• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The rapper ASAP Rocky was charged on Thursday with suspicion of committing an assault causing actual bodily harm on June 30 in central Stockholm, Swedish prosecutors said in a statement.

The prosecution will proceed "despite claims of self-defense and provocation," the public prosecutor Daniel Suneson said in an email.

The rapper, who was identified in a statement as "an American artist," will remain in custody until a trial begins, he added. The trial must take place within two weeks, under Swedish law. Two members of Rocky's entourage also face a trial.

The punishment for Rocky could include a fine based on his daily earnings and up to two years in prison, said Annika Collin, a spokeswoman for the Swedish Prosecution Authority, in a telephone interview.
"It is worth noting that I have had access to a greater amount of material than that which has previously been available on the internet," Mr. Suneson said in the statement. "In addition to video material, the injured party's statements have been supported by witness statements."

Will this kick up shitstorm as this case has elevated to such visibility thanks to involvement of Trump?

Edit:
Prosecutor's evidence
▪ Movies from mobiles and surveillance cameras.

▪ Police photographs and maps from the crime scene.

▪ Photos from surveillance cameras showing the suspects as they leave the hotel with the bodyguard and return after the incident.

▪ Monitoring seeds from the MAX hamburger restaurant, which shows the initial course of events.

▪ ASAP Rocky's own movie.

▪ SMS from the bodyguard's cellphone showing conversations in which he states that they hit the target, that they have their own film of the event, that there are different versions of the film and that he lifted the target in the neck so that he lifted from the ground.

▪ SMS from an assistant's cell phone stating that someone hit a bottle on the goal owner, that she was asked to film, that someone said she "missed the good parts", that ASAP Rocky's movie was edited before it was posted on instagram, and that she hopes that Mayers deleted everything from his cellphone.

▪ Journal notes, legal certificates and photographs of the plaintiff's injuries.

▪ Comparison image: parts of bottle found at the crime scene, compared to the bottle that Rakim Mayers holds in his hand on an instagram movie.

▪ Bottle neck photographs found at the crime scene. DNA analysis of the bottleneck. Photographs on the plaintiff's headphones.

The oral evidence consists of:

▪ Inquire with the plaintiff, ASAP Rocky and the other two defendants.

▪ Inquire with the one who was in company with the plaintiff, who appeared in the movies.

▪ Interrogate two witnesses, who the prosecutor proves that bottles were used as a concealer, that the plaintiff was hit and kicked by several people, and that no emergency defense situation existed.

Thanks Paganmoon for the link in post #19.

Edit 2: Removed press release link, didn't notice date. It was release about arrest originally.

Last edited:

NiceRiceBowl

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Posting Xenophobic Conspiracy Theories and Excusing Violence; Account in Junior Phase
The drug addict, Afghan migrants that got a beat down had committed 20+ sex crimes in Sweden, one involving a 4 yr old. Seriously, fuck these guys.

They harassed, provoked and stalked A$AP and friends - They deserved a beating

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
The drug addict, Afghan migrants that got a beat down had committed 20+ sex crimes in Sweden, one involving a 4 yr old. Seriously, fuck these guys.

Where did you read that? I didn't think their identities were known.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017

The fuck is this? You going to source any of this or just spouting nonsense?

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
His bodyguard messed up... should have gotten rocky the fuck outta there before the fight happened.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
User banned (3 days): Condoning violence.
Have you seen the footage of the two guys following ASAP around? They deserved a beating by the look of it.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Source? And no, even if they did that, they did not deserve a beating. That's not how this works.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden

Uhm, Swedish news rarely reveal the identities and histories of people involved in legal cases like this, where did you possibly find this info?

Have you seen the footage of the two guys following ASAP around? They deserved a beating by the look of it.

We have, and while they were being assholes, still not a ground for physical violence in this country.

