• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Context? Is he accusing Simu of catering to 'MRAzns'?
He never named a name (from what I can tell) but he elaborated in this thread:

Very long thread but I pretty much agree with everything he said. Simu apparently took it as a shot at him (again, unclear to me who he was talking about and as far as I can tell he has not yet revealed who he was subtweeting, but I've seen him and Lewis Tan mentioned in the replies) and replied to it, and it got posted to one of the MRA subreddits and now there's a whole bunch of harassment going on.

He addresses Simu specifically in this thread:

Dec 24, 2017
I agree with him too...but, sometimes you can take the L and still make you rtotally valid point.

Like, I desperately want to go into that "Are you excited about the new Lindsay Stirling?" thread and drop my opinion on her, but the only people who are going to nod along are other classically trained musicians.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with him too...but, sometimes you can take the L and still make you totally valid point.

Like, I desperately want to go into that "Are you excited about the new Lindsay Stirling?" thread and drop my opinion on her, but the only people who are going to nod along are other classically trained musicians.
I see you in there 👀

I don't know who she is and I assume you're just trying to find something nice to say about her because you don't have a very positive opinion of her music

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL, that's a pretty diplomatic answer TrailerParkRanger. My friends showed me her songs back in high school when Skyrim dropped and I didn't want to be mean to them or come off pretentious as music kids can sometimes tend to do. What instrument do you play btw?

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Hey everyone. Kind of random, but I wanted to share something with some people since I don't have many friends now that I'm getting older.

One week until I get married!

Kind of surreal honestly. I grew up thinking for a long time that I don't think marriage is for me, especially with the marriages that were around me as a child. Things changed almost two years ago, and now it's been a highspeed journey to where I am now. Next week we tie the knot in Kyoto. Pretty exciting. My life has completely changed in almost every facet, and I can't wait to see where it goes next.

Dec 24, 2017
LOL, that's a pretty diplomatic answer TrailerParkRanger. My friends showed me her songs back in high school when Skyrim dropped and I didn't want to be mean to them or come off pretentious as music kids can sometimes tend to do. What instrument do you play btw?

Started piano, for 2 years, then I picked up violin. Played both for another 3 years, then chose to just do violin. Ended up playing violin regularly for about 20 years. Now, I just noodle around on it. Sometimes, I work on a piece for a couple hours a week. But with like weeks/months in between.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Started piano, for 2 years, then I picked up violin. Played both for another 3 years, then chose to just do violin. Ended up playing violin regularly for about 20 years. Now, I just noodle around on it. Sometimes, I work on a piece for a couple hours a week. But with like weeks/months in between.
Relatable. You must get a good chance to see a lot of decent concerts though since I think you've mentioned you're based in Chicago. Isn't Hilary Hahn from Chicago lol?

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Context? Is he accusing Simu of catering to 'MRAzns'?
Yes. Here's my problem with his most recent thread: there's a stark difference between second wave feminism and third wave feminism when it comes to colonialism as in the second wave doesn't address intersectionality or colonialism at all. If you listen to or read any post colonialist Asian feminist thought, you might be surprised at how closely it mirrors a lot of rhetoric that get Asian males grouped as MRAzns. This isn't to handwave the toxicity in the community, but blaming it on MRAzns is a real superficial way of addressing the problem of dismantling white supremacy.

There's some real hypocrisy when it comes how we react to Asian celebrities involving themselves in controversies when it comes to men and women. For example, Celeste Ng says some weird shit about John Cho and we can't call her ass out on it because of "preferences," but now we gotta cancel Simu Liu because he uses his sex appeal as praxis to market himself? It's just weird as fuck to me. Issues of harassment and emasculation are legitimate and the possibility of Ng or Liu being problematic doesn't take away from that, no matter how problematic the people are that echo similar messages. This obviously doesn't mean we shouldn't take them to task of course, but they can't be responsible for every idiot.

That's just my take.

Gotcha! I will shoplift the pootie.
I...hold on there...that's not what I'm...

...you know what:

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone. Kind of random, but I wanted to share something with some people since I don't have many friends now that I'm getting older.

