• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wondering if anyone is playing this on PC at all. Just did the first area and first boss, feels like the partner was a player MAYBE once, because it popped in, disappeared quickly, and was quickly replaced. Might be connection issues? Other times seemed to be pretty obviously AI.

I kinda wish they were less frequently helping at this point. Feels like they're around way too much. Maybe it's just because it's early.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Wondering if anyone is playing this on PC at all. Just did the first area and first boss, feels like the partner was a player MAYBE once, because it popped in, disappeared quickly, and was quickly replaced. Might be connection issues? Other times seemed to be pretty obviously AI.

I kinda wish they were less frequently helping at this point. Feels like they're around way too much. Maybe it's just because it's early.

You can deacticate and reactivate both Multiplayer Matchmaking and the AI helpers at any Time if you want to try that

AaronWatermelon

Designer at Rocketwerkz
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

AaronWatermelon

Designer at Rocketwerkz
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Just wrapped the game up - had a ton of fun. Had a few moments of input lag, and some other oddities, but on the whole, A44 did a great job with this game. Can't believe you can play something like this on Game Pass day one.

Yager

Oct 26, 2017
The game keeps prompting me to press the menu button to open the map...but it opens the menu. Am I doing something wrong?

Kalina76

Banned
Nov 20, 2018
Just wrapped the game up - had a ton of fun. Had a few moments of input lag, and some other oddities, but on the whole, A44 did a great job with this game. Can't believe you can play something like this on Game Pass day one.
Is the greyed out option in the main menue something like new game+ then?
Can you take a look?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man the encounter with the NPCs after the first boss is so cool.

Ashen is probably the first "souls" style game to actuall have some interesting atmosphere, art direction, and world. At least of 3D ones.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
How are the bosses in this game, is there a good roster, are they fun?
I only fought the first one, but it was quite fun yes. The combat is not as fluid as Dark Souls though, which can make some fights a bit awkward at first.

Man the encounter with the NPCs after the first boss is so cool.

Ashen is probably the first "souls" style game to actuall have some interesting atmosphere, art direction, and world. At least of 3D ones.
I love that it feels like a Souls game but doesn't try to be a straight copy of the formula and world building usually found in FROM games.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, the game just hard crashed on me.

Sucks because I was absolutely miles from Vagrants Rest... now I'm going to have to trek all the way back down to do Vorsa's hunting mission...

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Welp, the game just hard crashed on me.

Sucks because I was absolutely miles from Vagrants Rest... now I'm going to have to trek all the way back down to do Vorsa's hunting mission...
It probably saved at the intermediary ritual stone. But tbh that's only like a two minute hike from Vagrant's Rest to the hunting ground. You'll be going on much longer treks later.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
On the X here. Why does my guy kinda stutter forward a lot? I'm just walking not running, but a lot of the time he doesn't just move. He half steps, like I stopped pressing forward for half a second...constantly. It's really annoying.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck I had no idea this was coming out this month. I've been waiting for this one since it's trailer debuted at one of Microsoft's E3 conferences. Super excited to play this.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
It probably saved at the intermediary ritual stone. But tbh that's only like a two minute hike from Vagrant's Rest to the hunting ground. You'll be going on much longer treks later.
This was a much later mission, I was down near the Tower of Gnomon. Which I cannot figure out how to get past...

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
This was a much later mission, I was down near the Tower of Gnomon. Which I cannot figure out how to get past...
Oh. Yeah. I died there a lot my first time through too. My condolences.

Does this game have fast travel? I couldn't figure out how to do it, if there is. And if there isn't, why did they name them Travel Stones?
Yes.
It's at the end of the third area, after you free the baby whale dragon thing from the second boss fight.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone tried co-op yet, how is it compared to single player? Or is that not a thing anymore (co-op)?

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who hasn't really played any of the Souls games, Ashen is absolutely kicking my are. Going to take a break from it for today and try again tomorrow. Love the aesthetics and overall feel and tone of the game so I definitely want to keep going.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
My AI companion is kinda wonky. Sometimes it doesn't appear for long awhile after I summon, it killed itself a couple of times and I just stood still for 2 minutes in front of a door waiting for them to use the other lever so we could get into a dungeon (and they died a minute in)

I'm enjoying the game a bunch still, and I really dig the concept of always having someone with you, but this aspect it's not working as well as I hoped

Last edited:

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what the two attack values for each weapon are in the menu? One is shown with a filled in circle, the other with a circle outline.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Third crash. Just about to reach my objective too. Ahh well... I'll shelf this until a few more patches.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
For those who are trying to run the game on Windows 7, you have to remove the DbgHelp.dll from the Ashen\Ashen\Binaries\Win64 folder in order for it to run, assuming you get a .dll file error when trying to start the game.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Anyone played much coop using the filter?

I'm a few hours in and a friend of mine wants to start it, wondering if I'm going to be able to help him.

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
those of you playing on PC, have you ever matched up with another player? I just unlocked fast travel and I have yet to play with a real person T_T

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Big difficulty spike for me upon reaching Whispers. I can beat most enemies in 1-2 hits, but they can beat me in the same. I only have a few sets of armor, and not being able to upgrade them or some defensive stats to shore up weaknesses outside of equipping Talismans is kind of a bummer. Combine that with bigger clusters of enemies (some of which can one shot me with a suicide attack) and I've died more in the past hour than the previous 5.

Also the game is crashing a lot.

EDIT: Yeaaaah I think I'm done with this game. Thanks for the uneven gamerscore I guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
For those experiencing crashes do you find you lose a lot of progress from them? Wondering if it's best to wait for a patch or two before kicking off my own playthrough.

Arkaine

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe this problem has been posted already in this thread...
Ashen boots up in Chinese, is there a way to fix this? My Xbox One X is set to English.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this problem has been posted already in this thread...
Ashen boots up in Chinese, is there a way to fix this? My Xbox One X is set to English.

Yes. Someone else hit this earlier.

Your game just defaulted to the first language in the options list (UE4 issue) . You just have to get into the options and correct it.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
That second dungeon is up there with some of the hardest moments in souls, even with co op. If you lose your partner during that journey to the boss, your better off turning around and trying again lol.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Got to the first Boss and killed him on my second trek back because he kinda comes out of nowhere and I wasnt ready for it...still had to get revived by the companion and revived him at some point as well...nice cutscene after that....I love how the town grows after you do side and main quests.

Worried about the harder part later on but for now I am using the 2 hand club or whatever and decided to upgrade that one...also those traders,am I not understanding the trade right...? I can trade my health potion and not buy some...? why would I want to do that lol,constantly down to 1 or 2 potions...

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit this game is AMAZING. I played about 20 minutes the day it came out and thought 'hmm, this is VERY Dark Souls' But I've started to put some more time in and it's just... wonderful. I love it.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I must say, I've been pretty impressed with this game (playing on Xbox one X). It has been really solid, interesting characters, I love (what seems to be) the mechanic of having a lantern in dungeons as they have no light. I've played a few hours, enough to beat the first 2 (3?) bosses.

Combat has been good, although I find the weapons a little samey, not a lot of variation in move sets. The environments don't feel quite like they have the pronounced variation of souls, but have overall been good so far. The addition of actually decent jumping and (gasp!) climbing really makes a difference in exploring areas.

It takes a lot of core mechanics of souls (coin stashes, NPC quest lines, etc) and makes them more obvious. I'm not sure if I prefer that or not, but its not a bad change. For some things it is welcome, such as showing the value of a coin stash before you open it. I'm not as big on the NPC quest progress bar as compared to the obscurity of souls, but that is probably just me as overall it is likely a positive change.

Graphics are nice, a bit sterile, but I enjoy the look. I'm on a sub 1080p set but in 4K mode things are razor sharp, nary a jaggie to be seen. There doesn't really seem to be any appreciable performance difference to go to 1080p mode, so as for now I don't see any reason to switch even if the graphics upgrade is a bit negligible on my aging screen.

I would guess that since there are no stats, etc, there won't really be the longevity of souls games, as there are not really "builds" as such, and there doesn't seem to be any melee alternatives.Hopefully we get some DLC down the road to pad that out, but as it stands now it looks like it will be a quite enjoyable 1-2 playthroughs which is more than reasonable for the asking price.

I was not prepared for seamless co-op, I didn't really know anything going into this game. So the first parts of the game I was wondering what Jokels problem was as he just ran off and did whatever he wanted, got killed a bunch of times, and would just sometimes be there and sometimes not. I kept hitting "Beckon" and being ignored, thinking to myself "NPC AI seems a bit hit or miss....". It took a bit of time for me to clue in and realize that it was another human player ;)

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Is there a vault or cache of some sort? Inventory is totally full but don't wanna discard weapons I might use later.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a vault or cache of some sort? Inventory is totally full but don't wanna discard weapons I might use later.

Yes, I'm not sure if it is in the "town" right from the start and I just didn't see it, or if it is built up later. But there is a storage chest right across from the table where you equip the talismans.

Status
Not open for further replies.