• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
That's actually literally the point.

Plus their last names will be Angelicized.

My kids are getting into any Ivy for sure hahahahahaha. They're just not going to mark their race LOL.

*edit:

Only if you name your next kid Justina :p

Lmao I should totally change my surname to Young or something, maybe get more job interviews that way

Oct 28, 2017
Many "white" names are actually Westernized/Anglicized Hebrew ones.

Jonathan = Yonatan
Michael = Mikha'el
Debbie = Devorah
Josh = Yehoshua
Sam = Shmu'el
Rebecca = Rivqah
Elizabeth = Elisheva
Joel = Yo'el
Nathan = Natan

Etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I'm not a fan of Aiden (because it's too close to Jayden), but it's visually appealing and it's a really nice name tbh.

Oct 28, 2017
Just so I know, we're allowed to post anything related to Asian (in the broader continental sense) politics and issues? Or do we have to leave certain things to the OT section?

I hope that's not a stupid question.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
On Thursday I bought a bag of Costco's Chocolate Covered Mangoes.
On Sunday I wanted more, so I sent my dearest husband went to the local Costco... only to find it was completely sold out in all five of the nearby stores.

We ended up making a trek the next day ~15 miles away. just to find a Costco that stocked them, and seriously, seriously debated buying ten bags.

I ended up with four. :>

They are so good. Like crack, truly.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
IT'S SO GOOD.

Also the House passed their bill.

THOSE FUCKERS LKGSKSDGHSLDGHSDG.

Goddamn fuck this country is just a bunch of dumbass poor people who want to keep being poor I guess.

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I'm screwed then. Or at least I would be if I wasn't leaving the country.

This week has been a colossal clusterfuck of bullshit.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
I'm not a fan of Aiden (because it's too close to Jayden), but it's visually appealing and it's a really nice name tbh.

try Alden.
it's a brand name, like Rayban. to tie the discussion of names back, Rayban is a name a chinese kid considered to call himself. true story, but a hazy memory of.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Miletius - yeah tbh it's kinda boring that white girls think we want to look white. Like, sure, there might be some who do, and yes, beauty standards are often influenced by the dominant world power, but personally, I don't find white people to be better looking or have better features, and most Asians don't, so... okay.

I have natural double eyelids, pale skin, and dark brown & black hair. I look Asian as fuck, and I love my Asian features. White chicks shouldn't flatter themselves thinking I want to look anything like them. They might as well claim they diet and get lipo to be thin like us Asian girls :)
Yeah, it really annoys me when they think they're the centre of the universe and everybody else just want to be like them. The obsession with lighter skin in Asia has been around much longer than Western culture has been dominant across the world.

Your comparison with the Western obsession to dieting and lipo is spot on, I think.

"Why do anime characters look white thooooo...."
Oh god! The worst is how these people can't see how it'd be different from outside their own point of view, even after fifteen people try explain it to them.

I kind of feel bad for laughing at Chinese people's silly American names. Am I wrong? I mean, I've encountered people with names like Pizza Wong, Sweet Chen, and yesterday, I almost died laughing but... Feeling Dong. I know I know, dong is an American slang, and them knowing this is slim, but Feeling? Really?
At first I thought maybe they were just translating the literal meaning of their Chinese names so as to not have a foreign-looking name that everyone pronounces wrong, but then surely nobody called themselves Pizza hahaha

Last edited:

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
How do the community here feels about supposedly Asian activists in the West when their private lives look more whitewashed ones?

Hanging out mostly with white people, have little interest in Asia's entertainment, strong preferences for white spouses etc?

As an Asian not from the western country but unfortunately live in an era where the global propaganda arms of white supremacy reach his country via cultural and economic dominance, these Asian activists always felt disingenuous and probably won't complain if the white-washing / supremacy serve their self-interest.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Yeah can you elaborate?

I don't think that hanging out with white people and having little interest in Asian entertainment or having white spouses has much to do with being an Asian activist. I'm not gay but I'd hope that wouldn't stop anyone from labeling me as an activist for LGBTQ+ rights.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah can you elaborate?

