• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

tumblr_p1a5fnr2Ta1vywwq5o1_400.gifv

This would work better if Dumbfoundead pointed up but......

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
On the 3rd day before Christmas, Pet brought to Asian ERA

8k1ggmt.png

ABG Mulan

(ur welcom)

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the music from an open laptop? Get a tablet for heaven's sake.

EDIT: the comments on that video are actually worth reading.

Oct 27, 2017
The news about the Jakarta flooding is freaking me out. It always floods around this time of year but apparently this is the worst one yet. My family lives in an area that's not usually prone to flooding but I'm stilled worried for them and for some of my friends. You'd think we'd have better infrastructure i place for floods by now, and they were in fact promising it like a year or two ago.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I read the whole city is sinking under the weight of the buildings because most people draw water from the ground rather than connect up to the water service as it's too costly.

Their solution is pretty much to eventually relocate the capital ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 27, 2017
I read the whole city is sinking under the weight of the buildings because most people draw water from the ground rather than connect up to the water service as it's too costly.

Their solution is pretty much to eventually relocate the capital ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've heard of the plans to relocate. It's gonna take years to even begin the relocation process, though. And it's not like they're gonna stop investing in the city. They've been improving public transportation lately. But I just think that there should be a priority in, like, preventing the city from getting destroyed.

I think urbanization and public works in general took a bit of a bad turn early on. Like how you'd see buildings in some places that seems kinda sunken because the way they used to fix the roads was to just lay the new asphalt on top of it and eventually the road was now higher up.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Wow three weeks without an active post.

Happy New Year all y'all lovely people. ❤️

Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Just now found this OT! Half-Japanese here! :)

I've gone through a few pages of comments and sounds like people are mostly on Discord now? Would love an invite if possible?

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
damn this thread is dedddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
EDIT: link removed

It's good that this is happening.

We sorely need one for Asian-Era!!!

Last edited:

MM300

Dec 23, 2018
I'm over the moon with the Parasite win tonight. First time I ever cared about an Academy Awards in years.

BTW, can anyone pass me a link to the Discord?

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I mean, as Korean, I'm happy that Parasite won (though I think he has better movies...)

As a film guy though, I still think the AA's are trash in general and their selection process for international stuff is the worst.
I also hate how the combination of being Korean and film guy is going to make me the ambassador for this movie and Korean cinema as a whole at work this week. :/

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, as Korean, I'm happy that Parasite won (though I think he has better movies...)

As a film guy though, I still think the AA's are trash in general and their selection process for international stuff is the worst.
I also hate how the combination of being Korean and film guy is going to make me the ambassador for this movie and Korean cinema as a whole at work this week. :/
Can you ask the white people about all the other movies?

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I'm over the moon with the Parasite win tonight. First time I ever cared about an Academy Awards in years.

BTW, can anyone pass me a link to the Discord?
Discord?

Hit me with the link too.

Discord - A New Way to Chat with Friends & Communities

Discord is the easiest way to communicate over voice, video, and text. Chat, hang out, and stay close with your friends and communities.

Channel permissions are fixed now.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Too bad Memories of Murder is no longer available on Amazon Prime's video channel. That was a fairly low-barrier entry for people to get a sense of Bong Joon-ho.

Can you ask the white people about all the other movies?

As Crash and The Green Book will remind you, stop trying to sow divisions and be a good obsequious representative of your minority race so a neat bow can be tied over racial differences.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Too bad Memories of Murder is no longer available on Amazon Prime's video channel. That was a fairly low-barrier entry for people to get a sense of Bong Joon-ho.

Yeah. I think Bong works much better when he doesn't hit the audience over the head with his underlying theme. MoM and Mother are for me his two strongest films with Parasite behind them. Snowpiercer, Host and Okja wear their themes a little too heavily on their respective sleeves (though I do like Snowpiercer's misdirection of Song and his daughter's characters being the true heroes of the system).

I'm glad Parasite won. Bong's status has been steadily rising but I'm wary that this may be less of a precursor for the floodgates of awesome foreign language films in the U.S and more just a singular token representation where the film industry pats themselves on the back and turn proceeds to go back to their myopic ways.

Last edited:

MM300

Dec 23, 2018
MoM and Parasite are top two for me so far when it comes to Bong's work. Haven't seen Mother yet, and looking to make time this weekend for it.

Park Chan-Wook should have gotten AA noms a long time ago for his stuff. Lee Chang-dong also.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Parasite and didn't see any of the other nominated films so I can't comment if it was better than those. But I wonder if this will be the Korean equivalent of Crouching Tiger; not the best in its genre, but a gateway film to a foreign market.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Not only is the director of Birds of Prey Asian, but the writer is as well.

I did think it was unusually specific when the Chinese restaurant owner was described as Taiwanese lol

Last edited:

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
MoM and Parasite are top two for me so far when it comes to Bong's work. Haven't see

Park Chan-Wook should have gotten AA noms a long time ago for his stuff. Lee Chang-dong also.

I think Park stuff post-JSA is excellent but is just too inaccessible for the mainstream. Of course I say that when Oldboy was remade. Lee seems to be doing a pretty good trajectory with Burning and Secret Sunshine got Some international buzz. Clearly the correlation is get Steven Yuen in your movie and your US stock soars. :)

I liked Parasite and didn't see any of the other nominated films so I can't comment if it was better than those. But I wonder if this will be the Korean equivalent of Crouching Tiger; not the best in its genre, but a gateway film to a foreign market.

that's basically it though I do think it was one of the best of the year.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, cool - I never even knew there was an Asian-centric thread until I saw the BCC meeting thread. I rarely, if ever, enter the Hangouts side of ERA.

Parasite winning best director and picture is pretty baller. I hope it has the same effect as Lea Salonga winning her Tony award back in '91 did for Broadway musicals - greater exposure for more international films and artists.

(Joe Pesci not winning Best Supporting Actor is still trash, though).

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Oh, cool - I never even knew there was an Asian-centric thread until I saw the BCC meeting thread. I rarely, if ever, enter the Hangouts side of ERA.

Parasite winning best director and picture is pretty baller. I hope it has the same effect as Lea Salonga winning her Tony award back in '91 did for Broadway musicals - greater exposure for more international films and artists.

(Joe Pesci not winning Best Supporting Actor is still trash, though).

Hello and welcome!

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
I just wanted to check in and say hi to everyone. I read through the Mod meeting with the Black Culture Community and heard there was one coming up for Asian-Era as well. I'm more of a lurker on Era but I look forward to hearing what this community thinks and wants from this forum.

Dec 24, 2017
I think the discourse will be polite. But, I think overall it's too little, too late for any sort of improvement in regards to addressing the issues we've brought up.

Personally, I don't think that the makeup of Era in terms of membership, and the various factors specifically dealing with how those members interact with "Asia/Asians/Asian-diaspora" is going to leave much room for any tangible improvement.

We've moved our space away from Era and I see much more positive interaction there within our community than I think ever occurred in Era.

edit: It more of a resignation that I am giving up on my idealism in regards to Era. It is what it is. I enjoy interacting on this forum and I think the vast majority of people are good people. I just accept that there is that percentage of Era that will always show its ass whenever Asian-Era tries to make a point. It's just part of who/what Era is.

Last edited: