• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
This is odd to me. I had no trouble at all with this boss. Yes, I play Souls games, but I beat this boss without needing to use more than one healing item. Perhaps it's because I've been doing side missions that give health and stamina rewards.
Finally did it, and after a lot of exploring lost 20k souls, due in no small part to my companion disappearing after we encountered a group of enemies. Fuck off.

I don't mind a challenge but if you've got punishing mechanics then you have to make sure the game works properly. Shelfing this one.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
Holy shit. The Seat of the Matriarch dungeon is absolutely insane. Am I missing something? I made it pretty far in--just past that big bridge-like structure with four separate side areas with the big guys. And then I died. Is there a shortcut somewhere that I missed? Seems like it's gonna be very tough to beat that dungeon.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Holy shit. The Seat of the Matriarch dungeon is absolutely insane. Am I missing something? I made it pretty far in--just past that big bridge-like structure with four separate side areas with the big guys. And then I died. Is there a shortcut somewhere that I missed? Seems like it's gonna be very tough to beat that dungeon.
I would like to know that too. Got as far as you but haven't even remotly got so far again. This dungeon is just bad. I will probably stop the game at gmthis point. No way I will make it through this part of the game.

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm up to there as well, my AI follower always just GTFO's before that area where all the Skeletons are. Not sure if that's a glitch or not. I can run all the way through i guess. I would like to know a shortcut too.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Finally completed the Matriarch dungeon. Her last hit left me with literally 1hp, I just ran in and yolo. What a rush!! :D

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
FINALLY bested the Seat of the Matriarch. Or, at least, I made it to the Ritual Stone at the bottom. This reminds me of Blighttown in so many ways, just harder. This is one of the toughest challenges I've run up against in games. My heart was pounding out of my chest. Pretty impressed. And gratified.

Deleted member 16849

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beat the Matriarch! Holy fuck getting there was tense as anything and haven't had that feeling in years. What a Dark Souls moment!

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I have some questions. What's the settlement and the quests you're given actually like? While the quests in Souls tend to be convoluted I really like how open-ended they also tend to be. Are the characters in this game always killable actors who have their own story that goes on whether the player interferes or not like Souls or are they the kind of invulnerable NPCs who sit behind desks and ask you to fetch shit?

And can I customize the HUD? What are those options like, if any?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The Seat of the Matriarch was incredible. I stumbled into it with another player and ran through the whole things with them but fell to the boss. I got her on the second attempt with someone else though. What a rush!

The sound design as you creep through the dungeon while staying close to your partner's lantern... just amazing.

I have some questions. What's the settlement and the quests you're given actually like? While the quests in Souls tend to be convoluted I really like how open-ended they also tend to be. Are the characters in this game always killable actors who have their own story that goes on whether the player interferes or not like Souls or are they the kind of invulnerable NPCs who sit behind desks and ask you to fetch shit?

And can I customize the HUD? What are those options like, if any?

Quests are usually focused on finding or killing thing/person X.

Can't kill NPCs. Their quests, from my experience so far, will wait for you to complete them. The whole point to the multiplayer not showing the actual player (instead they are dressed as the quest giver in most cases) is to make your town feel more active though.

No HUD options which is a big bummer for screenshots.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Just beat the piss out of Amiren. What's a good one handed weapon to invest in? I've upgraded the fanged axe a few times but I see the Forgone axe has a high critical rate.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
Are there any optional characters to recruit in the world? In the Featherlands now and it occurred to me that I haven't found a new recruit in awhile. Are there optional folks out there I may be missing? I was hoping this town would get much bigger.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Soundtrack to release early next year.

Relics in general I'm confused by. I went for the one that gives you wings, because who doesn't want wings - and the stats were neat too, extra scoria, or reflecting damage. The problem is... I can't seem to figure out how to get the wings to grow? The game says they can grow and that will change their funciton, but I've never seen them change from how they initially appear.

Ever figure this out? I also haven't been able to get them to "sprout" for the reflection bonus.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest problem with SotM isn't that it is lengthy or challenging, it lacks variety.

I even found something like Sen's fortress or DS3 catacombs enjoyable. Between combat, they also had traps / shortcuts / environmental obstacles. Whereas Ashen just threw enemies after enemies at you.

I think I'm at the penultimate area in the game, spear enemies are boring to fight and extremely annoying.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Ever figure this out? I also haven't been able to get them to "sprout" for the reflection bonus.

So, I'm kind of guessing here - but it's either based on time you have it equipped, or where you are at in the story. My thought is that it's where you are at in the story to be honest. I say this because the wings never seemed to fill in despite playing for hours doing sidequests, but then once I moved on past the Palace they were noticeably fuller, and then again after the Gnaw.

It might just be that I played for X number of hours and so they were now fully grown, but I think it being tied to story progress is more likely given my experience.

