• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
About to head out for the night. Date night! This weekend is gonna be studying and chores though. I changed one of my classes to P/NP earlier today, so I'm feeling a bit better than Thursday.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I know people said the title was really clever, but it just hit me what it really meant! Great job, Pet.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
What up, everyone, reppin Southeast Asia, my only claim to fame is being a neighbor to Hank Hill. Just joined after lurking the old site for years, figured now is a good time as any and excellent OP.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose I should post here now that I'm starting fresh here, didn't post too much on GAF but occasionally checked this thread out. Vietnamese, but born in the United States and occasionally feel out of place as an Asian American, currently in DC.

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just got accepted here. Good to see some familiar faces though I mostly lurked before. As a contribution here are some food pics from some of my memorable trips.

IMG_3119.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

IMG_3765.jpg

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose I should post here now that I'm starting fresh here, didn't post too much on GAF but occasionally checked this thread out. Vietnamese, but born in the United States and occasionally feel out of place as an Asian American, currently in DC.
You ain't alone. I live in northeast Ohio where rednecks are the norm and I stick out like a sore thumb. Whenever I travel it feels damn good to be in a diverse area and that weight feels lifted off my shoulders.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
You ain't alone. I live in northeast Ohio where rednecks are the norm and I stick out like a sore thumb. Whenever I travel it feels damn good to be in a diverse area and that weight feels lifted off my shoulders.

Before DC I was in Houston, and before then I was in Nebraska. Obviously in Nebraska, there's very very few Asians so that was a bit weird in hindsight. I used to shrug it off. In Houston, I felt out of place for entirely different reasons, having grown up in Nebraska for so long, I didn't feel like I fit that well within the Vietnamese community so I felt kinda stuck in between. DC is probably the most comfortable place I've been in so far. Since most people are transplants, everybody brings a little bit of something here.

Oct 27, 2017
I usually lurk more than I post but the shiny new forum is pretty exciting. I'm Canadian-born, and of Chinese and Filipino descent. I spoke Cantonese as my first language and find it a little sad that I lost it all after starting school. Luckily, I still got my food vocab - always a high priority.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all new folks are disappointing us older folks :shakes Millennial Hmong fists:

Where them food pics at?!?!!

Just kidding. Welcome welcome. Nice to see so many new and old lurkers. It's time for us to unite and help each other no matter where we are ^_^

Deleted member 1287

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before DC I was in Houston, and before then I was in Nebraska. Obviously in Nebraska, there's very very few Asians so that was a bit weird in hindsight. I used to shrug it off. In Houston, I felt out of place for entirely different reasons, having grown up in Nebraska for so long, I didn't feel like I fit that well within the Vietnamese community so I felt kinda stuck in between. DC is probably the most comfortable place I've been in so far. Since most people are transplants, everybody brings a little bit of something here.
Hey hey fellow DMV friend o/

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys! former lurker here as well... probably as good a time as any to officially join the community.

Loved the title of the old thread btw, I actually have had a lego stormtrooper keychain since forever... been obsessed with them since watching A New Hope way back when.

Last edited:

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all new folks are disappointing us older folks :shakes Millennial Hmong fists:

Where them food pics at?!?!!

Just kidding. Welcome welcome. Nice to see so many new and old lurkers. It's time for us to unite and help each other no matter where we are ^_^
My bad, here's a stock photo of dinner tonight. Mom hooked it up and the stomach pain was worth it.

Papaya-Salad.jpg

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
So it was one of those where the first few bites don't hurt at all, but once you've been smashing it for awhile cause you're starving and it tastes good, then you realize, "oh shit".

tous

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Hi Asian Era. I never posted ever on the old forum. Mainly just liked to lurk and read. Anyways, repping Hmong people from the good ol' Midwest.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
The last time i saw any Southeast Asians peeps like Hmong, Viet, Lao or Cambodians on a forum at the same time was Asian Avenue. Damn I must be old. But glad to see all Asians get along here.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest, I haphazardly fumbled through Asian Ave because I had no idea how internet worked at the time and I was just trading mixtapes from Asian djs. I can honestly say I've never even heard of Asian Town.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. That's okay. Asian Town was a mistake. *Insert Miyazaki quote*

It's essentially where the ghetto ass Asian kids hung out and tried online dating for Asian teenagers (and start gang beef, lol).

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I miss Chatime. All of the ones around San Francisco closed.

I did have sea salt jasmine green tea at 85° Bakery though.

I can't believe in Taiwan, all these drinks are like under $1. Feeling so ripped off paying $4-5 for a drink lol.

rpmurphy

Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Is there a good place in the US (Atlanta here) for oden? I get that craving for it so much every once and a while, and even though it's not that difficult to make it at home, it would be super nice to go somewhere that makes it better. I can never get the hard-boiled eggs just right.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Try some Bay Area boba. They're 1000% better than what LA's got. Less ice, more flavor, still cold generally.

LIES AND SLANDER.

Come to think of it, I never tried boba when I was in SF. Do you have any recommended places? I usually get coffee but I'd LOVE to find a place that does a good, simple, strong milk tea (with black tea because I'm a purist >=o.)

Also, if you ever come down to LA... well, just get less ice in your drinks :D. Also, we have some of the most legit places, because hello we have the most Chinese/Taiwanese in the entire US.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't really tried boba in SF or LA, but here to say it's pretty good in Seattle.

I feel like everyone calls it bubble tea instead of boba up here

Deleted member 9824

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
LIES AND SLANDER.

Come to think of it, I never tried boba when I was in SF. Do you have any recommended places? I usually get coffee but I'd LOVE to find a place that does a good, simple, strong milk tea (with black tea because I'm a purist >=o.)

Also, if you ever come down to LA... well, just get less ice in your drinks :D. Also, we have some of the most legit places, because hello we have the most Chinese/Taiwanese in the entire US.
I never lie! :(((

Honestly, I never got milk tea in SF before. Just around where my parents live, and they usually never last for a month (exaggeration, of course). By the time you get to your hotel or wherever, the shop's probably shut down lol. There's always new ones popping up and going, but Tapioca Express is always there.