• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
It's totally okay if you only know English.Most of the staffs working at the tourist hot-spots can speak English, or at least understand it. Street signs, subway stations names and things like this are all written in English, besides in Chinese.

But if you want to visit Shanghai as a totally independent traveler, and don't plan to contact any English tourism service company, then the best advice I can give is this: download a Chinese cab-calling APP. The most popular APP of its kind is "滴滴打车",you can change its language display to English easily. The cab-drivers here rarely respond to hand-waving calling along the street now, they all pick up customer through APP. I lost counts of how many times of me witnessing the sights of tourists or old people, waving hands desperately, but waves of taxis just ignore them.

Awesome, thanks for the tips!

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
That baijiu stuff looks neat to cook with. 52% damn. I wonder how it will affect the taste of food, especially marinating a pork belly. I usually use shaoxing wine and that's only 14%.

Sneijder

Oct 28, 2017
Cologne
Hey Folks,

i have a question. Its about the parents from my girlfriend. They re South Korean and live in Germany, I am Turkish and also live there. The Problem is, they don't like me much, they tolerate me, but thats it. At this point I don't know what to do, the first time when my girl brought me home to meet each other, I brought some gift (wine and chocolate) and also thanked for the invitation and the dinner. More than any other from the guys they dated did anything, her sister had a boyfriend, he was German/polish and they loved him, did everything for him, cleaned his clothes etc...
because he was German. They have also Students because they have a Taekwondo School (yaya what a cliche xD) and they tried to couple her Daughter with a German guy.... what the fuck are they in with the German love?

Do you have any ideas? Or should I ignore it and give a fuck?

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
Hey Folks,

i have a question. Its about the parents from my girlfriend. They re South Korean and live in Germany, I am Turkish and also live there. The Problem is, they don't like me much, they tolerate me, but thats it. At this point I don't know what to do, the first time when my girl brought me home to meet each other, I brought some gift (wine and chocolate) and also thanked for the invitation and the dinner. More than any other from the guys they dated did anything, her sister had a boyfriend, he was German/polish and they loved him, did everything for him, cleaned his clothes etc...
because he was German. They have also Students because they have a Taekwondo School (yaya what a cliche xD) and they tried to couple her Daughter with a German guy.... what the fuck are they in with the German love?

Do you have any ideas? Or should I ignore it and give a fuck?

The short answer is you should probably ignore it.

It's hard to give a real answer without understanding their motivations. Do you suspect that they don't like you because you're not "white"? If so, there's obviously nothing you can do to change that. That said (and I'm really generalizing here), folks from the older Korean generation tend to love it when foreigners take a genuine interest in Korean culture/language/food/everything. If you make a concerted effort to learn about your girlfriend's cultural background, that will likely earn you some serious points. Tread lightly because there's a fine line between adopting cultural behavior and mocking it. Little things like making sure that your girlfriends' parents drinking glasses are filled first are probably good for starters.

But seriously, talk it over with your girlfriend first and take your cues from her.

Sneijder

Oct 28, 2017
Cologne
The short answer is you should probably ignore it.

It's hard to give a real answer without understanding their motivations. Do you suspect that they don't like you because you're not "white"? If so, there's obviously nothing you can do to change that. That said (and I'm really generalizing here), folks from the older Korean generation tend to love it when foreigners take a genuine interest in Korean culture/language/food/everything. If you make a concerted effort to learn about your girlfriend's cultural background, that will likely earn you some serious points. Tread lightly because there's a fine line between adopting cultural behavior and mocking it. Little things like making sure that your girlfriends' parents drinking glasses are filled first are probably good for starters.

But seriously, talk it over with your girlfriend first and take your cues from her.

Ive talked with my girlfriend, she says they are weird and I should ignore it, but I don't know it keeps nagging me...
They like only blond white German guys, they hate even Korean people... I don't know I find it really unfair, coz I try to be a better boyfriend and a (future) son in law, but I think it is time wasting...

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe some of those posts in the brain implant thread with making fun of an Asian name and that same Dr black poster. I hope some of you reported some posts.

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I don't know what thread you're talking about. Link?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/scientists-boost-human-memory-using-brain-implant.7412/

Not directed at you, but more of a general statement:
There's a long history of people making fun of Asian names to demean them, dehumanize them, and portray them as the "other".
It's already shitty to make fun of someone's name. They don't have a choice about how they're named, and it can be difficult to get a name change (legally and otherwise).
It's even shittier to bring casual racism into it because you think it's funny.

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/threads/scientists-boost-human-memory-using-brain-implant.7412/

Not directed at you, but more of a general statement:
There's a long history of people making fun of Asian names to demean them, dehumanize them, and portray them as the "other".
It's already shitty to make fun of someone's name. They don't have a choice about how they're named, and it can be difficult to get a name change (legally and otherwise).
It's even shittier to bring casual racism into it because you think it's funny.

Thanks for the link. It looks like a mod's on it. And not to dox myself, but as someone who grew up with the name "Tang", I assure you I understand.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Visiting Orange County for the week from SF and damn...it's 90 in Irvine today lol.

Tried the matcha milk tea at Milk Box in Tustin. Pretty good. Almost tempted to try that $23 boba matcha milk tea drink...

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Visiting Orange County for the week from SF and damn...it's 90 in Irvine today lol.

Tried the matcha milk tea at Milk Box in Tustin. Pretty good. Almost tempted to try that $23 boba matcha milk tea drink...

I live in Irvine.

You should have stopped by and said hi :D

If you're still in town on Saturday let me know and we'll get boba!!!!

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I live in Irvine.

