• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Hello! I am a model minority.

ToaCwMl.jpg

Please ignore the spoon and fork. We othered them for a reason

You ordered them for me, right?

So I can partake in that deliciousness.

I want dim sum now.

Bluesteel

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to share this with y'all:

Last night was my mom's birthday. We asked her where she wanted to go for dinner. She said Golden Corral... We went to Golden Corral.

And my mom keeps saying she hasn't assimilated well

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Hey can you guys teach me of your favourite yum cha dishes because I honest to god cannot remember their goddamn names.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
In really bummed out that there seem to be no way of buying Filipino movies. I'm based in Scandinavia, so buying DVDs from Amazon US is not possible since they don't ship to my address. I tried the Pinoy Box Office subscription for digital access on Amazon UK but it's limited to UK addresses. There's no online shops in the Philippines itself it seems.

And not only that, most movies are in SD and without subtitles but I'm actually fine with this. I just need to listen to the Tagalog in the films anyway.

How do you manage with movies from other countries in Asia?

Bluesteel

Oct 25, 2017
Is it a good thing that I've never been there before? If it is then I don't want to try Golden Corral, lol.

Here's what I have to say about Golden Corral: This is definitely a place that some families go to for a night out as a treat. If you got there I'm not gonna say you're a fool or anything. In some places/for some families, it's awesome and if you enjoy the food your eating, who am I to try and shit on your experience?

Having said that... yea I don't know why my mom wanted to eat here. I personally don't think it's great, and this is not a place we ate at all growing up either.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
what's golden corral

is this some orange chicken shit

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Here's what I have to say about Golden Corral: This is definitely a place that some families go to for a night out as a treat. If you got there I'm not gonna say you're a fool or anything. In some places/for some families, it's awesome and if you enjoy the food your eating, who am I to try and shit on your experience?

Having said that... yea I don't know why my mom wanted to eat here. I personally don't think it's great, and this is not a place we ate at all growing up either.

I guess it comes as being somewhat of an outsider to Golden Corral -- which as far as I know, mostly is in the South. It's basically bottom of the barrel all you can eat buffet food as far as I know. It's exists in a tier alongside places like Cici's Pizza and low end Chinese buffets, and below places like Ponderosa and Sizzler, which are below like the hotel style/Vegas style buffets.

It's a nice place for people to go and get what they want without having to worry about how much they are eating and what it'll cost. That being said, it's very much a quantity over quality experience, and the one that I went to was pretty clear about what it was serving. I'm also of the opinion that all you can eat buffet style places might be encouraging bad habits, generally, but maybe that's me being too nanny state about things.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017

Aight aight. Maybe it's something I'll need to try before I die, lol. I know for sure my family would rather go to a semi-nice themed restaurant instead of Golden Corral.

I'm thinking, for me and some friends, it might be a decent place to eat after some drinks after the bar or something.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Hey can you guys teach me of your favourite yum cha dishes because I honest to god cannot remember their goddamn names.

Just point to whatever you see when the cart passes by. I know most of the names, but sometimes I like to try the unique ones, where I don't know the names. Also, I assume you want the names in Cantonese, right?

Deleted member 1287

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand Golden Corral, but of course my mom wanted to go there on her birthday. Just garbage tier food :/

Galvan

Oct 25, 2017
You ordered them for me, right?

So I can partake in that deliciousness.

I want dim sum now.

I did!

beckons with chopsticks in left hand like a heathen

Sit, sit, eat with us

I want to stick my hand through the screen and eat that delicious food.

A man who never eats pork buns is not a whole man.

Yum!

I use chopsticks for cooking more than I use them for eating at home

Being hungover and hungry doesn't help. Now I just want to grab it through the screen, lol.

Plenty of soupy goodness for everyone

zkOu4FI.jpg

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA

Last Thursday, I went to one of the favorite Ramen shops in San Mateo. Most locals (and a few others) know of the trinity of ramen places in San Mateo (Ramen Dojo, Ramen Parlor and Santa Ramen), all owned by the same family and very good.

However, a personal dark horse option for good Japanese in San Mateo is Himawari, which is located smack in the middle of downtown. It serves the typical ramen fare, along with other bar food staples, like Karage chicken. During the summer, you can get Hiyashi Chuka, which isn't as commonly found and my one of my favorite summer dishes. They serve Barley Tea (mugicha) instead of water, which also adds to the homely Japanese feel.

The restaurant itself has a jazz aesthetic, which makes it lively at any hour and maybe reminiscent of Kids on the Slope. Wait times are reasonable compared to the 3 more famous shops, usually lasting no more than half an hour. That being said, Himawari is always busy, so don't be fooled by the shorter wait times, it's just less busy than the big 3.

Pictured above is the Asari Ramen and the Tan-Tan Men, both great choices on a colder fall evening in San Mateo.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Galvan - I actually went and got dim sum today because of those photos. haha

Miletius - ooh... Tsujita opened up a place that does tan tan men. Maybe I should check it out.

