• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
The more I read the topics in Gaming and OT, the more I hate how desperately everyone wants tokenism and doesn't realize it. :-/

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Originally posted by Malyse in BCC. This shit is crazy.

Also, if you're American, make sure you get your ass out and vote today.

This is depressing..

Oh yeah, yesterday a guy asked me if I was above or below 19 years old. Guess I'm still in the category of the thread title.

I am 28 and I regularly get asked for my ID when buying beer here in Germany (beer is legal for everyone aged 16+)... I guess I should be happy about looking young, but if I think about it, it's annoying that I pass off as 15 for some people...

Oct 28, 2017
The more I read the topics in Gaming and OT, the more I hate how desperately everyone wants tokenism and doesn't realize it. :-/

If I wasn't still a junior, I would have made a thread asking for more Jewish characters. There is a DIRE lack of them, and it sucks. We don't even have our own Street Fighter character yet.

I plan to rectify this once I become a game designer though. My first game will be an action RPG set in ancient Israel.

Oct 28, 2017
Are there other Jewish characters? I can only think of the professor in Wolfenstein New Order

I can't think of a single game aside from Wolfenstein that features Jewish characters in any capacity. And if the industry people I've spoken to over the years are to be believed, it's because most publishers are skeptical that anyone will buy a game with a Jewish main character (and I think that attitude really says it all).

Deleted member 1287

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
lol, that last sentence
Like we would think about our asianness looking in the mirror as if we don't see our own face everyday

All these little things are why I honestly am just too tired to date someone who's not Asian. The vetting system to try and find a good person who ISN'T seeing me as "Asian" before "person" is just so tedious.

(Side note - why it's tough dating, too, as a chick anyway. I want to be a person before a woman!)

AznMan37

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Apparently Otacon is supposed to be Jewish in MGS but I don't remember that ever being brought up.

There is Jewish heritage on my father's side though.

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
What ethnicity am I?
Italian? Brazilian? Canadian? (yes, that's a real guess) ... The thread title gives it away of course, partly.
I don't think about it much of the time, but honestly being "Eurasian" can be annoying. Like, I consider myself Australian first and foremost, since that's where I've always been and I have constant contact with that side while my Chinese relatives are an infrequent 8-hour flight away, and my name is English (well Germanic at any rate). And then someone says "but where are you from?" and I get blindsided by the fact that some people (both locals and foreigners) refuse to believe that I'm just as if not more local than they are. Feels bad man.

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't B.J. Blazkowicz Jewish? He is the main character in the Wolfenstein series.

He is, but he's more or less the only (visibly or otherwise) Jewish character in a game that I know of.

EDIT: And Magneto, but he's a comic villain. Disney also seems to be making an effort to bury his Jewish roots.

Apparently Otacon is supposed to be Jewish in MGS but I don't remember that ever being brought up.

There is Jewish heritage on my father's side though.

I had no idea about that either.

Come to think of it, are there any Jewish roles in film/TV (besides Wonder Woman and some of Jeff Goldblum's older films) that aren't comedy goofball roles, whitewashed (i.e. Jewish and other minority actors getting major roles only because they look ambiguous enough to bury their ethnic background and pass themselves off as white), or stereotypical roles as geeks, hypochondriacs, bankers, villains, exotic weirdos, Arabs, etc? I'm just wondering if there's stuff that I'm missing.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
What ethnicity am I?
Italian? Brazilian? Canadian? (yes, that's a real guess) ... The thread title gives it away of course, partly.
I don't think about it much of the time, but honestly being "Eurasian" can be annoying. Like, I consider myself Australian first and foremost, since that's where I've always been and I have constant contact with that side while my Chinese relatives are an infrequent 8-hour flight away, and my name is English (well Germanic at any rate). And then someone says "but where are you from?" and I get blindsided by the fact that some people (both locals and foreigners) refuse to believe that I'm just as if not more local than they are. Feels bad man.

"Where are you from?"
"Sydney"
"No, but where are you from?"
"Hornsby. Hornsby Hospital, if you want to get more specific."

I loath that question

AznMan37

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I also hate that question. Where are you really from though? Then they start to get angry when I insist I'm from Northeast Ohio.

I think one of the more perplexing things that happened to me was that my high school girlfriend's friend tried to say I had accent. Even though I lived in that area my whole life up to that point and I can only speak English. Everyone told her how stupid she was but she kept saying I talked differently.

Oct 28, 2017
My darker/more ethnic looking folks get that question constantly. As do I, whenever someone finds out I'm related to them by blood, or hears my name, or some other dead giveaway. I usually lie about my background ("oh, I'm Puerto Rican" or some other glib, kneejerk "Hispanic" response) because I have no way of knowing if they're violent/rabid antisemites or not.

"Where are you from?"
"What's it to ya?"
"No come on, I gotta know. Where are you from?"
"WHAT'S IT TO YA?"
*steals wallet and checks ID*
"Aha, your hometown is....Watzitooya? What kind of ridiculous name is that?"
"That's MY ridiculous hometown. What's it to ya?"