Also, while they look cool when fully grown, I never really felt the damage reflection. I'm sure it was there, it just never seemed like it. Felt a lot more effective using the 3 stage damage absorption relic, or the other starting one that stacks bonus damage as long as you are not hit.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the last boss. Is there no save point right before it? Do I have to walk back all the way from Vagrant's Rest if I die?

EDIT: boss defeated. They should have put a save point before the boss. The run back is not long but the enemies are quite annoying.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm kind of guessing here - but it's either based on time you have it equipped, or where you are at in the story. My thought is that it's where you are at in the story to be honest. I say this because the wings never seemed to fill in despite playing for hours doing sidequests, but then once I moved on past the Palace they were noticeably fuller, and then again after the Gnaw.

It might just be that I played for X number of hours and so they were now fully grown, but I think it being tied to story progress is more likely given my experience.

Also, while they look cool when fully grown, I never really felt the damage reflection. I'm sure it was there, it just never seemed like it. Felt a lot more effective using the 3 stage damage absorption relic, or the other starting one that stacks bonus damage as long as you are not hit.

Well if it doesn't work out the bonus currency will hopefully have made the wings pay for themselves.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Use cheats mang. I just wanted to be done with it because I spent too much time at the pentultimate boss wondering why it became so difficult, where I eventually went back thru the entire dungeon to do the necessary upgrades because it's unbeatable otherwise.

I've already uninstalled the game and moved on, but I can perhaps be persuaded to reinstall- what do you mean cheats and upgrades? I did every side quest up until that point, and most of the NPC journeys are "complete." The first form wasn't too difficult from a mechanics perspective, but she hits like a fucking truck, so every misstep is a huge impediment to my ability to fight the second boss. She also does a fuckload of stamina damage, so even with one of the heavier shields, I can't survive her three hit combo without taking a good 40% of my health bar in damage.

By the time I beat her and get to the second form, I've already eaten through enough of my gourd swigs that the second form becomes hard to recover from. The second form is also hard enough that I need as much of those resources as possible, and on top of that, the run to the boss room + the length of time it takes to beat the first form means there's a good ten to fifteen minutes between each attempt I can make on the second form, and that's simply not worth the frustration. It disrespects the player's time in a way that people accuse Soulsborne of doing, though I don't actually believe those games ever do. Ashen, however, commits this design sin in a few sections, and this particular example is definitely the most egregious. It's annoying and demoralizing in a way that a game, even a challenging one, shouldn't be. I'm old enough that I don't need to be wasting time hitting my head against a wall like this. It's unfair and shitty. I got twenty good hours out of the game (okay, fifteen good hours and five frustrating ones), and if I don't get the achievement for beating the final boss, I'll be fine.

Ashen is a game that takes the Soulsborne mechanics and drastically simplifies them. There's definitely room in the market for that sort of product, and this game's success (and my enjoyment of it, for the most part) is definitely testament to that. However, in simplifying the Souls formula, they keep certain things, and lose certain things in a way that creates imbalance in the game's difficulty and pacing. In Souls, no matter what, I'm always going to be able to find a different way to tackle a boss or section. Between different specs, magic systems, and gear, Soulsborne offers you a massive variety of ways to even the odds. By eliminating a lot of the periphery and minutia, Ashen loses that "Swiss Army Knife" approach, and so the moments of the game a player like myself might find particularly hard to overcome only have so many options with which to overcome it, and if none of those options are working for the player, they're simply shit out of luck.

Last edited:

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017

I believe the full wings sprout once you hit a certain point of the story. But I think Gefn's Blessing is still better than damage reflection.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How does playing co-op with a friend work in this game? Is it a convoluted process? If so, is it even worth it?

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
I believe the full wings sprout once you hit a certain point of the story. But I think Gefn's Blessing is still better than damage reflection.

Yeah that makes sense. Honestly, I thought they were fine to use mid game as the extra scoria was nice to have. I never really felt a huge strain on my scoria supply - and only made a few runs specifically to farm out stuff, which having the wings did seem like a big help.

Once it transition to damage reflection, everything is hitting so hard that you really _don't_ want to be hit, and having a 100% damage absorption was huge later on. I also really like the one of the other first relics you get, which casts out 5 damaging orbs - that made some encounters much more manageable. As you'd get them ALMOST dead, but not all the way - so having that little bit of extra damage was perfect.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I don't usually say this but the last two bosses are pure grade A Bullshit beyond belief. So the Labyrnth with the Shadow of Ashen is just goddamn. The first form is fine, and ok to deal with, but then the second form when it powers up, and then the adds come in. Not one or two or three. Nope five or six, and they keep respawning. Without the AI help I get smashed to bits.