Kind of surreal honestly. I grew up thinking for a long time that I don't think marriage is for me, especially with the marriages that were around me as a child. Things changed almost two years ago, and now it's been a highspeed journey to where I am now. Next week we tie the knot in Kyoto. Pretty exciting. My life has completely changed in almost every facet, and I can't wait to see where it goes next.

Congrats!

Life is funny like that: meeting the right person at the right time can change everything.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dang I missed that post in-between the Stirling banter, all the best fam! Bluebot

Jintor Also I may have learned piano but I transitioned to the clarinet :~) I wish I learned something I can just pick up and play in a small ensemble like drums though. Reeds are such a nuisance and woodwinds in general can be slightly temperamental.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
My moustache is growing so much that they're getting into my mouth..... Had to trim it off yesterday.

I just want the Dynasty Warriors Cao Cao look but it's not working out so far :(

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I've made elaborate parchment certificates to send to people as nominees for Disgrasian of the Year.

I'll dig one out and post a photo if I can find it my next trip home.

oui

Congrats!

I've decided to grow a mustache and goatee.

I'm finally transitioning into my dad.

gg

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA

Congrats! It's always amazing when something like this works out.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I got the opportunity to study the chinese language in China through a scholarship for a full academic year but there's so god damn much negativity towards China on the internet that I'm having second thoughts. Like, I'm actually starting to feel bad if I eventually go.

Anyone here from China? More specifically from Xi'an (this is where I would stay)? I would love to hear some of your opinions! I hope this is the right place to ask.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So I got the opportunity to study the chinese language in China through a scholarship for a full academic year but there's so god damn much negativity towards China on the internet that I'm having second thoughts. Like, I'm actually starting to feel bad if I eventually go.

Anyone here from China? More specifically from Xi'an (this is where I would stay)? I would love to hear some of your opinions! I hope this is the right place to ask.

It seems like a pretty great educational opportunity for immersion language learning, while forming opinions about the country/province for yourself while there.

But if that seems like a major commitment to something you're concerned you may regret and feel stuck, do some research based on other visiting students' or expats' impressions, not what's generally going around the news. The negativity you describe toward China tends to revolve around its central government and their actions, not against its domestic population. It's not that different from the current situation in the US, where there's a constant flurry of predictably dangerous buffoonery from the central government that has almost nothing to do individual citizens living in the US on a day-to-day scale (excepting certain populations, like undocumented immigrants), and engenders a similarly toxic international response/reputation.

You should feel hesitant if you're unsure you want to commit to a year abroad, but the actions and positions of the central government itself should have little effect on your stay there, so I'd say you're worried about the wrong things.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, Xi'an seemed like a nice very safe city when I visited. Good food. Very crowded metro (and a bit of a smell!), though.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
It seems like a pretty great educational opportunity for immersion language learning, while forming opinions about the country/province for yourself while there.

But if that seems like a major commitment to something you're concerned you may regret and feel stuck, do some research based on other visiting students' or expats' impressions, not what's generally going around the news. The negativity you describe toward China tends to revolve around its central government and their actions, not against its domestic population. It's not that different from the current situation in the US, where there's a constant flurry of predictably dangerous buffoonery from the central government that has almost nothing to do individual citizens living in the US on a day-to-day scale (excepting certain populations, like undocumented immigrants), and engenders a similarly toxic international response/reputation.

You should feel hesitant if you're unsure you want to commit to a year abroad, but the actions and positions of the central government itself should have little effect on your stay there, so I'd say you're worried about the wrong things.

Good post. In addition, these things usually have some sort of exit clause, so if you really really hate it (for either personal or political reasons) then you probably have a way out.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thank you very much for this post.

I've always loved chinese culture and language, so last year I enrolled in Chinese classes. I've been learning for two semesters now and loved every minute of it, making me apply to this scholarship. I never though I would get it, because it's a european scholarship (meaning lots of people applying), but the Confucius Institute teacher was super pumped that I was applying and she gave me a recommendation letter. I guess that helped a lot.

I'm super excited. Never left the country, never set foot on a plane. This can be life changing - I have to quit/suspend my current job, leave family and friends for a while. But my girlfriend is a student at the university I was placed, so not really that bad.