*Yes, that was inspired by a Spongebob episode. Those who have seen it will know what I'm talking about.*

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's frustrating because it makes me think they just want to be able to hit that checkbox and call it a day.
Yeah I could live my entire life without seeing another story about a inner city kid selling drugs. You can tell that story, but you best have something to say.

I am so happy that Marvel is bringing in Jimmy Woo in the next Antman movie, badass Asian superspy? that is damn near a unicorn

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
I also hate that question. Where are you really from though? Then they start to get angry when I insist I'm from Northeast Ohio.

I think one of the more perplexing things that happened to me was that my high school girlfriend's friend tried to say I had accent. Even though I lived in that area my whole life up to that point and I can only speak English. Everyone told her how stupid she was but she kept saying I talked differently.
Northeast Ohio represent, and I've heard the exact same thing, just from other people and I don't get it either.

Keyboard

"Where are you from?"

"No really? Where are you from?"

Is this something appropriate to ask a white person?

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I've replied a few times with, "I'm from Minnesota, what about you?" Then they tell me what state they're from, and then I tell them where my parents are from because that's usually what they want to know.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I haven't really encountered white people asking me in that way, usually they really just mean what part of the US I'm from haha. It's usually other Asian people asking me if I'm also Chinese, Korean, Viet, etc.

There was one dude in high school who asked me "no I meant where are you really from", and when I said "LA" he was like "oh shit that was really racist of me wasn't it, I'm really sorry"

I guess I've been lucky lol

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
tbh sydney is multicultural enough that most new people you meet at my age don't ask that kinda crap (anecdotally/spuriously I think the diff is if you went to primary school with multiple ethnic groups). But every once in a while...

Deleted member 1287

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I haven't really encountered white people asking me in that way, usually they really just mean what part of the US I'm from haha. It's usually other Asian people asking me if I'm also Chinese, Korean, Viet, etc.

There was one dude in high school who asked me "no I meant where are you really from", and when I said "LA" he was like "oh shit that was really racist of me wasn't it, I'm really sorry"

I guess I've been lucky lol
It's the same for me, Asian folks usually ask me what my nationality is. White folks play guessing games. Are you Hawaiian? Korean? Chinese? Native American? One guy asked me my background, then then told me "no... you're Korean... maybe a little Japanese too"

I've had some people start speaking Spanish to me, get mad when I'm like, "que?" They'd angrily ask where I'm from, then get embarrassed and apologize.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I could live my entire life without seeing another story about a inner city kid selling drugs. You can tell that story, but you best have something to say.

I am so happy that Marvel is bringing in Jimmy Woo in the next Antman movie, badass Asian superspy? that is damn near a unicorn

Yep. It's like "See! There's a black kid in the story! We care about diversity!" <facepalm>. Sad thing is, most people tend to absolutely encourage that kind of context-less metric keeping and judge entertainment (and the creators personal views / morality) off of it, so until we stop being superficial idiots who want to look good to our peers, we're just gonna keep perpetuating the problem.

"Where are you from?"

"No really? Where are you from?"

Is this something appropriate to ask a white person?

I do it all the time in Seattle, lol. But Seattle is full of folks who move here from elsewhere, so it's always fun finding out where folks are from.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I've replied a few times with, "I'm from Minnesota, what about you?" Then they tell me what state they're from, and then I tell them where my parents are from because that's usually what they want to know.
growing up I had a friend who's mom had the HARD Minnesotan accent, and me being an ignorant kid thought she was from Europe

Yep. It's like "See! There's a black kid in the story! We care about diversity!" <facepalm>. Sad thing is, most people tend to absolutely encourage that kind of context-less metric keeping and judge entertainment (and the creators personal views / morality) off of it, so until we stop being superficial idiots who want to look good to our peers, we're just gonna keep perpetuating the problem.

I do it all the time in Seattle, lol. But Seattle is full of folks who move here from elsewhere, so it's always fun finding out where folks are from.
Yeah that is another thing that a lot of folks think all representation should be upstanding and clear angels. Nah, being a villain or a scum bad is fine just don't make it all PoC can be.

Walter White is one of the most popular characters in recent memory, and dude is pure evil.

Keyboard

Speaking of Hollywood, anyone think it keeps perpetuating the stereotype of Asian females are subservient beautiful sex slaves/damsel in distress, and Asian males are just loveless friends/sidekicks for some slapstick humor?

Like one example, in Hollywood's dramatization of Facebook origins, The Social Network, Asian females are portrayed the preferred ethnicity in many scenes including an explicit one. Is that Hollywood's projection of Silicon Valley men's dating preferences and elsewhere, and if so, is it an accurate reflection?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
growing up I had a friend who's mom had the HARD Minnesotan accent, and me being an ignorant kid thought she was from Europe

Yeah that is another thing that a lot of folks think all representation should be upstanding and clear angels. Nah, being a villain or a scum bad is fine just don't make it all PoC can be.

