• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this morning I came pretty close to being done with ResetEra. Every thread with China in the name basically descends into "Fuck China." Granted, some of this isn't limited to ResetEra and is the same across the wider internet, but there's no room for any sort of discussion on topics pertaining to China. You're just a CCP apologist if your opinion differs from the mob, leaving no room for nuanced debate. "China sucks" and "The CCP is evil" is kind of a strawman that's used to justify everything negative about China.

It's just gross that all these purported liberals who hate racism and discrimination come out and spread the same sort of xenophobia that Trump spouts when amplifying anything negative about China, without stopping and thinking about it critically first.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't actually liberal. At least, that's my hope, as if they actually are, then the caricature of the out-of-touch, bleeding heart "lib" would be true.

I think a good chunk of the users here are really just kids who want to prove they're smarter than everyone else and/or want validation for their life choices. That's why we get so many stupid ass posts about shit like there being no ethical consumption under capitalism or how no one should ever drive a car for any reason or how income/housing inequality is easy to fix if we just xyz. And it's also why we have so many people who will take zero personal responsibility for their failings and blame the system.

But seen through that lens, I have a lot of fun here by being less serious most of the time.

They also have suck-ass taste in games.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Given that Cerium, the owner of Resetera, is an Asian American, it's really disappointing how much racist and diet racist anti-Asian shit pops up here.

But, in all fairness, I must point out that, so far, my track record of having mods take action against posts that I report is 100% - whereas at the old place it remains at 0%.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The best part is, it's still better than a lot of other spaces on the internet!

Love to be online in 2019

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
They aren't actually liberal. At least, that's my hope, as if they actually are, then the caricature of the out-of-touch, bleeding heart "lib" would be true.

I think a good chunk of the users here are really just kids who want to prove they're smarter than everyone else and/or want validation for their life choices. That's why we get so many stupid ass posts about shit like there being no ethical consumption under capitalism or how no one should ever drive a car for any reason or how income/housing inequality is easy to fix if we just xyz. And it's also why we have so many people who will take zero personal responsibility for their failings and blame the system.

But seen through that lens, I have a lot of fun here by being less serious most of the time.

Spot on with this thought. It's also why I don't take any opinion here seriously until I've heard enough from them to know that the next thread they post isn't going to be something like "my dog ate my homework and here is why late stage capitalism is at fault."

Edit: Although that would probably be a funny thread to read.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
lol wow..

Well, idiots or malcontents or tryhards exist across the entire political spectrum and whatever other classifications for groupings of people. I am not that surprised.

While sinophobia rises there's also going to be a second idiot group of tankies talking up the same regime and people (both groups may also consider themselves extreme left/woke and probably are white lol). Gonna be an interesting time of extremes.

Putting that aside, so who here is likely to house their aging parents as per filial responsibility? haha Since I'm eldest, I assume it would be me, though is it technically it should be my currently unwed brother who would be eldest son?
I'm currently trying to figure out how to renovate my house to futureproof it so they have one floor access to everything they need when their mobility is shot. My mom actually suggested first that it was for ME when I got old that I should include a main floor walk-in shower but.. I think the implication is it would be for her and dad lol.

My parents used to house my paternal grandpa for a while until he actually broke a hip by tripping over something (rug?). That put him through a hospital stay where in his delerium he fell at some point again and pretty much ended his life. We then a decade later housed paternal grandma but her health problems were all over the place and had her in and out of hospitals until it finally all caught up with her. Both times, our housing situation wasn't the best for either healthwise (stairs, house probably breaking/drafty/damp), but they didn't have much choice as they were passed around/rejected by the rest of the huge family (either from bad blood or just people who didn't want to deal with them despite having much better resources).

Sad and difficult all around, but I want to be able to at least house mine without that same problems of having a bad environment!

Anyone else currently dealing with this or planning to?

Last edited:

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017

You're way more optimistic of what most liberals are than I am.

While this forum is definitely almost a caricature of what liberals are, it's not as extreme as you might think.

