• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Nah man.... This place fuckin sucks....

Pretty funny how you can just spew bullshit about the Chinese language without speaking it and continue to generalise 1 billion people on here

Still somehow the best place for us though which really just goes to show how dogshit the discourse is on the internet now
I just spotted that thread today after work and couldn't bite my tongue. Good thing I didn't catch it earlier, I woulda gotten warned for the idiocy throughout that thread. At least (it seemed) a lot of other posters called out Kitsune's bullshit.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of snapped in that new Abominable thread.

You were just stating facts. The thing is I do think those guys really read much beyond the thread titles and thread so often fish for these responses.

I don't know where exactly you would find better discourse of these things from similar perspectives. I quite liked how Waypoint talked about the issues around Blizzard and HK even though they admittedly aren't experts on the matter.

I started to look the Plan A podcasts and writings from suggestions in this thread a while ago, but I have been pretty disappointed with they coverage on these matters. They talk a lot about politics but it feels like they avoiding discussions about Asian politics and how much they affect the diaspora. I guess it can be a divisive issue within the 'Asian-American' identity between mainland-Chinese/HK; Korean/Japanese; Pakistan/ Indian etc. Still, not talking about it when the podcast is so often about politics seem to betray why it's there.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Honestly over the past few years I have been disillusioned with American identity, let alone Asian-American identity. Month-after-month of stories between Trump and CPC crap, being an asian minority, any minority for that matter, in the US doesn't work in maintaining a healthy mindset for me.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Not hard to be disillusioned with the absolute fucking idiocy being sprayed around from the mouths of white liberals who seem really intent on stoking the racial hatred of another yellow peril.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
What really pisses me off is they think they're helping. They don't think this fuck china, winnie-the-poo shit is going to be trumpeted by the state propaganda arm as being an attack on the concept of being Chinese? The CCP is probably fucking salivating at this sudden transferrence of anti Chinese-government shit into the mainstream western consciousness because the kernel of xenophobia at its core is easily transformable into a blown up parody version of itself. It's proof they hate us, they'll say. It's certainly fucking proof that nobody stops for two seconds to try and actually understand issues and jumps into the first most tempting narrative that comes along.

Hahahaha yeah right like they think they're helping at all.

They are just edgelords who think it's all hilarious because fuck china mirite. I'm amazed at how many so-called liberals are still racist as fuck-- they've just shifted their racism towards "acceptable" targets, aka, Asians.

Not hard to be disillusioned with the absolute fucking idiocy being sprayed around from the mouths of white liberals who seem really intent on stoking the racial hatred of another yellow peril.

That's because they haven't all decided that yellow peril is bad yet. Most of them have no idea what racism is, or how it presents differently across minorities.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I absolutely think there's portions who are just like kneejerk Fuck China because CCP bad but don't consider how they feed into this larger persecution narrative

Like Hierophant noted earlier it's very similiar to the way discourse about Chinese exchange students in Australia at the media level has been slowly shifting towards 'Every one of these international students is a secret agent of the CCP' when the truth is way more multifaceted

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who gives zero fucks about the NBA or LeBron's legacy, it's pretty funny in an ironic way to read that you're either in the fuck China/free Hong Kong or in the LeBron love/hate club.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I know there's obviously $$ involved with the NBA but I don't think it's terrible to stop at "I'm not qualified to speak on this issue" (Lebron, Kerr etc..) as it pertains to HK.

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hi my asian peeps. Thank you for bringing to attention what I've been feeling at ERA for a while.. especially with all the anti-chinese sentiments that is coming up more frequently due to the issues going on w/ China. I mostly lurk, and maybe have posted some food pics in this thread, but just wanted to come out of the shadows now in support of ya'll. I thought that maybe I'm being too sensitive and paranoid, but I see now that others are feeling the same.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
Hi my asian peeps. Thank you for bringing to attention what I've been feeling at ERA for a while.. especially with all the anti-chinese sentiments that is coming up more frequently due to the issues going on w/ China. I mostly lurk, and maybe have posted some food pics in this thread, but just wanted to come out of the shadows now in support of ya'll. I thought that maybe I'm being too sensitive and paranoid, but I see now that others are feeling the same.

Thanks Batman...I totally read this in Kevin Conroy's voice.

Nothing but love Sayre...please don't take offense

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i actually thought the visual design of Bruce Wayne in The Batman was very asian looking though obviously the rest of the narrative didn't support it at all

welcome sayre the food pics are also welcome

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
If I get banned, I love you fam.

dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

Another Chicago meetup sometime?

