• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Rules:

- No playing video games on any device. This includes flash games, phone games, electronic versions of things like crossword puzzles and card games. Know that Netflix choose your own adventure movie? That counts.
- No watching other people play video games. YouTube Let's Plays, E-sports, watching your friend play Madden etc.
- No going to conventions that involve video games related stuff.
- No discussing video games in communities like this one. This includes Discord, Twitch, Reddit etc.
- No buying video games or video game related memorabilia. This is for all you collectors out there.
- No buying hardware that is for gaming. This means even if you find an RTX 2080 for $100, you can't buy it.
- No games media of any sort. Can't go to YouTube to check out the latest trailers. Can't go to Giant Bomb to read the reviews for instance. Video game music is borderline. I think a fair compromise is you can listen to covers of famous video game songs but not the songs in their original form ala a soundtrack.

You get the money at the end of the year.

Follow up question: Would you do it for 10 years and $1 million? Again, money is given out at the end in one lump sum.

If you work in the Games Industry, you're obviously DQ'ed from taking part in this thread because I can't imagine how you would avoid games like this.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Hate to be redundant, but: yes, easily.

edit: OP, I don't think you're gonna get as much of a different opinion from gaming side, either. I'd imagine there are relatively few people in the world who are so well off + love gaming so much they couldn't step away from the hobby for a year in this scenario.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
PM me for details, will send contact information

:3

But honestly my backlog has already reached catastrophic levels so why not get paid to add to it and take off jet setting for a year lol

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Good lord yes. If you're saying no, you better be independently wealthy because games aren't that important.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
I wouldn't even have to think about it. Done deal.

There's so much I could do with the money and time: movies, music, travel, cooking, exercise, drawing, painting.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Begrudgingly yes.

I would stop gaming for a year in order to wipe out my debt.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, there are plenty of other things to do. I would also do the 10 years for one million.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could pay off all of my student loan debt and catch up on my backlog of books. Absolutely I would do it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I mean sure, but some of this seems like a pain in the ass. If someone whips out a game in front of me and starts playing is my 100K suddenly revoked?

I couldn't do the 10 years for 1 million though.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll just direct my gaming time to K-Pop time, easy 100k. Also, I can stills read my art books so even easier.

I'll send you my lawyer to pick the money next year.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Yes to the first one. The second one is tougher, but probably not. Gaming is my favorite hobby. I could find something else to do for 10 years, sure, but it's one of my favorite things to do. 10 years is a long time. Not sure it's worth it.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I have enough money to live a happy life. No reason to give up a big source of fun just for more money.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would do it for a year as i have done it before, wouldn't do the 10 years though.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
OMG yes. Rules like having to stay away from here would probably just be better for my mental health in the long run anyway lol. This would be the easiest decision ever

As for the second question, that's tougher. I'd want to wait until the end of the one year to see how I feel about it. I could see a reality where, at the end of the one year, I'd be more than happy to give it up for good.

Nov 4, 2017
Do I get the $100k on top of my salary? If so then hells yeah. I could pay my house off in like 3 years. I'd do it for 3 years (if given the option) then come back just in time for PS5 to be hitting it's stride. Woot.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
No, 100k is too low of a figure considering all of those restrictions...

If it was just don't play any video games, sure I could do that for a year. But all the other rules added on would mean you have to constantly be thinking and worrying about potentially breaking them.

Last edited:

Kirie

Oct 25, 2017
Oh goodness, easily. Would pay off my husband's and my student loans while being able to put a hefty chunk into savings. Would be able to put more time into my other hobbies (knitting, book reading, etc). Though I'd have to be careful since my husband works in the industry, lol.

10 years though? Nah.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
- No watching other people play video games. YouTube Let's Plays, E-sports, watching your friend play Madden etc.
This makes it a nope for me. I have other hobbies but my friends live at the other end of the country and spend most of their evenings streaming games on Twitch. I can't travel for multiple reasons and so can't they. That's pretty much all of my social life and the only time I can really "meet up" with my friends. I mean, we have deep discussions on Discord and whatever, but no I could never ever give up hanging out with them on Twitch for a whole year. Even if you give me a million dollars. My friends are so much more important than that.