• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Oh yeah I *was* backslashbunny.

I FEEL LIKE THIS IS REALLY OBVIOUS Y'ALL. I EVEN HAVE THE SAME AVATAR.

I guess I could be a fake.

But Pet is so much shorter and easier and less hassley. Plus whenever I saw BSB I thought of bullshitbuns, which may be apt , but that's not the point.

ohkay

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of lurking, I'm gonna try to be active here this time around, so hello fellow asians and non asians!

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
I should be more involved in this thread. I'm Asian but my go-to quick dish is pasta. My rice cooker hasn't seen use in weeks.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see a lot of familiar avatars here. It's going to take some time figuring out who changed to new nicks and avatars though.

Great thread title!

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I should be more involved in this thread. I'm Asian but my go-to quick dish is pasta. My rice cooker hasn't seen use in weeks.

No shame in that. My husband and I hardly eat rice these days, and his go-to dish (which is fucking delicious), is pasta.

BTW even though this is the Asian thread, let me share my husband's killer pasta sauce.

San Marzano tomatoes (canned)
Onion (halved)
Italian sausage (out of casing, ground)
Cheese (for grating)
Squashes (zucchini is a good one, green and yellows)

All you do is simmer the onion in the tomatoes until the onion is soft, then discard most of the onion (you can chop up a bit and add it back in). Stirfry the sausage, add that to the sauce. Dice up the squash, then add that to the mix. Simmer simmer simmer (like really, 1 hour at most). All of that over perfectly al dente pasta with a bit of fresh grated cheese and -- best meal ever.

e4KXUL5.jpg

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Question for SEA peoples: what would you put in curry puffs? My mum only uses potato and onion, while a friend suggested egg and chicken.

(Also, hi Asia-Era. Im asian-aussie but never felt asian enough to post in this community before)

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I haven't eaten rice in ages tbh. But that's cause I've been kinda watching my caloric intake and I hate the taste of whole grain rice. Like, I know that it's edible (and I do eat and cook it) but having been raised on white rice it's pretty much impossible for me to enjoy it considering I know what white rice tastes like.

Probably gonna hit up the J-Curry place in Berkeley tomm for lunch, speaking of which, who serves delicious white rice.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What about brown rice or purple rice? I like to mix brown rice, white rice, sweet rice, Calrose rice, and quinoa into a blend.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I sometimes do a 50/50 mix of brown (whole grain)/ white rice. I have those whole grain rices that supposedly mimic the taste of white rice but I feel like it's pretty impossible to actually get the right flavor to mimic the taste and texture of white rice from brown, no matter how hard you try.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all! I didn't really participate in this OT on the old forum, it I do know that the Filipino community had an OT for themselves. At times it could be really active, latest back in April 2016 but then it had been quiet ever since Duterte came to power the month after. And so I'm not sure if I would go ahead and create the FilipinoERA OT or if the community was hanging out in here with the rest of the Asian community? I'm kind of bummed i can't seem to find them, and I know we had plenty on the old forum, as I love to talk about Philippine politics, what's currently going on in the Philippines, Tagalog movies I'm currently going through and being excited about, or even the food that I love, maybe share family stories or getting advice when going on a trip there.

Now I'll watch this thread, as I love the entire continent of Asia, and all the different cultures it has, and I love learning more about countries cultures and its people. So this will be a fine place I can tell already. I do know about one or two others from the Philippines who are on here, but I'm still unsure if I should go ahead and make the thread. There's so much to talk about, especially with the current political landscape and problems our country is facing and trying to iron out. I just started reading my Tagalog language educational books too, and Pia Wurtzbach is stills rocking the fashion world, and is soon to be seen in the Avengers spoof movie The Revengers. Hell, football is struggling but the fans are fighting really hard to get people interested in the sport. I have so many things to talk about, and so many questions I wanna ask.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Hi

You know I feel like I dont belong culturally. Always been very ashamed of my heritage and still am in many ways

Wish I made more connections with people like me. Its part of a bigger crisis I'm going through and Im not the kind of asian that particularly falls into this thread probably, but its neat to see such a community and I enjoyed reading the op

I'll probably lurk around

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi

You know I feel like I dont belong culturally. Always been very ashamed of my heritage and still am in many ways

Wish I made more connections with people like me. Its part of a bigger crisis I'm going through and Im not the kind of asian that particularly falls into this thread probably, but its neat to see such a community and I enjoyed reading the op

You are welcome here.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Hi

If you are a person, you fit in here and are welcome here.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Sup guys, I was never too active in the old thread but I always kept my eye on it. Glad everybody who's here made it over and hopefully anybody not here yet will get back here if that's what they want.

Brown rice? Kill me.

Brown rice is actually top tier. It's just a fact that most Asians are still in denial about I'm an expert on this so my word is law.

Jomatto

Oct 25, 2017
Hi y'all. Just wondering if anybody else been in the situation where you grew up speaking one language, then English replaced it, and now you can barely speak the old one any more? It's always bothered me to see how others can speak to their parents so easily while I'm struggling to form coherent sentences.

RapidCancel

Oct 26, 2017
Hi y'all. Just wondering if anybody else been in the situation where you grew up speaking one language, then English replaced it, and now you can barely speak the old one any more? It's always bothered me to see how others can speak to their parents so easily while I'm struggling to form coherent sentences.
Not really, but I've known and have had a ton of friends (probably the majority of my friends) that struggle to speak Chinese/Vietnamese/whatever with their parents. Most of us speak with some sort of broken chinglish type thing to communicate, so you aren't alone. Either that, or they'll understand what is being said, but can't reply back in anything but English.

No shame in that. My husband and I hardly eat rice these days, and his go-to dish (which is fucking delicious), is pasta.

BTW even though this is the Asian thread, let me share my husband's killer pasta sauce.

San Marzano tomatoes (canned)
Onion (halved)
Italian sausage (out of casing, ground)
Cheese (for grating)
Squashes (zucchini is a good one, green and yellows)

All you do is simmer the onion in the tomatoes until the onion is soft, then discard most of the onion (you can chop up a bit and add it back in). Stirfry the sausage, add that to the sauce. Dice up the squash, then add that to the mix. Simmer simmer simmer (like really, 1 hour at most). All of that over perfectly al dente pasta with a bit of fresh grated cheese and -- best meal ever.

e4KXUL5.jpg
As a pasta lover, I'm in heaven just reading this.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of cousins like this.

Hi

Tell us a bit more about yourself! Why do you feel this way?

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.

I know exactly what you mean. Since leaving my parents' house almost immediately after high school graduation, I hardly use the language of the old country, since I practically only use it to converse with my parents. As the years went by, I speak it less and less, and since we live in different countries now, I don't have anyone to practice it regularly with, sort of speak, since I will revert back to English whenever I had troubles remembering vocabulary.

My parents didn't mind though, that's one good thing about it :-)

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017

I know how this feels. Unfortunately I was never great at speaking my language although I think I was actually better when I was really young. It's hard for me to have conversations with my parents because I can only speak in very simple terms. My wife on the other hand speaks our language fluently and has a really great relationship with my mom. I often joke to her that my mom may love me more, but she likes her more.

I do feel ashamed about it though. Part of that has to do with being one of the oldest of those born and raised in America. I'm not a kid or a teenager, I'm 34 and most of my peers can still speak it fluently or at least decently. I'd rate myself as 5/10 at best so I can barely get by and am pretty nervous when approached by an older person by myself at family stuff lol.