I don't think that hanging out with white people and having little interest in Asian entertainment or having white spouses has much to do with being an Asian activist. I'm not gay but I'd hope that wouldn't stop anyone from labeling me as an activist for LGBTQ+ rights.

I feel like it's a case of a "practice what you preac" kind of thing

For example, this one girl I knew ran a presentation/workshop about Asian masculinity that was both informative/uplifting. This girl also happened to be dating a white guy.

Now those two things aren't linked, (and I don't think they should be) but you can see where it seems weird that she preached how emasculated Asian guys are in the media and how to combat it/unlearn our perceptions but she doesn't go with an Asian guy. My guess is that's where the thought process is.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Also not sure if this is off topic...but does anyone play Destiny 2 on PS4? I'm looking to join a clan and I'm not terribly great, just wanting to do the weekly nightfall/raids/whatever to get the Engrams. I was thinking we could make an Asian Era D2 group lol

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

For example, this one girl I knew ran a presentation/workshop about Asian masculinity that was both informative/uplifting. This girl also happened to be dating a white guy.

Now those two things aren't linked, (and I don't think they should be) but you can see where it seems weird that she preached how emasculated Asian guys are in the media and how to combat it/unlearn our perceptions but she doesn't go with an Asian guy. My guess is that's where the thought process is.

She ran a presentation that was both informative/uplifting, so... I don't see the problem there. Clearly she's aware and talking about the issue.

Also, I know you probably don't mean it this way, but Asian women do not "belong" to Asian men. Like, we are not "your" women. It should not matter at all who we marry.

Trust me, I understand where you're coming from. I know that there's this feeling that if Asian women don't date Asian men, who else will date Asian men? I know that many Asian women marry nonAsian men, I know that some Asian women say things that reflect that they've bought into the whole brainwashing thing, I know that some Asian feminists don't care about the plights of Asian men in the West. But... so what? Some Asian American men ARE horribly patriarchal, some do hold onto really sexist beliefs, etc. We live as second class citizens and inevitably there's going to be different ways of coping-- but the best thing imo is to unite and be one strong force. Squabbling amongst ourselves only makes us weak.

Oct 28, 2017
Ours is a fear that is always "irrational" in spite of a 2,500 year documented history of people mass murdering us. We've suffered many holocausts, not just the Nazi one. And people pretend it could never happen again. Within a decade of the Final Solution we narrowly escaped two additional holocausts, one in 1948 and another in 1953. The danger of Holocaust education as is is that people have it beaten into them that this was a one time exceptional thing and not a mere continuation of a long pattern throughout history.

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/11...ed-daughter-targeted-with-anti-semitism-acts/

Last edited:

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017

Asian girls strictly dating Asian guys ain't gonna solve Asian masculinity problems, m8.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
She ran a presentation that was both informative/uplifting, so... I don't see the problem there. Clearly she's aware and talking about the issue.

Also, I know you probably don't mean it this way, but Asian women do not "belong" to Asian men. Like, we are not "your" women. It should not matter at all who we marry.

Trust me, I understand where you're coming from. I know that there's this feeling that if Asian women don't date Asian men, who else will date Asian men? I know that many Asian women marry nonAsian men, I know that some Asian women say things that reflect that they've bought into the whole brainwashing thing, I know that some Asian feminists don't care about the plights of Asian men in the West. But... so what? Some Asian American men ARE horribly patriarchal, some do hold onto really sexist beliefs, etc. We live as second class citizens and inevitably there's going to be different ways of coping-- but the best thing imo is to unite and be one strong force. Squabbling amongst ourselves only makes us weak.

No I understand. I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just saying that that might be the thought process behind since I've come from a similar place before. I was just trying to provide an example for the "Asian activist whose life might be more whitewashed in private". Not sure if that was the best example or if I just opened up a brand new can of worms lol

Oct 28, 2017

I see this often in my community as well, although in our case a lot of it stems from existential fears (i.e. being 0.2 percent of the global population means the threat of extinction is always looming over our heads).