ALSO Y'ALL... @here haha... we're going to community spotlighted, so I'd really like to add a food section to the OP.

I'm unsure as to the best way to do this, but perhaps we can highlight a few cuisines, dust off the Asian Food List, and talk about some of the dishes? Preferably y'all would write a bit about your food (region in country, etc), some notable dishes, etc. Maybe even a bit of history if you want to. INCLUDE PHOTOS THANKS.

Once I clean up the Asian Food List Recommendation I'll post the link to it here. If you want to add, remove, or comment on it, just let me know either here or via PM.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm unsure as to the best way to do this, but perhaps we can highlight a few cuisines, dust off the Asian Food List, and talk about some of the dishes? Preferably y'all would write a bit about your food (region in country, etc), some notable dishes, etc. Maybe even a bit of history if you want to. INCLUDE PHOTOS THANKS.

Just so I'm clear....

This includes the Middle East as well, right?

The reason I ask is because it doesn't look like my MENA specific thread is taking off any time soon.

Deleted member 1287

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Galvan - I actually went and got dim sum today because of those photos. haha

Miletius - ooh... Tsujita opened up a place that does tan tan men. Maybe I should check it out.

ALSO Y'ALL... @here haha... we're going to community spotlighted, so I'd really like to add a food section to the OP.

Once I clean up the Asian Food List Recommendation I'll post the link to it here. If you want to add, remove, or comment on it, just let me know either here or via PM.

Well I don't know crap about my history but I did post a few of my favorite dishes in earlier posts: https://www.resetera.com/threads/asian-era-ot-we-dont-age.519/page-2#post-40860

https://www.resetera.com/threads/asian-era-ot-we-dont-age.519/page-4#post-100157

I like to eat the spicy beef noodle when I'm sick, and the baozi I often ate as a snack growing up

My mom's best dish was curry chicken (this is just a picture from the internet though)
IMG_3260.JPG

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Aight aight. Maybe it's something I'll need to try before I die, lol. I know for sure my family would rather go to a semi-nice themed restaurant instead of Golden Corral.

I'm thinking, for me and some friends, it might be a decent place to eat after some drinks after the bar or something.
We used to go to Golden Corral all the time growing up. Food options weren't what they are now back in the 90's, and it was a lot cheaper to take the whole family to a buffet than a sit-down restaurant.

Bluesteel

Oct 25, 2017
We used to go to Golden Corral all the time growing up. Food options weren't what they are now back in the 90's, and it was a lot cheaper to take the whole family to a buffet than a sit-down restaurant.

Yea, to add to this, when I was growing up my family used to go to old country buffet a lot. It was honest to goodness my introduction to "American" food.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've never been to Golden Corral, but I've been to similar places, like Sir George's it Hometown Buffet. I assume it's all the same: awful*.

* I like Sizzler, actually.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I've never been to Golden Corral, but I've been to similar places, like Sir George's it Hometown Buffet. I assume it's all the same: awful*.

* I like Sizzler, actually.

Making a good steak is pretty easy. Making an incredible one is pretty hard, but given the prices Sizzler is selling them at, I can't blame them for just being good, rather than excellent. Overall I don't mind them at all and is one of the places I'm happy to stop at if I'm doing a roadtrip.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Making a good steak is pretty easy. Making an incredible one is pretty hard, but given the prices Sizzler is selling them at, I can't blame them for just being good, rather than excellent. Overall I don't mind them at all and is one of the places I'm happy to stop at if I'm doing a roadtrip.
I don't ever get anything at Sizzler other than unlimited salad bar. Theirs is the only "salad" bar I know that stocks fried chicken, and their build-your-own salad selection is like a lite Souplantation.

Their steaks are rubbish, though, and I expect the same for any other entree.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I don't ever get anything at Sizzler other than unlimited salad bar. Theirs is the only "salad" bar I know that stocks fried chicken, and their build-your-own salad selection is like a lite Souplantation.

Their steaks are rubbish, though, and I expect the same for any other entree.

I've been to a KFC buffet once while roadtripping that did all you can eat fried chicken. It was kinda nuts, because I've never seen a KFC buffet. The problem with buffets (IMO) is that they ask you an upfront price that is a bit more costly and I never end up eating enough to justify that price.

Bluesteel

Oct 25, 2017
I've been to a KFC buffet once while roadtripping that did all you can eat fried chicken. It was kinda nuts, because I've never seen a KFC buffet. The problem with buffets (IMO) is that they ask you an upfront price that is a bit more costly and I never end up eating enough to justify that price.

Uh a KFC buffet sounds intriguing. And yea, I don't like buffets because it always feels like I'm trying to extract as much value as possible, which ends up in me feeling like utter crap.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mean to be a pest, but could someone please answer my question from before (see my above comment)? I want to participate but I'm not sure if my region is eligible.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017

There's one near me. I've had it once and it was underwhelming, lol.

I also suffer from the never-end-up-eating-enough camp.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I asked if the Middle East is eligible for the food section in the OP.

I mean if you want to talk about Middle Eastern food you can.

