snide sarcastic main character every other game had at the time... so I was all in. And... AC3 was the first AC game I legitimately disliked and just put down. I was really into AC and AC2, liked Brotherhood enough, and I started to get tired of it by Revelations (I thought the writing from Brotherhood and Revelations was getting into comic-book-bad territory)... but I was invested a bit in the story and so I finished it, but started to really dislike the gameplay by the end of that game. When ACIII came out, and it was identical in so many ways to AC2/Brotherhood/Revelations in almost every gameplay mechanic, and it hadn't improved any of the gameplay flaws or gameplay hooks that were problems since AC2... I was really fatigued by the series, and the overall ho-hum story the game started out with, it gave me a pretty bad taste in my mouth. I didn't hate the game, but I was very fatigued with the series, I stopped playing, and never really came back to the series.

I think the backlash against it was appropriate. It was the 4th consecutive game to use identical mechanics, and it didn't do anything to address how tired the franchise was becoming, and in 3 years they had spit out 4 games really fast without improving or changing any of the core mechanics of the game, enough for it to make a difference.

ACIII was a classic example of series fatigue, to me. If ACIII was the second Assassins Creed game, rather than the fifth, then I think it'd be thought of a lot differently. ACIV ended up being thought of a lot better precisely because they changed up a lot of the gameplay, adding in sailing ships, large open seas, and more, some of the most refreshing parts of ACIII and built a whole game on those. But, when you got to the islands into the main gameplay sequences, it felt like a lot more of the same, same flaws, same gameplay loop, same tired mechanics.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Sunlight filtering through the trees is one of the most beautiful aspects of modern Assassin's Creed games, but somehow people have managed to spin a massive lighting overhaul for what is possibly the visually blandest game in the series as a bad thing. The promotional shots for the remaster seem to indicate they've tried to make the game more visually varied. Oh, they're totally bullshots, but they do seem to match the aesthetic of the trailer footage.
AC3R_11HomesteadLeapOfFaith_Screen_PR_190206_5pm_CET_1549381040.jpg

AC3R_17ConnorAndAvelineLiberation_Screen_PR_190206_5pm_CET_1549381036.jpg

AC3R_14BunkerHill_Screen_PR_190206_5pm_CET_1549381039.jpg

AC3R_08Port_Screen_PR_190206_5pm_CET_1549381042.jpg

AC3R_12NewYorkFort_Screen_PR_190206_5pm_CET_1549381028.jpg

AC3R_07Combat_Screen_PR_190206_5pm_CET_1549381025.jpg

Assassin's Creed 3 had its moments visually but more often than not you ended up with this bland grey soup. Particularly in the city areas. Some areas would have some nice sunlight, but then you'd turn sideways and be faced with a sea of grey. Also ludicrous levels of NPC pop-in.

Also, the AC3 PC port was terrible. Huge performance woes, and game breaking bugs. I really, really hope the remaster is on par with recent Ubi PC games.

These images prove a "piss" filter doesn't cover the entire game and is simply a time of day effect due to the new lighting. Anyway, I'm hyped and I can't wait to see more.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
What this game lacked in innovation it made up for with its story and protagonist. Connor just might be my most favorite AC character, and I feel like he wasn't popular because he didn't have stereotypical qualities. But I loved his character, and it's sad how his story concludes in the game. I wish there was a proper sequel to his story, even though they continued it to some extent in the comics.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has always perplexed me. They cast a Native American voice actor in the role, who specifically chose to play the character as someone who speaks English as a second language and Mohawk as a first. The voice acting was so detailed that they consciously chose to slowly increase Connor's use of contractions throughout the main story to depict his increasing familiarity with English. They brought in Mohawk tribal consultants for virtually all aspects of Connor's character and his tribe, down to accurately depicting Mohawk, to the way their camp is set up, to the clothing they wear.

It's honestly an exhaustive attempt at respectful and accurate representation.

And it came out and people just shit on him.
I've honestly always found the disdain for Connor to be perplexing. It's extremely interesting how Ubisoft clearly had a bone to pick with how audiences reacted to him. His profile in AC4 is one of the most passive-aggressive things Ubisoft have ever created.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This is false
Look at the chandeliers in the theater, for example.
afaDetX.png

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah looks like a v solid remaster, they really blew it with the yellow filter though.

That's all anyone's talking about.

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watch the right side of the screen carefully during the filter swipes. You'll quickly see that you're completely wrong.

The most obvious example to me was the flowers in the final gameplay sequence. Look vastly improved and are indeed completely different flowers with white bulbs (unlike the simple grass reeds to begin with).

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Yeah looks like a v solid remaster, they really blew it with the yellow filter though.

That's all anyone's talking about.
Correct. I couldn't help but notice the terrible yellow coloring.
Into today's world, that just gets a hash tag and the Ramaster's rep is forever ruined: #AC3PissFilter

On PC, there will probably be ReShade's to help with that questionable remaster choice. But if there aren't significant gameplay improvements to make revisiting the game worthwhile in the first place, there will be no point.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Mainly hyped for the Washington DLC, since I never got a chance to play it on PS3 and I read the PC version is broken. Already played Liberation, but on the Vita so I might give it another shot. Not sure about III though, that Platinum was a bitch to get on PS3, I might just give a quick playthrough but then again I do remember that some o the homestead missions where actually pretty great (if you actually do them) so maybe Ill have to go for the platinum again -_-

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Correct. I couldn't help but notice the terrible yellow coloring.
Into today's world, that just gets a hash tag and the Ramaster's rep is forever ruined: #AC3PissFilter

On PC, there will probably be ReShade's to help with that questionable remaster choice. But if there aren't significant gameplay improvements to make revisiting the game worthwhile in the first place, there will be no point.