You should have stopped by and said hi :D

If you're still in town on Saturday let me know and we'll get boba!!!!
I'm staying with my brother in Costa Mesa until Wednesday night (yay for being able to work from home, or anywhere with internet).

Dropped off my mom at the Spectrum 2 hours ago so she can walk around but the weather means I just want to stay somewhere with AC lol.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Were ya'll talking about Fancy soft serve ice cream shops before? I kinda forgot. Either way, got one today on the way home from dinner with girlfriend, my sister and her fiancee. The cone was the best part, they dusted it with "activated charcoal," which made the chemist in me laugh a bit.

img_1805j1r18.jpg

Place was Little Damage, in DTLA. It has a photo booth in the back if you want to get goofy (your ice cream will melt in the interim). 7 Dollars is a bit pricey for soft serve, but overall it wasn't bank breaking IMO.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Was it good?

Also, on another note, I am visiting some (basically estranged) family in SF in a couple of weeks. Do y'all know if there's anything here in LA that they don't have up there? I'm thinking Kelly's Kookies, but is there something better?

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Was it good?

Also, on another note, I am visiting some (basically estranged) family in SF in a couple of weeks. Do y'all know if there's anything here in LA that they don't have up there? I'm thinking Kelly's Kookies, but is there something better?

I would say that it was no better than other fancy ice cream shops. The cone was pretty damn good though, "activated charcoal" is delicious, gotta say.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Will try one day. Thanks!

There's a place in Torrance that puts activated charcoal in its burger buns. It's called Oko Cafe.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Sour Sally frozen yoghurt shops in Indonesia also got into the activated charcoal hype a while back.

wpid-20151002_142210-1.jpg

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I thought activated charcoal was an actual thing?

It is kind of a thing, but not like a thing that I'd sprinkle over food just cause at this point. The effectiveness of it as anything other than anti toxin treatment has not been studied enough to make any claims to actually being a health benefit. For example, if you wanted to reduce cholesterol intake I might advice you to eat more plant sterols/stanols instead of relying on activated charcoal.

That being said, it's perfectly harmless as far as we know, so I mean, I wouldn't avoid it, but I wouldn't trip over myself trying to get it into my body either.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I still want to live in Cali one day T_T

Kind of afraid of the huge housing costs, so SF is out of the picture. I tried looking at jobs in Cali before I graduated college but a lot of them won't bother to interview unless you're a Cali resident...

I recently moved from Pittsburgh to Austin for a new job and it's probably the closest to Cali I've ever been. It's incredibly warm during the winter compared to the Midwest/northeast.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
It is kind of a thing, but not like a thing that I'd sprinkle over food just cause at this point. The effectiveness of it as anything other than anti toxin treatment has not been studied enough to make any claims to actually being a health benefit. For example, if you wanted to reduce cholesterol intake I might advice you to eat more plant sterols/stanols instead of relying on activated charcoal.

That being said, it's perfectly harmless as far as we know, so I mean, I wouldn't avoid it, but I wouldn't trip over myself trying to get it into my body either.
Activated... charcoal? Sounds like buzzwords for bullshit, LOL

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Activated charcoal is the latest trend. I've seen it in lemonade.

I didn't know they used it to make drinks haha. I had to look this up. Wow, that is something else.

Activated... charcoal? Sounds like buzzwords for bullshit, LOL

It works great as a medicine if you have stomach problems like lots of gas or bloating or mild food poisoning.

Except it makes your poop turn black.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
The marrying your virtual wife thread is an example of what I talked about last page. A bunch of posts in that thread basically using otaku weirdness to broad brush Japanese dudes into walking stereotypes. i reported a few of the worst this morning but they continue to pile on in, heedless of a mod warning earlier on page two.

hermit

Oct 25, 2017
I've been drunk for 4 days straight. My weight loss goals have been set back at least two weeks. I need some sleep

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
If any of you really really really love your mothers (or wives?) and want them to know it, Bloomingdale is having a 10% off skin care sale, and ebates is having a 10% cashback reward for Bloomingdales. La Mer is also having a $75 off purchases of $350 or more.

So you can basically get either 20% off if you spend $350 (exactly) at La Mer (but anything more than that is decreasing the saving), or you can get 19% off all purchases of skin care from Bloomingdales.

I really really love my mom, mother in law, and grandma. But not myself. haha

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
That baijiu stuff looks neat to cook with. 52% damn. I wonder how it will affect the taste of food, especially marinating a pork belly. I usually use shaoxing wine and that's only 14%.
Alcohol evaporates when you cook it, so it's everything left over that lends the taste. Hence why restaurants can serve kids food made with wine reductions.
Since baijiu is such high alcohol content and filtered, there's probably not much left over to lend flavor. Also, it's expensive and already tastes like shit anyway!

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Oh wtf I live in Irvine, like right next to this.

I should check it out sometime :o

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I'll be up in Petaluma tomorrow, getting my cheese on. I'm just gonna give all my friends cheese this year. I might actually start making my own next year too.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Crystal Liu as Mulan. Maybe she was the cheapest "known" person in the US/Hollywood mix. I've seen her in a few films that hit theaters in the US.

A little old (30), but only by like.. a decade I guess. A 20 year old would be preferable. Shang should only be like 28 at most, too.

I hope the movie is going to be in Chinese, otherwise they should have picked someone who speaks English as their first language.

Oct 28, 2017
My cousin is dating a girl who hates Jews, even though he's (obviously) a Jew himself. I'm just completely blown away.

How do you deal with a relative who has internalized that much racism/self-hatred?

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
That noodle soup thread got me craving beef noodle soup big time. The wifey bought an instant pot for Black Friday and we've heard rumors about how good instant pot made niu rou mian is. Eager to try my hand at this.