• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bluesteel

Oct 25, 2017
(I posted my taiwanese beef noodle soup recipe a few pages back, but I feel like if properly slow cooked, the beef become pretty tender regardless of cut).

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta get a proper piece of shank and not over boil it initially. I believe if you let it just slow cook super long, the meat should just melt.

Nov 2, 2017
I have one of those fancy rice cookers but can't be bothered to get it out. I just microwave my rice nowadays. I'm wondering how common this type of laziness is.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta get a proper piece of shank and not over boil it initially. I believe if you let it just slow cook super long, the meat should just melt.

Classically it's actually not supposed to melt in your mouth. It's supposed to be tough and chewy.

Chinese cuisine actually prefers tough and chewy meat most of the time. The whole melt in your mouth stuff is mostly done for western taste.

Things like pork belly, beef shank, ribs, stew chicken, stew duck, short ribs etc are suppose to be tough. Western style pork belly actually makes me gag cause I wasn't used to the super soft texture.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I don't think I'm ever going into OT again. Not after *that*.

The intimidation and sheer hostility to Jewish/Israeli perspectives (especially our perspective on what counts as anitsemitism) that was so prevalent on GAF's OT is now on full display here as well. I'll be happy to share my thoughts on the Middle East in this thread (or over private message), but I don't feel comfortable engaging with people who clearly don't care what I have to say anyway, or view all claims of antisemitism wrt Israel as some insidious, dirty Jewish trick to "silence criticism".

Last edited:

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Can't really melt this stuff:
B2zYPXB.jpg

Husband loves it though. He always picks cartilage and gristle off of my plates.

Your husband has good taste.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I have one of those fancy rice cookers but can't be bothered to get it out. I just microwave my rice nowadays. I'm wondering how common this type of laziness is.

i am a lazy 20-something and my skin instinctively crawls when you say you micro your rice. I barely like doing that to warm it up, let alone to cook it...

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Rice cookers are literally pour the rice in, fill it with some water, and push the switch down.

Come on now. Love yourself.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a couple of people with avatars that are definite 4chan memes, and I think may be supposed to be racist against Asians, but I'm not sure
Pics?

(sydney's) chinatown on a sunday is a bit too crowded to just stroll into restaurants, but i managed to snag some good egg tarts and dim sims from a greasy side restaurant. ace.
I'm pretty sure Emperor's Garden is on the food safety penalty register if that's the one you're talking about, haha. The cake shop is filthy inside. Don't let it discourage you though!

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/penalty-notices/default.aspx?template=detail&itemId=7250542860

Last edited:

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of rice, I've been thinking I want to do a writeup on rice for the food thing. It's a pretty broad topic, but I'll try to hit things like history, how to cook it (AHHHH DON'T MICROWAVE IT), and various rice dishes from around the world (I'm open to suggestions).

I don't know how long the writeup is supposed to be so I figure if I write too much you can chop off a section or three.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
It feel like it's Bubble tea in the Midwest (in Saint Louis it was) and then it feels like it's Boba on the coasts. At least, that's how it was for me.

I've been going back to basics lately, and been cooking rice stovetop. To be honest, Rice Cookers don't feel like they save a whole lot of time when it comes to brown rice anyways. I feel like you have more control stovetop too, more free to check in on it and see when you need to add stuff to it or remove some water.

Farooq

Oct 25, 2017
Cooking Tip: If you want add authenticity to your northern south asian dish without the hassle, use Shan Food masala. From aunties in North America to street vendors in Pakistan, Shan masalas have become a convenient staple in peoples spice rack.

Don't go on their website though, got a malware warning. That is what I get for posting like a shill. I swear I am not a shill.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I realized that I've picked up all the noises and grunts that my dad does and now I sound like an old Chinese man.

Aiya...

Deleted member 1287

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here they call the tapioca pearls boba, not the drinks themselves, I always order it as a milk tea and they ask what toppings. Boba is a bit too sweet for me, but I do like almond pudding and recently discovered I like grass jelly as well. I want to believe grass jelly is healthy. >_>

I did find this recipe ages ago and kinda wanted to see what the boba would taste like if I made it myself. http://www.thirstyfortea.com/2016/08/23/jasmine-milk-tea-with-honey-boba/

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Potater - milk pudding > almond pudding :D

Also, I'm surprised the boba is sweeter compared to almond pudding :O. Most of the places I've been to have unsweetened or mildly sweetened boba, unless you get honey boba...

Deleted member 1287

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
^ the fuck??

Potater - milk pudding > almond pudding :D

Also, I'm surprised the boba is sweeter compared to almond pudding :O. Most of the places I've been to have unsweetened or mildly sweetened boba, unless you get honey boba...

Well the last time I bothered with boba we didn't have good tea places yet so it was probably oversweetened crap.

When I get the almond pudding I usually get the drink unsweetened. Didn't know about milk pudding though... it's not available here, I'd love to try it. Almond pudding is special to me because I loved it growing up.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

As Pet said, Boba is a direct phonetic translation. Some people do call it Zhenzhu nai cha... which is translated to pearl milk tea.

