• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"We all agree all lives matter, but I had a really poignant experience tonight when I was putting my kids down to bed that lent the words for why black lives matter," Kutcher said. "Usually Mila and I put our kids to bed, we read them a book. Our daughter always gets to go first and tonight as we were reading her book, my son says 'Wait, why don't I get to go first?' "

The 42-year-old actor explained that his wife Mila told their son it's because girls go first.

"'You know why girls go first? For you and me, girls go first and the reason why is, for some boys, girls don't get a go at all," Kutcher said to his son. "'And so for you and me, girls go first.'"

He tied the exchange with his son to the reflect the importance in saying Black Lives Matter.

"I think what folks that are writing 'All Lives Matter' need to understand is that for some people black lives don't matter at all," Kutcher said fighting back tears. "So for us, black lives matter. So, while you may have the best intentions in saying 'All Lives Matter,' remember, for some people, black lives don't matter at all."

Source: https://eu.usatoday.com/story/enter...e-against-black-lives-matter-post/3127162001/

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nice to see people comment 'I was one of those people, not anymore' - this is why this outpouring of support works.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Did he ever apologise for doing brown face that one time? I seem to recall at the time he did not apologise, but not sure if he did subsequently.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
no one is saying "all lives matter" with good intentions. who is this for?

I actually don't know about this. I agree that most do it with bad intentions or in bad faith, but there are some people who don't comment but think to themselves "Well yeah, all lives do matter. So why is that controversial?" Those quiet people that can be changed are the ones these comments like from Kutcher are reaching.

This constant explanation of why all lives matter is a bad response to black lives matter has become ubiquitous with the discussion of race, and that's only because we keep talking about it. So I welcome this video.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got into an argument with someone here about this the other day, they basically said that people from outside the US are using "All Lives Matter" without knowing the context.

My thought was that they can figure out the context and stop saying it.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
I actually don't know about this. I agree that most do it with bad intentions or in bad faith, but there are some people who don't comment but think to themselves "Well yeah, all lives do matter. So why is that controversial?" Those quiet people that can be changed are the ones these comments like from Kutcher are reaching.

This constant explanation of why all lives matter is a bad response to black lives matter has become ubiquitous with the discussion of race, and that's only because we keep talking about it. So I welcome this video.

Include me on that. First time I saw it I thought "Yes. Why is this controversial?".
It took me a second look to understand the context, and how its use was full of bad intentions.

Oct 26, 2017

sounds like Kutcher should make a podcast. "why black lives matter and other obvious shit i have to explain to my children and 'good' white people who somehow just don't get it still in 2020"

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has to be explained over and over and over, it's pretty frustrating and I'm pretty much convinced that only willfully ignorant/racist people are still spouting it.

The follow up is always black people killing black people(All races kill their own races more then other races) and white people get shot by the police more(Despite Black people making up 13% of the country and white people making up over 50%).

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
Ignorant people? Who knows though what the percentage of genuinely good, ignorant people actually is but I think it's horribly pessimistic to think 100% of everyone who says All Lives Matter is an actual irredeemable racist.

I think ignorant people or folks that hasn't spent the time rubbing a couple of brain cells on the topic. I had an experience with a good friend of mine while we were both studying philosophy as undergrads.

When the whole thing blew up back in 2015-2016, he had an argument with a mutual friend of ours, she was arguing why #BLM matters, he (not a dumb guy mind you) didn't understand why this isn't a case of all lives matter.

I had to ask him about his privilege, compared to the treatment that black men get in comparison to himself from police and other instutions. He took some time to mull on it, and eventually was able to recognize why #BLM is a means of highlighting systemic racism towards black folks.

He's legitimately a good dude, but he needed to be put on task to actually think about the situation contextually to finally understand why #BLK is an important movement for civil rights.

Which I can see how some people just doesn't know why #all lives matter tone deaf as a response.

Deleted member 58401

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
People do say it with good intentions. They just don't know how to read without putting themselves into the center of the sentence. So, they hear, "Hey white person, black lives matter!" And they think, "But doesn't mine?"

But they all do that out of the privilege of always have been at the center of everything. And this is why we have to keep explaining this. Over and over and over and over. Even when you doubt their intentions.

I think some people are smart enough to see their privilege, and I think you have to disassemble it through repetition of the obvious for others.

Nov 2, 2017
It may seem simple to us, but there are plenty of uninformed people who need these sorts of explanations.

Sure, MOST people going out there and screaming "all lives matter" are racist fucks. But the ones who don't pay as much attention as they should definitely need this kinda thing

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Some people live in a racist bubble. In their bubble they're fighting some sort of bogeyman that is taking away their voice in this world. We see it for exactly what it is when they post all lives matter. In their heads they're doing the right thing. They need people to reach out to them and unteach hate. Hate is very powerful when it grabs you.