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
That thread is going as I expected. People dismissing concerns and thread not picking steam since people realize they can't just post "FUCK CHINA, FREE HK!" without probably catching a ban.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Come on, guys. You have to link your maybe ban-worthy posts.

It's only four pages long :D

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I'm genuinely impressed and somewhat jealous at how fast some of you all can compose coherent and thoughtful posts TPR and Pet especially.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why you guys keep engaging that loser in that thread. He's clearly only interested in having his own dumbass opinions validated

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
iu

Slight food intermission. I think Boba guys might be my favorite boba joint for the time being. Strawberry matcha latte w/ boba sounds like it wouldn't work but it so does..nice QQ boba...tart and sweet strawberry juice initially, creamy smooth texture and a slight matcha finish to reset the palette w/ every sip. If this is all wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
The strawberry matcha latte is fine, but generally I find Boba Guys' stuff to be too watered down.

I just got back from a week in Taipei and a week in Tokyo though. It's crazy how much boba has taken off in Japan since last year. So many boba shops now.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
So this is where some of the lovely faces (avatars?) I've seen in recent threads gather…
I usually don't get on the Etcetera side but it's been hard to not notice all these bs under the disguise of hypocritical slogans.

TrailerParkRanger Thank you for creating the thread.
And Pet Prax those are amazing posts you've made.

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Shit is frustrating. Kudos to y'all for trying.

I tried Tiger Sugar boba recently (brown sugar milk tea with cream mousse) since they opened another place here in NY. It was very yummy.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
iu

Slight food intermission. I think Boba guys might be my favorite boba joint for the time being. Strawberry matcha latte w/ boba sounds like it wouldn't work but it so does..nice QQ boba...tart and sweet strawberry juice initially, creamy smooth texture and a slight matcha finish to reset the palette w/ every sip. If this is all wrong, then I don't want to be right.
My wife likes them, too. Me, less so, as I find their selection of just plain ol' teas lacking.
All the boba I've tried around Cal has just been so disappointing. The actual boba is decent- qq and usually not too sweet.

But, the milk tea component... :(. Half the time I don't even GET boba in my drinks. I want a decent milk tea!!!

The strawberry matcha latte is fine, but generally I find Boba Guys' stuff to be too watered down.

I just got back from a week in Taipei and a week in Tokyo though. It's crazy how much boba has taken off in Japan since last year. So many boba shops now.
Surprising, honestly. How was your trip :)

So this is where some of the lovely faces (avatars?) I've seen in recent threads gather…
I usually don't get on the Etcetera side but it's been hard to not notice all these bs under the disguise of hypocritical slogans.

TrailerParkRanger Thank you for creating the thread.
And Pet Prax those are amazing posts you've made.

Hi Aestivalis! Welcome :)

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Surprising, honestly. How was your trip :)
It was great. I took a lot of food pictures but I don't want to make people hungry here lol. Went to the Pokemon Go Safari Zone in New Taipei City. Taipei has a new Breeze building next to Taipei 101 which just feels expensive lol. Tokyo was basically all eating and visiting shrines. I think I walked close to 10 miles a day for the past 2 weeks.

I will say that boba in Japan is expensive. 500-700 yen easy. Basically the same price as the US. It's just sad that it's so much more expensive compared to Taiwan which is easily less than half the price.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I had Boba Guys down here in Culver City btw.. What are some go to places in LA, specifically the west side? Traffic prevents me from trekking to SGV often.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
The ones I actually like going to around the bay area are probably Asha Tea House, Tiger Tea, Yifang (not that this really counts), Search Tea, iTea, and a couple others just for a quick fix. I do think a lot of places focus too much on sweetness rather than actually being able to taste the tea though.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The ones I actually like going to around the bay area are probably Asha Tea House, Tiger Tea, Yifang (not that this really counts), Search Tea, iTea, and a couple others just for a quick fix. I do think a lot of places focus too much on sweetness rather than actually being able to taste the tea though.
Yeah the latest trendy stuff hitting Toronto border on dessert milkshakes rather than tea. Which is weird considering how a lot of us are lactose intolerant

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

I tried both Asha and Yifang and found their milk teas to be incredibly disappointing.

I'll have to try Tiger, Search, and iTea.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Loved Abominable. Fam did too, but sadface at the china sea thing.

Yifengs been a thing up here in Seattle, at least for fruit teas. My GF loves Ding Tea, and for a local place up here, 20oz is really good. Although my GF practically drinks milk tea every day. (No sugar though)

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Where is TP Tea?

Bay Area is the only place where there are regular, one-hour queues for boba (and freaking everything).