Last edited:
Translation of Swedish article about charge, mentions use of weapon (bottle)

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Google Translated from Swedish article. I have added some small fixes of the translation in red text

Prosecution is brought against ASAP Rocky for assault
Published today 08.50
ASAP Rocky has been detained in Sweden since July 5 following a fight in Stockholm on June 30. Prosecutor Daniel Suneson now announces that the artist will be prosecuted and will be remanded until trial.
"I have prosecuted all three for abuse(assault) of the normal degree," says Daniel Suneson.

ASAP Rocky, actually called Rakim Mayers, was arrested after playing at the Smash festival in Stockholm on July 2 and has been detained since July 5. Prosecutor Daniel Suneson has now decided to bring charges against the artist. Since ASAP Rocky was deprived of liberty, all his tour dates in July have been set, a total of twelve scheduled gigs.

Prosecution is also being brought against the two other men who were arrested and detained at the same time as the artist. They will be remanded in custody until trial.

"Used bottle"
- You have (One has) used a bottle and handed punches and kicked a person lying down on the ground. They say it has been emergency defense or provocation, but I mean it is a crime, Daniel Suneson tells the Culture News.

According to the police's preliminary investigation, the defendant allegedly had been abused by three men, and suffered minor injuries and cuts on the arms from a broken glass bottle. Earlier this week, Suneson also decided to close the preliminary investigation against the person who is the defendant in the case, which was counter-reported by ASAP Rocky's bodyguard for the abuse.

- It is based on the fact that I have had access to material that has not been known to the public before and which I believe shows a partly different course of events than what one can see that has been posted online. What he does there is within his emergency defense right.

Where does that movie material come from?

- Mainly surveillance camera from Max hamburger restaurant and one to (one more) mobile film showing a larger part of the event.

Suneson also says he was not affected by the clash of political dimensions and that Donald Trump called Prime Minister Stefan Löfven on behalf of ASAP Rocky's.

- It is clear that I read newspapers and watch TV, but the large media reporting does not affect my decision to prosecute.

At 11:30 am on Thursday, ASAP Rocky's lawyer will hold a press conference on the message. SVT broadcasts live from 11:20 on svt.se

Received great attention
The arrest of the world star quickly became a major international news and over time has become a political issue. A call for ASAP Rocky to be released has collected 620,000 signatures, and several US top politicians have demanded that the rapper be released immediately. US President Donald Trump has been in contact with Prime Minister Stefan Löfven about the incident, and this week the Swedish ambassador to the United States was called back from his vacation to deal with the uprising.

- The international framework cry is mainly due to many misunderstandings about the Swedish legal system, including that Sweden lacks a bail system like in the US. It has been running campaigns like #freeasap, and if you come from an American perspective, you can pay instead of being detained, says Dennis Martinsson, PhD in criminal justice, to SVT.

Today, prosecution has been brought. What happens now?

- Now the process is moving on and a court will have to decide what happened and whether he is guilty, says Dennis Martinsson.

- It is important to say that we do not have the whole course ready for us, in this situation only the prosecutor has it. We've seen these video clips, but not the whole picture of what happened. There must have been evidence during the preliminary investigation that the prosecutor believes that it is sufficient to prosecute and that one expects a conviction.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden

Flashback isn't a reliable source for Swedish news. Nor are pages like Samhällsnytt, Nya Tider, Fria Tider, Dispatch International or Samtiden.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
There's a video showing the guy following Rocky and his crew.I don't know about the other incidents though.
There is a video yes, but the people apart from Rocky (which is impossible to hide being involved) are never identified by either the police or news. Is this information official or is it some "internet detectives"?

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
There is a video yes, but the people apart from Rocky (which is impossible to hide being involved) are never identified by either the police or news. Is this information official or is it some "internet detectives"?
I have no idea.Let's wait for the guy to post his sources.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Weren't there girls in the first (or second, might've been a livestream too) video that recognised the two stalkers and called one of them out for sexually assaulting their friends?

free A$AP if that's the case.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Prosecutor says he has more evidence and witnesses huh? Why do I get the feeling the Swedish Government is gonna look like a bunch of bitches when the trial comes out?

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Has nice list of evidence prosecution has used for the case, added that bit to OP.

