• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I just wanted to check in and say hi to everyone. I read through the Mod meeting with the Black Culture Community and heard there was one coming up for Asian-Era as well. I'm more of a lurker on Era but I look forward to hearing what this community thinks and wants from this forum.
Hey! Long time no see here. Are you in our discord? I can't match everyone's name to the discord lol.

I think the discourse will be polite. But, I think overall it's too little, too late for any sort of improvement in regards to addressing the issues we've brought up.

Personally, I don't think that the makeup of Era in terms of membership, and the various factors specifically dealing with how those members interact with "Asia/Asians/Asian-diaspora" is going to leave much room for any tangible improvement.

We've moved our space away from Era and I see much more positive interaction there within our community than I think ever occurred in Era.

edit: It more of a resignation that I am giving up on my idealism in regards to Era. It is what it is. I enjoy interacting on this forum and I think the vast majority of people are good people. I just accept that there is that percentage of Era that will always show its ass whenever Asian-Era tries to make a point. It's just part of who/what Era is.

Yeah I'm with you for most of this.

I moved some stuff away for reasons not related to ERA but life. Still read and post here though :)

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
Hey! Long time no see here. Are you in our discord? I can't match everyone's name to the discord lol.

I definitely remember you and others from the old country. Thanks for the invite, but I'm not really into Discord groups. I'm too old, anti-social, and set in my ways to do anything more than lurk on forums.

I am saddened that it seems like most of us have fled. Since I don't post regularly and am not on the Discord, I am a bit in the dark about the issues Asian-Era has with this place. I assume it's more than the usual issues, because that's just the background radiation of most of our lives. I will show up to the Asian-Era x Mods thread to listen, learn, and stand in solidarity.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I definitely remember you and others from the old country. Thanks for the invite, but I'm not really into Discord groups. I'm too old, anti-social, and set in my ways to do anything more than lurk on forums.

I am saddened that it seems like most of us have fled. Since I don't post regularly and am not on the Discord, I am a bit in the dark about the issues Asian-Era has with this place. I assume it's more than the usual issues, because that's just the background radiation of most of our lives. I will show up to the Asian-Era x Mods thread to listen, learn, and stand in solidarity.

Heh, okay no worries I get it. If you ever change your mind, the invite is in the OP :). Glad you're still here and kicking!!! Hope all is well for you and yours.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Hey there. there is a question about Asian and youth that I want to post but I am not sure how to phrase it. To make short, I discuss with people whose life has been smashed by specific aspects of Asian Culture, they all mentioned the burden of conformism, and the denial of mental illness, or poor approach of mental illness. With tragic consequences for both of them.In both cases even though they were form different countries(Japan and South Korea) there was conformism at play, as well as pressure to succeed and bad approach of mental illness.

So I was wondering if there is a possibility that Asia could one day have some big social movement initiated by youth one day, some sort of "Asian Spring" or "May 68"

Yesterday I watched this news about how in Korea they used VR to "resurrect" the dead daughter of a Mother, and broadcasted it on tv.I discussed with a Korean girl and she agreed it showed once again a focus on technology and not on humans and other areas that could imrpove society.

In Japan I read Youth is starting to refuse work pressureand conformism, so I was wondering if this could happen.

Also it seems South Korea can fascinate other asian countries, through k pop for example, while still having similar society problems.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Hey there. there is a question about Asian and youth that I want to post but I am not sure how to phrase it. To make short, I discuss with people whose life has been smashed by specific aspects of Asian Culture, they all mentioned the burden of conformism, and the denial of mental illness, or poor approach of mental illness. With tragic consequences for both of them.In both cases even though they were form different countries(Japan and South Korea) there was conformism at play, as well as pressure to succeed and bad approach of mental illness.

So I was wondering if there is a possibility that Asia could one day have some big social movement initiated by youth one day, some sort of "Asian Spring" or "May 68"

Yesterday I watched this news about how in Korea they used VR to "resurrect" the dead daughter of a Mother, and broadcasted it on tv.I discussed with a Korean girl and she agreed it showed once again a focus on technology and not on humans and other areas that could imrpove society.

In Japan I read Youth is starting to refuse work pressureand conformism, so I was wondering if this could happen.

Also it seems South Korea can fascinate other asian countries, through k pop for example, while still having similar society problems.

Uh what.

You do realize Asia isn't a monolith, right?

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Are you trying to find out if Asians (particularly Asians from Asia, and specifically Japan and Korea) are more outspoken about mental health issues? Are you wondering if the younger generation are trying to spread more awareness about the lack of awareness with regards to mental health issues? Are you also wondering if it's common enough within Asian communities that they don't talk about mental health?

