• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
The fact that most of these current high profile sexual harassment allegations appear to be directed at Jewish men is more than a bit worrying. Especially in this political climate (where overt racism is becoming mainstream again), the last thing we need is to be stereotyped as creepers.

Am I wrong for worrying about this? I don't wish to detract or derail in any way from what these women are going through, but these concerns persist nonetheless.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
^ this is the first time i've heard anyone ever bring race into the mix. that said i think most everyone would realize after some thought that this is a symptom of power dynamics less race.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Not on topic but meph & I went to Yayoi Kusama's infinity room exhibit at the Broad.

00000_IMG_00000_BURST20171031150248.jpg

IMG_20171031_143546.jpg

23116696_10103845411361664_1662872141176392663_o.jpg

(You're supposed to put stickers in the room, so I was putting some on the lamps.)

We also saw Takashi Murakami's art.

IMG_20171031_152709.jpg

IMG_20171031_152750.jpg

PANO_20171031_152614.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
^ this is the first time i've heard anyone ever bring race into the mix. that said i think most everyone would realize after some thought that this is a symptom of power dynamics less race.

That's what I'm hoping for, but I doubt it. My Jewish friends are already complaining of profiling (and a litany of other racist reactions to these recent scandals).

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
That looks amazing. I'll be in LA over Thanksgiving, so maybe I'll try to snag some tickets to the Brode.

If you get tickets for the exhibit, you can get into the museum on the same day without advance tickets.

We did standby, arriving at 8:30am for a chance to get same day standby tickets (distributed at 11am). There were already twelve or so groups ahead of us, and this was a random Tuesday. Something to keep in mind!

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
If you get tickets for the exhibit, you can get into the museum on the same day without advance tickets.

We did standby, arriving at 8:30am for a chance to get same day standby tickets (distributed at 11am). There were already twelve or so groups ahead of us, and this was a random Tuesday. Something to keep in mind!

Nice! My sister's place is a 10 minute walk, so I'll see what I can do. ShimshonNehorai the Broad is in the downtown LA area, very close to the Walt Disney theater, if you've ever been to the area.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
He's the next tier of Azn. Something other Azn's hope to achieve in their lifetime.

I've eaten a lot of foods that you're not supposed to eat with chopstick using chopsticks. I have done it with spaghetti, pizza, french fries, and probably more that I've forgotten. I don't like using my hands and making them greasy.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
What is the procedure like? I want to get it but the idea of being awake during it is freaking me out.
Whatever you do, DO NOT look up the procedure on youtube. I literally went into surgery blind (no pun intended) without knowing any details. The surgery itself is actually super short and painless, you don't feel a thing. The only thing that hurt was my bank account, but it was worth every penny.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
How do y'all feel about community spotlights?

Personally I'm in but it's up to everyone!

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How do y'all feel about community spotlights?

Personally I'm in but it's up to everyone!
I'm down.

As you might remember, one of the problems we had at GAF was that a lot of posters felt it was a-okay to throw around casual racism toward Asians. I think them being able to pop in here and see that we really don't like that could help them understand that it's not okay.

Also, we tend to get a lot of people who come in and are like, "Hey, I'm Asian but never knew about this thread," so it'd be good to get them in here, too.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Okay I'm going to sign up. If we have issues, please let me know.

shinkie

Oct 26, 2017
Whatever you do, DO NOT look up the procedure on youtube. I literally went into surgery blind (no pun intended) without knowing any details. The surgery itself is actually super short and painless, you don't feel a thing. The only thing that hurt was my bank account, but it was worth every penny.
My clinic gave me a DVD of my PRK surgery after. It's pretty cool seeing it from the other side now.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Sooo... there a movie called... Crazy Rich Asians? I know nothing about the movie beyond the title, but that title alone makes me raise my eyebrows. Not in a good way.

I hope they have some big name Asian stars like Scarlett Johansson or Emma Stone.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Sooo... there a movie called... Crazy Rich Asians? I know nothing about the movie beyond the title, but that title alone makes me raise my eyebrows. Not in a good way.

I hope they have some big name Asian stars like Scarlett Johansson or Emma Stone.

It's based on a Singaporean novel, about Asian old money. The movie's starring Asians all the way: Constance Wu, Michelle Yeoh, Gemma Chan, Harry Shum, Ken Jeong, Jimmy O. Yang, Ronny Chieng, Sonoya Mizuno etc. etc.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
did they even have asian kids back in the... whenever young sheldon is set in time period

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
did they even have asian kids back in the... whenever young sheldon is set in time period
End of the 80's

The entire scene (dinner at Sheldon's) was Sheldon's family making fools of themselves by assuming Asian stereotypes and talking about the Vietnam war.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I am kinda happy that asian comedies seem to be making a play in the last few years. I think you guys are probably fimiliar with Fresh Off the Boat and Dr Ken, but you might have missed The Family Law which is an Australian comedy which I think is hilarious

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
ew1490_2617327329.jpg

http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/02/crazy-rich-asians-first-look-ew-cover/

Kevin Kwan's debut novel was snapped up by The Hunger Games producer Nina Jacobson just four months after hitting shelves in 2013, and it's not hard to see why: The real-life, jaw-dropping opulence of Asia's über-rich practically begs to be splashed on the big screen. In the book, Kwan details outrageous luxuries, from climate-controlled closets packed with next season's couture pieces (why, of course!) to yachts equipped with swimming pools (yes, more than one!) and even to private planes with state-of-the-art yoga studios and heated floors (why not?!). His subjects aren't just crazy rich, but filthy, unspeakably, hilariously rich.

The story's even crazier. Directed by Jon M. Chu (Now You See Me 2), Crazy Rich Asians follows Rachel Chu (Fresh Off the Boat's Constance Wu), an NYU economics professor who heads to Singapore with her boyfriend, Nick Young (newcomer Henry Golding), for what she thinks will be an ordinary visit to meet his family and attend his best friend's wedding, only to discover that — alamak! — he's the multi-zillionaire son of one of the most affluent families in Asia and the wedding they're headed to is the social event of the year. To make things worse, the social circles of the 1 percent of the 1 percent are less than welcoming of Rachel when she arrives. And so, between billionaire bullies, shopping sprees without credit-card limits, and a wedding to end all weddings, Rachel gets put through the Singapore slinger.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
We'll see how it goes. I think it'll be interesting... maybe like a Gossip Girl but rebooted in Asia.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
My concern with Crazy Rich Asians is that with the current political climate in the US, this movie could stoke the flames of more anti-Asian sentiment in the US. You know, climate change is a Chinese hoax. Chinese people stealing all our jobs. Fucking Asians being rich at the sacrifice of honest hardworking White Americans.

Granted this is purely concern based on the movie's title while knowing absolutely nothing about what the movie's about.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
My concern with Crazy Rich Asians is that with the current political climate in the US, this movie could stoke the flames of more anti-Asian sentiment in the US. You know, climate change is a Chinese hoax. Chinese people stealing all our jobs. Fucking Asians being rich at the sacrifice of honest hardworking White Americans.

Granted this is purely concern based on the movie's title while knowing absolutely nothing about what the movie's about.
Stop expecting racists to be rational or reasonable.

Oct 28, 2017

Jews have been dealing with that shit for centuries.

And yeah, it sucks pretty hard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I know I know. It speaks volumes of the US today when I see the movie title and immediately think Asians will be attacked.

Yeah I kind of had that thought too, but in the end...whatever. I'm getting dual citizenship in a few months so if shit hits the fan... gg.

Galvan

Oct 25, 2017
Hello! I am a model minority.

ToaCwMl.jpg

Please ignore the spoon and fork. We othered them for a reason