Others know exactly what they're doing when they post All Lives Matter.

Both of these instances exist and both need help from spewing hate.

Racism with or without intent.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Doesnt make someone an idiot for not quite understanding things.
Not all "all lives matter" people are racists, I understand why people see it and go.. "isnt that better? Why do X matter more?". Educate them, dont just assume they are racist and get your hate on. Being an asshole doesnt help anyone.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
It may seem simple to us, but there are plenty of uninformed people who need these sorts of explanations.

Sure, MOST people going out there and screaming "all lives matter" are racist fucks. But the ones who don't pay as much attention as they should definitely need this kinda thing
Yeah, I mean... the warning to not eat the frozen pizza as-is on the box is there for those kinds of people.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
We know that. This is for the people who say it with "good intentions".

Who does that? Given how long BLM has been around there is no way those people have never heard the simple refutation to "all lives matter." They have - they just don't accept it and they continue to imply saying "black lives matter" is equivalent to saying "only black lives matter." There are no good intentions. Those people are racist trash.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I dont wanna derail because Im glad the word is getting out but I dont think I was ready for aged Ashton Kutcher

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis conveying a message of "Girls go first" to their children in relation to why "All lives matter" is racist tripe would be really poignant if it weren't for the fact these two have firmly stood by Danny Masterson who has infamously been under investigation for multiple rapes, they were partying with him at a wedding just last summer:

www.mercurynews.com

Ashton Kutcher criticized for partying with rape suspect Danny Masterson at Napa Valley wedding

One of Danny Masterson’s accusers said she was “heartbroken” that self-described #MeToo supporter Ashton Kutcher has stayed friends with his former co-star.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Include me on that. First time I saw it I thought "Yes. Why is this controversial?".
It took me a second look to understand the context, and how its use was full of bad intentions.

Well there you go. Understandable.

sounds like Kutcher should make a podcast. "why black lives matter and other obvious shit i have to explain to my children and 'good' white people who somehow just don't get it still in 2020"

Um...sure? I don't quite understand your point with this post. If you're saying "this shit doesn't need to be explained" then I don't know what to tell you, because for many people it does.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017

based on my own anecdotal experience? the same boomers who get fooled by obviously fake news all the time. some of them live in a coddled bubble, only seeing information about the movement through the prism of social media and never interacting with the human beings surrounding the movement.

I would not be surprised if most of the people saying "all lives matter" are racist cunts who know exactly what they are doing, I'm just not convinced it is all of them.

btw I've long had a disdain for Ashton Kutcher but I do appreciate that someone like him is voicing support right now because I suspect he has a lot of conservatives in his fanbase. those people are the most in need of hearing that stuff.

Last edited:

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
We have people in this thread admitting that they used to not know why "All lives matter" was controversial, or that they knew people who still don't know why it's controversial.

So yes, while a lot of the people who shout it do so to shut black people up and perpetuate racism, I'm still happy if some of the people who genuinely don't know how disrespectful and condescending that phrase is learn why it's a horrible phrase. I'm all for white people educating other white people instead of it being the black person's burden to do so.

Deleted member 58401

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Who does that? Given how long BLM has been around there is no way those people have never heard the simple refutation to "all lives matter." They have - they just don't accept it and they continue to imply saying "black lives matter" is equivalent to saying "only black lives matter." There are no good intentions. Those people are racist trash.
Even if that is your view, it's a naive and hateful one. I have never seen a movement toward justice for all succeed by being exclusionary. People who are walled off by resentment are terrible opponents of hatred. You lose nothing by repeatedly teaching an idiot. You lose a lot when you don't let them into your planned utopia.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Some people live in a racist bubble. In their bubble they're fighting some sort of bogeyman that is taking away their voice in this world. We see it for exactly what it is when they post all lives matter. In their heads they're doing the right thing. They need people to reach out to them and unteach hate. Hate is very powerful when it grabs you.

Others know exactly what they're doing when they post All Lives Matter.

Both of these instances exist and both need help from spewing hate.

Racism with or without intent.
I was listening to NPR callers last night.

Some white people out there actually believe that black people will hurt them and their fellow white people if their pain and anger is fully acknowledged.

They believe there is some retribution/reckoning and that they will be attacked. They call on black people to address black racists.

I was both shocked and awed.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Even if that is your view, it's a naive and hateful one. I have never seen a movement toward justice for all succeed by being exclusionary. People who are walled off by resentment are terrible opponents of hatred. You lose nothing by repeatedly teaching an idiot. You lose a lot when you don't let them into your planned utopia.

Yes it is hateful, I'm proud of that and it's hateful for a very good fucking reason. If it were up to me I'd Thanos-snap every racist, white supremacist, nazi and fascist from this planet and not think twice before doing it.