This is not a really big skill (knowing chinese) to have on my field but god damn, one year full scholarship? This is super hard to pass up. I just hope it doesn't ruin any future interviews haha

For what it's worth, Xi'an seemed like a nice very safe city when I visited. Good food. Very crowded metro (and a bit of a smell!), though.
Well, to be honest, I'm already expecting that. It's a city bigger than any city I have in my country.

Good post. In addition, these things usually have some sort of exit clause, so if you really really hate it (for either personal or political reasons) then you probably have a way out.
Yeah. I hope I just end up loving it. Anyway, this can be an amazing experience.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This is not a really big skill (knowing chinese) to have on my field but god damn, one year full scholarship? This is super hard to pass up. I just hope it doesn't ruin any future interviews haha

I don't see how this could be a problem for interviews. Not everything has to be directly technically related, and can be framed as something positive about you as a person. You should talk about studying abroad as a big risk that you chose to take, as indicative of your own initiative and being outside of your comfort zone, the things you gave up, and what you learned as a result.

If I've learned anything about interviews, at least in the US, interviewers want to know about you as a person just as much as what technical skills you have, because they want to see if you are a good fit for their team/project, provided you do at least have the chops to handle the work.

Dec 24, 2017
I've never hated my work as much as I do this job. I work a job where I perpetuate cyclical poverty in the US. The only reason I work this job is so I can have the insurance to treat my cancer.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to uni to learn about the issues with the system then getting a job to uphold said system has been an on-going nightmare scenario for me lol. I'ma sell out yall

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how this could be a problem for interviews. Not everything has to be directly technically related, and can be framed as something positive about you as a person. You should talk about studying abroad as a big risk that you chose to take, as indicative of your own initiative and being outside of your comfort zone, the things you gave up, and what you learned as a result.

If I've learned anything about interviews, at least in the US, interviewers want to know about you as a person just as much as what technical skills you have, because they want to see if you are a good fit for their team/project, provided you do at least have the chops to handle the work.
I mean, I work in IT. I'm a computer engineer that wants to learn chinese, that's why I said that.

But I guess that education is never enough. Thank you!!

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Just popping in since this is the one of only topics I see that showed up in search regarding Wu Assassins. Absolutely enjoyed it, cheese and all. What was great too was when I was watching it, with the family. They were really excited to see that it was majority Asian-American.

I'm sure it's been said a lot, but I can't give enough love to the Byron Mann scene in the diner going in about the Chinese Exclusion Act and the Geary Act.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good article. He does talk to a lot of students that AA would affect and also talks to those involved in the court case. Particularly key I feel is the bit towards the end:

Edward Blum, Delmar Fears and Yukong Zhao may not agree on much of anything, but they all have made versions of an argument that the spirit of affirmative action has been replaced by a largely cosmetic, overly simplified diversity that allows elite institutions to report gains in black and Latino student populations without having to engage in the harder work of undoing systemic inequality. Waters's question from 2004 has largely gone unaddressed: If you stop random supporters of affirmative action on the street and ask why they believe in it, they will most likely discuss the need to address the harms of historic, institutional racism. They may talk abstractly about a poor, "inner city" or "urban" kid in, say, Detroit and how his test scores, grades and accomplishments should be evaluated in the context of the extraordinary inequality within this country.

The truth at Harvard and other elite private colleges is that the supposed zero-sum game of admissions slots isn't really between Asian immigrants and the descendants of enslaved people, but rather between Asian immigrants, Latino immigrants and black immigrants. Some inevitable, deeply uncomfortable questions arise: If you compare an Asian-American student raised in poverty by parents who fled Vietnam during the fall of Saigon with the son of Chilean doctors who come from generational wealth and sent their child to 12 years of private school, who is more privileged? If you accept that the child of, say, solidly middle-class Ghanaian immigrants has to deal with racism in the work force, profiling by the police and all the harms of systemic inequality while the same working-class Asian kid gets to slide into whiteness, how much advantage do you give to ameliorate the disadvantage between one immigrant and another? What if you replace the working-class Vietnamese student with the daughter of Bangladeshi immigrants, who, among other things, has had to deal with the profiling of Muslim communities and Trump's travel ban? These are not outlier examples used in bad faith to present a provocative but false choice. At Harvard and other elite schools, the outlier example is the "inner city" kid from Detroit.

