• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
This came from Embracer recent acquisition

Aspyr has an exciting pipeline and is looking to build on its' vast catalogue during the next few years as well as to bring out new content based on multiple licensed IP's. Aspyr currently has several games under development including one major ongoing game development project with a approximately budget of USD 70 million that is expected to become an important for the entire group. These development projects will engage more than 200 internal and external developers with the core team in Austin, Texas, and will contribute to Embracer's release slate in the coming years.

Aspyr is known for Star Wars ports on Mac/Mobile and Switch.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Much like Bluepoint, they would make the best candidate to reimagine KOTOR since they did the ports.

Astroroom

Aug 19, 2020
Check out their job listings.

Aspyr Media

Hi, We're Aspyr, a leading entertainment publisher that creates, packages and delivers fun to millions around the world. Hailing from Austin, Texas, Aspyr strives relentlessly to ensure a quality experience for our industry partners and our players.
They are 100% making an original game, not a remaster. Hiring combat, level, and cinematic designers. All signs point to KOTOR from the insider hinting to the Bioware hires.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Saw similar theories on reddit. I can believe it, especially if they're going after Bioware Austin people.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I still hope it's not just another remake ... give me a new game instead. Zero interest in replaying the same story with the same characters.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019

Aspyr Media

Hi, We're Aspyr, a leading entertainment publisher that creates, packages and delivers fun to millions around the world. Hailing from Austin, Texas, Aspyr strives relentlessly to ensure a quality experience for our industry partners and our players.
They are 100% making an original game, not a remaster. Hiring combat, level, and cinematic designers. All signs point to KOTOR from the insider hinting to the Bioware hires.

Could you link me to this insider's comments?

pegaso

Oct 28, 2017

Aspyr Media

Hiring combat, level and cinematic designers is not proof that they're not working on remaster, you need all those roles if you re-do or even tinker with the original stuff. If insider leaks say it's not a remaster then sure, but the hires don't mean anything one way or the other.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I still hope it's not just another remake ... give me a new game instead. Zero interest in replaying the same story with the same characters.
I doubt it'll be a remake given Lucasarts wanting all media to fit into its new timeline; it'd likely be a reboot. If they do use the same setting and characters, it's going to be reworked to fit the new canon.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it'll be a remake given Lucasarts wanting all media to fit into its new timeline; it'd likely be a reboot. If they do use the same setting and characters, it's going to be reworked to fit the new canon.
Yeah, but probably with the same big story twists and general similarities to the original which is already an interest killer for me.

OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020
EMBRACER JUST CONFIRMED IN A LIVE STREAM PRESENTATION THAT ASPYR IS WORKING ON A TRIPLE-A LICENSED TITLE.

That's the KOTOR confirmation

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
AAA KOTOR with only 70million? Can you imagine how botched up it will be?

Let's be real, make it proper and go with CRPG route, something like Wasteland 3 and Baldur's Gate 3.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
Veering between hoping they change nothing except the visuals and desperately wanting to play this game with a different combat system. Like you could legit get through the original by just spamming Master Flurry and lightning

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
The Mac port is going to be awesome. Best of luck to them on whatever it turns out to be

Sep 7, 2020
I wonder if this is the case, how much will be changed and/or updated in the remake. I am assuming the combat will be updated for sure but how much of the story is different, player choices, loot, etc.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hiring combat, level and cinematic designers is not proof that they're not working on remaster, you need all those roles if you re-do or even tinker with the original stuff. If insider leaks say it's not a remaster then sure, but the hires don't mean anything one way or the other.
One of their hires was Courtney Woods as Lead Writer. She was a writer on Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect Andromeda, and SWTOR. They wouldn't have a Lead Writer for a remaster.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Glad to see it confirmed, I hope it's a successful title for everybody involved.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Just happy that it exists. Puts an end to the years of hoping we'd see something else in the KOTOR universe.

I honestly don't care if it's a remake, reboot, spiritual sequel, sequel, or High Republic pseudo sequel, I just want something.

Hope we see it soon.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
One of their hires was Courtney Woods as Lead Writer. She was a writer on Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect Andromeda, and SWTOR. They wouldn't have a Lead Writer for a remaster.

Based on what we've headed through rumors, this game will be a reimagining of the original two games put together. You'd definitely need a lead writer for that.

My pet theory is that part of this reimagining is that the game will shift into being set in the High Republic, so that it will maintain and be a part of the new canon.