Which kind of make choosing a political party as an Asian American very difficult. Its like getting punched vs getting shot. I rather get punched but neither are good.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Putting that aside, so who here is likely to house their aging parents as per filial responsibility? haha Since I'm eldest, I assume it would be me, though is it technically it should be my currently unwed brother who would be eldest son?
I'm currently trying to figure out how to renovate my house to futureproof it so they have one floor access to everything they need when their mobility is shot. My mom actually suggested first that it was for ME when I got old that I should include a main floor walk-in shower but.. I think the implication is it would be for her and dad lol.

My parents used to house my paternal grandpa for a while until he actually broke a hip by tripping over something (rug?). That put him through a hospital stay where in his delerium he fell at some point again and pretty much ended his life. We then a decade later housed paternal grandma but her health problems were all over the place and had her in and out of hospitals until it finally all caught up with her. Both times, our housing situation wasn't the best for either healthwise (stairs, house probably breaking/drafty/damp), but they didn't have much choice as they were passed around/rejected by the rest of the huge family (either from bad blood or just people who didn't want to deal with them despite having much better resources).

Sad and difficult all around, but I want to be able to at least house mine without that same problems of having a bad environment!

Having elderly parents to take of in the future does scare me a bit. It was one of my concerns when I moved away (still the same continent) but we're a lot closer to my wife's parents so it was always going to be a balance. I have one brother who has stayed close to them so I'm not too worried. It's possible that he'll move into the old family home and renovate it to add a suite for my parents.

Care homes are an option too but some may have trouble adapting, plus there can be a language barrier to consider. My late grandfather was initially in a Western care home but wasn't happy so my dad moved him to one in Chinatown even if it was farther away from us.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You're way more optimistic of what most liberals are than I am.

While this forum is definitely almost a caricature of what liberals are, it's not as extreme as you might think.

Which kind of make choosing a political party as an Asian American very difficult. Its like getting punched vs getting shot. I rather get punched but neither are good.
For sure, the hardline "pragmatists" are even more insufferable (to the point that I just skip over their posts often), but I think they're also a subset of smarter-than-thou.

I do think that most of the posters here don't fall into that group. It's just that there are a lot who do, and they tend to post a lot.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
As a second generation with family in Hong Kong and with a girlfriend from the mainland, it's super awkward to browse here. I just lurk in those topics to get the general standpoint and refrain from posting.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Last week (I only see this thread now), one of my teachers asked if I was Japanese. I was like "Huh? What?" I'm Filipino/Chinese and I don't think I look Japanese at all haha

I guess it was because I wore my hat that day, so my hair was down.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Last week (I only see this thread now), one of my teachers asked if I was Japanese. I was like "Huh? What?" I'm Filipino/Chinese and I don't think I look Japanese at all haha

I pass for Korean or Japanese regularly, and I'm from Hong Kong.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I joined the school judo team and one of the Japanese instructors asked if I was Japanese on the second day.

I later paid her back similarly unintentionally when she said she was meeting up with her daughter after class and I asked if her daughter was visiting. No, nope, she is in high school and lives at home. I guess that person wasn't as old as I thought.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I tried that once. I was 17, and I took a trip to see my extended family for the summer. Came back with kinda bleached hair (it was like reddish brown, not black). My parents were so mad...

I think between my sister and myself we've got my family pretty well settled. My mom will probably want to live close to one of us at some point and that's okay with me. Probably won't be for a few more years though. I'm a bit more worried about my wife's family though, since they have a daughter who might need long term care.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017

The sheer amount of uninformed, immediate knee-jerk reactions in ERA's off-topic forum is simultaneously hilarious and infuriating. Everyone is bloodthirsty and chomping at the bit to start a dogpile.

And in almost every. Single. One. Of those threads, the facts come out a week later and everyone looks like an idiot. And when I quote the usual suspects and say, "See? Told you knee-jerk reactions are bad," people scream out I have shit takes. (Well, they used to, I'm pretty sure half of ERA has me on their ignore list by this point lmao.)