But serious question, do Middle Easterners consider themselves Asian? I ask because I actually never thought about that question.

Thinking on it, I never considered Russians to be Asian, even though the country is in Asia.

Though I suppose that East Asians and Middle Easterners share very similar concerns and upbringings relative to American culture.

So really I don't have a problem with it, but I am very ignorant of the politics, identity, problems, and culture from the region.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Just so I'm clear....

This includes the Middle East as well, right?

The reason I ask is because it doesn't look like my MENA specific thread is taking off any time soon.

I'm fine with that.

But serious question, do Middle Easterners consider themselves Asian? I ask because I actually never thought about that question.

Thinking on it, I never considered Russians to be Asian, even though the country is in Asia.

Though I suppose that East Asians and Middle Easterners share very similar concerns and upbringings relative to American culture.

So really I don't have a problem with it, but I am very ignorant of the politics, identity, problems, and culture from the region.

I'm in the same boat as Bunny on not necessarily the most aware (though being Indian I am a tiny bit more aware) of specific issues; but my view has always been the more the merrier. :)

Oct 28, 2017

It depends on who you ask.

A lot of my friends (mostly American Jews, some Arabs and Kurds) identify as West Asian, but we typically defer to East/South Asians before applying the "Asian" label to ourselves (hence my question). There are also a lot of people in my community who, as a result of centuries of exile/colonization, knee jerk identify as "white". That's something we're still working on.

Though I suppose that East Asians and Middle Easterners share very similar concerns and upbringings relative to American culture..

I concur.

I actually wrote an article about it here (yes, my name is on it). It deals mostly with the diaspora Jewish experience in Europe. http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/antisemitism-the-worlds-oldest-orientalism/

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
It depends on who you ask.

A lot of my friends (mostly American Jews, some Arabs and Kurds) identify as West Asian, but we typically defer to East/South Asians before applying the "Asian" label to ourselves (hence my question). There are also a lot of people in my community who, as a result of centuries of exile/colonization, knee jerk identify as "white". That's something we're still working on.

I concur.

I actually wrote an article about it here (yes, my name is on it). It deals mostly with the diaspora Jewish experience in Europe. http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/antisemitism-the-worlds-oldest-orientalism/

Bookmarked the link. I'm more than happy to welcome people who identify as Asian. I don't think you need to defer at all -- Asia is a big place, and the middle eastern diaspora has as much claim to the term and cultural heritage as any subgroup within that large umbrella.

I do agree though that it isn't something that I'm educated about in comparison to contemporary East Asian politics within the United States. Would be a nice change of pace to discuss with somebody closer to the topic, which reiterates that your contribution to this thread is valuable, in my mind.

Oct 28, 2017
Bookmarked the link. I'm more than happy to welcome people who identify as Asian. I don't think you need to defer at all -- Asia is a big place, and the middle eastern diaspora has as much claim to the term and cultural heritage as any subgroup within that large umbrella.

I do agree though that it isn't something that I'm educated about in comparison to contemporary East Asian politics within the United States. Would be a nice change of pace to discuss with somebody closer to the topic, which reiterates that your contribution to this thread is valuable, in my mind.

Thanks!

I will gladly share my thoughts, writings, etc whenever needed. I have more writings in the works too.

As for food, I offer up Hamantaschen. :D

Last edited:

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

I had a discussion like that with my friend many years ago. He pointed out that Russians and a vast majority of Russia is part of the Asian continent. Yet when we look at Russian people, we never immediately think, yeah, he/she's Asian. Though there are other ethnicities living in Russia that does look more like Asians.

On a personal level, I don't care if they consider themselves as Asian. They are always welcomed. This has more to due with geography than race. If you are a part of a race people who are born in this region, then you are Asian.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Authentic, delicious, homemade Chinese cooking is great, as are the incredible banquets at big family occasions.

But there's still something about cheap, local, hole-in-the-wall American Chinese eateries that's just comfy.

Nothing calms me down like a pot of too-hot, watery oolong tea and a plate of greasy-as-hell Mongolian Beef or General Tso's with overly dry steamed rice and mushy egg flower soup.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing like home cooked food, yes, but there's also nothing like some cheap food from cheap places. I agree, lol. Some days I just want some trashy food, fam.

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the best food I've ever had were at hole-in-the-wall places. Asia, America, Europe, doesn't matter.

Also, food carts.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Are you all seeing a lot of rolled ice cream places? Seems like that's the new fad, but, like, it isn't even that good, it takes forever to make, and it's usually very expensive. We thought to try the Blue Nova truck last night, but their ice cream was $10/serving. Fuck that.

So we went to Honeymee instead, that that place was great.

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you all seeing a lot of rolled ice cream places? Seems like that's the new fad, but, like, it isn't even that good, it takes forever to make, and it's usually very expensive. We thought to try the Blue Nova truck last night, but their ice cream was $10/serving. Fuck that.

So we went to Honeymee instead, that that place was great.

Yeah, I noticed a place like that in Chinatown when I went last (Chicago). Seemed like overpriced fad food.