Agreed, not sure about the bolded though. This is a remaster, not a remake. I doubt there will be gameplay improvements that are THAT significant. It'll be smoother and perhaps a touch nicer to play, that's all.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Uhm, isn't AC3 the one that is mostly in the snow?

Snow = cold colors usually.

This golden lighting everywhere not only looks awful, but it also makes no sense whatsoever.

Imagine if they took a Batman game and gave it the colors of Fortnite. What happened to art direction?

This has nothing to do with art direction. You can see that the lighting is golden at times when the sun is setting or rising. You don't honestly expect similar lighting when there's snow, do you?

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
I'd argue in general, the game has the best animation of all the AC games, bested only by Unity.

In no small part to Jonathan Cooper. Ubisoft losing him to Naughty Dog was a true shame.

Ohh well him moving to Naughty Dog makes it make a lot more sense, I remember playing the later games and feeling let down that things didn't look as badass they did in AC3.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have played the game two times and the second time i only did the main missions and it was a much better experience.

Unless they changed something i will do exactly the same.

I am also interested in the DLC which i never played.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
To be honest animations in Ubisoft games went downhill as soon as they went after more systemic design. But AC games got biggest hit.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I will never get this version because it would mean i have to play the beginning of the game again..

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently replaying Watch_Dogs 2 and the animation in that game is really, really, really good. (The original WD1 had worse animation in general but it had better character facial animation, IMHO.) It's kinda weird how the Assassin's Creed games have significantly worse animation than its sister series. There's also Far Cry. IMO, Far Cry really needs to work on its full body immersion stuff. When you compare Homefront: The Revolution to Far Cry 5, there's a sense of physical presence in HFTR that is missing in FC5. The way your character reaches out to touch doors, place their hand on cover surfaces, and generally align their body with the environment. That's in spite of HFTR having some pretty conspicuous animation bugs like your character's knees not behaving properly when jogging backwards.

Ubisoft have had animation problems since about 2015. Watch_Dogs and AC: Unity may have been deeply troubled projects that were lucky to release as well as they did in 2014, but they had top notch facial animation, character animation, etc. Heck, you had Far Cry 4 the same year and its facial animation was really good. Just two years earlier, people had been blown away by the Far Cry 3 trailer. But then, with the exception of Watch_Dogs 2, things started getting dicey. GR: Wildlands has pretty poor "conversation" animations. Far Cry became strangely hit and miss animation-wise.

I can't comment on The Division or The Division 2 because I've never really played those games. But For Honor has really good character animation thanks to motion matching technology, which that game pioneered. Hopefully the next set of Ubisoft games -- Splinter Cell, Watch_Dogs 3, Beyond Good & Evil 2, etc -- are a return to form for the company. I really hope they implement motion matching in some of those titles.

Far Cry New Dawn does seem pretty promising, I must note. In particular, they seem to have improved the facial animation systems. FC5 had pretty decent facial animation, with some really awesome subtle stuff going on (next gen snot sniffling technology), but character faces could look a bit... stiff sometimes. And as I mentioned FC5 has problems with its first person animation. You look down and walk around and it's... it's not right. This is something games like Crysis got right over a decade ago.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue in general, the game has the best animation of all the AC games, bested only by Unity.

In no small part to Jonathan Cooper. Ubisoft losing him to Naughty Dog was a true shame.

yeah this game isn't great but god damn if fucking dudes up with the tomahawk didn't look incredible

7Z7

May 30, 2018
A comparative video shows that the original prevails over many points. We can be reassured that the comparison is made between in-game images and a lower quality YouTube video but for the most part it gives an idea of the poor quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1z83dwUNBY

New graphics engine they were saying....

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It looks better for sure

Assassin's Creed III was a favourite of mine. I don't know if I feel like replaying two older Assassin's Creed games, though.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A comparative video shows that the original prevails over many points. We can be reassured that the comparison is made between in-game images and a lower quality YouTube video but for the most part it gives an idea of the poor quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1z83dwUNBY

New graphics engine they were saying....
The original clearly has problems with light sources. Character faces in the original look like they've had their features highlighted with a felt tip pen. The new lighting model is subtler and more naturalistic. Notice how in the original, character hats cast visible shadows over their faces without searing light? That's not how light works. The original has a very dim look, too. Surfaces such as snow are more or less the same brightness as the rest if the scene.

One shot that does look a little unusual is Connor's face in he snow. But again note how in the original, there are strong black shadows cast onto snow under his arm and such. Snow reflects light.

More realistic lighting modela are always contentious, particularly for games with non-photorealistic visuals.

Also, some of the clips are from different times of day, including one that appears to be during the day compared to one during the night.

Until people get their hands on the actual game, judging some aspects. Are very tricky.

Last edited:

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
https:///club-ubisoft-now-lists-assassins-creed-iii-remastered-for-nintendo-switch/

Now listed also for Switch