And then there's this thread--a giant pity-party by a lot of prominent progressive posters. 8 fucking pages of whining about first-world problems.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I think I might set a personal record today w/ # of posts I type out and subsequently erase after realizing what's the point.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Well I did my best on trying to clarify what the OP was or should have been about and not what the thread became.. a weird dumping ground of justifications of why everyone's zingers were on point lol.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
That OP was framed kind of badly, but that thread pretty much proved his point anyways

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
I know I've said it before...

But it's so fucking frustrating that this shit flies on a forum owned and run by an Asian American!

Any chance any of you would be interested in contacting Cerium to see if you can be a mod?

Dec 24, 2017
Is smoking still real common in Japan? Bunch of Japanese dudes visiting the local office in our tower this week, there are over a half dozen of them smoking on break now.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I think Cerium's hands are tied with trying to stay as non partisan as possible lest he be seen as actively "unfairly favouring/shielding" the wrong people or cause. He barely has a presence as far as I know!

Good luck to anyone who wants to become a mod, especially for this particular area of discussion.

My own experience as an Asian is that we're often sidelined when it comes to discussion about racism. We just cease to exist unless we're a helpful model minonrity to bash others with.

Is smoking still real common in Japan? Bunch of Japanese dudes visiting the local office in our tower this week, there are over a half dozen of them smoking on break now.
As a watcher of anime.. and having read one book on the subject a decade ago.. maybe? Haha! I think it goes with the "salaryman" culture.

In 2015, the adult smoking rate was 19.3%, 29.7% of Japanese men and 9.7% of Japanese women. This is the lowest recorded figure since Japan Tobacco began surveying in 1965. As of July 2016, just over 20,000,000 people smoked in Japan, though the nation remained one of the world's largest tobacco markets.

Seems pretty significant still even though these are the lowest levels ever!

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Re: Cerium.

Personally I want him to stay out of all this completely. If he participates, I want it under a different forum alias without any hints that he's the forum owner.

Let's be real- we know what will happen if he steps in about this. He can't win. He has to participate as one of us, haha.

Yeah this morning I came pretty close to being done with ResetEra. Every thread with China in the name basically descends into "Fuck China." Granted, some of this isn't limited to ResetEra and is the same across the wider internet, but there's no room for any sort of discussion on topics pertaining to China. You're just a CCP apologist if your opinion differs from the mob, leaving no room for nuanced debate. "China sucks" and "The CCP is evil" is kind of a strawman that's used to justify everything negative about China.

It's just gross that all these purported liberals who hate racism and discrimination come out and spread the same sort of xenophobia that Trump spouts when amplifying anything negative about China, without stopping and thinking about it critically first.

I'm guilty of this too. But yeah, it really feels like EXACTLY what you bolded. I would also add that it feels a lot like a lot of people just want to feel smug, self righteous, morally superior to others. No different than super religious people who look down on others and use religion to do so.

Spot on with this thought. It's also why I don't take any opinion here seriously until I've heard enough from them to know that the next thread they post isn't going to be something like "my dog ate my homework and here is why late stage capitalism is at fault."

Edit: Although that would probably be a funny thread to read.

I very recently found myself TYPING FURIOUSLY because someone was saying stupid ass shit about taxes. So yes. Half the shit now I'm like......mad side eye. But, there are a few posters I trust.

lol wow..

Well, idiots or malcontents or tryhards exist across the entire political spectrum and whatever other classifications for groupings of people. I am not that surprised.

While sinophobia rises there's also going to be a second idiot group of tankies talking up the same regime and people (both groups may also consider themselves extreme left/woke and probably are white lol). Gonna be an interesting time of extremes.

Meph and I assume we will take full responsibility of his parents (oldest son), my parents (oldest daughter because younger brother has CP), and younger brother (because he has CP). So, we joke we'll purchase one of those huge homes with wings and get a full time house aide and just have our own little compound.

Hi!

As well it should be. It's full of white wokeness rationalizing their racism. Era's white wokeness is so woke I get accused of anti-Asian racism.

rofl
The "well I haven't seen any sort of racism" replies. Oof.