These bizarre, discomforting litigations of race and privilege make sense only within the context of the most exclusive places in America. But if Harvard loses in the Supreme Court, Blum will be closer to his goal of eliminating racial preferences, not only in college admissions but also in every other corner of federal law. Even if Blum eventually loses this case, it's hard to imagine that he will stop. In 2014, S.F.F.A. filed another discrimination lawsuit, against the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The U.N.C. case, which has yet to go to trial, is not about Asian-American applicants, but the goal is the same: end affirmative action everywhere.

On March 12 of this year, a group of federal prosecutors in the same Boston building as Judge Burroughs's courtroom unsealed the indictments in Operation Varsity Blues, the nationwide college-admissions bribery case that set off a monthslong media circus involving everyone from the actress Felicity Huffman to the head coach of Yale's women's soccer team. Legally speaking, Varsity Blues has nothing to do with S.F.F.A. v. Harvard, but the scandal recast the affirmative-action debate in a bit of a humiliating yet ultimately necessary context: It felt as if a bunch of minorities were clawing at one another while a line of entitled, less qualified white kids walked through the gates of Ivy League schools as their alumni parents unpacked an S.U.V. filled with weird rackets and skis.

Edward Blum needs to be stopped tho

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good article. He does talk to a lot of students that AA would affect and also talks to those involved in the court case. Particularly key I feel is the bit towards the end:

Edward Blum needs to be stopped tho

Finally got around to reading the article. Edward Blum and his ilk are fucked up. It's good that the author separates and properly defines the opinions of affirmative action from the perspective of the Asian student vs the Asian immigrant parent. One of the most eye opening stats was how even amongst black admissions, most black students at Harvard consists of African, Caribbean immigrants and that Black American applicants from families 2 or more generations in the US are still largely ignored.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
So I just read through that "Japanese calligraphic text is cool" thread and wow, that was quite something LOL.

Dec 24, 2017
I'm getting this feeling based on "outreach" I've gotten from The Yang Gang, that I'm going to dislike Asian supporters of Andrew Yang. They give off a vibe that is unsettling to me.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
I'm getting this feeling based on "outreach" I've gotten from The Yang Gang, that I'm going to dislike Asian supporters of Andrew Yang. They give off a vibe that is unsettling to me.
I haven't been keeping up. What's this vibe like? And can't say I am a yang supporter either to be realistic. As awesome as it would be to have an Asian American up there, he's not the one.

Dec 24, 2017
I haven't been keeping up. What's this vibe like? And can't say I am a yang supporter either to be realistic. As awesome as it would be to have an Asian American up there, he's not the one.

The ones I've spoken to, have a Bernie Bro with an Asian MRA vibe.

"Yo, Asian Bro, you need to support Andrew Yang because he's Asian. And you know, you're Asian too."

But I don't agree with his policies and in general would never vote for a technocrat.

"Why do you gotta be like that? You're an Uncle Chan."

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Recently spoke to two friends about Sanders and Yang. 30+ yo dudes. They didn't like Yang that much. Spoke to another friend and he's all aboard because of UBI. My BIL doesn't like Yang's policies.

Non-related people? I have no idea. I wouldn't be surprised if most Asians around here are on the Yang train just because he's Asian and because of UBI.

Paget is going crazy and all in on Yang. Her YouTube videos are just constant Yang videos. It's pretty scary. Her videos used to be decent until she went crazy with the Yang videos.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
The ones I've spoken to, have a Bernie Bro with an Asian MRA vibe.

"Yo, Asian Bro, you need to support Andrew Yang because he's Asian. And you know, you're Asian too."

But I don't agree with his policies and in general would never vote for a technocrat.

"Why do you gotta be like that? You're an Uncle Chan."

He has no chance so I'm not super worried.

I think he's a good guy and his issues are important. I just hope the next president pays attention.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Dude told her mom she was making a Japanese dish wrong. She should've slapped the shit out of him on the spot.

Last edited: