• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enordash

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
So judging by their Twitter, I'm guessing the PC multiplayer has not been fixed yet? I'm going to be finished with this game before I'm ever able to play with my friend (who I talked into getting the game on the back of online co-op). We're both still enjoying the game. It's just unfortunate.

NovaXz

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
New York, New York
Anyone have any tips/advice for taking down the Shadow of the Ashen? I've tried taking him down numerous times but that second phase keeps knocking me out.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I am getting regular freezes, after which I am booted back to the Xbox dashboard. Anyone else stuffer from this? Very annoying. Happened three timed in the span of an hour anf a half. (On Xbox One X)

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
I finally entered Seat of the Matriarch. Things were going pretty well at first, to the point where the dreaded dungeon didn't seem that challenging after all. And then I found myself
surrounded by a LOT of big hammer guys and several Ukkotos
and yeah, ok, it's hard.

So judging by their Twitter, I'm guessing the PC multiplayer has not been fixed yet? I'm going to be finished with this game before I'm ever able to play with my friend (who I talked into getting the game on the back of online co-op). We're both still enjoying the game. It's just unfortunate.
I don't think it has been fixed, no. I'm pretty sure I crossed path with a few players on the day following release, but no one since then.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Sorry if this gets asked a lot — is there any estimate or hint on how long it's a timed exclusive? I've had my eye on this since seeing gifs of it on /v/ like three years ago.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Like a few suggested here a few days ago,I went and looked at my ''recent players'' list on XBox last night after playing for 90 minutes and at least 50 people joined my game...wow,thank god one of them stuck around for a while lol...I think the nav bar at the top flashes orange when a person joins.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
I might be misremembering because I just used Gefn's Blessing after getting it, but I'm pretty sure Guardians Pact is
atop the tower in the fourth area with the giant whale dragon on it. In the whale dragon's nest there's a guy who gives it to you.

No problem
Welp, I just unlocked it after beating that boss, lol

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting on that PC multiplayer patch devs. Sure would be nice if you had like a dedicated community hub to find easy updates and possible workarounds.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the same situation, just had jokell despawn arbitrarily again on that area with all the platforms with the big leapy enemies. I can make progress by spamming javelins, got 5 down myself, but then two aggroed at once and I got blasted. woof!
there's a lot to love here, but losing the companion that the game seems to be balanced around and being forced to do the whole dungeon over is a little on the wrong side of rough for me

Exactly what is happening to me, and how I feel too. I really like the game, but arbitrarily losing my companion sucks. Think I'm gonna hold off until maybe a patch dealing with this happens

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Got past SOTM boss and a little ways into the next area. The way your town keeps growing is great.

Also, the thing that happens after beating that boss is pretty neat too. Now I need to climb that giant tower and meet free willy.
Wow so SotM is hardcore.
I think it's the first real hurdle in the game.

However, once you do it a few times you kind of realize how short it is.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got past SOTM boss and a little ways into the next area. The way your town keeps growing is great.

Also, the thing that happens after beating that boss is pretty neat too. Now I need to climb that giant tower and meet free willy.

I think it's the first real hurdle in the game.

However, once you do it a few times you kind of realize how short it is.
Yeah I went back to Vagrant's Rest after finding the boss room (gotta cash that $ before I go dying in a boss fight) but it only took me 10 minutes to get back down the 2nd time. 1st time you're like inching a toe into a room to see if something goes bump in the night but the second time you know where/when you can run through at top speed.

I loved SotM though. It was a masterclass in devilishly delicious level design.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I went back to Vagrant's Rest after finding the boss room (gotta cash that $ before I go dying in a boss fight) but it only took me 10 minutes to get back down the 2nd time. 1st time you're like inching a toe into a room to see if something goes bump in the night but the second time you know where/when you can run through at top speed.

I loved SotM though. It was a masterclass in devilishly delicious level design.
Heck yeah! First time me and rando with a stick buddy took it so slow but we surivied. Second and thirs times was old hat and you really only had to stop at the bridge and a little ways after because all those crawlers would come at you.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
As someone with a very spotty record with getting into Souls-likes (I fell hard into Hollow Knight but totally bounced off of DS1, DS2 and The Surge) how bad are the bonfire-to-boss runs in this game? That's usually what kills it for me

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I suck at this game. It's pretty fun though. I'm going to keep on going until I run into something I cannot get past.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
As someone with a very spotty record with getting into Souls-likes (I fell hard into Hollow Knight but totally bounced off of DS1, DS2 and The Surge) how bad are the bonfire-to-boss runs in this game? That's usually what kills it for me
All the bosses have a bonfire pretty much right near them without any/many enemies. Strangely enough it's the last boss that has the longest run back.

Exactly what is happening to me, and how I feel too. I really like the game, but arbitrarily losing my companion sucks. Think I'm gonna hold off until maybe a patch dealing with this happens
Take note of where in the dungeon you think your partner is despawning, and pay close attention to them in that area. Follow them, they may not actually be despawning. See my earlier post in this thread:
So I finally beat Seat of the Matriarch, and have a pretty crazy story about what happened.

So I had gotten to that room with the second soup bowl - the room with all of the little skeletons and one big dude, right before "the bridge." This was the part where numerous times the AI companion would seemingly disappear, and so this time I made sure to keep an eye on him. So as I rounded the corner to start heading toward the bridge, I noticed the AI companion turning around and running back up the stairs that we had initially come down to get to this room. So I follow him up there and he walks right off the side. While initially frustrated that he killed himself, I noticed that his health bar was still visible on screen. So sure enough, when I peered down over the edge, there he was, standing on solid ground. I jump down behind him and we end up behind the shadow guy who charges you and does the "pinning attack". We kill him and move on to the bridge.

After the bridge, at the bottom of that tower where you get swarmed by a bunch of elder darks and a big dude, a very similar thing happened. The AI companion walked off the edge and sure enough, his health bar didn't disappear because he landed on a lower level. I follow him down there and after a few tense fights than involved him both dying/vanishing and eventually coming back right when I needed him, we eventually made it to the checkpoint, and then the boss.

So TL;DR, it looks like there's something weird going on with the pathing of the AI companion where for some reason they decide that the correct way to get from point A to point B is to take some of these "shortcuts" by falling from one level to the next. I have a few theories as to why I and some others saw the AI companion "disappearing" in this section:
- The AI companion tries to make the fall, they miss and fall of the edge, and die
- They attempt the fall without enough HP to account for the fall damage
- There's some check on the distance between the player and the AI companion, and if the companion makes the fall and the player keeps going down the intended path, that check gets tripped and despawns the companion

Last edited:

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I unlocked the final map area but I don't want this game to end. 😭

Anyone know if the OST is available for purchase yet? I asked A44 on twitter but no response yet.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I unlocked the final map area but I don't want this game to end. 😭

Anyone know if the OST is available for purchase yet? I asked A44 on twitter but no response yet.
I felt that same way.

I think my one real complaint with the game is that the world feels small. Not even the world space, because the world space is fine. But like I don't really get the sense that there's anything beyond what I explored in the game. No other cities, no other cultures, no other deities. It's all kind of compartmentalized to the things you directly or indirectly encounter and their relevant histories. Even a lot of the item descriptions that sound like they're referencing parts of the world beyond are actually mostly describing things that you'll eventually encounter. I'm eager to find out more about this world and explore more of it. Here's hoping they do well enough to merit a sequel!

Strangely enough it's the last boss that has the longest run back.
Okay so I'm not weird for noticing that too. Cool. And, frustratingly, that was the only boss I ever had to run back to because I beat all the other ones first try lol.

Sorry if already answered somewhere: Can I play the game completely in coop mode with a friend?
On Xbox, potentially. It's a little esoteric but it should be possible. Currently on PC there's a bug preventing any sort of coop though.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Anyone able to get their PlayStation controller to be recognized in the game?

On PC here and no luck :( tried the mouse and keyboard but i've played the Souls games on consoles so just does not feel right

I know this post is old, but if you add the game as a non steam game you get their (steam's) nice controller configuration API. You can then use any controller you want and actually change configurations of it.

Raybunzy

Oct 26, 2017
For people who already finished the game:
Reached the checkpoint in the palace. So I suppose the boss battle "Shadow of Ashen" is next on the list. Meanwhile got a quest that is on a map that I havent unlocked. Making me think that Shadow of Ashen is not the final battle and that locked zone is only accessible after this battle.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
For people who already finished the game:
Reached the checkpoint in the palace. So I suppose the boss battle "Shadow of Ashen" is next on the list. Meanwhile got a quest that is on a map that I havent unlocked. Making me think that Shadow of Ashen is not the final battle and that locked zone is only accessible after this battle.
Correct.

Playing it through Game Pass, I'm in love with the world.

Second dungeon however is really brutal.
It only gets more difficult going forward. You've got this!

Oct 28, 2017
So I just started playing. Is the multiplayer similar to Journey where people will drop in and out without you knowing who they are?

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
The area after the second boss is such a game changer. Especially those guys who slam on you with pinpoint accuracy.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
I'm really struggling to wrap my head around this beckoning and having a partner with you stuff.

Sometimes I'll have a companion with me, then they'll just disappear. I beckon them, nothing happens.

How does it work?

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really struggling to wrap my head around this beckoning and having a partner with you stuff.

Sometimes I'll have a companion with me, then they'll just disappear. I beckon them, nothing happens.

How does it work?

Most likely it was a real person and not your AI companion. AI companions stay pretty much by your side, unless their path finding gets wonky. The easiest way I've found to get a feel for how AI behaves so it's easier to spot a human player is to turn off the Multiplayer so the game is forced to load in an AI partner instead. Then do vice versa. Also, when I get grouped up with someoen and I'm not sure I'll usually try beckoning, randomly jumping, and spinning in circles to clearly show I'm not AI - and almost all other human players I've ran into have done the same.

What can also happen is the game will despawn your AI partner when it has found a human to partner you with, and sometimes the human partner will despawn because they got too far away, or used fast travel/recall stone to go back to the home base - and then the game will try to populate in another AI or Human player.

For me, I've found it best to use the settings menu to pick and choose what kind of companion I want, and turn off the other so there is less of the phasing in and out. Either always an AI that follows me but sometimes gets stuck, or alway a Human (if available). You get less of the drops, and depending on the situation, the companion can be more reliable.

As an example, I forced the Human companion to help run through the Seat of the Matriach dungeon. It was slow going, but sometimes you'd get partnered with someone who had run sections of it before so they could show you the tricks - where things were hidden - and how to tackle encounters. Then when i got to the boss I kept getting grouped with people who would recall out of the boss encounter when they were dying. (either it was the first time, or they didn't want to loose the scoria, or something). So I switched over to an AI companion, and after a couple more tries for me to learn the patterns, we were able to defeat it.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game finally clicked with me after the first dungeon/boss, so I'm still fairly early on. I wanedered into a cave and got jumped by a giant crab looking thing that kinda looked the Pokemon Parasect and narrowly escaped.

I will say that the difficulty seems uneven, and the first boss was... bad. But maybe I was doing it wrong? I've heard some troubling things about difficulty spikes and some horseshit bosses, but we'll see. Where I'm at, fairly early on, it feels good to explore and fight. I've noticed enemies seem to respawn even before I rest at a ritual stone, though, specifically the enemies in Vagrant's Rest before you properly establish the town. What determines that? it was pretty annoying to get jumped by enemies when I thought I was safe, because I cleared the area.

Also, the lore learns from Dark Souls' oblique vagueness, but fails to understand the most important lesson about why Dark Souls lore is so good: less is more. The overall light/dark ash theme is cool, and the artstyle, etc., but then some giant fantasy dude with a big absurd fantasy voice vomits generic fantasy exposition and I'm like "well, that's cool, bye."

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
Most likely it was a real person and not your AI companion. AI companions stay pretty much by your side, unless their path finding gets wonky. The easiest way I've found to get a feel for how AI behaves so it's easier to spot a human player is to turn off the Multiplayer so the game is forced to load in an AI partner instead. Then do vice versa. Also, when I get grouped up with someoen and I'm not sure I'll usually try beckoning, randomly jumping, and spinning in circles to clearly show I'm not AI - and almost all other human players I've ran into have done the same.

What can also happen is the game will despawn your AI partner when it has found a human to partner you with, and sometimes the human partner will despawn because they got too far away, or used fast travel/recall stone to go back to the home base - and then the game will try to populate in another AI or Human player.

For me, I've found it best to use the settings menu to pick and choose what kind of companion I want, and turn off the other so there is less of the phasing in and out. Either always an AI that follows me but sometimes gets stuck, or alway a Human (if available). You get less of the drops, and depending on the situation, the companion can be more reliable.

As an example, I forced the Human companion to help run through the Seat of the Matriach dungeon. It was slow going, but sometimes you'd get partnered with someone who had run sections of it before so they could show you the tricks - where things were hidden - and how to tackle encounters. Then when i got to the boss I kept getting grouped with people who would recall out of the boss encounter when they were dying. (either it was the first time, or they didn't want to loose the scoria, or something). So I switched over to an AI companion, and after a couple more tries for me to learn the patterns, we were able to defeat it.

That's really helpful, I've turned off multiplayer for now to see how I do. Thanks!

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
So, what the hell do I do here?

hodjBs8.jpg

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I love the design of enemies in this game. Just did a simple sidequest and the item was guarded by a great looking enemy and was warping all over the place. It wasnt a difficult one but still cool that "easy" enemies can be special also.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell does the Hearth relic do? It has no discernible description, yet the game wants me to drop 10,000 on it.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Relics in general I'm confused by. I went for the one that gives you wings, because who doesn't want wings - and the stats were neat too, extra scoria, or reflecting damage. The problem is... I can't seem to figure out how to get the wings to grow? The game says they can grow and that will change their funciton, but I've never seen them change from how they initially appear.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell does the Hearth relic do? It has no discernible description, yet the game wants me to drop 10,000 on it.
I believe it's the one that you start with. And it doesn't cost 10K to equip that one, it costs 10K to switch your equipped relic, period. The only reason you'd really want to switch back to that one is if you don't like the visual changes on your character caused by the other relics.

Status
Not open for further replies.