These are...Yeah I see those responses and I just roll my eyes.

Last edited:

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The "well I haven't seen any sort of racism" replies. Oof.

its just insane like they straight up say

"As a white, your concerns are entirely invalid, fuck China!!!111 LMAO"

posts overwatch Mei meme

Like just completely brushing over any valid concerns of ours, when theres more hate attacks and bad shit happening, they won't say anything.

When there
As a second generation with family in Hong Kong and with a girlfriend from the mainland, it's super awkward to browse here. I just lurk in those topics to get the general standpoint and refrain from posting.
Its incredible how they think every single person in Hong Kong is unanimously in favour of the protests and begging to leave China's grasp rather than see it for what it actually is, a complex geopolitical issue that has dozens of factions on either side
Japanese cigarettes are much lighter from what I remember, I don't smoke often but when I did in Japan I noticed their regular cigarettes were really easy to take compared to the regular western one, that might be a factor in why they can smoke so much.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Like, it's already a mainstream media (and political) position here in Australia that every single Chinese (read: Asian because these idiots can't tell the difference) person is secretly a CCP spy.
51C576OYLfL.jpg

This book was a fucking bestseller here and it details how all of Chinese society is working in cahoots to undermine traditional Australian values, especially international students who spy on everyone here (which, for one I keep seeing repeated on ERA and it is complete fucking bullshit, international students are more concerned with getting in line for the next Yeezy or Jordan shoe drop, it just shows people here have never fucking spoken to Chinese people like ever.)

This shit happened here a few months ago:
When the man spat on one of them, the student asked him "What are you doing?" and pushed the man away from him, according to a video seen by Honi.
Following this, the student was punched in the face, and after retaliating with a punch himself, he was punched a second time. This second punch came with a key held in between the attacker's fingers, connecting with the student's left eye.
It will continue happening, think of how many Chinese people don't even call the cops on attacks because of language barrier/mistrust/not wanting to make a fuss?
Not to add the regular harrassment you get for being Asian (which I have personally recieved on a semi-regular basis this year.)

I'm now told by White Liberal ERA that we have no concerns and everything will be fine because "fuck the bad Chinese amirite? you're one of the good ones :)" (Though apparently if you bring attention to this, you're not a "good one" anymore and instead a CCP shill who gets social credit points.)

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
we have no concerns and everything will be fine because "fuck the bad Chinese amirite? you're one of the good ones :)" (Though apparently if you bring attention to this, you're not a "good one" anymore and instead a CCP shill who gets social credit points.)

Yeah I get this vibe, too.

Yuck.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of the story of that Seattle Asian college kid that got jail time for defending himself while some white college frat bro that beat him up was proclaimed a hero...

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
What really pisses me off is they think they're helping. They don't think this fuck china, winnie-the-poo shit is going to be trumpeted by the state propaganda arm as being an attack on the concept of being Chinese? The CCP is probably fucking salivating at this sudden transferrence of anti Chinese-government shit into the mainstream western consciousness because the kernel of xenophobia at its core is easily transformable into a blown up parody version of itself. It's proof they hate us, they'll say. It's certainly fucking proof that nobody stops for two seconds to try and actually understand issues and jumps into the first most tempting narrative that comes along.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

I know that thread was terrible, but Vietnam has pulled the film from their cinemas because it features the "Nine-dash line" on its maps. So maybe there was more to it. I haven't seen the movie and apparently it hasn't done that well in US or China, guess that's neither here nor there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-50040667

EGzOyuvVAAAp1zT.jpg

Edit: I see the rest of the forum has caught onto this news now, with the usual delay and once again people not bothering with actually reading anything. That Apple thread was pretty embarrassing and I'm glad it got called out.

Last edited:

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Nah man.... This place fuckin sucks....

Pretty funny how you can just spew bullshit about the Chinese language without speaking it and continue to generalise 1 billion people on here

Still somehow the best place for us though which really just goes to show how dogshit the discourse is on the internet now