The last boss... is okay, but then rather than dying it pretends to die, and goes into second form again. Which is fine, but if you die you have to go through a lot of pre-boss enemies making the entire thing tedious. I might just watch the ending on youtube at this point.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A collection of Ashen my screenshots

32595258308_42b3a213d1_o.png
44620210390_e1e883751c_o.jpg
45527992425_499fbd53dc_o.jpg
45753693574_b1ac19dabc_o.jpg
31501222217_cb70e038be_o.jpg
45568848085_6a5dd0ef6b_o.jpg
46430868862_2024ec19d3_o.jpg
45753693844_6d9abf8cb9_o.jpg

45528003455_7b7222ee01_o.png
44670450410_950a764186_o.jpg

45765521544_7c8ac7cd2e_o.png

31547643887_b1bebc6764_o.jpg
31547644107_7380bb5a90_o.jpg

Last edited:

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I tried playing in coop with a friend and it never seemed to work (on Xbox). Eventually I gave up and played solo with an AI partner or randomly matched with other players.
Welp there goes most of my interest, what a shame. Thanks for letting me know. Maybe I'll still try after I beat Hellblade.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the last boss now, and what a joy this game has been. There are lots of ways the game could be improved, but the core feeling of Souls is there. Awesome debut game for the studio.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaah that has to it, foolish me, haha.

Also, how do you cross rivers? You can barely last a few seconds in the water and you drown. So now to get back to the camp I go over the rocks but I should be able to cross water?

You can't cross deep water. There are alternative paths around them such as climbing the rocks under the waterfall by your town.

Deleted member 16849

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: I have now beat the game.

I'm at the last boss too and fuck the lack of checkpoint before it. I can get up to the second form easy enough. I like Ashen but it is no way a perfect game, i will dot point my issues with it.
  • Why does every treasure pick up in the in game world come from a skeleton corpse? Eg. No treasure chests or variety.
  • Essentially only 2 melee weapon types (Axe and Club), if you want to cheat you can say it has 4 if you use the 2 Handed Axes and Clubs. Seriously no Swords, Greatswords, proper Polearms, Staffs, daggers, claws, whips or fist weapons? Nope just 2 weapon types! Image if Monster Hunter only had 2 weapon types, imagine if Duke Nukem 3D only gave you a pistol and a shotgun.
  • Only 1 range weapon with spears. No bows, no crossbows
  • No interconnecting world. Sure you can say this is like Demon's Souls 'worlds' and but the world of Ashen just feels linear as you are just going from zone to zone.
  • No traps or danger outside enemies. Your biggest danger outside monsters is Water!
  • No proper secrets, sure there are ledge drop and climbs and the odd item hidden around some corner but i'm talking false walls, NPC secrets and all that jazz
  • Poor itemization. Almost every item pickup i have gotten has been just Sapient Moss's or Roots seriously fuck off already! Every merchant NPC sells the exactly same thing.
  • Character customization is very lacking, i can't strengthen armour or shields, the relic and talisman system is very basic. Quest and Ashen Feathers only augment your Health and Stamina. The appearance of you character is lacking in options.
  • Small enemy variety than i would have liked but i do appreciate that almost any bad encounter can potentially fuck you up if you are not careful
  • Can't drop down from a ledge and attack (so many times this frustrated me)
  • Crafting system is poor. Basically just involves you augmenting your weapons with better stats with the many Sapient crap you find and nothing else. Can't create armour, weapons, can't increase the crit or stuns, literally just a damage stat boost.
  • Dumb A.I and pathfinding.
  • Can't equip your lantern to your waist even though your AI companion does it sometimes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game. I really enjoyed everything but I really wish there was a little something more to the end. Be it a final dungeon or even some slides to tidy up the narrative for your settlement.

Having a short scene of the player becoming the new guardian and a cut to black just seemed a bit too light for me. With so much of the game about cooperation and your townsfolk I would have loved to see more of that play into the final moments.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
The objectively best youtube longform critique duder Joseph Anderson put out a review, not longform though.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game. I really enjoyed everything but I really wish there was a little something more to the end. Be it a final dungeon or even some slides to tidy up the narrative for your settlement.

Having a short scene of the player becoming the new guardian and a cut to black just seemed a bit too light for me. With so much of the game about cooperation and your townsfolk I would have loved to see more of that play into the final moments.
Having a lackluster ending is the true Dark Souls experience, though.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've put about eight hours into Ashen so far and I'm extremely impressed. This is the best Soulsliike game I've played from a developer other than FROM Software. The core DNA is there, but it adds enough new stuff to make it feel fresh. Easily one of the best games of 2018.

Also, I think this game is a really good jumping off point for players interested in Souls, but intimidated with the difficulty and lack of exploration guidance. Ashen is a very difficult game, but having a map, clearly laid-out quests, and waypoints is something that should make the game more approachable for a broader audience.

Very happy I decided to give Ashen a chance and I really hope this studio is given a bigger budget and strong publisher support to put out a greatly expanded sequel next generation.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamnit stupid AI.

Don't design a game around AI companions that roll off ledges and leave you alone to die in a dungeon.

That out of the way I like this game a lot.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
JFC I'm so done with this game until they patch the AI. It's impossible to keep them alive in the seat of the matriarch. They either fall off a ledge or just vanish then another never shows up. Fuck that place.

Status
Not open for further replies.