Walter White is one of the most popular characters in recent memory, and dude is pure evil.

Yeah. Perfect can be the enemy of good in a lot of these cases, and I believe that we end up hurting overall representation by demanding it, and then nitpicking at it because it doesn't fit our preconceived notions of what we specifically wanted the representation to be (pure good guy, etc etc). You will have true representation when complex villains can be PoC, as can mooks, as can sidekicks, as can heroes.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It's weird when people have quotas that they need met but are met that easily. "Got a black guy? Great, moving on."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Slayven - well, to be fair, tons of Minnesotans look like they could have just rolled off a Viking ship, and their accents are a bit pronounced and odd (it's pop not soda, donchaknow), so... I can see that.

Re: representation- sgklhdgkhsdg. I'm over it. I like seeing all the Asian stars in the Hollywood films but I'm tired of hearing how it's "pandering to China" and I'm tired of them not having any great roles or having heavy accents. WHATEVER.

Oct 28, 2017
Wow they jumped through some shady-ass loops for this

That's the scary part.

Now every Orientalist Jew-hating conspiracy theorist will feel vindicated. My hope is that Israel prosecutes this company (no, they don't work for the Israeli government - they are a private firm) to the fullest extent of the law. This company does NOT represent us (especially since Pechanac isn't even ethnically Jewish; she's a white woman whose family converted to Judaism).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
ShimshonNehorai - what's the difference between people who are Jewish in religion and Jewish by blood? I know the obvious difference, religion versus ethnicity, but what does that actually entail in the Middle East or in the Jewish culture (also, is Jewish culture centered around religion or blood?)

Oct 28, 2017
ShimshonNehorai - what's the difference between people who are Jewish in religion and Jewish by blood? I know the obvious difference, religion versus ethnicity, but what does that actually entail in the Middle East or in the Jewish culture (also, is Jewish culture centered around religion or blood?)

We consider ourselves a tribe/nation who, along with Samaritans, comprise the nation of Israel (i.e. the children of Israel). Converts are basically like immigrants to the Jewish nation: they are citizens with full rights/obligations/etc, even if they don't share our ethnicity (i.e. West Asian Semite/Levantine). For example, if I moved to France or Italy or some other country and went through the naturalization process, I would be a citizen and enjoy all of the attendant rights of those countries, even if I'm not part of the ethnic majority of that country. A lot of Native American tribes did the same thing i.e. they would adopt outsiders into their tribe and make them full members. However, there is a lot of distrust towards converts, especially in Israel itself.

Antisemites typically pounce on the fact that we have a naturalization process for outsiders (as most other nations do, barring hermit states like North Korea) as "proof" that we're not really a people, but this is nonsense. The vast, overwhelming majority of us are *not* converts: we trace most of our genetic heritage back to the Levant (i.e. the area comprising Israel, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, etc). A Jew in Poland or Germany or Russia has more in common (genetically and otherwise) with Jews in Iraq, Iran, North Africa, and the United States than he does with the surrounding (white/indigenous European) population.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Throughout history, converts have been exceedingly rare (except in Ethiopia, India, and China, due to the lack of persecution we faced in those areas), so our racial/genetic makeup is still overwhelmingly Middle Eastern (Jews play Arabs on TV all the time, and vice versa). Most "European"/Ashkenazi Jews still look like this (all of these photos are of celebrities, musicians, etc who are full Ashkenazi through all four grandparents). http://ashkenazim.weebly.com/gallery.html

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
As for Jewish culture itself, I would say the Jewish religion plays as much a part in our culture as Shintoism does in Japan, Hinduism in India, Zoroastrianism in Persia (before the Arab-Islamic conquests) and so on. Another thing to consider is that we are a colonized people. We were forced out of our land by Romans (more of us were driven out centuries later by Arabs and Crusaders) and faced many subsequent attempts at forced assimilation into European culture, especially by way of forced conversions to (a highly Europeanized version of) Christianity. We were also forced to adapt many aspects of our culture, including cuisine (we no longer had access to the ingredients we needed to make certain things), dress (turbans, robes, etc were eventually outlawed, and replaced with black hats and such), and music (see cuisine). Since Israel was re-established, we've gradually regained many of the things that were lost (although some things are, unfortunately, lost forever). Judaism itself is the best preserved part of our culture, along with the Hebrew language (despite it having been, until the late 19th century, replaced as a spoken language by creole-type diaspora fusions, like Yiddish), our code of laws, and (obviously) our national identity. However, colonization has also resulted in a collective Stockholm Syndrome of sorts, which is why there are a considerable number of Jews who reject their heritage and become antisemites themselves.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Oh interesting. Thanks!

Btw y'all, I'm still taking people's write ups and food pictures. :)