• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
What's the resolution on the X? Still looks kind of blurry

Also, last minor complaint for now but the lack of curly hair options in games remains a bummer.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
What's the resolution on the X? Still looks kind of blurry

Also, last minor complaint for now but the lack of curly hair options in games remains a bummer.
Blurry? Looks real sharp here on the X + OLED.

I also notice you mentioned banding earlier in the thread, but there isn't any banding at all here. And trust me, I hate banding.

Check your settings, something isn't right.

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I'll have to look at my video settings later, probably changed something when I was out of town and using a hotel tv for thanksgiving

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm falling in love with this game, done a bunch of side quests, exploring and the first boss... however I'm running out of storage space which is making me reluctant to progress.

Is there a storage chest anywhere? I found a reddit post saying look right from main rock at base and Game Informer article said it's at Vagrants Rest but been searching for the last 20 minutes to no avail. Can anyone help me out here?

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm falling in love with this game, done a bunch of side quests, exploring and the first boss... however I'm running out of storage space which is making me reluctant to progress.

Is there a storage chest anywhere? I found a reddit post saying look right from main rock at base and Game Informer article said it's at Vagrants Rest but been searching for the last 20 minutes to no avail. Can anyone help me out here?
You gotta explore new areas/so quests then return to the base. They constantly rebuild, eventually you can find a chest.

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
You gotta explore new areas/so quests then return to the base. They constantly rebuild, eventually you can find a chest.
Thanks. I had a feeling that might be the case as the village has changed once, any idea how much longer until a storage container appears? Seems like it should be one of the first things that should be there.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
In Sinders area. Gonna take on another boss I think. Been mostly playing it all day.

I like it. It runs pretty well on the X and the combat is responsive. While some games take their inspiration from Dark Souls Ashen steeps itself in it. I'm pouring that sweet estus-er, tree sap all over my face that has no mouth.

While it apes a ton from DS the game still manages to find some of it's own identity. The graphics are simple but very striking. When you finally see that space whale that's been shown in the trailers it's very cool. The game still has some of that oppressive feel of a souls game but it's more hopeful too, thanks to a town that you start at the beginning of the game. It's pretty cool in that every time I come back to base it seems like something new has been added on to or built.

You don't really raise your levels here. Souls are used to upgrade weapons or buy talisman/relics. This is where your build stuff kind of comes in as some weapons focus on crits while others have stun. Some relics up tour health the farther you are from town and another boosts your damage reduction (? I think it'/s that) while you're close to another player.

It's small Souls. And I'm prettu down with it so far.
For who is playing. The game is really like Souls?
It's pretty souls.
Where's the storage in Vagrant's Rest?
Near the runestone. Might take a bit to show up though. I was wondering if there even was one and then it showed up when I came back one time.
That Childeren of something in the main menu is probably dlc right?
I'm wondering if its some type of new game plus deal.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Playing on PC, I get a rock solid 60 fps. However, there are these extremely annoying microstutters that happen constantly every 3-12 seconds. It's not related to autosaving (that gives me a small stutter, but it's different). And I don't think it's related to loading/streaming as I can get them when just panning the camera around while standing still.

Anyone else getting these non-save microstutters, or know of a fix?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Game director on why the game is exclusive to the Epic store. Sounds like the Windows 10 version wasn't actually stopped by this deal and it was a resource issue.

http://www.ashen-game.com/news/ashen-launch

Happy launch weekend! We hope everyone is enjoying the world we've created in Ashen. It has been a labor of love, and we couldn't be more thrilled with the reception we are getting from players and critics alike after releasing live at The Game Awards last night.

As many of you are aware, some members of our community have questions about the launch strategy and initial platform availability for Ashen, which we would like to discuss before boarding the long flight back to New Zealand.

Let's begin with the Windows 10 availability in the Microsoft Store. The Xbox One launch of Ashen could not have been a better success story, in our opinion, and Microsoft has been unbelievably supportive throughout the development of Ashen. We are currently working with our partners at Microsoft and the ID@Xbox team on bringing Ashen to the Microsoft Store on Windows 10 as soon as possible. We wholeheartedly agree that this would have been better available day one. We are a small studio that just shipped a very big game, but have been actively working to get it there. Rest assured, it is coming.

Launching on the Epic Games Store is a unique opportunity that does not come around for an indie title like ours very often. Our publisher, Annapurna Interactive, approached us with a unique opportunity from Epic Games to make Ashen a hallmark title for their store's launch. As a developer we want as many players as possible to have the opportunity to play Ashen. A big part of that is having Ashen featured in a place that isn't crowded and at an exciting time when a great new platform, one that genuinely wants to do the best for developers and players alike, first launches. The promotion we are and will be receiving from our partners at Epic is tremendous. It is incredibly rare to have an opportunity like this, and we are honored and proud to have earned this opportunity. This was not a decision that was made lightly.

Epic Games have been with us from the very start, with us having received a huge amount of support from their Unreal team in addition to a development grant when we were first starting. Ashen would not have existed had they not believed in us from the beginning. We have so much heartfelt gratitude for the helping hand they have shown, and we are honored to be a premier launch title on a platform that is so important to them.