Are you also wondering about Asians conforming? Are you talking about Asians that listen to their parents and that their parents only want them to have a good job and work hard while disregarding their mental health? And are you wondering if the younger generation of Asians are less conforming and doing their own things regardless of what their parents wanted them to do?

In regards to your last point about South Korea.... Are you wondering that since they've put out so much multimedia (and has risen in popularity among the general world population) that they will be some kind of inspiration for other Asian countries?

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

Yeah this is me too. I'll pop my head in her from time to time, but Discord just ain't my style. And even when issues come up, 90% of the time I'll get incense, start writing a response but then halfway through just go "why bother..." Life and kids have made me tired...

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Yeah this is me too. I'll pop my head in her from time to time, but Discord just ain't my style. And even when issues come up, 90% of the time I'll get incense, start writing a response but then halfway through just go "why bother..." Life and kids have made me tired...

:< I feel you about getting too tired from life.

Same to you... always welcome in the Discord. It's pretty small-- usually no more than 20 to 25 people on at a time, and even so peak activity is usually only like... ten people talking! Always welcome, seriously :D

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The mod discussion should operate under two separate branches:

1. Community threads should be given the tools for self-governance.
This way mod intervention can be largely avoided except in extreme circumstances, but the community thread itself should be able to have control over warnings and bans within community threads. Make the ban exclusive to the thread without mod input, a shorter-term than a mod can impose, or require a mod for site-wide/permanent bans, but otherwise community threads can and should police themselves.

2. (1), of course, does nothing for other issues in the other parts of the forum, so there should be some kind of guidance given on how to interact with, report, or otherwise outline the issues that people have against the overall community. Even if it goes nowhere, there will be some record of explicit communication of grievances, which at least pushes things in a direction the community would have some agency over.

Yes indeed. I just don't know how to explain the feeling that many have an incentive to conformism, though I am not sure how to explain it accurately.

I think the point of the response is that no one here can answer you any better than a second-generation French expat in Japan would be able to explain Quebec's independent streak with regard to Canada. Asian-ERA isn't populated by people in Asia, it's an Asian diaspora.

Last edited:

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
The mod discussion should operate under two separate branches:

1. Community threads should be given the tools for self-governance.
This way mod intervention can be largely avoided except in extreme circumstances, but the community thread itself should be able to have control over warnings and bans within community threads. Make the ban exclusive to the thread without mod input, a shorter-term than a mod can impose, or require a mod for site-wide/permanent bans, but otherwise community threads can and should police themselves.

2. (1), of course, does nothing for other issues in the other parts of the forum, so there should be some kind of guidance given on how to interact with, report, or otherwise outline the issues that people have against the overall community. Even if it goes nowhere, there will be some record of explicit communication of grievances, which at least pushes things in a direction the community would have some agency over.

I think the point of the response is that no one here can answer you any better than a second-generation French expat in Japan would be able to explain Quebec's independent streak with regard to Canada. Asian-ERA isn't populated by people in Asia, it's an Asian diaspora.
Yes I just realized that exploring the discord, sorry for the confusion

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017

Yay! :)

I'll speak only of my own experiences as a Filipino born and bred. Can't speak for the other countries.

Mental illness until now is still very hush-hush to people outside of the family and closest friend group. My favourite aunt suffers from bipolar disorder, and it took my family (as in the extended one) literally two decades before my mom (who is the eldest of the family) could browbeat everyone (i.e. my grandmom and granddad) into getting her professional help. It was made worse because we ping-pong between the Netherlands and the Philippines a lot. We all know, but we don't mention it. Not even to my aunt. Hopefully, this will change for the better.

The Arab spring was an interesting response to the oppressive regimes and terrible quality of life in that part of the world. Generally speaking, most Asian countries right now do not suffer oppressive regimes of that magnitude. China is an oppressive regime by any measure, but imho because it has been generating an incredible increase of in quality of life for its citizens from the disaster that was Mao Zedong, the older generations do not see it that way. As long as things (seem) to be getting better, revolts tend not to happen.

This will most likely change as demographics start shifting.

As far as conformism goes, that would require dissertations to discuss - it's so different depending on who you are with, where you were born, where you are living, etc.

Deleted member 51646

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
A while ago there was a thread that got into some of it, though obviously things have only gotten worse since then.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
:< I feel you about getting too tired from life.