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

I actually brought up something similar-ish to this topic in the old forum. I pointed out Asian women's minor role in White Supremacy. It's a bit tricky to navigate and get your point across since it sounds like you're saying only Asians are allowed to date Asians, but that's not what you're trying the say.

I've definitely seen my fair shares of self hating Asian women, and they should be called out. On the other hand, your example is harder to judge. She did give a good speech, but it's also possible people are hiding behind their masks. Recent examples like Joss Weldon seems to really put this front about being a feminist, when in reality, he's anything but. Is she doing the same thing, or is she honest about what she's saying? We'll never know. Obviously we have plenty of terrible Asian men that deserves to be called out for their bullshit as well. Talking to some Chinese guys does make me understand why some girls would rather not date Chinese men. cdyhybrid is right that Asian women dating only Asian men won't solve the issue. Asian men and women attacking each other is also not the way to go about solving the issues we face in other countries.

Last edited:

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
I also think that there's a danger of pigeonholing who is really "Asian" and who is fake or part of the problem. Asian women don't have to exclusively date Asian men to be champions for Asian men and Asian people don't have to be interested in Asian entertainment and culture to champion Asian causes or be considered Asian. Now, it probably helps in terms of having deeper understanding and empathy though.

Though I am definitely guilty of being whitewashed and not knowing or caring about much of Asian entertainment or culture, which has affected my knowledge and sensitivity to Asian issues.

Keyboard

I don't know if it's just me, but it looks like ads in Asia are full of white skinned models. Is there a blatant preference for lighter color skins there in terms of beauty and social circles?

Makeup is basically designed to make skin whiter.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
No I understand. I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just saying that that might be the thought process behind since I've come from a similar place before. I was just trying to provide an example for the "Asian activist whose life might be more whitewashed in private". Not sure if that was the best example or if I just opened up a brand new can of worms lol
I'm still not sure what you're actually asking.

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
I don't know if it's just me, but it looks like ads in Asia are full of white skinned models. Is there a blatant preference for lighter color skins there in terms of beauty and social circles?

I'm pretty sure a preference for lighter skin is prevalent almost everywhere in the world. I've never experienced discrimination despite being hella dark, although I'm a guy, so maybe women have to put up with it more. I do have a friend who always says that he only likes light skin girls, and it always bothers me a bit. It's part of a list of shallow preferences that he boasts about, as if looking for really shallow traits in women is a badge of pride.

Keyboard

I'm pretty sure a preference for lighter skin is prevalent almost everywhere in the world. I've never experienced discrimination despite being hella dark, although I'm a guy, so maybe women have to put up with it more. I do have a friend who always says that he only likes light skin girls, and it always bothers me a bit. It's part of a list of shallow preferences that he boasts about, as if looking for really shallow traits in women is a badge of pride.
Would you say skin dating bias is the same thing as people looking down at others due to height or traits that a person can't choose nor control?

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
Would you say skin dating bias is the same thing as people looking down at others due to height or traits that a person can't choose nor control?

Yeah it's all connected. My friend's explanation is just that he finds lighter skin more beautiful than darker skin. I think a lot of people feel that way because of a multitude of reasons, and it can affect how they treat others. Women in particular are probably hit harder just because their worth is often wrongly tied up with their looks.

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Implying that people are being fake woke or something just because they aren't heavily into Asian culture or dating an Asian is dumb. The only thing you can do is look at individuals on a case by case basis.

Yep to all of this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Yes?

It's been like this in Asia for... literally...thousands of years. Before England was even a country.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Pale skin means wealth since poor people had to work in the field and got dark from the sun and dirt.

This has been the case centuries before Europeans even appeared in East Asia.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
funny thing, in sydney cbd a lot of the train advertising has been brought up by companies specifically targeting chinese speakers... a shitload of chinese characters on ads in the city stations these days.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
CapNBritain - HANGRYYY

ShimshonNehorai - we talk and post about everything in here. We have to follow forum rules though -- so no explicit nudity or violence unless hidden behind a link.