• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MM300

Dec 23, 2018
To Pet, and others who have replied to me:

This is what I am getting at when I bring up the fact that Cerium, an Asian American, owns this place.

He owns the place.
He sets the TOS.
He makes the rules.
He decides what is allowed and what is not allowed?

Notice how the mods here are uber on the ball when it comes to being aggressively against any perceived transphobia?

Notice how at least one mod here has a hair trigger for anything that can be perceived as anti-Israeli?

My point is that why can't Cerium inform the mod team that anti-Asian shit doesn't fly here just as much as transphobia doesn't fly here.

He doesn't need to get actively involved; he just needs to set the rules against Anti-Asian shit and make sure they're enforced.

I don't think this is a huge ask.

One could argue that Cerium likely knows his audience. This place, after all, reeks of two extremes when it comes to anything Asian. On one end, you have a large audience of nerds who openly obsesses and fetishizes popular Japanese culture and people, and to a lesser degree, popular Korean culture and people, and on the other end, severe, irrational hatred of all things China. If Cerium gave the green light to be more proactive in enforcing rules against Anti-Asian anything, then this place would likely be a ghost town, and he probably knows it.

And that doesn't even take into account anything that involves mid-east, south, and southeast Asian stuff, which the fake white wokes on this board don't care about.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
One could argue that Cerium likely knows his audience. This place, after all, reeks of two extremes when it comes to anything Asian. On one end, you have a large audience of nerds who openly obsesses and fetishizes popular Japanese culture and people, and to a lesser degree, popular Korean culture and people, and on the other end, severe, irrational hatred of all things China. If Cerium gave the green light to be more proactive in enforcing rules against Anti-Asian anything, then this place would likely be a ghost town, and he probably knows it.

And that doesn't even take into account anything that involves mid-east, south, and southeast Asian stuff, which the fake white wokes on this board don't care about.
I think it more likely comes from a place of ignorance than insidiousness. He's an American, and American society does a great job of hiding Asian American issues, especially amongst the upper-middle class, which is insulated enough from personally experiencing almost all forms of racism where the little instances here and there aren't going to be debilitating.

MM300

Dec 23, 2018
I think it more likely comes from a place of ignorance than insidiousness. He's an American, and American society does a great job of hiding Asian American issues, especially amongst the upper-middle class, which is insulated enough from personally experiencing almost all forms of racism where the little instances here and there aren't going to be debilitating.

Could be, especially If he grew up inoculated in an enclave / bubble. I met a small handful like that, and they always seem to possess a near endless well of patience when it comes to white people racism. Always have to shake my head when I see that . . .

And I didn't intend to insinuate that his reasoning was insidious, but rather just cold, hard calculation. This is a large forum, and he definitely wants to keep it that way, and he may have decided that banning the racists on this forum is not the way to do that. He'll turn the other cheek, so to speak, if it means his site stays popular.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Oh, they care about it a lot anytime someone mentions anti-Asian racism. "YOU DON'T EVEN TALK ABOUT THE SOUTH ASIANS THO. HOW CAN YOU REALLY BE AN ALLY."

:p

I honestly don't care what Cerium chooses to enforce. I hate to say it, but I'd rather have what we have here now, than lose it by turning people away to more conservative sites.

Could be, especially If he grew up inoculated in an enclave / bubble. I met a small handful like that, and they always seem to possess a near endless well of patience when it comes to white people racism. Always have to shake my head when I see that . . .

And I didn't intend to insinuate that his reasoning was insidious, but rather just cold, hard calculation. This is a large forum, and he definitely wants to keep it that way, and he may have decided that banning the racists on this forum is not the way to do that. He'll turn the other cheek, so to speak, if it means his site stays popular.

I grew up in an enclave/bubble :<. Maybe that's why I'm so patient... ish. haha

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I also grew up in an enclave (and still kind of live in one, really). And, honestly, I deal very little with racism--diet or otherwise--in my day-to-day.

I honestly think Cerium just does nothing and lets the admin and mods set the rules. He might not even know.

MM300

Dec 23, 2018

lol don't worry, give it some time. A little racism here, a little racism there, and your patience will surely wear thin sooner or later. That's when you'll be truly jaded!

And honestly, I wish I grew up in an enclave. Far better alternative than growing up in a suburb that's filled to the brim with bleating red necks who revel in their ignorance.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
I agree with Septimus. I don't think there is any insidiousness going on on the part of Cerium.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Cerium actually is completely in the dark with the anti-Asian shit that flies around here.

Perhaps I should reach out to him and see if he'd be willing to inform the admin/mod team to be more active against the anti-Asian stuff that keeps popping up...

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
I was just about to welcome Power Of Sparda back from his ban, which was some bullshit of a ban that he copped in yet another anti-China thread, but it looks like he's been permabanned....

DAMMIT!