Same to you... always welcome in the Discord. It's pretty small-- usually no more than 20 to 25 people on at a time, and even so peak activity is usually only like... ten people talking! Always welcome, seriously :D

Appreciate it. Who knows... maybe down the line.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Other parts of the forum are the primary issue. The thing in the discussion going on right now is that minority language is being policed to a harsher degree due to mass reporting, causing everyone to retreat to the community threads and stagnating the main sections of the forum

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Other parts of the forum are the primary issue. The thing in the discussion going on right now is that minority language is being policed to a harsher degree due to mass reporting, causing everyone to retreat to the community threads and stagnating the main sections of the forum

It's because there are such things as fucking stupid questions, but we're not allowed to say so :p

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
A while ago there was a thread that got into some of it, though obviously things have only gotten worse since then.

Thanks for the link. I think I actually caught this thread back when it was first opened, but I re-read it to catch up. Some of the responses definitely resonated with me and I do remember the other horrendous threads at the time that probably inspired it. I will say that I haven't seen as much blatant anti-Asian talk since that time, although I have yet to deep dive into threads concerning the coronavirus.

Reading through that thread brought up things that I have been thinking about lately.

1. People asking where I am from

I hate this and recently spoke to some friends about it. They were a married couple, an Indian man and a white woman. Both couldn't understand it. The only way I could explain it was that it made me fell uncomfortable and like I wasn't American. But I also admit that many times, it is a question asked with good intent. For example, my friends and a I were in New Orleans and passed by an old white couple. Seeing a gang of Asians, the man stopped us and asked where we were from. My jimmies were rustled and wanted to reply California, but replied someone that we were Chinese. The old man then busted out some legit Chinese (that I couldn't understand). He explained that he had been stationed in China in his youth and wanted to see if his Chinese was still good. It was a charming interaction.

My Indian friend also gave examples where people asked where he was from in an attempt to learn more about him. To connect with him. And honestly, I couldn't come up with a recent personal example where the question obviously came from a bad place. But I still don't like the question and would prefer not to be asked it. In the end, we decided it was because I considered myself American and had little connection to my Asian roots, so the question raises a defensive response by reflex. That and I am anti-social and hate getting to know other people in this way.

2. Taiwanese vs Chinese

I went to Taiwan with family before New Years to see my grandmother (I also saw The Farewell on the plane ride back, which caused, uh, EMOTIONS to rise within me). It was the first time I had spent more than a few days with my mom since I was probably 7. So we talked a lot, which isn't something we usually do. She mentioned that she voted for the KMT candidate instead of the DPP candidate, and that her side lost. Now, I know nothing about politics, but I had heard that the KMT party has close ties to the Chinese government. I had heard that their leader was very Trump-like in his attitudes and positions, and was curious why my mother would support someone like that. Her response was that despite her family having been in Taiwan for over a hundred years, she always saw herself as Chinese, not Taiwanese. She believes that the people of Taiwan (excluding the actual natives I assume), are Chinese like those from the mainland and that Taiwan cannot survive without China. Now, she is definitely against the actions of the current government, but to her, it's more about the unity she feels with all Chinese people.

I definitely don't feel like that, but I guess I was just interested in the thoughts of others who may be in the same position.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
So did everybody leave?

I'm not a heavily active poster and I'm usually one to bite my tongue but the Mulan discourse compelled to engage. I don't what I expected.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still here but I'm in the CW DC Superhero shows.

I just saw that footage of the elderly Chinese man getting beat and harassed by...... Yeah. The race relations there is horrible. Fucking hell..... Makes me even more depressed.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just fuming whenever my parents turn on the Chinese radio stations in the morning and idiots calling in about the election and saying they support Trump. Stuff like this just pisses me off.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw that FIL has a photo of Trump and Melania and some kind of certificate thanking him for supporting the Republicans in the 2020 election.

SMH

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
My dad is still listening to Vietnamese Alex Jones whose "radio station"/podcast consists of him talking for hours on end about alt-right stuff and playing a few old pop songs, viet songs, and Trump propaganda music, so I feel y'alls pain..

And we're Canadian and my parents were refugees and have been on welfare for most of their lives, yet here they are rambling about conspiracy theories like covid-19 being a Canadian-made virus crossbred with HIV, immigrant leeches, and destructive commies like Bernie Sanders and Justin Trudeau (though to be fair, Vietnam's implementation and current version is not one to be admired), so it has been quite the headache on my part.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
My dad is still listening to Vietnamese Alex Jones whose "radio station"/podcast consists of him talking for hours on end about alt-right stuff and playing a few old pop songs, viet songs, and Trump propaganda music, so I feel y'alls pain..