Right now you can play Ashen on all the hardware we have promised since day one. We know that is not enough for everyone. We will be coming to other platforms in the future. If you must wait for those, we totally understand. We are super proud of the game and hope you will enjoy it whenever and wherever you play it.

Thank you for supporting us, and please continue to follow us here for all the latest updates.

Sincerely,

Derek Bradley
Game Director

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm disappointed that enemies respawn after you leave and return to an area. Just by walking far away enough and then coming back, previously slain enemies are there again.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
LOL, I didn't realize there was a multiplayer component. I think I'll turn it off because I can't subject some person to me wordlessly exploring the world instead of moving toward the quest goal. Hope the bosses aren't too bad with the AI companion.

AaronWatermelon

Designer at Rocketwerkz
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone got to the twisted canyon yet? Stuck figuring out how to get through the broken entrance to that area.

CloudCircus

Dec 9, 2017
Playing on PC, I get a rock solid 60 fps. However, there are these extremely annoying microstutters that happen constantly every 3-12 seconds. It's not related to autosaving (that gives me a small stutter, but it's different). And I don't think it's related to loading/streaming as I can get them when just panning the camera around while standing still.

Same thing on Xbox One X. Maybe they will patch it. It hasn't happened too many times for me though

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017

I also get them from time to time. Probably happens when the game is loading stuff. I use a ssd btw.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Final boss really kicking my butt. Tried for a good couple hours last night to beat it, think my weapon needs an upgrade, dying consistently with just 1/10 HP on the bar left. Really bummed that I won't be home over the weekend, am absolutely in love with the game.

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
You'll know when a real person is near. A white human shaped icon pops up on your top navigational area. You'll also see their health bar appear next to yours.
It's pretty cool. Have run into quite a few people on Xbox. Works like Journey (have not played with the password thing tho)

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Damn game is really good. Doesnt match the atmosphere of a Dark Souls game but i find it more fun and accessible. Its definitely easier and kore forgiving.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Found a sick little spot to grind a large amount of $$ in the first large area. Cave to the north of Vagrant's Rest.

Farmed for 15 mins and was able to buy the 10k talisman, the 3 upgrades and smith 3 of my weapons, 2 of them twice.

Pretty dangerous though as mobs were 1 shotting me, but not too bad.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a stash in the game, or a place to sell unwanted items? Should I just be dropping old armor to make room?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Ah found the stash.

Also, I pressed up on my dpad by accident, now I don't have an ai companion. How do I get him back?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm no Souls fan but I'm drawn to this game. Combat takes getting used to for me. I just find the controls in general clunky. Really like the aesthetic tho.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Reposting because I realized my last comment was mistyped nonsense. Do people join your game as the ai companion? They seem bad most of the time and never like to descend a slope with me but earlier they seemed to be matching my strikes which made me think it was a person lol

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I may have to refund my game if possible because Epic Games has not responded to my tickets and I cannot even get the game to launch on PC. I've spent hours on this and it's sapping my will to play it. Not a great first impression of their storefront.

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine so far, it's a simplistic version of Darl Souls 1 combat. Design of the environment is solid and poking around has been rewarding enough, helps that the jump allows for a little extra mobility.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I played about 90 minutes tonight and this game makes a strong first impression. Ashen seems to lean into a strength of the Souls series, and something other 3D Souls games have shied away from, which is the slower rhythm of gameplay. It pays to be patient, to wait for an opening to attack, to explore every inch of the world. It apes Souls in a lot of other ways, like the setting of a world stuck in a perpetual loop of decay and renewal, and a reliance on item descriptions to tell the story. Those structural comparisons might hurt it in the long run if it's not as fleshed out. But the important thing is how it feels to play, and it really feels like the first 3D game inspired by Dark Souls 1 rather than the reputation of Dark Souls.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I played until right after the first boss, game is fun so far. feels like basically a perfect cross between Absolver and Dark Souls 1

the environments seem great, both aesthetically and in terms of level design. I have a real big nitpick though: I really don't like it when games put visual collectibles in hard-to-reach places, then make it totally impossible to gauge by sight alone whether you can climb up to them. was really disappointed to find that this game has the "34 degree slope, you can walk normally, 35 degree slope, you're sliding backwards" thing—that, plus context-sensitive climb prompts, means that trying to figure out if you can climb to something requires a whole lot of flailing and button-mashing against a wall that perfectly resembles other climbable walls. I've already had to move on from some lootable bodies with zero idea of whether I missed a path, should come back later with a powerup, whatever

i think it was integral to souls design that they didn't have this! please stop putting this in games!

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How do you get your companion to follow you after you accept his mission to find his brother? He just waits at the camp.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Downloading now on my 1X. Hopefully I can get to it before the end of the year after I'm done with Mutant Year Zero.

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018

hm no. just played for atleast 4 hours all maxxed out with motion blur off and i got no stutter at all.

Ingueferroque

no clue but as soon as i get into a fight he is there instantly. Its weird really.

Oct 25, 2017

probably audio

Necronomicon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
I like the game it's only 40 euro. More games need this price. The game is also good. Not perfect or with novelty in it, but enjoyable.
On winter sale on steam it would sell very bad, so I understand the reason to put it on Epic Store.

Status
Not open for further replies.