What's really naive is continuing to give these people the benefit of the doubt, as if "black lives matter" is a slogan that just came into existence and these "all lives matter" fuckers haven't heard the explanation as to why it's problematic.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I've encountered and talked to multiple people in real life recently who didn't understand why All Lives Matter is offensive. In most cases, they are just plain ignorant. There are definitely multiple types of ignorant, those because it's convenient to them, those who aren't and pretend to be, and those who just live in a bubble and don't know what we already know. In many cases, just having a calm and civil 20 minute conversation got through to them. Don't think of someone as a lost cause until you actually try to change them. If they're hostel and won't listen to reason, that's different, but if you actually know the person, that typically won't happen. Most people will typically just match whatever candor you approach this situation with, it's easier than you think. When you blow them off and get angry, of course it's not going to go well. I've had it multiple times over the past couple of days with all of this being on the forefront. I really like what he's doing here. I think he has the reach and the demographic to actually get through to a lot of people who just wouldn't listen otherwise.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
All Lives Matter is obviously based around a racist dog whistle.

Though, I honestly think that there are alot of white guys out there with a kind of victim complex. Instead of hearing stuff like BlackLivesMatter and BelieveWoman, they instead hear WhiteLivesDontMatter and DontBelieveMen. Like they take all criticism that could potentially apply to them, take it as a personal attack and become incredibly defensive. I think trying to hammer home the meaning of BLM could actually do a bit of good for these sorts of people.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL

I've had to explain it a few times to people, and I always have to explain it as "Yes all lives matter, but black lives have to matter first before all lives can matter" and people tend to understand it more and join the cause.

A lot of people truly don't understand. It doesn't matter how long it has been. It's been really easy to not follow, especially when it HAS been drowned by actual racists out there. They are REALLY seeing now for the first time thanks to the protests and riots and they see it as x is better than x, and you have to calmly explain it to them to get it, and a lot of them do get it.

But so many people(just look at this thread) jump straight to shouting racist, instead of explaining it and giving a real chance to understand. You explain it, and they still refuse to comply and be a supporter? Go right ahead. But people truly are ignorant and have never had it explained.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The american people are really fucking ignorant about a lot of things, I guarantee you many of them have no clue what the BLM/ALM dynamic actually represents

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
This is a really good explanation, very clearly worded and makes perfect sense.

I must admit, it wasn't until somewhat recently that I understood why some groups need to be lifted up more than others.
I thought "why not just lift everyone up the same".

Its because if the scales are tipped against something, the only way to equalize it is to add more weight to one side.
#blacklivesmatter

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
You'd think there would be introspection if your opinion on minorities keeps aligning with white supremacists. Time and time again.

People are sick of that constant alignment. Especially when it can't be any clearer what the point of discussion is.

I know liberals who have said all lives matter. Its so damned weird.

Its racist. But folks don't realize it. That is the case for mannny people . Which again is odd due to the guy in the KKK saying the same thing with hate in his eyebrows.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Many people abroad don't even know why BLM is an actual thing, so they also think saying ALM is actually something positive. Education can go a long way for many

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a really good explanation, very clearly worded and makes perfect sense.

I must admit, it wasn't until somewhat recently that I understood why some groups need to be lifted up more than others.
I thought "why not just lift everyone up the same".

Its because if the scales are tipped against something, the only way to equalize it is to add more weight to one side.
#blacklivesmatter

Oct 31, 2017
no one ever said "all lives matter" before black lives matter

it has always been a way to shut people up about injustice to black Americans and nothing other than that.

at some point, you guys have to stop making excuses for racists

I'm just glad a white man is doing the work to educate other white people rather than someone black using their energy against these brick walls who have already had this explained to them for years though various cute web comics and every other avenue

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Many people abroad don't even know why BLM is an actual thing, so they also think saying ALM is actually something positive. Education can go a long way for many
This. Why can't a lot of posters here get this? My family in Guatemala ain't exactly up to speed to what's going on because they have their worries (number 1 being they're poor as fuck so they can't even access the internet all that much) but me and my sister have explained it to them in the way how us Americans see it. My grandma said "ALM" but in Spanish because she's a religious lady but has no hatred in her body. It's hard to change her mind but you have to find ways of explaining it in a way they get it; and if they're truly good people they will eventually understand. I am willing to talk to people and see what their intentions are, and while mostly a lot who use this phrase in America are racists piece of shits deep down, not all are especially those not familiar with the situation here in the states.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

For any geeks that don't get it...

TjQQQy9.png

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is great for people who are just unaware. Some say it with good intentions, not knowing what it's like from a black person perspective.

You have to understand that sometimes, white people that don't get it are around dumb white family/friends and think it's okay and are never taught or educated the right way on this issue.

I get his point of view and I think we need more of this to educate white folk.