And we're Canadian and my parents were refugees and have been on welfare for most of their lives, yet here they are rambling about conspiracy theories like covid-19 being a Canadian-made virus crossbred with HIV, immigrant leeches, and destructive commies like Bernie Sanders and Justin Trudeau (though to be fair, Vietnam's implementation and current version is not one to be admired), so it has been quite the headache on my part.

What is that radio host's name? My dad is a big Trump supporter and he's always watching stuff on Youtube/listening to stuff and it makes me wonder...

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
What is that radio host's name? My dad is a big Trump supporter and he's always watching stuff on Youtube/listening to stuff and it makes me wonder...
Nguy Vu or something.

I keep wanting to make a pun of his name and call him Ngu (stupid) Vu because he is a morans.

And he also sells miracle beuaty products and I assume other garbage. Which by the way, my parents DID buy and cost $700. Because my parents too are morans, even if I do love them.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Is it just me or do anyone else feels extra pissed off when they see their own ethnicity buy into the GOP/Trump shit? If I see other ethnicity, I feel less pissed even though that's not any better, but being Chinese, it makes me extra pissed to see other Chinese buy into this shit.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread a little with my rant.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Is it just me or do anyone else feels extra pissed off when they see their own ethnicity buy into the GOP/Trump shit? If I see other ethnicity, I feel less pissed even though that's not any better, but being Chinese, it makes me extra pissed to see other Chinese buy into this shit.

I mean, I'm Korean and I completely expect this. Especially with my parent's generation (basically the immigrant generation from the 60s through the early 90s) they grew up in the era of Park Chung Hee and are extremely conservative. Add to that a large proportion of Korean diaspora congregating around the church system and of course there's going to be a ton of conservatism. What irks me though is the second generation and onward continuing to maintain this myopia as well, though luckily I see it slowly improving.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh for sure. When it comes to my own family members, I'm especially upset because racism is a strong motivator.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
FIL is a single-issue voter, and there's no reasoning with him. Trump treated Taiwan like a country, so he loves him.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017

For me, it's disappointing because they've forgotten how hard it was for them when they first came to North America. It's an "F you got mine" mentality that Trump and conservatives easily play to.

We can already see the effects today. First/second generation millennials are making way more money than their parents ever did but they can't keep up with the cost of living. Future generations are inheriting a society with rising health care costs for an aging population, unaffordable housing, and a worsening climate.

Deleted member 51646

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I'm pissed at Asians who backed Yang. So being upset at GOPAsians is another level or disgust.
If you only hang out with white communists, I can understand how it would be hard to see, but Yang did more for Asians in one year than any of the other candidates have in their entire lives. Now people are back to getting worked up over which geriatric white man gets to be in power. Whee.

Deleted member 51646

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
To me and my family, victory was never the point, nor was it ever plausible. Seeing an Asian man in any remotely positive or respectable context in American media is just so rare. In a way, him being on CNN all the time now is even better.

Deleted member 51646

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Yang is the white moderate Dr. King warned us about. Fuck Andrew Yang.
I don't think it would be helpful to dive into our disagreement about that here, but if you have any other suggestions of Asian male politicians you like more, I'd be interested to hear them.
Rep Ted Lieu is the only other remotely notable person that comes to mind. There are some smaller ones like Evan Low, David Kim, or Mike Honda, but they all endorsed Yang so I suspect you might not like them either.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I don't think it would be helpful to dive into our disagreement about that here, but if you have any other suggestions of Asian male politicians you like more, I'd be interested to hear them.
Rep Ted Lieu is the only other remotely notable person that comes to mind. There are some smaller ones like Evan Low, David Kim, or Mike Honda, but they all endorsed Yang so I suspect you might not like them either.

God bless Ted Lieu. Love him.

edit: we have tons of Asian politicians but they're all mostly conservative for some goddamn reason. (Except, of course, Judy and Ted from CA. ♥♥♥♥)

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
Richard Pan. California state senator/ practicing pediatrician and author of bills to minimize damage done by anti vaxxers.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
edit: we have tons of Asian politicians but they're all mostly conservative for some goddamn reason

My non-scientific explanation is that it's easier to rise in the GOP as a minority because they're eager to trumpet their inclusiveness, whereas in the Democratic party the issue of inclusion isn't as intentional by top-down design and people get passed over for the same reasons they always get passed over, due to gender/racial biases.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
The conservative Asians I know are split neatly down either the "fiscal conservative" types who don't align with Trump party or are so far gone they actually don't believe in things like privilege.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

Saw this cancer on Facebook. Use google translate for the post. Careful when reading those comments because it's cancer.