Yeah, I'd highly recommend people look through the slideshow in the article. It includes photos taken from the crime scene and the hospital. They guy got pretty badly beaten and had a number of nasty cuts that needed sutures.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017

"There is also a preliminary investigation in the case concerning the aggrieved party who is suspected of molestation and assault. "

That's not what the driveby said, what you're quoting is the counter-notice, which has since been dropped:

"In the case concerning an American artist who has been arrested on suspicion of assault since 5 July, a counter-notice was also made against an injured party in the case. The preliminary investigation has been going on in parallel where the injured party was suspected of abuse, assault and attempted assault. The preliminary investigation in that matter is now discontinued and the injured party is no longer suspected of any crime. "

Don't fucking run this guys errands for him.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
That's not what the driveby said, what you're quoting is the counter-notice, which has since been dropped:

"In the case concerning an American artist who has been arrested on suspicion of assault since 5 July, a counter-notice was also made against an injured party in the case. The preliminary investigation has been going on in parallel where the injured party was suspected of abuse, assault and attempted assault. The preliminary investigation in that matter is now discontinued and the injured party is no longer suspected of any crime. "

Don't fucking run this guys errands for him.

chill out big guy
tried shooting him some bail since I read the same weeks ago. haven't kept up with this at all.

it's still Free A$AP, don't stalk people with bodyguards!

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
chill out big guy
tried shooting him some bail since I read the same weeks ago. haven't kept up with this at all.

it's still Free A$AP, don't stalk people with bodyguards!

Why did the bodyguard let rocky participate in the fight tho?

Dumb decision all around.

Edit: and judging by the pictures they went way overboard with the violence.

free traviss scott

Last edited:

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Prosecutor says he has more evidence and witnesses huh? Why do I get the feeling the Swedish Government is gonna look like a bunch of bitches when the trial comes out?
Again, our government is completely separate from the judicial system.

Our politicians don't elect any judges like Americans do. There is nothing there to interfere. It's you Americans who keep calling our government demanding shit they cannot do anything about.

Crickey

Banned
Jul 16, 2019
So dumb, didn't the stalkers go free after they attacked the bodyguard first? Pathetic justice system they have there.

Nov 1, 2017
Do the people saying to free A$AP have any rationale for this beyond him being famous? Knowing that the law doesn't allow for retaliation in self-defense, that the law doesn't accept you breaking the law because the other guy potentially broke it first, what's the rationale for freeing him? Not knowing something is illegal or disagreeing with it being illegal has never been an accepted defense in any country with a functional legal system.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, people will straight up argue anything.

The judiary being "independent" doesn't somehow make it non government

In Sweden it does. Government refers to parliament here. They set the laws and the budget but aren't allowed to meddle in how state functions like police and prosecution operate. So you might want to use the correct terms here, especially when the US government is actually pushing the Swedish government to get involved in an unconstitutional way.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
As someone who knows nothing about this guy except that Kanye asked Trump to help him, context please?

So some celebrity with bodyguards beat up some guys who followed him around...
I'm not really seeing the basis for some of the impassioned defense that a couple posters here have brought up.
Should he not go to jail for beating people up or what?

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Do the people saying to free A$AP have any rationale for this beyond him being famous? Knowing that the law doesn't allow for retaliation in self-defense, that the law doesn't accept you breaking the law because the other guy potentially broke it first, what's the rationale for freeing him? Not knowing something is illegal or disagreeing with it being illegal has never been an accepted defense in any country with a functional legal system.

self defense

not arguing the legality of it. at least i'm not.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
But you are. There is line in the law, crossing it turn self defense into assault. It's what happened here.

Arguing that he should go free because it was just self defense you are arguing about legality of act he committed.

i'm sure my opinion on what constitutes as self defense differs from swedens

this isn't a courtroom, i'm not a lawyer

So you understand that it's illegal but personally think it shouldn't be and thus he should be free?

I'll take your word for it. Not particularly invested in Swedish Law

"FREE X RAPPER" is a silly meme phrase in the hip hop community to show support and solidarity I guess.