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't care what Cerium chooses to enforce. I hate to say it, but I'd rather have what we have here now, than lose it by turning people away to more conservative sites.

I think that's the most frustrating bit. A lot of the time they are just so close to being the allies they like to think they are. If only they'd just...shut up and listen.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I agree with Pet and tbh. I know issues nonwithstanding, I don't actually want him to be involved in the site to any large degree because I think overall it's better if he is not. It removes the weird hero worship that happened whenever the other dude or some "prominent members or mods" popped into the thread at the old place. Furthermore, not being involved in decisions regarding bans means that, at least, people don't have to tip toe around his persona in fear of retribution. It's one thing ResetERA has gotten right.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I agree with Pet and tbh. I know issues nonwithstanding, I don't actually want him to be involved in the site to any large degree because I think overall it's better if he is not. It removes the weird hero worship that happened whenever the other dude or some "prominent members or mods" popped into the thread at the old place. Furthermore, not being involved in decisions regarding bans means that, at least, people don't have to tip toe around his persona in fear of retribution. It's one thing ResetERA has gotten right.

Yeah the way people sucked EvilLore's dick was just... like, damn y'all. Have a little self respect.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody know if you can travel to Taiwan on a US passport expiring in less than 6 months but more than 90 days? US site says yes, but the Taiwan page cites 6 months.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ol computer is charging so I cant open discord atm - my phone has like no space for another app lol - so just letting yall know I made it out to New York safely :~) 26 hours of flying tho, would not recommend.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Another day, another racist verbal attack on the train going home, starting to think this anti-Chinese rhetoric is kind of bad huh

Nov 3, 2017
Reading what's happening to the Trans community on Era really reminds me of a lot of what we've talked about here; a culture of discrimination and dog whistling and a mod team happy to look the other way

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They're young, and it's all moral grandstanding. I doubt they even believe--let alone practice--what they preach. "There's no ethical consumption under capitalism." "Climate change will kill us all, so stop driving forever." "All religion is always bad." "Science is the only truth, but dinosaurs can't have feathers."

Only ERA users deal in absolutes.

Nov 3, 2017
It's just so fucking frustrating that it's impossible to criticise Era from the left.

Try to do it here, and you're dancing on fucking eggshells, and no matter how much you neuter your message, you're still toying with a ban. Try to do it outside of Era, and it's like shining the fucking bat signal for Gamergate types to co-opt your message into some anti-SJW screed

Whether by accident or intention (and I increasingly suspect it's the latter), leadership have created a perfect little fiefdom for themselves with no meaningful mechanism for redress

robox

Nov 10, 2017
my mind is still blown that i got dtf in a melbourne foodcourt.
i don't know what to make of the brand anymore.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
went to a great yum cha place out in the burbs of sydney the other day. way better than the crowded shit in chinatown, this place was decently 3/4ths empty, little kids out the front running around on scooters, asian aunties wheeling around trays telling us every dish was particularly good today, 20% discount if you pay in cash because they're probably not reporting income, no weird pressure to gtfo after 2 hours. $25 a person for a feaaaaast, hot damn.

the Wu Gock was fire also. love me some wu gock

Dec 24, 2017
In a move that should surprise no one, white dudes are using "I support Hong Kong" to hit on Asian women, as I got to see at Dim Sum yesterday.

I probably said "Oh you're fucking kidding me." At the appropriate volume in which to shame this person.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
went to a great yum cha place out in the burbs of sydney the other day. way better than the crowded shit in chinatown, this place was decently 3/4ths empty, little kids out the front running around on scooters, asian aunties wheeling around trays telling us every dish was particularly good today, 20% discount if you pay in cash because they're probably not reporting income, no weird pressure to gtfo after 2 hours. $25 a person for a feaaaaast, hot damn.

I've been trying to find a good taro dumpling ever since I moved away. Still looking.

It's really hard to make yourself too.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Since they're so rare, but ran into a cute little donut and noodle shop (yes that's definitely an odd combo) in Northern Washington. Turns out, it's actually secretly a Cambodian joint. Ran by a cambo couple, serving cambo style/influenced dishes. Had the Lemongrass/Coconut milk/miso ramen, which was their attempt at Num pa chok in a fusion sense. So fucking good.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Have you guys noticed that there's a bit of a scandal/blowup involving the mod team and some segments of the LGBTQIA+ community here?

Nov 3, 2017

Which place was it? Always looking for new yum cha places to try

Have you guys noticed that there's a bit of a scandal/blowup involving the mod team and some segments of the LGBTQIA+ community here?

I made a post referencing it a few days ago. Shit is really bad, but not surprising given our own experiences with moderation here

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
I've only skimmed various pages of the 2 threads. I noticed that a few posters acknowledged the mod teams shortcoming in dealing with, not just issues affecting the LGBTQIA+ communities, but some POC communities as well - one poster even specifically cited Asian-Era.