To clarify, boba is okay to say in Taiwan but if you say it in China people will look at you weird because it's slang for big boobs/big balls.

It's technically "zhen zhu" which means pearls.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
As Pet said, Boba is a direct phonetic translation. Some people do call it Zhenzhu nai cha... which is translated to pearl milk tea.

To clarify, boba is okay to say in Taiwan but if you say it in China people will look at you weird because it's slang for big boobs/big balls.

It's technically "zhen zhu" which means pearls.
Ah, that makes sense, thanks! Pretty hilarious about different nomenclature in China!

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
c'st la vie y'all.

Black Friday is coming up and I got a new R11 for $160 cash. Bought it from some kid.

I... actually almost feel guilty, like I ripped him off. I remember being poor and in college.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Pet R11 laptop? Golf club? Either way you owned that guy.

But he might have the upper hand if it was the phone or refrigerant.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Septimus Prime - Chromebook R11. It's on sale BF from Costco for $199, so really I only got like a $40 discount, but still. I checked the SN and the warranty is good until 8/2018, so I figure it's pretty safe.

But yeah.

Miletius - yeah tbh it's kinda boring that white girls think we want to look white. Like, sure, there might be some who do, and yes, beauty standards are often influenced by the dominant world power, but personally, I don't find white people to be better looking or have better features, and most Asians don't, so... okay.

I have natural double eyelids, pale skin, and dark brown & black hair. I look Asian as fuck, and I love my Asian features. White chicks shouldn't flatter themselves thinking I want to look anything like them. They might as well claim they diet and get lipo to be thin like us Asian girls :)

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Small issue I want some opinions on.

I kind of feel bad for laughing at Chinese people's silly American names. Am I wrong? I mean, I've encountered people with names like Pizza Wong, Sweet Chen, and yesterday, I almost died laughing but... Feeling Dong. I know I know, dong is an American slang, and them knowing this is slim, but Feeling? Really?

I feel bad for laughing at it, like I'm somehow superior to them, but... how can I not laugh at Feeling Dong? I know a fair share of American names that will make you giggle as well. So it's not like this is a Chinese specific thing. Just that sometimes Chinese names combine with English can sound like immature sex joke. I mean, come on, Harry Wang. Americans have last names like Cockburn, so that evens out!

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I mean, have you explained to them what it means in English?

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just immature though. When I hear Dong, Johnson, Dick, etc., I'll always find it funny. I'm sorry though, lol.

Oct 28, 2017
Not like this is a new thing

What thread was it?

I was actually referring to a similar experience I had in two other OT threads. The amount of ignorance in them was unreal. I even started receiving harassment off site because I stuck my neck out and challenged it (and for that reason, I'm hesitant to point out what threads they were in particular). I abandoned the second thread early because I was exhausted (emotionally and mentally) with all of the ahistorical bile I saw in there.

Needless to say, I'm probably not going into OT again.

Last edited:

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Septimus Prime - Chromebook R11. It's on sale BF from Costco for $199, so really I only got like a $40 discount, but still. I checked the SN and the warranty is good until 8/2018, so I figure it's pretty safe.

But yeah.

Miletius - yeah tbh it's kinda boring that white girls think we want to look white. Like, sure, there might be some who do, and yes, beauty standards are often influenced by the dominant world power, but personally, I don't find white people to be better looking or have better features, and most Asians don't, so... okay.

I have natural double eyelids, pale skin, and dark brown & black hair. I look Asian as fuck, and I love my Asian features. White chicks shouldn't flatter themselves thinking I want to look anything like them. They might as well claim they diet and get lipo to be thin like us Asian girls :)

Agreed 100 percent. There is a small minority of people who do weird shit and then that gets extrapolated, and then suddenly all Asians are running around trying to look like dolls. That's why weird Japan threads are pretty much off limits for me, I get triggered by them too easy LOL.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed 100 percent. There is a small minority of people who do weird shit and then that gets extrapolated, and then suddenly all Asians are running around trying to look like dolls. That's why weird Japan threads are pretty much off limits for me, I get triggered by them too easy LOL.

"Why do anime characters look white thooooo...."

robox

Nov 10, 2017
Small issue I want some opinions on.

I kind of feel bad for laughing at Chinese people's silly American names. Am I wrong? I mean, I've encountered people with names like Pizza Wong, Sweet Chen, and yesterday, I almost died laughing but... Feeling Dong. I know I know, dong is an American slang, and them knowing this is slim, but Feeling? Really?

I feel bad for laughing at it, like I'm somehow superior to them, but... how can I not laugh at Feeling Dong? I know a fair share of American names that will make you giggle as well. So it's not like this is a Chinese specific thing. Just that sometimes Chinese names combine with English can sound like immature sex joke. I mean, come on, Harry Wang. Americans have last names like Cockburn, so that evens out!
i admire the creativity in names by non-native speakers. who the hell wants another boring ol' john wong in the world??

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal